Wednesday 29 January 2020

Dream, Dream, Dream and the Begonia Blues: Wednesday, January 29th!

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against its government. -Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (29 Jan 1927-1989) 


I cannot attend if the group meets on the 12th. That’s a work night for me. 12:30 - 9:00. 🙁🙁 Louise [Either date is fine with me. Luigi I am happy for the Wednesday.  Dianne] 
 
Anthony Comstock, who destroyed 15 tons of books 
and gave us comstockery
Photo: Wikimedia
Hello again, Back-and-Forth Booksters! I just received a message from Louise and she cannot make February 12th, due to work commitments. Given the fact that group initially, and unanimously, agreed upon February 13th as date for next gathering, I strongly suggest we now keep this date. I further suggest that in the future, once a date has been set, we keep to this date, unless cataclysmic events rear their ugly heads, so that people are better able to plan their busy lives. It seems as if someone will always be on holiday or otherwise engaged so we simply have to try and satisfy the majority. If Pamela, the generous hostess, is still able to entertain us, more than lavishly, we will meet on Thursday, February 13th, at 7:00 pm, 1056 Littlejohn Rd, in the Independent Duchy of Naramatia! So let it be written, so let it be done! Cheers, Book Club Autocrat Patrizzio! Yaaay! Louise Feb 13 at 7 pm still works for me👍 Pam Hello The Giver of Stars Readers! Just a reminder that our next meeting will be on Thursday, February 13th, at Il Palazzo di Webster, just below Naramata Road North. Pentictonites are welcome to carpool. If interested, meet at The Burns Street Bistro at 6:30 pm. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Since I hadn't gone to bed until close to 1:00 am I decided I'd treat myself to a Lady Dar-like sleep-in this morning. Even Duke must have been tired as he curled up at the foot of the bed and we stayed in bed until just after 9:00 am! Miss Etta was not amused however, and agitated for breakfast as soon as I was up. Felines fed I pottered around the house until Lady Dar called from Winnipeg. All going extremely well there, given sad, sad circumstances for visit. She gave me a fairly detailed account of what they have been up to and who they have seen, so far. Apparently, Rowan James is a big hit and he has been passed around and admired, from friend to relative to friend, and so forth, without becoming upset in the least. Second cousin, Cody, even fed him a few nights ago so he seems to be in good hands.


Anyway, after we had finished our long chat I had a bite to eat and then suited up. Was looking forward to riding, without a flat, but knew I was in for a wind tunnel experiment. The forecast suggested that the wind, out of the SSW at between 34-39 km/h, gusting between 50-53 km/h, according to Penticton Airport, was going to be a force to be reckoned with. While I was becoming a tad tired of repeating my route regulare, albeit, with minor variation, I could see no alternative but to do much the same today. Setting off at 1:15 pm, ride down Ellis was wonderful, hitting over 27 km/h with hardly any pedaling, such was the force of the tail wind. Knew, however, that I'd have to pay the piper at some point.

Anyway, once at PTC, I was pleased to find that I was reasonably sheltered from the worst of the blasts and with a couple of dipsy-doodles, into the two parking lots of the Lakeshore Inn, I had over 11 km on my trusty odometer, as I made my way along Lakeshore itself, noting the mini-ice floes piled up on the beach. The stretch along Riverside was a battle and necessitated standing up in the saddle if I was to make any headway. Then a quick threading of the lanes in the mall parking lot and I headed north, this time hurled along so not so much as a complaint, Dear Reader. 

I had already formulated my "flight" plan by then so once I reached Power I only had a short stretch, fighting the hurricadoes, as I turned onto Churchill almost immediately, where I was, once again, reasonably sheltered from the blasts. Repeated this for seven circuits and then returned to the mall to do another seven loops on Churchill. When these gerbilizations were complete, once again to the mall and then all the way back to PTC. 

This route was the best that I could find and was pleased that it allowed me as much shelter, from the worst of the ferocious wind, as possible. Leaving PTC for Lakeshore, for the last time, I only required three or four more loops on Churchill before I could hit WWW and reach home a little after 4:00 pm. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4493169411#.XjIhrk2dPI4.email 

Once home I proceeded to do a mini-set of shouldares, those intended to relax my pectoral muscles, ones which I had been using on ride. My physio, Irene, stressed how important these exercises were, particularly after such physical activity. Those finished I had a quick shower and changed. I was off to The Dream to sell 50/50 tickets at 7:00 am so I had a bite of supper and then left, stopping at Chloë's to check her mail box and drop off the gate hardware I'd bought the day before. 
 
Was delighted to be able to take a couple of shots of four deer, in her neighbour's yard, grazing on the grass of her front lawn. They weren't at all fussed by me, even though I could almost reach out and touch them, across the low fence, simply twitching their large ears and fixing me with their bright eyes!

Begonia was performing this evening and I had heard her a number of times, on CBC, so I had some idea what her voice was like. Didn't know, however, that she and her band were from Winnipeg. Quite a coincidence, given that Lady Dar, and company, were there. Anyway, had loads of fun selling tickets before the show began and even bumped into the former owner of Joy Road Catering, whom I'd met, before Christmas. At that time she was with her good friend who happens to be in Chloë's book club and who brought over a fabulous casserole for Chloë once she was out of hospital, following birth of Rowan James. She wasn't along this evening as she and her family were in Mexico!

Place was sold out but I had a good seat, beside Hazel, next to bar. Was very impressed with Begonia's extraordinary and extraordinarily strong, strong voice. Also was taken with her lyrics, particularly Hot Dog Stand, a wistful ballad set around Market Avenue in the Exchange District of Winnipeg. The band, [lead guitar and drums], was very tight and I was most impressed with the lad at the keyboard. I mentioned, to Hazel, that he looked like he was hardly out of Junior High. Had a chance to thank him, after the show, and discovered he had a degree in music so he certainly wasn't a kid! Anyway, felt very proud to be from Winnipeg, although everyone already knows that all the best people come from there, Dear Reader!


Back home Duke was waiting for me so I poured myself a stiff rum with lime cordial, [Had a Dark & Stormy at the Dream while listening to Begonia!], and repaired to the Rumpus room to watch a couple of episodes of Longmire. I had hardly had a sip of my delicious concoction when The Boy curled up on my lap and remained there for the next couple of hours as I watched Walt and Vic and Ferg fight crime in Absaroka County! Great day, great evening and a great way to finish off the night, Lonely, Abandoned Boy that I am!

Hildegard Schmidt Patrick..ALWAYS enjoy reading your colorful emails.
Still in Lake Havasu enjoying the warm Arizona sunshine...see you two soon...Hugs from VON BINGEN..🙋‍♀️👍🤗🥂   


Hi Havasu Holidayer! Pleased you enjoy the posts and even have time to read them while you are on another of your exotic getaways! Nice life indeed! Glad all goes well. Just had a newsy massage form Gil and Phil, currently camping in Tuscon, and they are both well. I missed this past Monday's hike as I drove Lady Dar, Chloë/Rowan James to the airport, in Kelowna, that morning, although I plan to go this coming Monday as their flight, back from Winnipeg, isn't due until 4:00 pm. I assume you know that bok club will be meeting on Thursday, February 13th, as originally arranged, after some backing and forthing about changing it to day before, Wednesday, the 12th. No excuses now! Stay well and enjoy the rest of your holiday. Fondestos and best wishes to you, Von Bingen. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: deer in neighbour's yard this evening!


Baja2020 — Day 23 (Jan. 29) La Paz —> Los Barriles (112 km) & Day 24 (rest day in Los Barriles):



Only two more riding days! This day involved a fairly long ride from La Paz to Los Barriles, with a somewhat daunting 985 metre climb. The ride out of La Paz was a bit of a grunt due to busy morning traffic but before long the traffic thinned and we settled into the ride. As it turned out, the ride was very pleasant. For whatever reason, the anticipated challenge of riding over the mountains to get to Los Barriles never materialized — riders agreed that it was surprisingly easy. We stopped in the former mining town of El Triunfo (restored nicely with the help of Walton/WalMart money) for some tasty mushroom quesadillas at a roadside restaurant and a quick look in a neighbouring arts museum and store.
 
After leaving El Triunfo the road headed into a long and thrilling downhill — the best of our entire ride — twisting and turning down and down in sharp curves that just kept coming. Lots of fun! We rode past Los Barriles because we were staying a few km beyond at the Buena Vista Beach Resort. The day ended well despite Mark taking an unplanned detour over his handlebars after riding into a drain grate at the resort!

Beer and chips ensued, plus a hot tub and showers. Eventually, we headed in to Los Barriles for margueritas and dinner at Smokey’s — one of many bar/restaurants in this popular kite boarding centre — where we were afforded impromptu entertainment by a very inebriated American ex-pat who repeatedly inquired whether we thought he was an A-hole. We assured him not.

The next day was spent lolling about and then driving into Los Barriles to watch the kite boarders and Indulge in more eating and drinking.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment