Sunday 18 November 2018

Baron of Beef and Popover Blues: Sunday, November 18th!

Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste they hurry past it. -Soren Kierkegaard, philosopher (1813-1855) 


Good morning Patrizzio! It was a very nice coincidence running into you guys on the final leg of our afternoon of tasting, after visiting Painted Rock, Upper Bench, Roche, and Hillside. We haven’t been watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but have heard some very good comments about the show and will have to watch some episodes. After enjoying the sunset at Poplar Grove and stopping in at our very nice B&B (E’Laysa), we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Theo’s. Wonderful atmosphere and food. If you find yourself in Rossland, let us know. We can take in a tasting at our local craft brewery, the Rossland Beer Company. All the best! Mark


Buongiorno Christine and Mark! Pleased to know you enjoyed a delicious meal at Theo's. We live just around the corner from the restaurant, on Burns Street. Like your choice of wineries! We are members of three of the four, not Hillside, although we had a 2014 Merlot from there at Chloë's for dinner last night. Lady Dar, (aka as Corinne!), is a Marriage Officiant and has conducted a number of weddings at Painted Rock, as well as at Poplar Grove and Red Rooster. My favourite local brewery is Cannery Brewing, just down Ellis from us, so would be keen to sample product from Rossland Beer Company. 

We are off to see Widows this afternoon and then will be home for dinner. Rosie-the-Riveter, (aka, Clara, my mother-in-law, visiting from Manitoba), will be cooking a roast with her fabulous pop-overs/Yorkshire-pudding, requested by her granddaughters. Ayn flies back to Tinsel Town tomorrow. Have fun tasting around Oliver and travel safely back home. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hello Flash! Trust everyone is well. Another amazing coincidence yesterday afternoon. At Poplar Grove Chloë started chatting to the couple next to us and they turned out to be Christine and Mark Andison from Rossland and Andrea is Christine's doctor! Fondestos to one and all from everyone here at Burns Street. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Lady Dar's hot-water bottles! Hello Clan Durston! Trust everyone is well. Lady Dar is away at church and we will head to cinema when she is back to see Widows. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Ayn's delish taco dinner.
Hi All Winter has arrived here in Petawawa. We had a little snow last weekend around my birthday but it did not stay. But Friday this week we got 4 inches, so everything is white. Last year Gavin was still riding his motorcycle at this time and the year before right till Christmas. That will not happen this year. I think the snow is here to stay. Rachael is off at the movie theater to see Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. I just found a speech language pathologist who is taking private patients so Rach is starting speech again on Monday (likely every 2 weeks).

Our trip to California is one month away we arrive the 13th Dec get on the boat the next day and return the 17th. Ayn we should see if we can hook up one evening for supper. We are staying in Long Beach but also booking Universal, San Diego Safari Zoo and the Griffin Observatory. We leave early the 21st, we will have a rental car. My Fall semester at the College is coming to an end. Not sure if I will teach this winter semester or not! Mom you should stay in Penticton sounds nicer than Manitoba!!!

Hi all, Here it is…..all the news that’s fit to print for this week. First Reminder: The Old Farts Christmas Picnic takes place on Thursday, December 6th. There is a location west of Faulder which has ( I hope) a picnic table and biffy. The plan is to walk from Faulder to there and celebrate. Mark it on your calendar….more to follow. 

Second Reminder……Tune Agers Christmas concert is on Sunday, December 2nd at 2pm, in the Shatford Centre in Penticton. Tickets ($15.00) available at the Dragon’s Den, The Beanery, from members of Tune Agers Choir (Jim French, Aart Dronkers), or at the door. See you there.

Third Reminder…..The Old Farts Breakfast is this coming Friday (November 23rd) at 0800 at Second Home Café and Grill (13229 Henry Ave in Summerland). Please let me know via email by Tuesday at the latest if you will be attending. So far the list is still fairly short! I think there are some folks who have let me know in conversation…….please send me an email…I need numbers by Tuesday! Not sure if you are on the list? Email me again. Many Thanks

And finally……Thursday’s hike! You are going to explore the hills and valleys to the east of Wiltse Flats, beginning at Otto Strobel’s place. You will: -meet at 0900 At Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland). -carpool and drive to Otto’s home (144 Evergreen Crescent). Otto will meet you at his home, not at HH, so be sure someone knows the way! 


From HH, go east on Industrial, south on Dartmouth, turn east on the next part of Dartmouth, east on Wiltse Blvd, south on Evergreen Drive, and west on Evergreen Cres. You might want to consult your GPS! -ramble the area to the east. -return and decide on a place for refreshment and debriefing. I will not be going on the Thursday hike, so, if need be, contact Otto. Cheers, and enjoy the week! Jim Good Morning Jim: Would you be kind enough to send this recipie to THE OLD FART GROUP On your mailing list. Thank you. Have a great Week-end. Hugs from Hildi 😊 Me again!!! Apparently, many folks at the cleanup at Bryans asked Hildi for her wonderful recipe for chili. Well, here it is.

I would like to share a personal experience with my friends about drinking and driving. This might save you the cost and embarrassment of being arrested for DUI. As you know, people have been known to have unexpected brushes with the authorities from time to time, often on the way home after a "social session" with family or friends. Well, this year, it happened to me. I was out for the evening to a party and had more than several margaritas coupled with a bottle of rather nice red wine. It was held at a great Mexican restaurant. Although relaxed, I still had the common sense to know I was slightly over the limit. That's when I did something I've never done before...I took a taxi home. On the way home there was a police roadblock, but since it was a taxi they waved it past and I arrived home safely without incident. These roadblocks can be anywhere and I realized how lucky I was to have chosen to take a taxi. The real surprise to me was I had never driven a taxi before. I don't know where I got it, and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it. If you want to borrow it, give me a call.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment