Wednesday 1 March 2017

Red Carpet Two Table Welcome Home Blues: Wednesday, March 1st!

 The vast majority of human beings dislike and even dread all notions with which they are not familiar. Hence it comes about that at their first appearance innovators have always been derided as fools and madmen. -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963)


 Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -Dr. Seuss, author and illustrator (2 Mar 1904-1991)

Hello Duhlink! I'm a tad concerned about Coquihalla! Dress warmly and take food! I trust all goes well BUT I suspect that, at the very least, your bus will be delayed, due to road conditions. Anyway, let me know what you think, as well as sending updates en route. Donna Maria and Heraldo are in town now so I asked Dawn to give you a call this morning. Must away as I've scads to do to get ready for this evening. Hello to Flamin' and Sarge. Travel safely. Fondestos and Love, Patrizzio! Pics: Vicar!

Dear Pat and Corinne Could you send me your actual mail-adress? * Fiona Hi Fiona! I know that Lady Dar sent you our address as I just hung up the phone, chatting with her in Vancouver. Fondestos and Cheers to you, Darling Fiona, and to the rest of The Very Cruel Swiss, Patrizzio!

Hello Bridge Magicians! Please have the answer this evening! Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Card Trick Magician! I forwarded the puzzle to my bridge gang. Asked them to have the answer this evening when we are hosting two tables. Fondestos and Cheers to you both, Patrizzio! See you two tonight!! Hugs

You know Pat, I will be back on Monday night as mom did not want a funeral and so we are only going up for 4 days to do a few things that need to be done and then we will go back later in the spring or summer for a graveside service and to do what we need to do with her townhouse. Soooo, I could still host bridge! Really! Not sure if I'm too late, but if not...let me know. Hugs Janet

Hi Janet! So very pleased to hear that you seem to be managing well. With respect to hosting bridge, I was just going to send out a message to others involved to ask where we might play. If, as you say, you are still willing and able to host, that would be much appreciated. I'm also very glad that we'll have a chance to see you in person.

This being the case, shall I still put you down for the lasagna? I'm going to request that others choose one of either an appetizer, salad, vegetable dish or dessert. Does that sound fine? Everyone will bring hootch, it almost goes without saying!

We hosted two tables, ourselves, this evening. Lady Dar was just back from Vancouver, via bus, [She flew to Winnipeg on Valentine's Day to spend two weeks with Rosita and Dusty. Both of them, along with Corinne, have asked me to pass along their deepest sympathy. Clara and Dusty remembered your Mom from playing bridge with O Susannah and Champagne Charlie.], and I was worried she might not arrive at all or be quite late, as snow warning was out on the Coquihalla. Fortunately, for all concerned, bus was only about 20 minutes behind schedule so pretty good considering driving conditions.

At any rate, let me know what you think about menu and timing, 6:00 pm +/-?
Again, I trust things go as well as can be expected. Fondestos, Il Conduttore!

Pics: Olga Polga came for dinner before bridge. She is holding the Whitewater cookbook I gave Lady Dar for Valentine's Day; Phillipo, et al, at Table One. Josinta is taking snaps; Table Two, clockwise, Lady Dar, Naramata Goil, Judy Blue, [She brought card table as we gave away our two when we moved!], Jack Rabbit Slims, Fillipo's wife; Concentration! Farewell as Lady Dar was falling asleep and Josinta had already left! A few weeks ago she and her husband, Aarturo, came for dinner while Lady Dar was in Manitoba; About two weeks ago Duke started perching on my shoulders while I brush my teeth! With Lady Dar back, last night was the first time I was able to capture this "parrot" behaviour! He really is quite a character. 

No I can host. Please remember I have one table but 8 chairs. Yes I'll still do the lasagne. Turkey it beef? J Hi again, Janet! Fabulous! Sounds scrumptious indeed! I know I can scrounge up another table. Might even be one of our old ones as we gave them to Flamin' and Sarge, neighbours, as I think you might know, at The Island Inn, where I'll be staying. He will probably pop around to your place, later, after he finishes curling. I'll be in touch as soon as I have heard back from everyone else. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hello, yet again, Janet! I just re-read your last message and didn't realize that you were probably asking "turkey" or "beef" lasagna. I read it as Turkey it bee! For my part, I suggest turkey as I think many people are eating much less beef these days. I had my annual physical this morning and my GP counseled just that. I remarked that we tend to eat chicken and fish and Lady Dar uses ground turkey for her delicious meatloaf/meatballs, stuffed sqaush/zucchini, etc. Cheers, Mouth-Watering Patrizzio! My preference as well.

Patrick and Corinne, Thank you for the fun tonight. Thank you also for dinner. Very tasty. Olly and I would like to partner up and play in the Grandma's Bridge fundraiser. Please let me know where I register. Many thanks. Pam

Hi Patrick, Back in Calgary from Cuba, brrrr.... So cold here. :-( We will be back to Summerland on Monday, so maybe next week I will have the opportunity to see you guys. And tell Oscar to use the same set of cards - than we will see how smart he is :-) All the best, Cheers Mike


Hi Two Tablers! Thanks to one and all, [especially Judy Blue for bringing her folding table!], for the grand evening. Thanks as well, Olga Polga, (Your water bottle is here!), and Naramata Goil, for the lovely bottles of wine, yet unopened, so please, don't bring any next time we host.

Pinchgut Island (former name of Fort Denison, on Sydney Harbor), named so because a man was sentenced here for a week on a ration of bread and water
Photo: Howard Mitchell
With respect to the game, next week, I will be far, far, away, playing bridge, among other things, in Vancouver. However Madcop Michaelo will be back from Cuba/Calgary and will probably be available. I'm happy to coordinate if folk will let me know who is interested in hosting and who will play. Next Wednesday is International Women's Day and there is an event on at Gyro Park, from 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm, which Lady Dar plans to attend. She could/would come afterwards. Not sure if any others of The Sisterhood wish to do so as well. Anyway, let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly, on your behalf.

On the matter of the GFA Bridge fund-raiser, Friday, March 17th, [St Patrick's Day so I am guaranteed to win!], I will be partnering with Josinta while Naramata Goil will team with Olga Polga. If anyone else in the group is interested, please let me know, in the next week, or so, and I will submit the names to the co-ordinator. You don't necessarily need to have a partner as GFA will assign you one if needs be.

Josinta and I played in last year's event and had loads of fun. $20 gives you a delicious lunch, [10:00 am- 2:30 pm, at the Blue Church in Penticton, corner of Eckhardt and Main], and an opportunity to support a worthy cause. Level of play varies but nobody is critical. Everyone wants to enjoy playing with and meeting new people. At any rate, let me know what you think about next week's game and the following week's GFA event. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Olga Polga came for dinner before bridge. She is holding the Whitewater cookbook I gave Lady Dar for Valentine's Day; Phillipo, et al, at Table One. Josinta is taking snaps; Table Two, clockwise, Lady Dar, Naramata Goil, [Last week she and Duke had top score. His prize was a tin of sardines although he wanted Sashimi!] Judy Blue, [She, as mentioned above, very kindly brought her card table as we gave away our two when we moved!], Jack Rabbit Slims; Concentration! Farewell as Lady Dar was falling asleep and Josinta had already left!


Hello Bridge Folk! Not sure if any of you knew, but Janet's wonderful Mother, Gladys, (aka Gladys Knight and the Pips), died a number of days ago. Janet was planning to host the bridge night next week, but when she contacted me she didn't think she would be back from Cranbrook in time to do so. This has turned out not to be the case and she will be back and wishes to host!

I was just about to send out a different message when I learned that she was still able to do so. Very pleased, of course, to hear that she seems to be managing well, under the circumstances. I'm also very glad that we'll have a chance to see her in person.


Originally, she was planning to prepare the main course, turkey lasagna, and will still do this.  I'm going to request that others choose one of either an appetizer, salad, vegetable dish or dessert. Does that sound fine? Everyone will bring hootch, it almost goes without saying!

So far O Susannah, Champagne Charlie, Ragin' Bull and I are confirmed. Legs, are you alive and well and living in Vancouver? If so, are you interested and available? Same goes for you, Mick, or are you at Whistler, along with Renege Woman? Polly offered to host, initially, until she realized, months later, that she was off on a bridge junket with The Sisterhood!

Since we are hoping to have two tables we require at least three more players so if anyone knows of other possible candidates, (Champagne, your neighbours with whom we've played. Mick, your Winnipeg friends? Legs, Rosebud and Masher? Ragin', Sondra and Mama-San? Elaine, I know you and Theodorakis will be in New York, power grandparenting, but what about any of your friends? Marian? Liz? ), please let me know as soon as you can, along with choice of menu items. I will opt for an appetizer as I'm on the hoof and it will be easiest for a non-localoid. Celery sticks and CheezWhizzzzzzzz okay? Sarge, [Can we borrow one of your card tables?], is curling earlier in the evening but he will drop by, once his match is finished, to have more than a drop!


At any rate, let me know what you think about menu and timing, 6:00 pm +/-?
Fondestos and Cheers, to one and all, Il Conduttore/Patrizzio! Pic: Gladys and Janet, taken on June 29th, 2014, on or near Gladys' birthday, late '80's, I think, at the Pitchfords. Still the best player there!







No comments:

Post a Comment