Friday 27 October 2017

Grandmothers For Africa Traditional Dinner Extraordinaire Blues: Friday, October 27th!

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again. -Sylvia Plath, poet (27 Oct 1932-1963)



Hi Patrick, We have Robin scheduled in for this morning to take care of the few electrical issues that need addressed. Please let us know if this is ok. Robin will give you a call before heading over. We work really hard to provide the best experience for our customers and are always looking for ways to improve. If you have a minute to take our short two question survey below, we would appreciate your feedback. Thank you, The team at G. Little Electric Ltd. Hi G Little Electric: Fine for Robin to come over this morning. I will be out for a few minutes, before 8:00 am, and then back by 8:30 am. If he wants to come over by 7:45 am that is fine as well. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Into the general mix of life at Burns Street BYOB Bistro, we had an electrician here today moving the fan in the Rumpus Room and putting in an outlet in our bedroom so that Lady Dar can now operate, remotely, the electric fireplace, (once in the living room at The Heartbreak Hotel), newly painted to match wall decor, from the comfort of her bed! Chap will come back on Monday, [Hi Patrick, Robin can return to finish things up on Monday. please let us know if this is ok. Hi GLE! Monday is fine for Robin to complete work. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!] to put an outlet, from garage, to patio so that we can hang a million dollar lamp, (bought at a PAG fund-raiser), outside. Needed another outlet there anyway. 

This evening there was a fund-raising dinner for Grandmothers for Africa, at the Shatford, and it was loads of fun. Raised over $6,000. Pics: GFA dinner with Richard Cannings, our MP, and Chloë, on way in; the two Ethiopian grandmothers; Michelle Dunn, (no relation), with Lady Dar and Mary, owner of Theos, fab Greek restaurant around the corner from us, on Main and Eckhardt; Tummler with Jessica, (I think, but I was a bit wine-addled by then), wonderful woman who prepared wonderful, wonderful meal. Came away with a wonderful, large woven basket, Coyote Coffee beans and Garlic Scape Salt from Silent Auction.

Bon Voyage, Josinta and Aarturo! Sorry we were not able to chat before you zoomed off! Best wishes from Lady Dar, Chloë and I, for a wonderful time in Australia. Having been there five times, (first in '91 was Chloë's only visit), we obviously love the country, people and above all, the wine! After kissing a kangaroo you might not wish to eat some BUT it is a fabulous meat, especially paired with a Durif from Rutherglen! If in this wonderful wine region, make sure you visit Warrabilla Winery and you won't be disappointed. Let me know if you might wish additional tips on wine-tasting, or anything else that we might suggest, given where you happen to be and what you might wonder about. We have very close friends who live north of Melbourne, about 45 minutes south of Bendigo and we could hook you up if that might work. If they are around I'm sure they would enjoy a visit and the countryside is lovely. Gold country some fascinating history. Anyway, travel safely and take care of each other. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hi Kathryn and Michelle! Thank you both for all your hard work and dedication! I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to say goodbye, in person. I did pop by on Monday morning to return my badges but I gather you were not in until later. I'm sure a relief to sleep-in for the first time in light years!!!

You will probably be aware that both Lady Dar and I completed feedback survey. Interestingly enough, we both reached the same conclusions about the fare for Brunch and Tea. I did mention my concerns to Isabelle and Andrew, at the time, and understand that budget issues were a major concern for this Festival. Politics, politics, politics! While I won't repeat my argument, specifically, I did want to mention how strongly we both feel about this issue.

For this message, I do want to say a number of things, specifically about some of the volunteers I had the happy occasion to work with. I usually keep my printed list but it seems to have been lost in the shuffle of the final strike. No never mind, as I think I can name most of the people I was most impressed with. In any case, all of the volunteers I had occasion to work with did a simply wonderful job so I have nothing negative to say about any of them. They were all on time and eager to discharge any tasks asked of them, never hesitating to shoulder the next job once something was complete. Those "vets" of earlier fests made things go even more smoothly, knowing the ropes, so to speak. However, many of the volunteers, new to me at least, did more than yeoman's service so should be congratulated for doing such a fine job.

Whenever a given set-up/strike was, more or less, under control, I'd send those volunteers, not occupied, to wait in the Lounge and then would call for "volunteer" Volunteers, as and if needed. Without exception, people were always agreeable and did not hesitate to accept tasks, some even after their shift was technically over, usually if they were scheduled for later. This degree of flexibility really helped, as I'm sure you know. If nobody was needed, I'd release them into the wild!

With respect to the number of volunteers assigned to PW, from Tuesday to Saturday, I think that there was a bit too, too much "over-staffing". Without wishing to be too, too self-congratulatory, with Lady Dar and The Fayre Julia at one bar, and myself, Melanie, Natelle, Tara, Robyn, etc., at the other, there really was no need for more than one other volunteer, if that. I know you cannot always depend on "vets" returning, but if you know this to be the case, perhaps ask about staffing levels, especially if shifts need to be filled elsewhere. One other "runner/floater" should be more than enough, between both bars. One volunteer selling tickets should be enough. Two seems to be overkill. Zoe, as Crew Captain, was terrific and her personality is absolutely perfect for such a position. However, I think the CC could just as easily discharge the duties of above-mentioned "runner/floater", in the spirit of efficiency and not tripping over people. Lady Dar said she had two volunteers "milling" around, with little to do, for a goodly part of the shifts she was involved in.

If you have a chance, put the finger on Melanie, Zoe, Natelle, and Tara. They are more than top, top drawer and should be given medals and positions of authority, so capable are they and able to do almost anything. (It was a great relief to have Melanie as Crew Captain for Servers as that made everything go that much smoother for set-up/strike as well. Please tell her how much I enjoyed working with her as I didn't really have a chance to say goodbye!) Having just met Fred Hornby, (a friend and neighbour, I believe), Emma Coffin and Perrin, (Cannot remember his last name but he should obtain his Serving It Right and he will be even more valuable), I was most impressed with their attitude and work ethic so keep them in mind, if they are available/interested for next year. Craig was terrific on OJ detail and worked tirelessly when not needed at that station. Prat, (short for a name I had difficulty pronouncing!) was another hard, self-motivated worker, as was Kevin. (I think I had "two" on my shifts but both were terrific.) Another young woman, (Emily?), with a streak of blue in her hair, was a godsend. She worked right through the afternoon and even made herself available between shifts. Margaret, (my vintage), was another stalwart and certainly could be given a position of greater authority.

With respect to Isabel and Laura, I have nothing but the highest praise for both. They need to be thanked for all their tireless, exhausting hard work. From my point of view they managed exceeding, exceedingly well under such trying, at times difficult, situations. Laura and Isabel,[
Thank you so much Patrick! I am incredibly thankful for everything you did for us as well. You were an absolute gold mine, and just know that any crankiness from me came from total sleep deprivation. Working on getting back to normal levels there :) I hope you come back next year!!], were more than troopers in their similarly demanding roles. Both deserve the highest of praise for their considerable efforts, all conducted with courtesy and concern. Such was their workload that I suggest each be assigned a dedicated aide de camp, as opposed to assigned volunteers. So many questions from so many people, all at once, that in spite of best intentions, things get sidetracked, forgotten or not done. Isabel shouldn't have to worry about where there are more garbage bags or recycling bags or storage bins for linens, etc. It's simply too, too frazzling for Isabel to have to answer all of these "minor" questions when there are others of more import pending. An AC could facilitate this and also call for volunteers, as required. I haven't thought this completely through but I think it should be discussed as an option.

I know there will always be certain things that one cannot plan for but let's not re-invent the wheel at each Festival. More thought needs to be put into such seemingly small matters as to where to store empty cup trays/plate bins, per esempio, after set-up, so that when strike begins they are easily accessible, not packed behind other containers needed later in process. With respect to food preparation, no gloves were the order of the day, this year. I was surprised but I followed orders. Nevertheless, I think there should have been gloves, at the very least, during strike for those clearing food scraps.

To the extent possible, a story-board of each set-up/strike should be "mocked up" ahead of time. I know job descriptions have been compiled but I think an actual run-through, in the physical space, with Isabel, Laura, various Crew Captains and heads of Facility, (Elizabeth), and Production, (Katya), so that where things are to be found/placed, at various stages throughout the long day, is clear and can then be communicated, easily and precisely, to the volunteers actually doing much of the work.

I trust I'm not telling tales out of school but with respect to Elizabeth I like her and had fun working with her and do think she meant well but I know Lady Dar holds a much different opinion. She felt she was condescending much of the time and took particular umbrage when she and Julia, and others, were addressed as "Girls"! In my opinion Elizabeth also tended to micro-manage but think that is more her personalty type than anything else. I simply told her to "git" and was able to handle things this way. The relationship with The Sisterhood was far more prickly so things didn't go as smoothly as one would have liked. Things still worked but perhaps some adjustment is required. I know that things between her and Katya seemed "strained" at times. Only an observation and I'm not assigning blame to either. End of an extremely trying day for everyone so I'm sure tired nerves were frayed on both sides. Easy for Fred and I to roll our eyes as by then we were on the second of our purloined beers!

One last plug for increased funding for both Brunch and Tea, if it is decided both should continue. Not sure if it is possible but I think some thought needs to be given to way in which food is delivered and presented. I've never been a real fan of wooden trays as they make table awfully crowded/cramped. Add another tier? Or cafeteria style for some of the larger items as people arrive. For those with mobility issues, (canes, walkers, etc.], volunteers could certainly assist by bringing foodstuffs, etc., to the table. [With respect to trays storage boxes for most are not available. It makes it much simpler if containers are there during strike and then for storage, of course. We made do with garbage bags but handling is more difficult and time-consuming, it goes without saying.

On the matter of food/snacks at the bars: Chocolate was asked for, repeatedly. Who wants a trail-mix bar or a fig cookie? Is this the VWF or a hike? Chips were great. I should know as I ate a couple of packs! Why sell bottled water? Tap water or nothing! Save the planet from plastic. Another reason for real glasses. Get volunteers to wash used glasses, (More dish detergent and dish cloths/tea towels, as well as rags for inevitable spills, etc.), and/or encourage patrons to bring their own drinking vessels. [Wine and beer bottle empties were placed outside to help the homeless, I assume. Well and good BUT I am sure one could buy a case, or more, of cheap wine glasses for refund. In a couple of years the refund would repay the budget outlay and then deal with breakage.[Pre Fest advertising: "in the spirit of sustainability... Folk Fest does wonders in this regard. Ask them for suggestions.] Have a contest for best decorated, re-usable container, with a free ticket to an event for prize.

Far too much beer in stock, from what I saw. Okay, if all donated by GI. If not then why not order each morning for the evening. Volunteers spared from selling tickets could "run" beer where needed. Wine seemed about right. This way, space is saved and inventory far easier. I would nix fruit juice. San Pelegrino is just fine as a non-alcoholic option. This is not a martini bar! More small, attractive trays and containers would be helpful for display purposes and card-board holders for hot tea/coffee cups if disposable ones are to be used. Again, mugs should be available. Have a local potter produce an array as a fund-raiser. People could buy one at the door and take it home as a souvenir. If possible, have a local author/event moderator sign for a more expensive "collector' edition. As well, think it's time for a new, smaller selection of teas. Bring your own tea bag if fussed! What about gluten-free options. More and more people require this. Perhaps not for buns, [Even there, why not?], but at least start with GF crackers. Such information could be made available in event description.

One last comment. I know you and Michelle mean more than well BUT, I, for one, do not need to be reminded about complimentary tickets. I understand that the email is carpet bombing the volunteers but I suspect many feel the way I do. Believe much the same about Hot Sheets but I know you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm of the school that one needs to take a bit of responsibility for what one needs to know, unless there is simply no other way for obtaining such information. Well, I suppose you are tearing out your hair by now so I'll bring this rambling to an end. Sorry for being so disjointed but I'm simply trying to jot down things as I remember them popping up over the course of my shifts. Had a grand time at all the events I attended and met some gang-buster volunteer people, as well as reuniting with many from earlier Fests. Thank you and Muchelle, again, for your remarkable job of keeping the wheels running and the train on the tracks. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment