Tuesday 24 October 2017

Sunshine Valley Folk Sing The Imperial Blues: Tuesday, October 24th!

Inspiration does not come like a bolt, nor is it kinetic, energetic striving, but it comes into us slowly and quietly and all the time, though we must regularly and every day give it a little chance to start flowing, prime it with a little solitude and idleness. -Brenda Ueland, journalist, editor, and writer (24 Oct 1891-1985) 


Hello Long Abandoned Bridge Orphans! Trust everyone is well, wherever and whatever you are doing/have been doing. Lady Dar and I will be back in Penticton later today, after a wonderful week at the VWF, listening to an incredible array of authors read and discuss their work. Had a great deal of fun seeing many friends and even managed to play bridge last night while Lady Dar attended her book club, here in town. Unfortunately, for me, the Bridge Gods didn't smile on my hands so I had to drown my sorrows in some of the wine we muled from the Okanagan!

At any rate, we are interested in playing this week and Wednesday and Thursday are the nights we have free. We are happy to host if there is interest enough. So let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar, lolling on the living room couch, reading one of the books we acquired this past week, while I am charged with loading the car! Cheers, Baggage Handler Patrizzio!

Pics: Sunday afternoon, with Bill Richardson, [He is also from Winnipeg and Lady Dar was somewhat responsible for him going to Library School when she told him she was off to Vancouver to attend Library School. This planted the seed which then started him, after going to LS himself, on the trajectory which lead him to CBC and becoming an author in his own right.], as riotous host of session. Hal Wake, Artistic Director, now retiring after 12 years. John Boyne, a marvellous, marvellous author and scintillating reader, from Ireland. His latest novel is The Heart's Invisible Furies but you might know him as the author of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Last night, with Victor, friend who popped by before dinner and bridge, then with card sharks, Ragin' Bull, The Penguin and Fast Eddy! 


On our way back home Big Al and Marilyn invited us for brunch, [They are both well and busy, busy, busy!], and they wondered if Ted had been tested for mercury and/or lead poisoning as many of the symptoms point in that direction. Once back home I left a message with Elaine but have not heard back yet. 


Hi Patrick Sounds like you had a busy but interesting week. If you need a player for Wednesday or Thursday evening, I would be available. Thanks Barbie
Hi Patrick, Good to hear from you! Glad that you both are enjoying yourself in Vancouver. I am not able to play either nite this week unfortunately but I will see you on Friday for the grandmothers dinner. Travel safe See you soon
Judy Ps it was great to see you In pictures for a change!! Welcome back to sunny Okanagan Patrick and Corinne. As you know we are off on Thursday for the land Down Under, and back on Dec. 4th, to catch up on my bridge skills and friendships. Happy Greetings, Jos and AartWelcome back Corrine and Patrizzio to our beautiful sunny Okanagan! Yes, let's play... I'm in for either Wednesday or Thursday..... whatever work for everyone. Hugs, Olly
Hello Patrick and Corinne, You missed a few crazy windy days, and a few nice sunny, as usual here, so welcome back. As far as a game goes, I am available only on Wednesday. Cheers to all. Mike
  

Awesome, sounds like we have the game. cheers Mike Hi Patrick, Book Festival sounds great. One of these years I want to attend. If I am feeling up to it Weds is the only night that I can play this week. I had surgery today to correct a deviated septum so I am not sure how I will feel tomorrow night. Currently, I am bleeding from my nose and feeling poopy from the anaesthetic. Safe travels to Penticton. Pamela I'll be there! Thank you Patrizzio for the invite to dinner
but I'll see you at 6:30 since I have a few errands to run after physiotherapy. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night. Hugs, Olly

Hello Bridge Enthusiasts! Thanks for the welcome back. Had a simply marvellous time but it certainly is more than a delight to be home. Great that all of you can play tomorrow so we'll see you here, at Burns Street, anytime after 6:30 pm. Olga Polga, if you are at an appointment, earlier, here in town, you are welcome to come for a bite to eat before bridge. Anyway, looking forward to seeing everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick My sincere apologies for pupping out on you on Sunday. I had worked all day in the garden and I really was aching and exhausted. I am so sorry that I did not push myself to go and visit with you especially when you sounded so positive and upbeat after your Writers Festival volunteering. I sincerely hope you will not be cross with me forever. I do feel badly about it. When I talked with you on Friday I had not expected to engage in such physical work on Sunday and it simply finished me off.

Anyways the old body is seizing up. Hope you are home safe and sound. Say hello to Corrine and thanks so much for having called us. Your aging friend and soon to be retired colleague, Jo-Anne
Hello Pumpkin People! What fabulous carvings, Colin! Lady Dar and Chloë thought they were terrific as well. While we were both sorry not to have a visit on Sunday evening, don't fret about it at all, Marps! I'm never cross with you. We were both tired, ourselves so we just had a bite to eat and opened a couple of bottles of wine and enjoyed watching an episode of The Durrells in Corfu. Enjoyed it immensely. Well, must away Fondestos from Lady Dar and Cheers to you, Jo-Anne, (and your aging frame!), and Colin, Patrizzio!

So great to see you yesterday Pat, thank you for calling me (I almost didn't pick up, thinking it was another lottery scam from a Nigerian prince). As you know, I am usually full of jokes and love to make you the butt of them, but for now I just want to say thank you for our talk yesterday, albeit brief, but I will always keep in mind that "nothing is guaranteed" (as you have always said) and be "overtly generous and perhaps that may tip the scale" (I will take that as a life-long open invitation to raid your malt cabinet whenever I please). And, I also took to heart what you had to say about the decisions we make and knowing the consequences that may stem from them, especially, when it comes to women for us men.

On a separate and more philosophical note, and just curious what your opinion is on this, if nothing is guaranteed in life, then why do we bother to be generous, pleasant and unselfish? We could easily just take and look out for ourselves, and, ultimately, end up with the same results in life as someone who is unselfish and kind. Of course, I believe we should be generous, kind and unselfish, but I went through a period in the past couple of years where I sort of struggled with this question and - not to sound too dramatic - almost went down a darker path as a human being, which I only recently have slowly diverted myself from.

As always, thank you for being you and for your honesty, candor and malt. I love you and please say hello to Corinne and tell her it's a real tragedy I did not get to see her this time around and only got your wet nose and malt-infused hot breath to entertain me. Have a good trip back home and next time I will make sure to bring even cheaper fruit wine to your table With love, VL


Hello Blues Brothers/Designer Shades/Fjord Man! What a delightful visit, albeit not long enough, of course, as you mention! With respect to your philosophical question I think you have misconstrued what I mean when oft I say, "Nothing is guaranteed", inasmuch as what I intend to convey is that simply because life is so precarious, so fragile, often so completely unpredictable that one should, in my opinion, live fully, enjoy, to the extent possible, its remarkable gift of time, the only inestimably precious, ever-diminishing resource we have as sentient beings, always keeping in mind the well-being of oneself, (for you cannot take care of others if you cannot take care of yourself), as well as those around you, in your orbit, whether family or friends, neighbours or newcomers, strangers or passing acquaintances. If one behaves selfishly towards others, I believe you will, in the final analysis, live an unhappy, unrewarding, empty unto hollow life for "happiness", if such a thing exists, is a function of relationship. Things, whether designer shades or single malt, essentially do not matter, only relationship. Sure, it's wonderful to have a carbon fibre bike but that does not define an individual, or should not, in my universe, nor the colour of one's skin or one's gender.

Of course it's wonderful to possess nice things, to travel and holiday, but not having "stuff" or such opportunities doesn't mean that one will be unfulfilled. Far too often, just the opposite occurs. Materialism is mistaken for success. Success, in my book should be measured according to the yardstick set out in this stunningly insightful song by Danny Michel, Who's Gonna Miss You?

 

You can climb a mountain, you can swim the sea.
Or find a cure to some disease.
Or break every record in the book ya see (yeah)
But who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?
Did ya live it right, did ya live it wrong?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

You can carve a statue, and stand it tall.
And hang your painting on a wall.
Press your hands in wet cement.
But who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

You can come in first, be the best!
Win the lotto, ace the test.
Ya can line all them awards all up in a row.
But who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

Did ya live it right, did ya live it wrong?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

Pop the question, cut the cake.
Pop the cork, and consummate.
Plant yourself a little family tree (yeah)
But who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

You can write a hit, and be a star.
Ride around in a big long car.
And everybody reaching to touch your hand.
But who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

Ah! Did ya live it right, did ya live it wrong?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

They took you home now.
Up to that Big House.
Because it's where you long to go.
Now I recall where, you 'was' a good friend.
The wind will always blow.
So I say, ooh ooh ooh ooh

The church bells ring, and the sky turns grey
And that big black hearse roooolls away
And everybody tries to walk away

I'm gonna miss ya when you're gone
I'm gonna miss ya when you're gone
Everyday, and all day looong
I'm gonna miss ya when you're gone

Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?
Who's gonna miss ya when you're gone?

Did ya live it right, did ya live it wrong?

I'm gonna miss ya when you're gone


Once again, Vittorino, I really don't have any answers. I just stumble along, laughing and crying at the wonder around me, hoping to be a better person in spite of my many faults and obstinacies, my all too often deafness and blindness to the pain and suffering which surrounds us, (And we live such privileged lives simply because we live where we do, have what we have, compared to so much of the rest of long-beleagured humanity!), trying, hoping to be grateful and ever attempting to show my gratitude
and genuine affection to others as we dance through this mystery we call life, together, whether we know it or not. Here endeth the lesson!!!
Cheers, dear friends, Vittorio/Patrizzio The Younger, Patrizzio! Pics: Clover and The Imperiales! [Marilyn and Big Al live on Imperial, in Burnaby.]

Chis Hedges: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycuw9Cvh6W4

Take the time to listen to this writer's ...journalist' "Chris Hedges"speech
He is the recipient of the Pulitzer award and really spells it out...There are many other speeches...as well to follow to help you unravel what's really happening to out democracies Finally someone who is not afraid of speaking out and explaining what is really taking place in this world and it is not about Conspiracy theories This man is brilliant!!...I look forward to listening to more of his lectures!!🙏😎 This is a forward from Frank a Summerlander retired school teacher and orchardist..dedicated to educate the average Joe😇 If you don't have time to listen to it now ,..like most of us file it and listen to it soon as in the near future🙏 Elle( Murielle)


Hi, I’m sending this email along with the above website in the hopes that you will take the time to view a talk given by Chris Hedges, a Journalist and a Pulitzer Prize winner. So, sit back with a glass of wine, a beer or even a soft drink. This is a very sober look at the world we live in today. A world, by all circumstances that is going to get much worse. Although it pertains mostly about the United States, think about how it may also apply to our federal and provincial governments and even our local municipalities. Thank you. Frank


Hello Kids: In case you have not seen this! Cheers, Patrizzio! Chis Hedges, journalist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycuw9Cvh6W4





 

No comments:

Post a Comment