Thursday 5 October 2017

City Workers Flush Fire Hydrants & Terry Wails the No Water Blues: Thursday, October 5th!

Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. -Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist and author (b. 5 Oct 1958)



I wasn't up until 8:00 am, Chloë now charged with releasing the Galloping Hordes into the wild as she is one up earliest, readying herself for work. Lady Dar was off to yoga, shortly before 9:00 am and she remarked that the water flow in the kitchen sink was very slow. Not something one wishes to hear as all sorts of thoughts about leaking pipes, etc., immediately shoot through one's mind! Anyway, nothing to do, at the very moment, but cross one's fingers and hope for the best. Chloë left the house a few minutes after her Mother and a few minutes after that phone rang and it was her informing me that city workers were on the corner by the fire hydrant. Thanking her for the alert I went outside and chaps assured me water flow would be back to normal shortly. Apparently, normal flushing procedure and one of them suggested running the cold tap, once water flow was back to normal, in order to flush out any sediment from our pipes. Poor Terry, neighbour across the street, didn't have any water at all! Both relieved, we went back inside. Whew! Another house maintenance bullet dodged!

Good morning Corinne and Patrick, It was good to catch up with you both yesterday- not sure why Andre was so cross with me and apologies for his yelling at me. He simply does not like the idea of me trying to plan ahead whilst he likes to leave everything to the last minute. Thinking about our conversation overnight I just wanted to say please do not worry if it is not convenient for us to stay with Chloe living with you at the moment. We can always stay with other friends in the area and still meet up. In February the Hardmans (owners of Deep Roots winery) came here for four nights so I know we could ask them. Just let me know what works best for you. I am really looking forward to seeing you both again and catching up with all your news. Take care my friends and much love, Rosemary XXX

Hi Rosemary, good to talk to you. You are welcome any time during your trip. We have 2 additional guests areas so don’t worry that Chloe is here. It would be good to see you and spend some time visiting. Let us know what works for you and Andre or just you if he is busy elsewhere. Hugs Corinne  Dearest Rosemary!
Trust you are well. Lovely to chat with you. Once we are back from VWF/VI, we will be home until Christmas to spend it with Chloë, and then drive to LA for New Year's. Alejandro is to graduate from LAFD training course so we'd like to attend that, as you can well imagine. Then on to who know where!!! All this being said, we'd love a visit with you so let us know which dates might work and we'll plan accordingly. Until then, take care of yourselves. Fondestos from Lady Dar, working on her Grandmothers For Africa Caroling for a Cause fundraiser. Cheers, Patrizzio!    The Radical Reference Librarians Who Use Info to Challenge Authority - Atlas Obscura Viva la Revolution!! http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/radical-reference-collective?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_todayworld -Ross Viva la Revolucion! Viva l'Informacion! But "progressive" would probably be a better word than "radical". 🤔 Kjell

Thanksgiving Pie Tomorrow Hi Chloe, Just a reminder your Thanksgiving pie will be in the office tomorrow.  You can pick it up between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.  Looking forward to seeing you. Have a great Thursday! Gil Would one of you be able to go get the pie? Thanks Duke wants one to! Cheers, Dad!

Hello Cruel Swiss! Trust you are both well. [You too, Nadienka!!!] Thank you for the lovely, lovely stay! We really enjoyed catching up, not to mention the wine-tasting, delicious lunch at Liquidity! [Thank you, Rudi Rudenheimer!], Toblerone, Swiss cheese and grater!!! Over the next little while we hope to have a moment or two to think about plans for both our winter and spring holidays. For latter, I hope to do a cycle trip in Slovakia and/or Poland so will certainly be in touch once we've a rough idea of where and when we hope to visit. Until next our paths cross, take care of each other and travel safely, wherever you are off to next, dear friends and Host Daughter! Fondestos from Lady Dar, and Chloë, telling us how to organize our home! Simply amazing that we seemed to have managed to bumble through life this far! Kids today!! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Upper Bench; Wild Goose; Noble Ridge; Liquidity; Painted Rock; Arrivederci! Etta wants to go to Berne!


Left the house just after 1:00 pm and decided I'd scope out Green Mountain Road in preparation for Saturday's ride, with Wild Bill, to Cawston, for the pizza-pick-up party at Orofino. Instead of connecting with the road to Apex off Fairview, I knew I could catch it off Lakeshore. Furthermore, I thought I'd see how my road bike tires did on the bike path which starts just opposite the SS Sicamous where one crosses the flood-gates at the top of the channel. I knew from riding this route with Ragin', last Saturday, that there was a bit of loose gravel on both sides of the bridge, so realized, well in advance, that I'd need to be careful. Managed everything without any problem although, in future, I'll stick to the gravel road which runs alongside the dirt track closer to the channel's edge. Quite a few spots with large patches of loose sand so not a terribly good surface to ride over on such thin tires.

At any rate, once under the bridge, carrying 97, the trail is tarmac, in exceedingly good repair, except for the "speed bumps" created by tree roots! Level of water in channel is quite low now, compared to flood conditions of earlier this spring/summer. Soon found myself on GMR and began the steady climb towards turnoff to Apex, roughly 25 km ahead. Hadn't ridden this route this year so was happy to finally do so. However, my hopes were dashed as I soon encountered a road sign indicating that road work was underway about 10 km ahead. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the relative quiet of the afternoon with little traffic and the burble of the stream music in my ears. While the climb is a steady one it is not exhausting so I felt pretty good when I rounded a corner and spied a flag person. Looked like bridge work and some paving about a km or so from Shingle Creek Road. As I really didn't want to get tangled in any construction activity I turned around to begin the descent.

I was pleasantly warm, from the moderate exertion of the climb, but soon became somewhat chilled from the bracing wind I was now riding into. Most of the descent was shaded so I was more than happy to burst into the warm sunshine once I passed Westhill Road where GMR becomes more exposed. Did a couple of loops, up from the gas station, just before the bridge, back to Westhill, to have about 35 km on the clock before taking Penticton I.R. Road south to 97. No trouble crossing the highway to make for Skaha Lake Park. Only needed a few km worth of dipsy-doodling there before I headed for South Main. Climb up Dawson seemed like nothing after GMR grade so I was soon whistling along Government, managing to maintain my 19 kph AVG. Pretty dismal but I wasn't able to generate any real speed on descent of GMR due to head wind. Nevertheless, a pleasing ride and I was able to add another approach route, to Apex, to my basic repertoire. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2049814395#.Wda-NH0be-8.email

Hello Bridge Folk! Just a quick note to thank Judy Blue for hosting this evening. Fabulous time and Olga Polga and I were introduced to Barbarossa, highly aggressive, brash bombshell of a friend of JB's, and a tough-as-nails player, it goes without saying! She would like to play with our group so please welcome her into the fold but Kevlar body armour is advised.

I know it will be a busy time for everyone this weekend but I'd like to try and organize next week's gathering. Lady Dar and I can play any night but Thursday as that is our book club meeting evening. Both Olga Polga and Jos offered to host so I guess venue will depend on which night/nights work for them. At any rate, please let me know your preferences and we'll plan accordingly. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: We would have played until midnight but Judy Blue was falling asleep, (see last snap), by 8:30 pm! Quite amazing, really, that she bid so well. Three snores translated into Three-No-Trump, etc., so everyone soon caught on to her narcoleptic, audio bidding! Rolly Polly even said it was the best she'd ever seen her play!


Hi Barbarella! Simply wonderful that you are available. Thanks for the speedy reply. You will make a terrific addition to the fledgling bridge group. As the critical mass consolidates, it should ensure at least one table per week throughout the year. I'll be sending out a message as soon as I've heard from the rest of the Procrastinator Gang! Enjoy the Thanksgiving Weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: El Diablo, aka Parrot Boy, likes to sit on my shoulders while I brush my teeth! Etta, on the other hand, is far more well-behaved!

Hi St Kilian and Jake! Trust you are both well! Did I see you today, St K, first, on the Channel bike path, and then on the bridge, on 97, overlooking Skaha? At any rate, I took a quick run up Green Mountain Road to just before Shingle Creek Road where there was some construction. Weather permitting, I'm riding to Cawston tomorrow, with Bill Webster, Pamela's husband. She is in hiking group but hasn't done any outings this year, as far as I know. Anyway, there is a pizza-pick-up party at Orofino and The Sisterhood will drive so that we can put our bikes on car rack after tasting wine!

Sorry it has taken me so long to send along these snaps but life has been extremely busy, ever since I saw you folk at the FM. Anyway, take care of yourselfves and hope to see you both on a hike in the not too, too distant future. Until then, all the best. Happy Thanksgiving to you and family. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Jacob-Two-Two and former student; St Kilian on patrol!


Dear Patrick, The Festival is nearly here! This year, all the job descriptions and information about volunteer benefits and health & safety have been uploaded onto My Volunteer Page. Attached to this email are instructions on how to find and access the job descriptions and other important documents. Please note: Job descriptions will not be in the volunteer packages. Please review before orientation as there have been some changes from previous years. It will help you know what questions to ask. Thanks and hope to see you at orientation! Michelle Hi Michelle Trust you are well. I gather Corinne has already replied informing you that we won't be at the Orientation. Other than that, I have reviewed all the documentation you sent along. We will probably pop by the Festival Office on Monday, October 16th, to pick up our volunteer packages. Until then, all the best. Happy Thanksgiving. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment