Thursday 16 January 2020

In-Floor Heating and Hot Water-On-Demand Blues: Thursday, January 16th!

Be kind to thy father, for when thou wert young, / Who loved thee so fondly as he? / He caught the first accents that fell from thy tongue, / And joined in thy innocent glee. -Margaret Courtney, poet (1822-1862)


Up at just before 6:00 am as El Diablo wanted me up to play soccer! Decided I would take advantage of the "wake-up" call to head out to shovel the front sidewalks as it has been snowing all night. Quite lovely out with not a hint of wind, snow crystals sparkling. Still a light fall coming down as the exposed sidewalk was soon covered with a dusting as soon as I'd removed last night's steady precipitation, about six inches, so there are snowbanks starting to form on either side of the walkways. 

The raised vegetable beds are almost completely covered and the solar light stands look like they are wearing top hats! Miss Etta was happy to stay inside, watching me work from the ledge of the picture window, while Duke followed me around, bounding through the drifts like a black kangaroo. However, when I finished the front he was waiting, crouched on the mat by the door, and dashed inside. I hadn't fed them before I went outside so both were agitating for breakfast! I zapped the mug of java I'd only had a few sips of before shoveling and put another couple of logs on the fire. Need to warm up the living room otherwise Lady Dar will spend the day curled up in bed with her bean bags and twelve pairs of socks! Certes, [Certainly], we don't need Meghan and Harry, at least in Penticton, as we have our own, exquisitely pampered royalty right here in town! God Save Her Ladyship! Hip Hip Hooray! [Crossed Snow Shovels Rampant!]

As soon as I sat down to enjoy my java El Diablo wanted to play soccer so we headed into the spare bedroom and I indulged him for ten minutes or so. He simply loves to bat a scrunchie out of the air and then worry it until I take it away and repeat the whole process, ad infinitum! He'd go all day if I was prepared to do so. Was reminded, from time to time, that we need to cut his claws as they are back to being needle sharp. Although he is usually very gentle, when tussling, in the heat of the moment my hands often receive a tiny puncture when I'm not quick enough to avoid his lightening quick swipes as he snatches the scrunchie out of the air!

Play time over I must needs head to the back driveway to shovel it. Will now have to "stockpile" much of the snow next to the patio fence as we don't really need that space until Chloë is back at work and has a company car. Trust the mound will have melted by this time but given forecast for more snow perhaps it'll turn into an iceberg by then.
  
Hi Snugglers! Lovely, 
lovely picture of you, Chloë, and The Little Chap! However, while you and your mother were still abed, I was up at just before 6:00 am, slaving way on walks and driveway. Unfortunately, last night our on-demand water heater turned itself off. Think some of the condensate that unit drains may have frozen with sub-zero temperatures of late. It was working yesterday afternoon but I didn't discover this until I was brushing my teeth, just before midnight.
 

[Now this is F-L-A-T!]

Nothing had changed this morning when I took another look at it. Pressing the On/Off button, twice, as per instructions, did not reset unit so Lady Dar called Apple Electric and someone was supposed to come around noon. At the time we hoped that if electrician ever arrived, [With snow and freezing temperatures everyone is having problems of one sort or another!], and had time, after looking at on-demand unit, we'd have him look at thermostat in our bathroom. Around noon I had a call from Apple and chap said he couldn't find our street. I thought this was a bit funny so I spelled the name and he asked where it was. "Just of Eckhardt", I replied. Company is in Port Alberni, Lady Dar! Great Net search! 

[Don seeks mental stimulation by checking his stocks] 
 
Anyway she managed to contact Curtis at Penticton Electric. He did wiring, etc., for kitchen renovation and is simply wonderful so pleased that he said he could drop by around 3:00 pm. I was out shoveling, [for the second time], the front walks when he pulled up. After looking at the on-demand water heater he determined there was no juice to unit, [I knew this but was unable to understand why, after looking at breaker panel.], and everything quickly fell into place.


[When in doubt (or when in El Marasal), eat]
 
When I was out, earlier that morning, I tried to turn on the Christmas lights we still have outside as I thought they would like quite attractive in the pre-dawn dark. When they wouldn't go on I decided I'd look at the plug later and set about shoveling. What Curtis discovered was that this plug has a ground-fault interrupter which was probably triggered by snow on power bar we used for lights. The previous owner had wired the two outside plugs on the same circuit, [at the time the present garage had not been built], so when the front plug tripped the one powering the unit was dead as well. As soon as he reset it the display came on and we had hot water!


[Back street bike shop had Shimano pedals, chains and more. Just what the doctor ordered.]
 
Then into the bathroom and Curtis said thermostat was correctly wired and he showed me how to set it. Even after consulting instructions Norm and I couldn't figure out how to set the sensor correctly, [Depending on how the system is configured there are a a number of different sensor settings.]. Curtis knew that it was to "Floor" mode, easily initiated, via the menu, and then the chip knew what to do! Cannot tell you how pleased I was to discover the solutions were so simple! Thanking him profusely, he went on his busy way. [He will bill us for an hour but more than well worth it if you are not Dusty who could do anything!] Another reason we are more than pleased to have him doing the electrical work on the basement suite Chloë will put in. We hope construction will start towards the end of the month.  
 
[Hotel Lachita was comfy and well kept, a contrast to the dusty street outside. -Ross]
 
Baja2020 — Day 10 (Jan. 16) Guerrero Negro —> El Marasal: What is there to say about Day 10? Borrring! 77 km of riding pretty much in a straight line, almost perfectly flat, grey sky, and drizzle light enough to get damp but not wet. (Flat light for a flat ride!)The best things were no rain, the ride went quickly, and we had most of the afternoon to enjoy the subtle pleasures of El Marasal. There, time was enjoyably spent at a taqueria, then checking out the big grocery store and other retail outlets, then going to a bike shop where Mark got some new pedals! (Tune the clapping and cheering crowds.) All that and I haven’t mentioned the very comfortable Hotel Lachita. As things turned out, not boring at all.

[Bella da Costa Greene, a Morgan librarian who is numbered among the women of the country earning $25,000 a year and over.]
 
Marlo: Started palliative sedation this afternoon as end is near. Very laboured breathing. Plans - Celebration of life afterwards- nothing funeral like- only upbeat! Ryan has asked Suzanne to take the lead on the actual celebration day as Mar had previously discussed what she wanted. Car has been working at locations - not sure if that is locked down yet but possibly at a golf course venue. What I do know is Ryan wants it to happen within 7 to 10 days from her passing if possible and most likely a weekday in the afternoon. I will let u know when I know more George Thanks for the update. It is hard to let go! Please let us know when as soon as you can. Chloë and I both want to celebrate Marlo's life and all that she gave to others. hugs and love corinne




 





No comments:

Post a Comment