Tuesday 4 July 2017

And It's Almost Independence Day Blues: Tuesday, July 4th!

Hello MS Lovely and The Prickliest of Prickly Things! Again, thank you for your offer of muleage, HOWEVER, in order to have this work Ayn must know when you will be in Van Nuys. [When does your flight arrive, please!] Friday, July 7th, is the wedding day and she will only be there between 9:30 am - 11:00 am. No room for any error whatsoever, given her pre-wedding schedule. If you miss this window there is simply nowhere to leave the goods for someone to collect later.

What I would suggest, if you have the time and inclination, is to come to our rental house in Oxnard on Santa Monica Ave. It is right off the 101 North to Victoria Ave exit and you are there! I gather you are comfortable navigating the LA freeways. If you have a GPS, Ayn thinks it will take you, from Burbank Airport, to I-5, to 118 West to pick up the 101 by Moorpark and then the rest is easy-peasy! [A pleasant enough drive and when you drive into Simi Valley freeway parallels, for a short time, Santa Susannah Pass Road, a route I have cycled quite often, last time being on Christmas Day, last year, when we had dinner with family there!] This way you can have a bite of lunch with us and a brief visit with all the out-of-town wedding gang and head back to Burbank whenever you feel you have to leave, based on traffic, when your friends will be home, etc. It will be a tad hectic with most of us having to ready ourselves for wedding ceremony as we must leave for venue itself to have pictures taken before ceremony but I know everyone would be more than delighted to meet/see you both so I urge you, plead with you on bended knee, to consider this option.

Again, I don't want to cause anymore fuss and bother than this has already engendered and especially don't want you to pack things only to have to take them back if handover doesn't take place. Perhaps we should call this evening when Lady Dar and Chloë are here, and we could actually nail down some of these important details, one way or 'tother! Anyway, ponder what I've said and let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Ayn is just off to her favourite Armenian butcher to collect some of the food stuffs she needs for tonight's bbq. We have been invited, [The Sisterhood arrive at LAX around noon so will be here around 2:00'ish], to Melvinator's rental house, in Northridge, for Independence Day celebrations. [About 20-30 guests, I gather!] I'm charged with making a large salad and dicing tomatoes and onions for salsa that Ayn is preparing. When does a poor boy have time to ride? Fondestos and Cheers from Scullion Patrizzio!

Pics: Sarge recovering after Ayn's Power Tour of Tinsel Town; last night's salad which Ayn insisted I put in the trifle bowl! Xavier and Sarge; LA Dude! I said goodbye to him this morning at 4:00 am just before Ayn whisked him to LAX. She was back home by 5:00 am as LA La Land was still asleep!


Patrick, Patrick, our flight will not get us in before 11, nor are we inclined to drive to Oxnard. We are doing everything we can to stay on the eastern side of LA and not drive all over the place. On the other hand, our host in Pasadena leaves on Sunday (we will only get to spend two nights with Gary) and we will have plenty of time on Monday to drive over to Van Nuys, which is not that far from Pasadena.  So let's work out a plan for Monday. Do call us tonight if you care to. If you are going to stay in Oxnard and not visit Ayn again on Monday, this would not work, but if you are going to Van Nuys on Monday something will surely work out. If you are just heading north from Oxnard, we will mail the material to Penticton. We did not realize the wedding was on Friday or we would not have suggested the initial plan. David
Hi again, Cactus! The saga continues. Understand about wanting to stay on eastern side of city, etc. Early Monday morning I will be driving north from Oxnard to make for Portland. Long haul, about 15 hours, but I've done it before. Ayn will drive Manitobans to LAX, leaving around 5:00 am so I plan to be up to say goodbye and take off when they do. Ayn then returns from first airport run to collect Lady Dar and  Chloë, by 8:00 am. The house there must be vacated by 10:00 am. Once all is settled in Oxnard, back to Van Nuys, I believe, before she takes them to LAX. [If straight to LAX, from Oxnard, connecting for handover, probably won't be possible.] I will find out exact times when everyone is here, probably by 3:00 pm this afternoon. If your schedules can mesh before Canucks leave for LAX that would work, having The Sisterhood more than delighted, I'm sure, to mule my sweaty cycling shoes, stinkin' to high, high heaven! 

At any rate, thank you for your more than generous offer to try to obtain lodging for me but even if I don't make it to Portland, I'd like to knock off as much distance as I can on Monday, to shorten next few days of driving before reaching Vancouver. Depending on how I feel, I might just treat myself to a steak dinner at Jack's in Redding and stay the night there. Anyway, I'll be in touch later today, once I know what Ayn thinks best for airport travel schedule.
Thanks again for all your efforts and flexibilty. Must away as I've to make my olive oil, white/balsamic vinegar, dry mustard and chopped garlic salad dressing. My variation of Sharktooth Annie's wonderful concoction! Cheers, Patrizzio as Paul Newman! Pics: Sarge before the Power Tour! Reservoir; Sign Tourists! Prickly Pear's cousins! Stopped to buy Lady Dar a diamond necklace! Graffiti in Santa Monica restroom! Cactus' upscale, highly coiffed Santa Monica cousins! Sergeant Preston of the Yukon heading for the...  

If you are driving north from Oxnard on Monday morning (which is a very sensible plan) there is no point in our giving the stuff to anyone else to lug. We'll mail it to you in Canada! I am not sure we have the address so why don't you send it to me and we'll take care of it, with any luck, tomorrow or Thursday!
Sorry you didn't have it whilst in L.A. Good luck surviving the wedding celebration! Cactus


Nancy had it written down somewhere. We'll send it all except for the oil, which I worry about in the mail. Let's see if we can get it launched in the next day or two. Cactus 

I had a great time. It was really nice to see Sarge again and of course you are always fun!! Thanks so much for the pictures. I will pass them along to Kate and Bryan.........enjoy...........Dave Hi Cantankerous Coffaro! [I really don't know why some people call you The Grumpy Winemaker!] Glad you enjoyed the snaps and thanks for forwarding them to Kate and Bryan. We certainly had a simply marvellous time, it goes without saying, so pleased you did as well. Busy time here, as you might imagine. When does a poor boy have time to ride or even take a sip of a rare Coffaro? Fondestos and Cheers from Scullion Patrizzio!

Had a wonderful Independence Day bbq at Melvin's place and terrific visits with many of his family members we'd not seen for quite some time. As we soon discovered, Samantha's older sister, Resa, and her husband, John, are keen wine-lovers so we had plenty of discussions about vino and regions, etc. They were, most recently, up in Napa, and so we suggested they visit Sonoma next, never having been there before.

Unfortunately, my forgetfulness continues as I did not replace the battery in my camera when we left for bbq. I had taken it out in the morning to make sure it was fully charged. When we were leaving Chloë asked me to fetch her phone from the living room, and I noticed her camera and battery charger beside it. [She has an earlier model than my present one.] This reminded me that I needed to take my battery from its charger, in the kitchen, but in the rush to leave, I didn't. Was quite annoyed as I really wanted to take snaps of Melvin and his family, in particular, but was not to be. Once we'd said hello and visited with many at the gathering, I asked Chloë to be my photographer and we made a few rounds of the pool area and she snapped me, interviewing/interrogating, with her iPhone! She'll email them to me at some point so I'll have some record of lovely, lovely gathering. Saw fireworks from the house as the view over the valley is spectacular. Home is situated fairly high up in the Granada Hills. Also saw fireworks along the way back in Van Nuys, lighting up the night sky so it was quite an impressive ride home. 


OMG, Good old friend! Patricio, So good to hear from you and in particular, your family and friends all doing very well. I'm also guilty of not getting to you soon enough and I apologize. My guess estimtes that you are in LA by now. Lucky us, I am also in the city of Angels. I always loomed forward to a ride with you and yes, your companies!!! I have mapped out a good route around the valley and its environs... I suggest a ride by the ocean about LAX too, if you are up to it?

Its been ups and down most after my return from vacation; perhaps reason for not being on thia trip with you guys - 'remember.' At any rate, still standing tall and full of experience. I'm in a religious fast and may not be my best in terms of physical endurance. In any case, i will definitely sieze any opportunity to reunite. Until then, please extend my humble regards to your loving Queen and Princeses.. Oh my contact for mobile, including text and whatsapp!!! Friends forever! Adewole D. Williams


HAPPY CANADA DAY!  What a day! Eh!  Canada is celebrating our 150th+ year! For us in Vancouver, we are having wonderful summer weather,  (25+), and it will be a grand day to celebrate!  Jo-Anne and Colin Hi Vancouverites! Glad weather cooperated for Canada's 150th Birthday Bash! Trust all goes well. Have enjoyed a simply fabulous trip to date.  Fondestos and Cheers from Scullion Patrizzio! Pics: Dinner with Famiglia Coffaro: Ryan, (boyfriend of Kate), Sarge, Kate, (eldest Coffaro daughter), David, Patrizzia, Patrizzio! Quick vineyard tour before we left for Berkeley; Golden Gate ride; Dinner with David and Nancy; Ayn's Power Tour of Tinsel Town: Hollywood sign and closest point we could drive to; Stopped here, on Rodeo Drive, to pick up a diamond necklace for Lady Dar's 70th birthday on July 19th! Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, on Santa Monica Pier, heading for the...; Pierre Xavier, (Alejandro's older brother), and Sarge! 

Nearly 35 years ago, Patrick and Howard decided to hire an Albertan.  To celebrate, Jo-Anne and I went to Bridges on Granville  Island for a drink.  Today we went back to celebrate.  Jo-Anne put in her letter.  Congratulations from Oxnard! What deliriously wonderful news, Jo-Anne! Hip Hip Hooray and Onward into Retirement, the just reward for the ever hard-working! However, I must needs clarify some of Colin's remarks. Howard did not decide to hire an Albertan! I had to convince him that it would be the biggest mistake of his life it he did not offer Jo-Anne the job! He was a lovely man, a wonderful librarian BUT I think he was intimidated by Ms High Power, Full Tilt Boogie and her approach to what she felt was needed to serve students and faculty. At any rate, the rest is history. Congratulations again!

Dear all, The miracle repeated itself, and I actually landed on Comox air base at 11.30 pm yesterday, ten minutes ahead of schedule, after spending 23 hours "on the road".I look forward to a lot of good times with you, my dear friends, in the months to come. (But please don't see it as an obligation!) Yours respectfully, Kjell (or Gus, either way) Hi Kjell and Jane, of course! What deliriously wonderful news! Hip Hip Hooray and Onward into the months to come. I drove down to LA with Sarge, leaving Vancouver on June 28th. Hope we'll see you both some time during the course of your stay, Kjell. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment