Monday 27 March 2017

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head Blues: Monday, March 27th!

 History is a novel whose author is the people. -Alfred de Vigny, poet, playwright, and novelist (27 Mar 1797-1863)


Hi Patrick Got back yesterday unfortunately with a tummy bug. Mike fine and we have visitors from Spain so a bit embarrassing! Yes terrible events in London- cars mowing down people seems to be their latest m o the bastards. Will reply in more detail when I feel better Love to all Penny and mike xx

Hello Duhlink! Sorry to hear that you've come down with bug. Trust you'll be up and about quickly. Always a drag, never-mind when you have visitors! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Madcap, dearest Penelope! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics:Spring is coming!

Photo: Cho-A
[Gadfly: One who persistently annoys.]

I was probably biking with Margaret tomorrow so you could join us. I'm probably the slower biker and as you know will stop. bye Gill Hope we can bike tomorrow. We had good hike today with OF's and weather turned out good. It looks okay for tomorrow. How about East side and McClean? Patrick may join us and will probably go further and you may want to also. Not me as knee not been good recently. We could meet at Skaha lake, turnoff to marina as last time or do Naramata road again? Say at noon? You let me know what best for you, location and time. Bye Gill  Sounds good, Gill - to meet at Skaha marina like last time? Noon works for me. I didn't join you hiking today because I took David to Fire Mtn , then we went to our building project...a good day.

Confirmed noon at Skaha marina. Are you coming Patrick? Hi Jack Rabbit and Margareta! Yes, I'll be there, at Skaha Lake Park, at the marina. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Scottish Cop! It's a beauty Patrick. Bring on devolution 🕰🔥��😁 Matt Hi Glasgow! Must have been a Scottish traffic cop I passed today, early in my ride. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Catherine! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Patrick. Judi and I are off to Victoria in the morning and plan on visiting Caledonia Distillery while we're there. What did you want me to order for you from their legacy line. e.g. one bottle each of the Speyside, Highland or islay blends or some thing less. I can pay for it and it will be delivered to Penticton during the Fest of Ale. please email me. Kevin 

Hi Kevin! Thanks so much for remembering. I'd like a bottle each of the Speyside, Highland and Islay. Please send me a message when you are back and I'll pop by to pay you. Thanks again. Have a grand time in Victoria. Please say hello to Andrew if you happen to see him. Fondestos to Dame Judith. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pics: Evening of Dram Come True; Andrew; my friend Sarge at Scotch Malt Whisky Society's table. Hi Andrew! Trust you are well. Thanks again for the great tasting at Dram! Kevin Ritcey will be in Victoria this week and he has very kindly offered to collect a bottle each of the Speyside, Highland and Islay.  Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: You yourself! Kevin and Dame Judith at the SOWTS Irish Whiskey tasting two Sundays ago.

By the time I left for my ride it was around 1:30 pm. Sun was shining although there were some large, darkish clouds to the west. Soon became apparent that the wind, fairly strong at 18kph out of the south, was going to be a factor if I had to buck it for any length of time. This being the case I decided I simply do The Gerbil Wheel withing the Hamster Cage for the duration of the ride. This involves the PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside/Power/Westminster Loop, (Hamster Cage), with the mini-loop off Power, along Dynes back to Riverside/Lakeshore, etc., (Gerbil Wheel). Three circuits of the latter then one of the larger, then three more of the smaller. With this number of loops with loops, I had logged 17 km +/-, a third of the minimum distance, (51 km), I wanted for outing.  

Once I'd bitten this off I decided it was a pretty good template so I took a couple of Gravol with my next swig from my water bottle and continued to gerbalize, ad nauseum, Dear Reader! Couple of police incidents kept me from succumbing to motion sickness as on one of my early loops I heard sirens and then a firetruck came towards me on Lakeshore. A few moments before this, I had noticed an ambulance in the driveway of the Golden Sands Motel, a fairly large complex just up from the SS Sicamous. On subsequent circuits I observed a couple of RCMP officers interviewing/talking to people outside the motel office. One of the men looked like a biker and I wondered if something had happened in one of the rooms. The police were there for about an hour and on one of my passes I noted that a younger man had embraced the individual I believed to be a biker, given his dress and ponytail. All of the people I observed seemed quite sombre so probably not just a dust-up, given presence of ambulance.
 
Anyway, the other incident involved a ghost car, (a pick-up!), which had pulled over a car on the corner of Westminster and Power. Few loops later I noticed the car being put on a flat-bed tow-truck so violation had obviously been a serious one. Both incidents made me glad I was riding a pedal bike as opposed to driving or on a chopper, Dear Reader! Anyway, I continued to chip away at my goal and once I'd reached 46 km I decided I'd push for 61 km as my distance for the day, wanting to incrementally push my daily rides towards my first 100 km outing. A few more loop de loops later and I back at the roundabout leading to the PTC. Circled there as I didn't need to go all the way to the courts. Instead I made the first, short climb up Vancouver to turn right on Van Horne to wend my way back home, on sidestreets, as opposed to Ellis where I would have had to face the full force of the head wind. Aside from a few light drops of rain, from time to time, it was a marvellous, dizzying, so to speak, outing! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1643950767#.WNmnRDI885M.email
 
Hi all, Spring is approaching, but let’s try to get in at least one more snowshoe. We plan to conquer Dividend Mountain. If we get some nice weather, the views will be beautiful! We will: -meet at 0900 at Home hardware parking lot in P’ton (0849 at IGA in S’land) -carpool and drive to Apex village -snowshoe from the village down Keremeos Creek and then up to the dividend Mountain summit. -return via Dividend lakes and the base of the ski hill -debrief over coffee. Are you interested? If so, give me a quick note or let me know at breakfast on Wednesday, so we know how many to expect. Cheers, Jim
 

No comments:

Post a Comment