Friday 2 November 2018

Pushy Squamoids and the Bidding Wars Blues: Friday, November 2nd!

We have probed the earth, excavated it, burned it, ripped things from it, buried things in it, chopped down its forests, leveled its hills, muddied its waters, and dirtied its air. That does not fit my definition of a good tenant. If we were here on a month-to-month basis, we would have been evicted long ago. -Rose Bird, Chief Justice of California Supreme Court (2 Nov 1936-1999)


Hello Irish bard, No, I have not seen "Killing Eve". Will check it out. When it comes to TV, I'm mostly busy watching the horror movie of our lives on CNN, football (REAL football!) and tennis, and half-old movies from the movie channels I'm subscribing to. The last American series I got stuck on was "Homeland".


Sonny & Cher, 1966
For the rest, I go for walks, I play tennis (try to, at least), socialize with those of my friends and family who are still alive and kicking, and read books. I just finished "The Falls" by Joyce Carol Oates (first time I read anything by her; pleasantly surprised), and now I'm re-reading "The Great Gatsby". I think it's the third time, and each time it's like I never read it before. I have difficulties remembering anything of the story. Same thing with two other classics I read a long time ago: "Catcher in the Rye", and "To Kill a Mockingbird". They are on my list. But I also want to read books from other parts of the world, including Sweden. Started on "Doctor Zhivago" (love the movie), but the Swedish translation is terribly poor, and 650 pages in Russian is nowadays beyond my reach (40 years ago, it would have been different). Fondestos to you and the lady, Marcello

Hi Limoncello! Glad you enjoyed Homeland. One of our favourites and can hardly wait for next, and final, season! House of Cards is about to start as well so curious to see how Kevin "expires"! I salute your re-reading endeavours. I want to do the same with some you mention, (Re-read Zhivago a number of years ago, in English, however! For my part, I didn't really like film although I'm still in love with Julie Christie. Fell head over heels when I first saw her in Darling. I happened to be an usher in a small movie theatre in Winnipeg and saw it for weeks and weeks after she won an Oscar so I know it by heart. For me, think it is one of top movies of all time with superb performances by Dirk Bogard and Laurence Harvey, both gay men as it turned out! I didn't know or even suspect at the time. Haven't seen The Great Gatsby with Leonardo but have heard it isn't all that much. Quite recently heard a fascinating CBC interview with Joyce Maynard, one of Salinger's "young women" and it seems he was a sexual predator as well. Zombie is the only novel I've read by Oates and have read it twice! Just finished Kate Atkinson's Transcription which I thoroughly enjoyed, an interesting mix/cross between Bletchley Park, sort of, and Smiley's People. Must away as I needs must tidy up house for coming guests. Fondestos and Bestestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


I am out of the loop, Ayn bought a new place? How exciting!! Sorry to hear about Winston, very heart wrenching. We had a dry and nice evening for Halloween so every day without snow is a great day. Hope Clara May is doing well and enjoying her stay. Went to Marlo and Ryan's birthday party last Sunday and painted a picture, was nice party and Len and Bernice picked up the tab fir the liquor and appetizers. Marlo news is great, so Winnipeggers doing pretty good... Attached a picture of the painting we did at the party. Love Pam

Hi Spumoni! I'm just back from driving Lady Dar to PGH for her shift on Info Desk. Raining heavily so not a very nice start to the day. Ruth and Rick, from Squamish, are arriving later this afternoon so am wondering how their drive will be as there is snow on the Coquihalla! When I was home had a call from Ayn and unfortunately, she said she has had to withdraw her offer on condo she really liked. After she had first inspection report there were quite a few issues she was not happy about or comfortable with. Possible asbestos in the attic, air-conditioner and furnace on their last legs and no drainage in back yard. Aside for cost of asbestos removal, if required, she was looking at over $10,000 US to replace A/C and furnace. Furthermore, building is over 50 years old and she feels street-side profile looks very tired, if not run-down, so she is worried about resale, if/when she decides to move, given all the these issues.

Added to this is the fact that Winston will be put to sleep at 1:00 pm today. She is taking the day off from work, for obvious reasons, and will go in on Sunday as she has an important presentation on Monday. Pierre will now have to live in her "alcove", [Where we stay when visiting. Comfortable, but small, especially for a protracted period of time, for such a giant!], as he is a penniless, (Welcome to the Club!), student. Anyway, it is far better that she caught the significant deficiencies beforehand.

Not sure if you remember Halloween, 47 years ago, or not as that is when I met your sister, at Champs, on Osborne, that afternoon. Gorgeous Fall day when we went in but over a foot of snow when we left pub at 6:00 pm. Ayn went trick-or-treating with you, much to your annoyance, at the time, I gather!

Rosita is having a very good time, as far as I can tell. She has enjoyed playing bridge with our gang and we have been doing a fair bit of cooking together, given that Lady Dar is out and about for much of the time! We'll be playing non-stop bridge with R/R this weekend, [when not wine-tasting, that is, or going to the Winter Market on Saturday morning, (inside at the Shatford Centre)], so Rosita will be a key participant. She'll join us on Monday for two tables in Summerland. When not baking or cooking she is happy to read on the couch. Last night, after we were back from a very informative, yet most disturbing lecture on wildfires and climate change, we watched the first episode of Bodyguard, a "BBC drama about a bodyguard who's had a history in Afghanistan who, after rescuing a train from a suicide terrorist bomber, is assigned to protect the home secretary." I wanted to watch the next episode but The Sisterhood over-ruled me, claiming it was bedtime! In fact, they just wanted to go to bed to read!


Rosie is behaving like a real teenager ever since she arrived, sleeping in, sometimes until 10:00 am! We are planning stuffed peppers for dinner this evening so she and I will probably start preparations before I leave to collect Lady Dar at just after 12:00 noon. Chloë had her winter tires put on two days ago and when she went to go to work yesterday morning one of them was flat. Lady Dar drove to her place and then Chloë dropped her off as she needed her Bug for work. I'm on call today as I might have to drive to Sendero to drive her car, being followed by someone from garage where work was done back to garage. Chap will pump up tire before we leave and hope it will make it to work place. He thinks it might have something to do with the valve. Certainly always something!

Heard that the birthday party was a blast. Tell Bernice and Len to share the wealth as I always need more malt! From the wonderful shot of the picture, the spirit of Dusty lives on! Must away as I need to lay a fire to keep Rosita, (and the cats), cosy when she finally rouses herself from bed! Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Miss Etta napping inside, yesterday, away from cold and rain. Lady Dar, [Who claims she never has her eyes closed!], with Michelle Dunn at Cannery Brewery, that evening, for drinks and fabulous chicken nachos before lecture at Shatford Centre. What pictures, what birthday party ? Patti 



Hi Dame Judith and King Kevin! Trust you are both well. We'd love to attend next SOWTS event but Ayn, our daughter from LA is visiting that weekend, while her Grandmother is here, so it will be a busy family time. On matters malt, I picked up a bottle of Scallywag along with one of Timorous Beastie so you must pop by for a taste when in our neck of the woods. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Would love to pop over for a wee dram. Perhaps after all your company has return home. I finished the book. WOW! I don't know what else to say. Remind Corinne to bring Louise's book next Thursday. Dane Judith Hi "Dane" Judith! Are you still wearing your Viking attire from Halloween? You'd better pop over in next little while as our company is here until almost end of November and malt may well be gone by then! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, Congratulations to you and Corinne on the 47 year marriage milestone. That is a very significant accomplishment. Bravo! I am off to a play tonight at the new theatre, Tempest, at the corner of Ellis and Eckhardt. Looking forward to seeing what this new theatre will bring to the cultural scene of Penticton. Have a great weekend! Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment