Sunday 29 October 2017

Poplar Grove Powered By Love Blues: Sunday, October 29th!

He who has provoked the lash of wit, cannot complain that he smarts from it. -James Boswell, biographer and lawyer (29 Oct 1740-1795)


Tummler, Pretty damn seldom where my malt go, she no fly...We heard tell through interpol contacts that you might be near the Republic. Let us know if you can get over to the north island. It has been way too long since we had a therapy ride or shared a drop of the beloved elixir. I am just back from a transcontinental drive from the eastern seaboard and I could use a good ride. And maybe a malt. Hope this finds you well. Fond regards to you and C,
G&J


Hi Whirlygig and Calamity! Pretty Damn Seldom message no fly from deep, dark woods! Wonderful that you finally broke radio silence! I assumed/hoped you were in deep, deep cover, carrying out a covert operation in The Land Trumpfoolery and Worse! At any rate, trust you are both well. We had a wonderful time at the VWF and it was great to visit with various friends although some very, very sad news about Champagne Charlie. I assume you didn't know but he is now in the hospice, off Wall, that Flamin' is responsible for. We first visited him there when we were in town to pack up Chloë at the end of September. Yes, the loft is sold and she has a new job, as a strata manager for Pacific Quorum, just around the corner from us. She will live with us until April/May when the condo she is buying, (with a hefty down-payment from us, as you might imagine!), will be finished. Great to have a built-in cat-sitter even if it means listening, non-stop, to how we are doing everything wrong! Kids today!!! 

Saw him again, a week ago this past Thursday and he is even frailer. We knew something was up about six months, or more, ago when he had to return from Thailand where he and O Susannah were leading a tour. I'm heading back into Vancouver, (for an annual appointment with my dermatologist on November 8th), so I'm wondering if he will still be alive. Michelle feels he doesn't have much time left as his cancer has spread extensively. Tough, tough hand to be dealt.

With respect to that visit I am wondering if you might be in town, either earlier or later in the week. My schedule is pretty flexible. Lady Dar won't be with me as she is preparing for a Grandmothers For Africa fund-raiser, Caroling for a Cause on November 23rd and has mountains of organizing to do. We had hoped to do an "Island Tour" after VWF but things simply worked out differently. Anyway, let me know what your schedule looks like and I'll plan accordingly.

For the past two weeks we have been the proud owners of hot-water-on-demand as we had Fortis bring gas to the house this summer. Have also plumbed line for a the bbq so may well try to pick up one which takes natural gas if there happens to be any end-of-season clearance sales. One we have is on its last legs and needs to be replaced anyway. Other Big News is that, as of a week or so ago, we are now the proud owners of a "fractional condo" at Spirit Ridge! Never thought I'd buy any recreational property. [Back-story for financing when we met in person. Hush! Hush! and all that!!!]

From my point of view at least, purchase is intended, mainly, as a small, very small, property investment. Lady Dar, of course, loves complex as we have stayed many times, most recently with Flamin' and Sarge, who own a similar unit. At this stage of my life I'm not interested, (More importantly, nor could I afford it, without taking on a mortgage!), in becoming a slum landlord but with this "recreational" property all the upkeep/maintenance, (one pays for it, of course, with strata fees, etc.), interior as well as exterior, is done by the resort. Quarter owners, (our case), have two weeks every eight weeks but can opt to leave unit in rental pool should you not wish to use it for those dates.

With recent sale of our loft in Vancouver I do not need a mortgage. Flamin' and Sarge covered all their expenses, (strata fees, insurance, etc.), and still made a bit of money even after staying for most of their allotted time. Anyway, we shall see what we shall see. Deal is to close by end of November so have a bit of time to arrange paper-work, etc. Of course Chloë has already planned weekends for her an her girlfriends while Ayn and Los Horridos may well visit this summer. Funny how Chloë didn't think my idea to purchase this was wrong!!!

For my part I'm in the midst of planning a bicycle trip to Poland at the end of May. Interested? I'm looking for another person to share double occupancy with as Lady Dar's Marriage Officiant scam seems to be taking off and she needs to be here at this time of the year. In that vein, I've been a bit like you in terms of needing more time in the saddle, of late.


This afternoon, there was book launch, Powered By Love A Grandmothers' Movement to End AIDS in Africa, done by the Stephen Lewis Foundation. Book contains interviews and photographs of the grandmothers involved and two of them, both from Ethiopia, were part of the tour. Again, both were also at the dinner. Remarkable, remarkable women, both in Africa but also in Canada, raising money for this critical cause.
 

Well, must away as it has been a long day and I've more firewood to mule from Spiller tomorrow. Let me know what you think about bike trip and closer, to home, about getting together around November 8th. Had a wonderful evening with Ragin' Bull, The Penguin and Fast Eddy last Monday while Lady Dar was at her book club. I'm trying to organize another game for this coming visit so it would be great if you could be one of players, if you still remember how to play. Even had Victor drop by for a brief visit, as he did at Calamity's place. Finally returned the dark glasses he left on that occasion. Chloë had them ever since but in spite of repeated calls, he never came by to collect them so she brought them to Penticton when she moved here! I told him that if he didn't ge tthem this time iwas going to keep them. I was a tad disappointed he popped by as they were designer shades and I looked even spiffier in them than normal, given my homeless biking gear look! Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë, both already abed. Cheers to you and Calamity, Tummler/Il Conduttore/Patrizzio/Landlord Extraordinaire!


PS: I called the Keatings,, late this afternoon, and chatted with Ted. I said he sounded fine and he replied that I couldn't see him walk so I gather that balance is still an issue. At any rate, he was pleased to hear about mercury and lead as these issues had not been raised, to date. So this is where matters stand as of this writing!
 
Pics: Had dinner with Catherine and Glasgow on Tuesday evening as our shift at VWF was over by 6:30 pm. They have a penthouse in a new high-rise on the corner of Keefer and Main. Had a lovely meal, across the street, at Bao Bei Chinese Brasserie, a trendy new spot in the city, and then went back to their place for a nightcap. I'd not been to their place before but both Lady Dar and Chloë had visited a number of times. Phenomenal views from each of their two balconies but otherwise I wouldn't trade it for Burns Street. Catherine complains it is too small so I gather they may well be moving, yet again!!!

Hey Patrick do you still want the cabinet? Thought you might of picked it up on you way through from Waynes. Hi Chillwackians! Hard to believe but we didn't have room in our car on return journey! I am back in Vancouver on November 8th. Will you be around then? I could stop on way down or back, depending on your schedule. I apologize for taking so long. No excuses but plenty of reasons! Could you also include your address in reply. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pretty Damn Seldom, J P McElroy: I remember when I was little how my mother used to say that a soft answer turneth away wrath, but I always thought that Father’s system – a gay answer – was better. Later I discovered the best system of all, and I don’t mean no answer; for you don’t get anywhere in married life not having an answer.


It was a Chinese traveller who evoked the magic formula which makes quarrelling almost impossible for my wife and me. One day, late for his train, he rushed over to the station baggage room, threw his check on the counter and demanded his bag. The attendant couldn’t find it. As precious minutes went by, the Chinese finally could stand it no longer. He pounded the counter with his fist and yelled: “Pretty damn seldom where my bag go. She no fly. You no more fit run station than god sake. That’s all I hope!”



Before hearing this, when anything of mine got mislaid, I used to scream like a banshee. But now I merely holler “Pretty damn seldom where my papers go!” In the old days my wife used to come back snappily with “If you put your papers where they belong, you’d know where to find them!” – which is sheer nonsense. I found the only answer to such a remark was “You no more fit run house than god sake!” which put her in her place until she learned to retort, “That’s all I hope!” –stopping all argument dead.


In the silly old days I used to moan, “Why don’t you fill out your cheque stubs properly?” Now I just say, “Pretty damn seldom where my money go. She no fly.” And I get just as far as I ever did – which is nowhere. As for the children, we never quarrel anymore about who is spoiling which. One of us merely looks at the other and says in a resigned way, “ you no more fit to run children than god sake!” which nobody can deny. Well, there it is. Pretty damn seldom where your happiness go. She no fly. But if don’t try this next time instead of quarreling, you no more fit run marriage than god sake. That’s all I hope.


Hi Old Farts, Thanks to all who attended last week’s breakfast. We see each other less and less as we hike with groups of different abilities…..it is good to get together once in a while. Perhaps more often than we have been, eh?
This week, we are going to venture up onto the South Slopes. For those who don’t know about the area, we travel up the Ashnola River and then Ewart Creek, just to the east of Cathedral Provincial Park. We will begin at the Ewart cabin and hike southward up Ewart Creek, then east up Juniper Creek, and finally north up onto the South Slopes. With luck we will be rewarded with some views of numbers of mountain sheep on the slopes.


The hike is long and strenuous in parts, and the forecast includes the likelihood of some snow. So, we must be prepared for conditions, including good footwear and warm clothing, in layers.
We will: -meet at 0700 (yes, that is the correct time!) at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0640 at IGA parking lot in Summerland) -carpool and make our way to the Ashnola and to Ewart cabin. -hike up to the South Slope -return to Ewart cabin, either by the way we came or via Starvation Flats and the Corkscrew (decision to be made on the day) -find a place for hot refreshment and debriefing and return to Penticton (don’t plan on an early return).

As I mentioned above, we are likely to come upon some adverse conditions such as snow. There is a chance that we may not be able to go the entire distance safely. Please be assured that we will not take any undue risks. If it is not safe to proceed all the way to South Slope, we may have to settle for less. Are you still interested? Please let me know if you intend to join us. Also make a note on your calendar of the following dates: -December 14th…..the annual Old Farts picnic on Cartwright Mountain -December 21st….the winter solstice evening snowshoe trip up Green Mountain Cheers, Jim

Hello Sir James! I want to apologize for not showing up for last week's breakfast. For some reason I had it in my mind that gathering was on Friday, rather than Wednesday! My fault entirely and I do hope that I didn't prevent anyone from attending. I was doubly annoyed at myself as I did want to see everyone as well as congratulate Louise and Jud on their recent marriage. Again, I'm sorry I didn't honour my commitment and that I missed what was, as you reported, a terrific gathering. Cheers, Abjectly Contrite Patrizzio! 


Not to worry, Patrick. There was room for all. It is much easier to deal with no-shows than with folks who come without letting me know. I’m sure that Jud & Louise will cross paths with you and you can wish them well. And hopefully we will have another breakfast before too, too long. It is good to get together! Cheers,  Jim Hi again, James! Thanks for being so understanding. On another matter, we helped Linda move some of her bedroom furniture, last Thursday. She is having the floors in both bedrooms re-done and wanted to have the work completed while she is in China! Nice work if you can get it! See you soon, I trust. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi guys, The only one I could add was Tony, I (still) cannot see the rest of you. If you downloaded Whatsapp you have to open it, maybe register, otherwise I can't see you! Cheers, Aart

No comments:

Post a Comment