Monday 20 March 2017

Vernal (Spring) Equinox, NH, Autumnal (Fall) Equinox in the Antipodes Blues: Monday, March 20th!

What didn't you do to bury me / But you forgot that I was a seed. -Dinos Christianopoulos, poet (b. 20 Mar 1931)


Hello Small Slammers! I am going to suggest that we play on Wednesday evening this week, beginning at 6:30-7:00 pm. Olga Polga has very kindly offered to host at her place in Summerland. Please let me know who will play so that we can arrange car-pooling and Rolly Polly will be able to ready the appropriate number of fabulous prizes! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Parrot People! Trust you are both well and survived St Patrick's Day! We were at a wonderful Irish whiskey tasting yesterday afternoon. Have been on a number of great rides over last few days. Must away for today's outing as forecast suggests rain for next few days, if not more! All the best from Lady Dar, just back from yoga class and now off to run errands. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Jo-Anne and Colin! Trust you are both well and survived St Patrick's Day! Yesterday, at SOWTS tasting, I started off with a pint of Guinness, though I wasn't "herded" into the bar! Great to be at Dram with you Colin. I had a blast. Gather you did as well! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Dram; Bridge, this past Wednesday and then Book Club on Thursday! Senka, on far right is the owner/winemaker at Terravista!

Dear Patrick Great to hear from you about your St. Paddy's Day Irish Whiskey tasting.  When in Dublin last year John and Eric went Irish Whisky tasting and they certainly found them to be interesting. Bought some and shared them with Colin. Thanks again for that wonderful St. Patrick's card.  I was able to show it to Colin and he enjoyed it as well. Those Lawson cards are of exceptional quality.

The Writers Festival Scotch Tasting may have been interesting to Colin but he really overdid it and his recovery was difficult.  What a mistake it was having him attend.  Anyways he has now recovered and he did enjoy tasting some of the scotches that he would never otherwise have had the chance to taste.

This past weekend I went with a good neighbor friend to Nanaimo and Qualicum Beach and stayed with Colin's mother in Qualicum.  She is 91.  The weekend hop was interesting--like Nanaimo city centre and harbor walk--with Vancouver Island Regional Library, conference centre, Port Theatre and museum.  We talked and walked and visited a wonderful Used Book store--quite impressed with their collection.  Then we investigated quilting shops as Diane is a quilter.  Ended the day in Qualicum and went to Coombs Country Market. Sunday was a spectacular day--had a great brunch seaside at the Shady Rest and left on the 5:00 p.m. ferry for Horseshoe Bay.  Mt Baker off in the distance and coastal mountains were spectacular.  All in all a great weekend.

Anyways--we were going to go to Lima Peru on April 10--decided to cancel because of all the flooding.  Sad but I am relieved.  Not sure what we will do now--managed to get our Aeroplan points back. So take care. Fondest regards are sent your way. Say hello to Corinne. Jo-Anne
Hi Qualicum Beach Beachcomber! Grand that you had such a lovely weekend on Vancouver Island. We have very close friends in both Parksville and Qualicum Beach. (I love cycling in this area and one of my favourite rides is to Englishman River Falls, up towards Coombs' Goats-on-the-Roof Market. What great spots are both! Have you seen the Buddhist Temple thereabouts?) Take care of each other. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
No Joke: A magician worked on a cruise ship. The audience was different each week, so, the magician did the same tricks over and over again. There was only one problem: the captain’s parrot saw the shows each week and began to understand how the magician did every trick. Once he understood, he started shouting in the middle of the show.

“Look, it’s not the same hat!” or “Look, he’s hiding the flowers under the table!” or “Hey, why are all the cards the ace of spades?”  The magician was furious but couldn’t do anything. It was, after all, the captain’s parrot.

Then one stormy night on the Pacific, the ship unfortunately sank, drowning almost all who were on board. The magician luckily found himself on a piece of wood floating in the middle of the sea with, and as fate would have it, the parrot.

They stared at each other with hatred but did not utter a word. This went on for a day… Two days… And then three days. Finally, on the fourth day, the parrot couldn’t hold back any longer and said…“Okay, I give up. Where’s the ship?”


Hi Patrick, Nice job on the illegal pictures. I don’t know what problem the grumpy guy in the green tie had. Cheers, Peter Hi Jugos Dom Guinness! Thanks very much for the pint! Glad you enjoyed the "blackmail" shots! I think the guy in fabulous, phosphorescent green tie was kranky because the sheep dog didn't herd him into bar! Cheers, Patrizzio! Is this how you got to have your Guinness? Irish sheep herding:

https://biggeekdad.com/2012/03/irish-sheepdog/#.WMwJp55b7hA.email


Hello Big Slammers (I can say this way after the GFA tournament :-). ) Yes, I plan to join the group, thanks Olly for hosting. Cheers. Mike I would love to play if I can car pool with someone Judy Hi follow Bridgies, See you at my place which will be open for bridge at 6:30 pm on Wednesday. Please let me know if you plan to play. Hear from you soon and see you then, Olly Hi Olly, You can count me in, hope we have enough for 2 tables. See you on Wednesday. Jos
Olly, Thank you for hosting Bridge this Wednesday. I cannot play on Wednesday this week as I will be listening to Mariachi music at the Barking Parrot. Pamela Thx Olly, As we said today Phil and I will be able to play. See you Gill

Hello Two Tablers! Yes, we have enough for two tables, [Even without Naramata Mariachi Goil!], on Wednesday at Rolly Polly's Bridge Emporium! Judy can play and so she should come to our house by 6:10 pm. If Spiller Road People would like to car pool as well, we can take five so you are both welcome to commute to Summeria! If Gilliana and Phillipo prefer to go it on their own, we'll collect you, Josinta, otherwise you'll have to take your electric-assist bike! Any, car-poolers please let me know if what I have outlined above is agreeable and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks to Olga Polga for hosting. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Ok I will be at your place at 610.patrick. Judy Thx Patrick, We'll take you up on your ride offer and be at your place 6.10 pm Gill and Phil Hi Car Pool People!
Great! We'll see everyone at 6:10 pm, on Wednesday, at our place. Sorry Josinta, you'll have to find your own way to Olga Polga's House of Cards! Cheers, Patrizzio! Okay, sensiblesummerland.com will find her way. See you at Olly's tomorrow. Jos Hi Sensible Summerland Lady! Just make sure you wear sensible shoes! Cheers, Your Favourite Bridge Partner Patrizzio!

Patrick, Thank you for inviting me to participate in your book group. I plan to attend on May 1. Please let me know what I should bring in the way of libations etc. Pamela Hi Ms Mariachi! Great that you will join the Book Club! I'll let you know what we should all bring, closer to the date. So far, Dame Judith, Von Bingen, Lady Dar, you and I are confirmed. I have no reason to believe that the others, other than Jake, perhaps, won't be attending, although I've not heard from Michelle either. If Wild Bill is interested he is more than welcome to join us as The Sisterhood expressed a desire to have more men involved. For my part, I'm happy with the odds! Anyway, I'll be in touch as things develop. Enjoy the Mexican music. Cheers, Patrizzio! 👍

Patriçio, My beemer, after a lube/oil and small electrical fix (darn, those German electrons are expensive) is itching for a flat out highway let’s-get-those-valves-loosend-up spin and damn the torpedoes … but keep an eye out for the Manning Park Welcoming Committee (RCMP). Hope to be there the latter part of April. I encountered another document about the merits of dogs. Read ‘em and weep you felines …Branko

Didn't leave the house until close to 1:45 pm as I had to lay a fire for Lady Dar. She was hosting a GFA meeting involving Caroling for a Cause and wanted living room to be cosy. Sun was shining but there was quite a cool breeze, NNW at 13 kph so I decided I'd make my first run to Summeria of the season. This way I'd fight the head wind on outward bound leg and ride the jet-stream on the return. Started off with the Lakeshore/Riverside/Power Street Loop before hardnosing the highway. Dipsy-doodled into Red Wing first, to complete a loop of both sections of the East development and then I was sailing along 97. Was pleased to find that the shoulder was relatively clear of accumulated grit and traffic was not overly heavy.

Going was not too, too bad, in spite of head wind and I quite enjoyed being back on one of my favourite "flatland" routes. Enjoyed seeing how some of the construction projects in Trout Creek had progressed since last Fall but was mildly annoyed that the bike path out of Trout Creek was still closed. Consequently, I had to ride back on 97 until I could exit onto Lakeshore Drive to make my way to Crescent Beach. Once there I looped Higgin Ave until I had logged 41 km and then set off back south again. 

Great not to be bucking the head wind and I zoomed along, making the transition back onto 97 without having to touch the Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Reader! Had managed to achieve an AVG of 22.2 kph by the time I was at Red Wing West and did a number of loops there to clock approximately 64 km before heading into Penticton. Needed to execute a couple of tiny didpsy-doodles before making for PTC but once there I knew I had the distance I wanted. By then, really hoped I could maintain my AVG at, or slightly above, 22 kph but knew it would probably drop on slight upgrade on Ellis and then into wind when I turned on White. Even so I was simply delighted to have logged the longest ride, of the year, along with the best AVG since last year. Hip Hip Hooray! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1631647555#.WNCLOWW_ZCc.email 

Hi Corinne and Pat, Sadly my dear old Dad slipped away last Thursday. I was with him about an hour before he died and he was quite comfortable. I left to come home and 15 minutes after I arrived had a phone call from the nursing home to say he had gone. I think he waited for me to go. Although we are all sad at his passing we are all somewhat relieved both for him and Mum. Love Trevor Dearest Trevor! Deepest sympathy on the death of your Dad. I know it meant a great deal to you that you had been able to be with him shortly before he slipped away and that he did so as comfortably as possible. Certainly understand what you said about both him and your Mum. Nevertheless, it is still a difficult time and a deep loss. Both Corinne and I send our heartfelt condolences to you and Tina and family. Much love, Patrick.

Hello To the Burns Street Sippers We have been watching the weather too as Dana wanted to take the first possible weather window to drive to the Island with Kian. She got away and we have a week which we will try to use for seasonal chores. Mind you I just got my VW bug out of winter storage and although I can't put the top down yet, it will be hard to resist. Bad time of year for incoming bills so that dampens any spring cavorting.
 

I was feeling good about picking up my insurance the other day when I was put firmly in my place at the counter. The agent was a very attractive woman in her thirties who proclaimed that I was the spitting image of her Nana. That was a first ...The regular hockey season is over and we know we at least have one playoff bid. I am ready for it to be over. I am ready to ready my postage stamp sized garden for spring. I do see some signs of growth. Do you have a garden at the house? Take care..

Hi Playoff Hockey Fans!! Grand that you have a bid! Buona Fortuna!!! Yes, we do have a "postage stamp" garden as well. Lady Dar reported, just the other day, that the garlic we planted last November, [Bulbs for good friend in Naramata that grows wonderful wonderful garlic!], has some tiny green shoots poking through. As well, the rhubarb root, [From a  friend in hiking group.], is showing signs of new growth so we are absolutely delighted, as new "green-thumbers"! Speaking of which, Lady dar is green with envy over your convertible Bug! Ellen, our next door neighbour, has one as well so this is a further thorn in Lady Dar's side! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi, Patrick Thanks for the email. I had just seen Jocelyn and Jim at a lunch last week at Athenes restaurant on Broadway near Alma Street. Both look well. Also there were Bill Watson, Tom Shorthouse, Ture Ericson, and a couple more people whom I forgot (happens alot to me these days -- the forgettting!)

Things going okay with my family. Have 5 grandkids now, all nearby in Vancouver or Coquitlam. Keeps my wife and me busy. I am doing some cataloguing of books for seniors who want to move and don't know what they have. Keeps me busy and brings in a few extra bucks. I go to the Y gym three days a week for exercise, Nice life.

Yes, it is too bad about Eldo, We are good friends, But Saltspring is just too difficult for me to get to and he is not really ready for visitors. Did you know Grace, his wife? Nice lady. Sad that she passed away. Keep up the biking. I will certainly let you know if we come out that way. Cheers and hello Spring! Matt

Hi Sunshine Coast Beachcomber! Glad to hear that you are busy and extended family is well. I had met Grace a number of times but really didn't know her. Cheers, Patrizzio!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment