Monday 12 November 2018

Black Cat Bad Boy Blues: Monday, November 12th!

Patience is also a form of action. -Auguste Rodin, sculptor (12 Nov 1840-1917) 


Good morning Patrick Looks like you had fun with your biking friends. I am not able to play bridge tonite as I have another commitment. Wishing you good cards and lots of grand slams!!! Judy xo Hi Busy Bee JB! We'll miss you but with your card table your spirit will be present. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Haha... happy cards No problem. Have fun! If Judy is able to join us then I will as well so we could play two tables but if not it's okay; I'll join you another time. Hugs to all, Olly Hi Susan! Are you interested/available for bridge this evening? If so we could have two tables at our place. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that I can plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Sure. I will be there Susan Hi Susanna and Olga Polga! Susan will be playing tonight so we need you Rolly Polly! Bring Craigola if he would like to play as well. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Alastair Bird It all goes well, thanks! Everyone is busy here - the end of the year tends to create lots of opportunities to run around and try to get things done. But we're well, the girls are thriving (Margot is 15 and in grade 10; Elise is 12 and in grade 7). In a few short years the house will be really quiet. No major travel plans for us - just a week in Mexico at Christmas with my family and then maybe something in the spring. How about yourselves? Patrick James Dunn All well here in Penticton!
Well? Yes, I guess we are! We have't decided if, when or where. I'll let you know! Thanx for the old timers! Sandee Radio Stations anywhere in the world: The green dots on this google earth represent a radio station anywhere in the world. Click on anyone of the dots and you will immediately listen to that station with very good sound. <http://radio.garden/live/toulouse/radiopresence/>Hi Radio Free World! When you decide tell us which radio station you have posted decision to! Cheers, Patrizzio!

After consulting Penticton Airport's weather forecast I knew that the wind would be blasting out of the South at 24 kph, gusting to 33 kph, when I decided to head out around 12:30 pm. This being the case I started out, heading south, following my basic route along Lakeshore and Riverside, returning to dipsy-doodle the side-streets off Ellis, leading to the start of the KVR. After this I took Government and then South Main to Skaha Lake Park, instead of Eastside Road as I really didn't wish to face the hellish gusts while I toiled towards OK Falls. 

Bad enough fighting them, if only briefly, anytime I headed into the wind on the side streets bordering SLP. Quite a few whitecaps on Skaha but none on Okanagan, just scads of lake gulls, bobbing close to the beach. Once I had the distance I needed I really enjoyed returning along South Main, [dodging Mallards and plump California Quail], and Government as I felt as if I had a sail pushing me along. Felt great and I whooped and hollered as I zipped home. Must have been my breakfast of yogurt, diced Golden Delicious and granola which realigned my Chakras before I hit the road! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3157315524#.W-oUpD1J5Lw.email

Patricio, Sir, I just now clicked on the garmin link for your ride, including the feature which causes the dot to move along your route. While it is impressive that you logged 50+km, the highly convoluted route suggests that you may have dementia or perhaps were “joyriding” (something my mother always warned me about). Still, it’s always good to get out. Question: obviously I was joking about your dementia, but I am wondering about your bike accident last summer and whether you are fully recovered. 

Reporting on my own affairs, I did rake all the leaves plus did some shrub trimming in the front today, doing so (as I now seem to do everything) consistent with Parkinson’s Law, thus finishing with a headlamp. Still, it left a good feeling. Tomorrow I will be hooking up with my friend Ken to do the grind — actually the BCMC if raining or the Flint & Feather if not. The FF is a fairly challenging alternate to the GG, largely unmarked tho fairly well established, and much more fun and interesting — kind of like El Capitaine. Of course any route will be tough for me as I have been both solitary and idle 🙀 of late, but vow to change my ways. In closing, as a memento of my affection, I enclose this recent picture of me. 

Hi Patrick, just back now. Jet lag in place. Had a spiffing time biking; trekking; kayaking; snorkeling; river swimming; tai chi; eating and of course drinking. Thanks for the photos. Looks like a lovely visit/Re union. Hope you are all well. Take care. Hi Glasgow! Welcome home! Great snap. Looks like a fun group. Did you travel together for entire trip? Quite a blow for Scotland and George, although I gather he didn't seem to work all that much! Dan, his brother-in-law, now lives closer to us, in Naramata, although we've not had a chance to visit yet. Did so when he and Val lived in Gallagher Lake. Her nephew runs the coffee shop/gallery, St Germaine, on Main Street, here in town. Hello to Catherine. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Rosita to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi all, Several things to bring to your attention, read on. First, the hike on Thursday, November 15th. We are going to the northernmost knoll of Bud’s Knob (the one overlooking Brent Lake). We will: -meet at 0900 at IGA parking lot in Summerland (0840 at Home Hardware in P’ton) -carpool and drive down Shingle Creek Road to its junction with the road to Bobtail Ranch -hike from the junction, first south to the knoll of Bud’s Knob, then west to Brent Lake, possibly around Brent Lake, and return to the vehicles. -find a place for refreshment and a debriefing. It should be a fairly tame hike but, as usual, you can’t be certain! There is no need to let me know. Just show up if you are interested.  

[It’s a disaster for Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Ace Cycles has now ceased operations 🚴‍♀️ FYI] Second, our Christmas picnic…Just an advance notice that the annual Christmas picnic will take place on Thursday, December 6th. Mark it on your calendar. Details coming soon. Third, an Old Farts’ breakfast. Tentatively, we are planning to gather for breakfast on Friday, November 23rd. Again, this is just advance warning. I hope to be able to give you the details tomorrow. And fourth, my annual unabashed bit of advertising,,,

The Tune Agers Christmas Concerts are fast approaching. The concerts will take place on Friday, November 30th at 2pm and Sunday, December 2nd, also at 2pm. Come and listen to “Sounds of Christmas” at the Shatford Centre in Penticton. Tickets are $15, available at Dragon’s Den in Penticton, at The Beanery in Summerland, or from any member of the Tune Agers, including Aart Dronkers or Jim French. Also available at the door!

 
Help & Advice: In case you ever need any help or advice, here’s my business card. I charge nothing. Dear Baby-Face Nelson! I am writing to you, hoping that you will be of assistance fin solving a most difficult problem which my dear wife and I have been attempting to deal with for the past two years. Although I do not see Cat Whisperer on your impressive card, I assume a man who can supply manure, nails and flyswatters in one fell swoop should be able to do almost anything. But I digress. Our "problem" has to do with our two ill-behaved felines, Miss Etta, (for Etta James), and "El Diablo" Duke, (for Duke Ellington). We feel that they feel that they are actually humans trapped inside feline bodies and we are wondering/hoping/praying that you might be able to effect an Exorcization, [Please, no projectile vomiting!],casting out the vestiges of human character and returning them to pure "cat" form. 

For this we would certainly be eternally grateful and although you claim that your services are free, we would send you cases of rare, expensive rum should we be in possession of un-possessed cats once you work your uncanny magic. Let me thank you in advance for your reply, at your earliest convenience, Dear Mr Baby-Face! I remains, as always, your ever 'umble, nay obsequious servant, and look forward to hearing from you by the next post. With fond regards and salutations, Prince Patrizzio of Penticton and Lady Dar of D'Angelo Winery of The Naramata Bench! PS: I have taken the liberty of attaching a number of pictures of our cats, the better to give you some idea of the magnitude of the overwhelming problem we are yoked with. Buona Fortuna, Baby-Face!

Hello Patrizzo, It is nice to hear that you are doing well and have fun. It is good to know that the trips were twice as useful when they created friendships. Here in Slovakia is the weather similar to the Sunshine coast. The weather is much warmer than normal. Trees are loosing leaves slowly and we can enjoy nice autumn hiking and mushrooms picking. Summer guiding season has finished so I have enough time for painting and organizing motivating and creative workshops. I have news for the next season - bicycling around High Tatras mountains in Slovakia and Poland connected with hiking. I have just finished another painting, here is a picture for you. Best regards, Katarina Hello Katarina! Lovely to hear from you and know all goes so well, including the weather. Especially impressed with your painting! What a simply wonderful realization, the powerful profile, the vibrant colours and bold strokes. My goodness, you are such a woman of so many incredible talents! Bravo!!! 

Dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral
Photo: Michael Garnett
For my part, still cycling. On the weekend when we were running a few errands downtown, we popped into the bakery which has just opened. Thought immediately of you as owners are from Slovakia. New bakery downtown - Penticton News: <https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/241486/New-bakery-downtown#.W-s_f3qLsFY.email> Come and visit and we can make sandwiches from their bread for our cycling outings! Must away as I am preparing last of remaining Golden Delicious for the dehydrator. Until next our paths cross, stay well Katarina. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Amanda with Lady Dar and Rosie-the-Riveter, [Corinne's Mom made fighter plane wing spars in Fort William during WW II.], waiting for event to open. With ticket, one chooses a soup bowl, [donated by local potters], and tries about seven or so different soups, prepared by local restaurants, caterers, etc. Lady Dar insisted on vetting our choices as bowls had to fit recently renovated kitchen colour scheme! Picking apples with Bill Sliva, owner; Matt with his wife Catherine, in front of him, just back from cycling in Viet Nam.



No comments:

Post a Comment