Tuesday 21 March 2017

Return to Deep Water Walking Blues: Tuesday, March 21st!

Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace. -Benito Juárez, President of Mexico (21 Mar 1806-1872) 


Sorry, but babysitting a dog has made me sensitive to greater dangers …Branko
Hi Ragin'! You are obviously suffering from caffeine poisoning as a result of your need to stay awake while dog-sitting and consequent overuse of your shiny new java machina. Your dumb, Pavlovian dogs, (Squirrel! Squirrel!), are simply no match for our arts & sciences felines who relish knowledge for the betterment of humankind as well as the improvement of the lives of all pooches! On behalf of Professors, Etta and Duke, out pulling down walls in the neighbourhood, Cheers, Il Conduttore! Hi Kids: Beware Trump's growing influence!

Hi again, Ragin'! Sorry but I cannot add files to my messages! Just happened this morning when I went to add the Feline Professoriate! Similar to problem I mentioned to you some time ago when trying to access my contacts list. I'm going to try asking someone in Library Systems to see if it can be resolved. Until then, no snapolas! Guess I may well have to move to MacMail as you have always counseled! Cheers, A Very, Very Frustrated Patrizzio!

Hi Wonder Woman! Trust you are well. Great visit if too, too brief. Have been meaning to send along some snaps but other than seeming to have been in a social whirlwind ever since returning I have now encountered a crippling problem! I cannot add files, specifically photos, to my messages! Just happened this morning when I went to add some of the shots I'd taken at UBC. Similar to a problem I encountered some time ago when trying to access my contacts list. I cannot click on the To or Cc or Bcc buttons without some sort of boxlike image appearing and obscuring the top left-hand corner of the message box. Further tasks are impossible to initiate.
 

I am hoping that unless you can provide me with a silver bullet I would like, obviously, to try asking someone in Library Systems to see if it can be resolved. This being the case, can you trouble-shoot and/or provide me with a phone number in Systems? (I'd like to talk to a real persona and cannot find any numbers as I guess such listings are for staff only.) Is Tracy still there? I had chatted with her many years ago when email system changed and she was very helpful. Anyway, any help you can provide/suggest will be much appreciated. Until then, no snapolas! Guess I may well have to move to MacMail as Ragin' Bull has always counseled! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Trafalgar Square
Magnificent Dunn. P, How gracious to read from you and no offense taken with lag of response, which in any case I'm seldom guilty of. Wonderful pictures and lovely events from the last we communicated. I know by now I'm thinking of self to be a world traveller but still more grounds to cover. The more you see on these trips create even more craving for much more. Where do I go next lol.
 
I'm getting serious with a good friend, Barakat, fiancee now as things stands. Hoping to have her here sometime soon. Sore on the bike now after eating all sorts of dishes on my vacation. Still not giving up anytime soon. I'm definitely looking forward to our ride in the future and best to all especially the one and only fabulous Lady Dar! Best wishes! Wole  Hello The Sisterhood! These are from Wole's recent trip to Nigeria and London. Cheers!

Hello Tracey, I wonder if you would be able to take a few minutes to help Pat Dunn with his UBC mail program? As detailed below, he lost access to some crucial buttons. Thanks so much. Pat, maybe send Tracey your phone number. Good luck !! I want to see more pictures of the wonderful kittens. Sara Hello The Sisterhood! Thanks Sara! Hi Tracey! Trust you are well. Thought you both were going to visit and taste wine!
 

Churchill statue at the House of Parliament or Big Ben
However, on to less important matters. I can be reached at home but I can certainly call you if you let me know what might be the best time to reach you. I have installed Microsoft Silverlight to enable me to attach multiple attachments and that has worked well until this latest round of difficulties surfaced. I tried to self-diagnose, reading Working with Attachments, but could not find anything to help rectify problem as it presented itself or as I understood it. Any advice/help much appreciated. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat, It might be a browser issue.  Are you using Chrome?  Do you  see that some content is missing or you get the install Microsoft Silverlight message.  You reinstall and the issue still exists? If so, you may need to use another browser.  IE,  Firefox and Safari all support Silverlight content.  There
was a work around for older versions of Chrome (ver 42-44) but in version 45 or later there is no workaround for the issue: <https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/3058254/microsoft-silverlight-may-not-work-in-recent-versions-of-google-chrome>


Olympic stadium Stratford city
I'm just guessing that this might be the issue that you are having.  I've been in meeting this morning and am heading out again this afternoon.  Won't be back until after 3:30. Let me know if this addresses your issue. Tracey Hi Tracey! I am currently using the latest version of Firefox, (and would prefer to continue to do so, if possible), but when I tried Safari I managed to get the dialogue box for attachments but could not invoke "Include Attachments" once files were selected, maximum of three. I tried to install or upgrade Silverlight and nothing changed. Might I be doing something wrong at this stage? System said latest version of Silverlight was installed so I'm at a loss.

Update! I maximized the Attachment dialogue box and realized that the "Attach" button was at the far right hand bottom corner, so not visible otherwise! However, while the process "works" it is very klunky, not to mention time consuming, so I'm wondering how I might get the advanced Silverlight program to work. Should I try to uninstall it and start all over again?

If I cannot reach you after 3:30 pm today, is there time tomorrow that I could call? Thanks for help so far. Much appreciated. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Pat, Here’s the link to download Firefox ESR 52: <https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Firefox/silverlight/td-p/1372680> Tracey Tracey, you are great, awesome actually, to help Pat. Thanks.
  

Commuting
Hello again, The Sisterhood! Great to chat, Tracey, and thanks for sending along the ESR download version. Once I had installed it the attachment problem disappeared, although I still cannot invoke the tabs for contact information. Not as much of a bother as I can cut and paste more easily than attaching photos. Also pleased to learn that problem wasn't necessarily something I was or wasn't doing, so thanks for that clarification!

Sara, Tracey and I chatted about a visit so you need to arrange to meet to plan the excursion, biking, wine-tasting and more! Yesterday, Lady Dar collected the most recent releases from two of our wine club memberships, Upper Bench and 8th Generation, and will hit Poplar Grove tomorrow. Black Widow, Terravista and Township 7 will be in a week or two. Hurry up and visit or we'll drink everything!

Thanks again, to both of you, for the quick assistance and extremely helpful help! Certainly much appreciated. Chat soon, I trust. Must away as we are off to a film at Oasis, (United Church Lady Dar has joined here.), part of their Lens on Lent series.


This evening's film is Mutluluk, "(English title: Bliss), a 2007 Turkish film directed by Abdullah Oğuz. Meryem (Özgü Namal), a young woman of about 17 years old, is believed to have been violated, and her village's customs call for her to be killed to restore honor and dignity to her family and village. A young, newly returned war veteran and son of the village leader, Cemal Murat Han, is ordered to take Meryem to Istanbul and kill her, but at the last minute he doesn't allow himself to complete the task and the two, now unable to ever return to their village, run away together. Eventually, they meet up with ex-Professor Irfan, a man who has decided to live on a boat away from his wife and constricted life. In the end the real truth comes out and there is a surprise ending."
 
This is one of the most lyrical films I have ever seen. It deals with horrific cultural, familial and community mores but the strength and intelligence of the protagonist and the simply incredible compassion of the skipper, Irfan, undo what otherwise would have been an even greater evil than that already set in motion. The sheer beauty of the Turkish landscape, whether of Cappadocia or the coast forms a stunning backdrop to the human play which unfolds in village, city and sailboat. A must see!
 
Etta and Duke are outside under the louvres, listening to all the "action" in the back lane! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Sink Boy! Duke has taken to clambering onto my shoulders when I brush my teeth, before bed, and then waits in the second sink until I floss. He thinks the floss is a poisonous snake and goes wild chasing it! Rug Girl! She cannot be bothered with all his frenetic activity! Front of our house with Toshi, a former boarder, who visited us in January. Okanagan Lake from the KVR with Swedish friend, Kjell, again in January. 
Lady Dar, this past Sunday, at an Irish Whiskey tasting put on by the South Okanagan Whisky Tasting Society, with Dame Judith, (Her husband, Kevin, is the President of SOWTS, she is the Treasurer), Paul and Amanda, who own a kilt-making shop here in Penticton! Jo-Anne came to collect Colin, her husband, after A Dram Come True, VWF fund-raiser, a week ago this past Friday, at Performance Works on GI! Ask her how he felt next day!!! Back patio, late this afternoon; They often snuggle up together in the so-called Rumpus Room! 
 

Hello, Patrick: I am marooned at home today with what feels like an epic cold bug. Too sick to work (honestly! -- I'm worried about what I'm NOT getting done) but can manage to sit up in bed with laptop.

Anyhow, I wanted to thank you for making the effort to meet at Dunbar the other day. It was good to see you and I wish we could have had a longer visit. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Lower Mainland, especially the Rugby 7s (but was it raining that day?)

I look forward to a longer visit next time, and would also like to make a summer visit to the Okanagan a regular thing, so may soon be looking at some prospective dates. I have lots of accumulated Aeroplan points so it's really easy to pop up there! (Even after reserving some for a prospective visit to Winnipeg to meet my pilot, who is about to leave for a flying job in Thompson. Thompson! 


Very remote, but he hopes for a transfer to Winnipeg relatively soon. Pay is good, he gets to fly a plane that he likes (Dash-8), and the evolving plan is that after a year or so at this gig, he'll be able to to close the chapter on his working life -- though there is the possibility of continuing in a training role, which appeals to him. Overall, I think it's pretty impressive that he scored at flying job at age 65 (which he turned on March 10th)).

I wanted to ask you about my Elite Fluid Alu Trainer, which I believe I mentioned before. As I recall, you indicated some interest (it was awhile ago). I acquired it about two years ago, while endeavouring to get in shape for our Camino walk (May 2015). It worked great as a piece of equipment, but it did not work well in my small apartment space. It was just too big and quite difficult to move out of the way (for example, when I had guests).


I am trying to "de-clutter" and would like to find a good home for it. So I am offering you right of first refusal. I don't think it's still being made by Elite, but it is on the Mountain Equipment Co-op website (though "no longer available") if you would like to take a look at the specs: Elite Fluid Alu trainer. As you'll see, it is Italian-made! Please let me know about that. Otherwise, I believe you mentioned another looming visit (May?) so hope to see you (and your better half :-)) perhaps then. All the best. Love, Janet

Hi, Marooned on a Desert Island with a Nasty Flu Bug Castaway!  Lovely to hear from you Janet, but sorry to learn that you have a "cod in dour dose!" Lovely visit but too, too brief, as you say. I have been meaning to send along some snaps but other than seeming to have been in a social whirlwind ever since returning I have now encountered a crippling problem! I cannot add files, specifically photos, to my messages! Just happened this morning when I went to add some of the shots I'd taken in Vancouver. Similar to a problem I encountered some time ago when trying to access my contacts list. I cannot click on the To or Cc or Bcc buttons without some sort of boxlike image appearing and obscuring the top left-hand corner of the message box. Further tasks are impossible to initiate.

Good news about your bush pilot! My Dad worked at the mine in Thompson, for a year or so, when we returned to Winnipeg, from Elliott Lake. You should take advantage of that posting to visit Churchill to see the polar bears. I'd love to do so, the more so since it is in our former home province and we'd not done so when there. I'm very, very interested in the Elite Fluid Alu Trainer! Thanks for offering me  right of first refusal. We'll next be in town in May, probably from 10th to 15th, for Lady Dar's Library School graduating class reunion. I'm sure we could arrange a visit and a "transfer" at that time. Great that you plan on visiting again. You are always welcome. Just let us know a few possible dates so that we can make sure our schedules mesh.
 

Had a blast in Vancouver even though it was raining as you mentioned. Rugby was held at BC Place so not an issue as far as weather was concerned although a tad dampish, on Sunday, when we walked over Cambie Bridge, from Stadium, to where Sarge had parked car, just up from Seawall on Spyglass Place. Light rain here, as I scribe so I'm planning to go to pool this afternoon, to resume my deep-water walking. Have been for some fabulous rides over last few days so really enjoying being back in the saddle again.


Well, Kerrisdale Patient, trust you recover quickly. Take care of yourself and I hope I can send along a few snaps when, (if?), I can sort out the attachment glitch. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, off to numerous meetings of one sort or another! Cheers, Patrizzio!


What a great party.....sounds as if it could be very interesting.....a whiskey tasting party.....great. You folks really know how to get into it.....fantastic...
We are finally getting some slightly warmer weather; but a couple of our friends that came here for the first time.....left early. He could not take the weather....ha. There are so many of these seniors that are sick this year....there has hardly been any happy hours; only a few, that our condo has provided for. You go anywhere; and all you hear is coughing; sneezing, etc. But, we have survived so far....guess it has been a rough day all around; and here, the doctors are having a time getting people in without a long waiting time....guess eveywhere. We have not needed their care yet....lucky I guess......


Anyway; there are a few things left to do here; we do hope to get out golfing; maybe once; and with the weather; even a hike anywhere is a problem. Loved your pictures; and just keep it up.....so good to hear your back on the bike again......must be super.....we bike sometimes at home; but with the traffic; and folks who do not bike.......seem to not watch out for you.....so; we have cut back on that outing. Keep well, Love, Arv & Sandee 

Hi Slightly Warmer Weather Folk! Grand that you avoided the wide-spread flu bug! As you mention it does seem like it is taking a long time to warm up but, that being said, Lady Dar reported, just the other day, that the garlic we planted last November, [Bulbs from good friend in Naramata that grows wonderful wonderful garlic!], has some tiny green shoots poking through. As well, the rhubarb root, [From a  friend in hiking group.], is showing signs of new growth so we are absolutely delighted, as new "green-thumbers"! Cheers, Patrizzio!

On Otto’s behalf (Jim is still away): Greetings to all, I was asked to send out this notice pertaining to the next SS hike. Here it is: · Thursday, March 23 · Meet at the usual places at 9:00, or 8:00 respectively · Drive up to the Apex area and park at the power line, at the E end of the Nordic centre ski runs · Hike S on Southward Ho trail and head for the W side of Apex Mt. · Return by one of the usual loops · Refreshment at a place of our choosing No need to reply, just show up. Al


Patrick, I can not open it!!!! hope you are doing well nd enjoying the spring!!😬 Thank you!!!! Vicky Hi Vittoria! Sorry you were not able to open the card. However, I gather that congratulations are in order regarding your citizenship! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Please let Jake know that Wild Bill Fleet is back. As well, remind him to let me know about whether he is planning to join Book Club! I ask this as he is a terrible correspondent! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Thanks for the chuckles, St Patrizio. Hope you had a lovely day ... with all good green things. Life proceeds apace (albeit a slow one) in The Naramata. Cheers!
Lynnie
Hello Slow-Paced Naramatians! We missed you at the SOWTS tasting, my Darling, but enjoyed seeing Jugos Dom Garlic! Take care of each other, even if slowly! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi St. Pat, Currently we (I) have been obsessed with repairs involving a certain chef who left beans cooking on the stove unattended for a few hours. Smoke smoke smoke! So you know who is in the dog house here in Berkeley! Cheers! May the stove never rise to bite you! Your 33 per cent Irish friend, Nancy


Hello Vicente Half-Baked Beanery! Glad to hear that Villa Vicente didn't go up in smoke even if place incurred some of that aweful damage! Too, too close for comfort, I goes without saying. Does Spot sing the Dog-House Blues, howling all night long? Throw him an empty wine bottle rather than a bone! Please ensure that repairs are complete before the end of June when The Canadian Freelaoder will be in town to inspect work. No beans, on menu, please! Take care of each other. Cheers, Patrizzio! 



No comments:

Post a Comment