Thursday 23 January 2020

Rowan James and the Kelowna Passport Office Blues: Thursday, January 23rd!

A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed--I well know. For it is a sign that he has tried to surpass himself. -Georges Clemenceau, French politician (1841-1929)


Patrick, Another interesting and newsy note - well rather a long letter. How was the movie 1917? It has received rave reviews. We are enjoying Chloe’s photos of Rowan on Instagram. What do the cats think of him?Are there noses out of joint when you pay attention to Rowan rather than them as they strike me as rulers of the domain? We arrived in Hawaii yesterday mid afternoon and are settled in. Terrace is being inundated with snow on a daily basis so a good time to be away. I must do my 7 Little Words and read the Vancouver Sun before it is time to get up. Cheers, Dawn
 
Hello Short Attention Span Person! 7 Little Words, indeed! No wonder you can barely finish a moderately long missive!!! Wonderful that you are back in Lotus Land, lolling on the sand and sipping umbrella decorated drinks while the rest of us live in the real world!

Lady Dar just left to collect Chloë/Rowan James to drive to Kelowna. He requires a passport for their trip to LA. They leave on February 20th, until March 7th, to celebrate Olivia Rose's first birthday and introduce Rowan James to all the Tinsel Town family. [Ayn, of course, flew up a few weeks after he was born so she has already met him, although he now weighs 12 lbs 7 oz as of yesterday's weigh-in! The Hulk!] Apparently, process will go much more quickly if form is submitted to Kelowna office. 


Just looked at the forecast and wind is out of SSE at 26 km/h, gusting to 41 km/h, temperature at 4º C, with no rain in sight, so I think I'll brave the hurricane force winds and ride again. Stay well, Beach Bums! Fondestos to you both. Cheers for now, Patrizzio! 

Before I left at just after 11:35 am I looked at the forecast and wind was shrieking out of SSE at 30 km/h, gusting to 41 km/h, temperature at 4º C, with no rain in sight, so I thought I'd brave the hurricane force winds and ride, but not into the Wall of Wind, Dear Reader. In fact, OCD sufferer that I am, I simply switched on autopilot, [Nifty little cycling app which connects, via WiFi, and implant, to my interpretive cortex and Trek, facilitates this, Dear Reader!], and followed yesterday's exact route again. 
 
A few differences, I must add, in keeping with full, transparent disclosure, [Do I sound as if I'm being impeached?], on my first loop, on Lakeshore, I hailed Hanneke and Doug, out for a walk, and chastised them for not riding! Then, about two thirds of the way through the ride, in the Riverside Mall, I spied Pam K, coming out of one of the stores and tracked her going into Starbucks. She didn't see me so I left her to her anonymity and continued on to Lakeshore. This time around it was Sir Tomasino of Naramatia, out for his daily constitutional, pedestrianing his way along the boardwalk. We hailed each other but I kept going, never even thinking about violating the Golden Rule: Thou Must Not Ever Touch The Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Cylclistii!
 

Funnily enough, as these things go, I came across him again, as he was crossing Power and we exchanged shouted greetings, once more. By this time, I had almost the distance I needed to head for home so after but three loops on Dynes I was ready for the WWW Highway. Yet again, just across from the SS Sicamous, Thomasino was on the sidewalk, opposite, so I invited him to stop by The Burns Street Bistro once he was finished walking. He thanked me but stated that he was off to luxuriate in the sauna at the Community Center after he finished his walk. Disappointed, but understanding, I suggested he call me next time he was perambulating so that we could arrange a congenial visit. Thumbs up, I waved goodbye and proceed along Lakeshore to make my way home, a route I have not taken in many outings, Nevertheless, the distances worked and I was home just after 2:30 pm.
Although the streets were relatively dry, I knew that my bike and chain had picked up quite a bit of grit and sand so I decided I'd give them both an "overall wash", [Thanks Sir Andrew!], so did just that, [using three pails of hot water],  before I put the bike back in the garage. [Will oil chain before next ride.] Then I split a reasonable amount of firewood, from the Swiss stacked pile outside the back door. Have completely depleted the wood on the south side of the house so needed to start on next "aged" stockpile. Once this last chore was finished, I went inside to make myself a sandwich as I was a tad hungry and wasn't sure what plans Lady Dar had for dinner. Simply chuffed that I was able to ride, at this time of year, so really cannot complain about such petty annoyances like wind and gravel on the road. Cheers!  Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4470998729#.XiqYn4V2WAM.email
 
Thanks for your news and photos Patrick. Sorry a little tardy on the reply, but I guess I was a little overwhelmed by the snow last week and this week I doubt if an hour has passed without a raindrop landing on our roof! Next week we are hanging out in the Coachella Valley with the intention of drying out (on the outside only).

Went and saw movie “1917” and can now truly appreciate that I never had to fight in a war. My dad’s kid brother didn’t make home - he was taken out in his typhoon over Normandy in 1944; but not before he nailed a couple of German tanks. I believe that typhoons were the first one-man aircraft to be able to launch rockets. When you are over here next I’ll show you his picture sitting in "William II”. That’s Me, I was born a year and half before so that is where the name originated. 


It was great to see pictures of Greg, I’ve been wondering how he is doing -and he looks fine. Your cousin’s wine was superlative, especially the Howell Mtn version. Lots of great wine has come from that Mtn. My stocks of the Dunn are gone. It was great looking at RJ and Chloe -in the first photo he looked worried but she looked contented. And I saw lots of glasses of wine around, so nothing has changed. Speaking of the grape, I am attending two tastings, one seminar and two dinners at this year’s edition of the big VIWF. That should finish me off. The featured country is France. Must get on with my exercises now; all our best to the girls and of course Rowan. Bill.


Hi Coachella Kids! Wonderful to hear from you and know you will be heading for dryer climes! We've always enjoyed our times in Palm Desert. If you have never visited Joshua Tree National Park you should do so, especially as these iconic plants are facing extinction, due to climate change!




Interestingly enough we saw 1917 last week. In light of what you mentioned about your namesake, Dusty, Corinne's father, was on a Canadian destroyer, patrolling for U-boats, during D-Day, and she lost two uncles, [one on her father's side, one on her mother's side], earlier in war, shot down, one over Holland, the other over Germany. My youngest uncle, Walter, knew George Durston, having met in training school. Walter went on to join the Dam Busters, [although he didn't fly on those raids, being assigned to the group later in the war], RAF 617 Squadron, and is credited with dropping the bombs which sank the Tirpitz in Tromsø Fjord. His pilot and Squadron Commander, James Tait, remained in the RAF after the war and was posted to Cyprus during the '50's, when we lived there. I can remember visiting the family and playing with their children.


Yes, Gregg is well. We had a great catch-up as it had been over a year since we last saw them. Your own coming wine-tasting events at VIWF sound terrific. I assume you'll be doing much the same with Californian wines when in Coachella. Mick and Polly Carter will be in Palm Springs for the month of March, while good friends, Lynne and Peter Lighthall, once of Naramata, now living in Victoria, are in Palm Desert for January and February, so you'll be in good company! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Stay well. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Buona Sera Dame Judith! Had hoped to congratulate you on last night's fabulous performance but couldn't find you after final curtain call, in itself a show-stopper! It was a simply wonderful, uproariously entertaining production and we had the best seats in the house, smack dab in the middle of the front row! Please pass along our thanks to all of the cast and crew. Congratulations, of course, to you, on your stellar performance! Even though you are already royalty, I know the Queen will soon be conferring another title on you! Ladies Companion of the Order of the Garter, here we come! Hip Hip Hooray! Break a leg with each of the remaining performances. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Legal and Illegal photos! Walk home along creek.

Thanks Patrick. I did come out to try and find you, but I had to get my mike off first. You had left by the time I got there. Judi Hi Judy Blue! Great to see you and Dianna at tonight's fabulous performance. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Rowan James waving to you! Yes I agree,Thank u for the photos Nice memories,

So nice to have a friend who always has a camera in hand to capture the moment Ps I can play on Monday nite if you have enuff for 2 tables I have been taking a back seat for those who are eager and don’t play that much Judy xoxo

Dear Corinne and Pat! We hope you and also Chloé and Rowan had a good start in 2020 and that everything is fine, so are we as well after the busy times.
We would like to send to Chloé a children book for Rowan James but we do not have Chloés address (and even we are not sure about yours). Would you be so kind and send us Chloé’s address. And yours we never know!
 


[Page from the Manesse Codex, a book copied and illustrated between 1305 and 1340 in Zürich.]  

Thank you very much for the wonderful pictures from you and a very happy mother with her beautiful baby boy (not to mention all the cats all around where they should not be!) Fondestos and Best Whishes to all you from Eveline and Heinz! 

Hello Favourite Bernese! Wonderful to hear from you and receive your good wishes. Trust everyone is more than well. Pleased you enjoyed the snaps of Rowan James. He and Chloë live on Winnipeg St and we are on Burns Street.

How goes your winter? Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Stay well, dear friends Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Galápagos penguin
Hi to everyone and hope all is well for you guys back home and you are enjoying the skiing and snow shoeing for those who do that. Hope everyone is good health-wise too. Phil and I are driving to Tucson presently to spend a week or so camping, biking and hiking there. we've just been to Yuma for our yearly visit to the dentist. My teeth are bad and I had to have another crown done - glad it is only about quarter of the price! Great weather south down here in the low seventies and sun. Sedona is around 60 degrees though sunny - still on the colder side for me but the clear sunny skies make the difference. We are still planning to be back around mid-april but maybe a week later if we go to see our son Aaron and Gwen in Lander Wyoming.
Max Warburg in 1904
It won't be before April 12th leaving as I have a 6 day backpacking trip in the Grand canyon coming back on the 10th. Also doing another 3-day backpack in a canyon,1 middle of March but that's easier than the Grand canyon one.
I only have one day to unload and repack for a 6-day kayak trip in Utah.
 
Everything else is going well. I'm back biking up to 20 km but not really hard things where there is possibility of a fall which would not be good for my hip. have to wait till I get back to do the hard mountain bike. So hip recovery is excellent and I'm doing nearly all the yoga exercises I did before surgery.
Also back to hiking though I'm not doing the long hikes that Phil does. I'm doing the shorter scrambling hikes and also been climbing once, only doing top rope - that's for the climbing buddies who know what that means.
Hello Gilliana and Phillipo! Wonderful to hear from you and receive your good news about hip recovery. From all the various activities you are pursuing you are certainly doing very well indeed. Bravo! Onward!!! Pleased you are both more than well and enjoying warmer climes.
 
Terry Jones!
Enjoyed a wonderful hike this past Monday and was hoping to join gang this coming Monday. However, I will be driving the Winnipeg-bound to the airport. Will probably head to the pool once I'm back. If dry weather holds I might ride instead.  Fondestos from Lady Dar, just back from Winnipeg, to you both. Stay well, dear friends. Cheers, Patrizzio!  Very sad indeed…what a talent! <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/01/22/terry-jones-actor-writer-director-comedian-found-fame-member/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1184641&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Reg&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Reg20200123&utm_campaign=DM1184641>
 
Life of Brian!
Hi Sir Andrew! Happy Lunar New Year! Trust you are well. I do apologize for not replying sooner. Thanks for the link to The Telegraph obituary of Terry Jones. Among other things I had not realized that there was, apparently, a difference of opinion with John Cleese. Can you hear me! Stay well. Fondestos and Cheers to you, Baldrick, and Anne, Il Conduttore!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment