Saturday 17 November 2018

SS Sicamous Annual Christmas Craft Market Blues: Saturday, November 17th!

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (31 Mar 1596-1650)

 
 


The Xmas card was supposed to go in December, not now. I don’t know what happened. I double checked and it does say Dec 16 ... yikes. I will have to send a disclaimer! Did you get a mailed card or an e-card? I have to get this straight before I confuse people even more!! Yikes! 

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Katerina is far more talented than I am! I have taken such a long break from painting that I think I will have a devil of a time getting back to it. I have given up card making now. Costs me too much.
Glad you are mended and well. I wonder if the forecasters are right about a dry winter ahead! As long as we can rid of the smoke I will be happy. With all the fall burning going on the air has not been too good for us weaklings with asthma. 


We have been doing a few minor redecorating, installing a new thermostat and a new ceiling lights on main floor. Hello to all. By the way, we did enjoy The Honourable Woman” and now just finished an Australian series “Deep Water” which we enjoyed after we got all the characters figured out. I have a bad habit of falling asleep and missing critical parts. Thank goodness for rewind controls.


Hello Asleep at the Rewind Controls Woman! You remind me of Lady Dar who often has to watch a given episode as she often falls asleep while we are watching something! The Reindeer card, Seasons Greetings, was inserted in your Halloween message so that is the image I was referring to. From what you mentioned, if this is the same card, I gather it will be posted later. Anyway, it is certainly a wonderful rendition of these iconic creatures.

Thanks very much for the tip about Deep Water. When I looked it up I discovered that Yael Stone is best known for her portrayal of Lorna Morello in the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black. Lorna is one of my favourite characters in this series so I am more than delighted to see her in such an interesting detective/murder series. 

We have close friends who live in Bellevue Hill and when we stayed with them, [Coincidentally, there eldest daughter is named Yael as well!], I would walk to Bondi to swim at the ocean pool, Icebergs, there! Will be curious to see Sydney as we came to know the city reasonably well over the course of five visits there. Again, coincidentally, we have a number of gay friends there, [We first met Tim and David in Raratonga in January, 1992, on our way back to Canada, after our first trip to Oz in 1991, and saw them on subsequent visits.], and have visited the pub featuring drag queen shows, made famous in the 1994 film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Quite a scene, let me tell you!


Must away as we are off to SS Sicamous Annual Christmas Craft Market this morning. Last night The Sisterhood decided that they wanted to be there right at 10:00 am, when it opens, so we have to be ready to roll as soon as Ayn and Chloë arrive. Some logistics involved as Lady Dar rented a walker for Rosie as she uses it when she has to be on her feet for an extended outing. She'll have to walk up some of the stairs as I don't believe there is an elevator between the lower and upper decks. Anyway, we went last year and enjoyed it muchly. Buona Fortuna with figuring out you Christmas card list! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Interesting background you provided! I am sure you will find familiar scenes of Bondi but not of Sydney, if I recall correctly. Surprisingly Danielle Cormack plays a supporting role and I enjoyed watching her as lead in the beginning seasons of Wentworth. Both Cormack and Yael acted in women’s prison series. I do like the characters in Orange portrayed by Natasha Lyon and Tanya Manning as well though. Happy viewing! Hey I was just going through my address book and realized that I don’t have a street address for you. Could you send it to us? Hope all is going well with you. Don’t hear much now that I quit fb. Cheers Brenda Hi Narcoleptic Woman! I guess you really don't read my messages in their entirety as I included our address at the tail end of my first "reindeer" message. Funny how many of my friends want me to provide executive summaries! Anyway, here is where we live.

Thanks for further tip on Wentworth. Will have to look for it as well as Deep Water. I also really like Natasha and Taryrn. Not really familiar with Danielle. At any rate, plenty of interesting shows to watch. I will move my stationary bike inside soon and will set it up in our so-called Rumpus Room so that I can watch Netflix, etc. Did that first in 2016 when I was recovering from hip surgery. Can read on it as well so am very pleased with set-up.

Just back from the Christmas Craft Market and had a very pleasant time. We bought Ayn a mounted salmon carving made by Ron Laplante from Block 5 Studios. I had seen his work last year and was hoping he'd have a booth this year as I really liked everything on display. Had some very colourful California Quail this year. Saw a flock of them across our front street this morning. What darling creatures, zipping along the gutter, more or less in line, exploding into the air if something startles them. Of course, often come across them when cycling, both here in town and in the surrounding countryside.

Ms Tinsel Town and Lady Dar have gone shopping for tonight's dinner. Ayn is preparing tacos and we will eat at Sendero Canyon as while Rosita has seen Chloë's place she has not eaten there before. Chloë went to her place to start thinking about where she'd like to begin hanging some of her pictures and her sister and her mother will help her when they get there. Around 3:00 pm gang will collect Rosie and I as we are going to Poplar Grove for tapas, a new promo that has just started. We belong to their wine club and have a release to collect so should be fun.

Must away as Rosita is calling for a fire. I need to clean glass platen first although I have noticed that there has been very little build-up since we started using fire-place this fall. Just a few "scrubs" with balled up newspaper, slightly dampened to pick up ash from grate and soot, what there is of it, is gone. I think it has to do with how well seasoned the wood now is as I'm currently burning stuff that has been well-dried for more than a year, baked in two summer's worth of sun! Absolutely gorgeous day but chilly wind. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Poster; jeweler's work stand; loved this tray for Santa; pin-ups where crew would have eaten; Ayn with her salmon and carver, Ron Laplante; view north, from upper deck; view east from boardwalk. If you look carefully you can just make out Poplar Grove Winery above the third buoy from right. SS Sicamous. Glad to hear you are burning seasoned wood.  One of the main reasons why we moved from Barriere concerned the polluted winter smoke from those many loggers homes burning green wood.(now see!  I did read to the end of your email...)
Hi Cheeky One! Sorry, doesn't count as that message was very short! There will be a test on next extended missive! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Whirlygig, Calamity and Carlos the Jackal! Trust everyone is well. Another amazing coincidence this afternoon. Around 3:00 pm we went to Poplar Grove for tapas, a recent Vanilla Pod promo, from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm each day, I believe. We belong to their wine club and had a release to collect so was looking forward to showing Rosie the winery and its stunning view. Before heading to the restaurant we tasted, of course. Chloë arrived a tad later than the rest of us so she and I were still at the tasting pod when the others went to sit down. 

Started chatting to the couple next to us and they turned out to be from Rossland and woman said she worked at Red Mountain. Then I said that I knew two rabid doubles squash players, brothers, who had friends who were involved with the start of the ski hill. Then she said that Carlos was at the hockey game with her boss! [I believe she sent along a snap of Chloë and I to The Jackal!] At any rate, Christine's doctor is the sister of Kirsten, wife of close friend Flash, (aka The Young Jimmy Olsen or Alastair Bird.), and the last time we were in Rossland was for their wedding, about 15 or 16 years ago, now. 

Dinner on the evening before the wedding was held at Betty Jenkins' home, a "mansion" at the top of Main Street, I believe, with wedding reception held at the hotel, (something like McGregor/McKenzie), in town which she owned at the time. Anyway, had a grand time chatting with her and Mark. They were here for a weekend get-away. Lovely couple and told them we'd say with them next time we drive to Manitoba! Invited them to stay here, of course, so I hope we'll see them again, in the not too, too distant future.

Went straight from Poplar Grove to Sendero and while Ayn was preparing dinner we watched a couple of episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel . Do you know it? Quite a hoot as it is an American period comedy-drama series which stars Rachel Brosnahan, [Also in House of Cards until killed off!], as "the titular Miriam "Midge" Maisel, a housewife in 1958 New York City who discovers she has a knack for stand-up comedy." Wonderful meal and then we toddled off home as it had been along day. Fab fall day but chilly wind, at times, and it was -2º C when we drove home. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Rosita with Shruti, Chloë's boarder; relaxing before dinner.

Hello Poplar Grove Fellow Tasters! Quite a coincidence this afternoon! Lovely to meet you both. Trust rest of the day/evening went well. Do keep in touch. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: At the Tasting Pod and then outside with gorgeous wreath.

Okay, Beautiful People, I haven’t watched this YET but am forwarding it anyway, posthaste, to my favourite liberrians. To unsubscribe from these messages call up any time and tell me to bugger off. -Ross A librarian's case against overdue book fines (Dawn Wacek | TEDxUWLaCrosse) <https://www.ted.com/talks/dawn_wacek_a_librarian_s_case_against_overdue_book_fines?utm_source=tedcomshare&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tedspread> Hi Born Again Public Librarian! Thought Dawn's case was extremely well made so thanks for link. Friend from Berkeley, [Cactus worked in the Banncroft for many years.], mentioned he had just seen Can You Ever Forgive Me so perhaps you should post this to your "alert service"! Fondestos to you, Rakeman, from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Ross The Rake! This from Allen Soroka, former colleague at UBC:
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/10/a-photo-appreciation-of-libraries/573811/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20181026&silverid-ref=MzEwMTkwMTU4OTc3S0> Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Big Al! Trust all goes well. Enjoyed the wonderful photo gallery. This from a good friend who dropped out of Library School after completing first year! Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Good Morning Fartograms, The Fartograms are high on the list of "TO DO TODAY" so after a good cappuccino I sit here writing this notice. We continue to have great outings, such as the one last Monday to the Peachland Pincushions. We enjoyed ourselves so much that the Monday outing became more of a Thursday outing with 9+km loop and 600+m ascent. We did not lose anybody this time, so it that a good thing?

Coming Monday we will concur McIntyre Bluff under the capable leadership of Doug & Hanneke Button. We will gather in Penticton at the HH at 9:00AM for take off. Summerlanders should get together at 8:40AM at the IGA in Summerland to carpool to Penticton. The weather should be good, sun/clouds and up to 10 degC. See you all there! Aarturos Dronkeros

No comments:

Post a Comment