Friday 14 July 2017

Seymour Demo Forest Second Narrows Blues: Friday, June 14th!

Hello Duhlink! Glad you connected with Wild Bill and Denise Dangereux. Had a fabuloso evening with Ragin' and then we came back to Bayswater for a round of bride. Ted and Ragin' trounced Elaine and I. Helped Theodore move their old dishwasher and gas stove off balcony this morning and will now ready myself for a ride to North Van with Lee Bacchus and friends. Just heard Billy Bragg with Stephen Quinn so hope to see him this afternoon at Folk Fest. Must away as I'm to meet gang at Stanley Park at 10:00 am and need to have a bite and fill my camel pack. Fondestos to my galloping felines! Love you Madly. Cheers, Patrizzio.



By chance, I bumped into Peter Bourne on Thursday afternoon, on Broadway, when I was headed for Minervas to pick up some olives and Feta cheese for the dinner that Ragin' Bull was preparing that evening. Great to catch up with him and when I asked if he wanted to ride on Friday he mentioned that he and Lee Bacchus were going to cycle to the Seymour Demonstration Forest in North Vancouver and I was welcome to tag along. Delighted, of course, although I would be Tail-End-Charlie. From past experience, I knew he and his mates rode at faster speeds than I could maintain over longer distances. Still, I was looking forward to the outing as I hadn't been to SDF for a couple of years and I also wanted to ride over the Second Narrows, on way back, as I'd not been on the bridge since the bike/pedestrian lanes had been upgraded.

Talked to Lee that night and he said group would meet at Stanley Park, at the Info Kiosk near the horse-trolley station, at 10:00 am. I left the Bayswater B&B at just after 9:00 am and rode the Seawall, around Science World, as I was curious to see the recently completed, divided bike/pedestrian lane from Granville Island to Cambie Bridge. Good to have the two activities separated as it is a very busy thoroughfare, especially during the summer. However, not that many people on it at this time of day so I was sped along and was at the rendezvous point about 9:50 am. No sign of the Gang of Four and by 10:15 am I decided that if they didn't show by 10:20 am I'd head out to do a road circuit of the park and then make my way back to Bayswater. 

Just as I was about to put this plan in place I noticed two riders come around the side of the kiosk and one of them was Lee! They had been waiting there, out of sight to me, since 10:00 am. Anyway, we joined up and proceeded to make our way over Lions Gate, catching up as we'd not seen each other for four years or more. The rest of the group was waiting for us once were over the bridge and I was introduced to Doug and the Slugs and Carmanito Miranda, the speedsters, along with String Bean Bourne. Piston Man was a bit upset as after introductions it turned out that Horsehsoe Bay was the destination, not SDF. Either way, I was happy as I do like the run to the ferry terminal and had not cycled this route in two years, since just before we moved to Penticton.

Anyway, we set off and for the stretch through Ambleside the going is slow as it is crowded with the good burghers of West Van and their dogs. Once on Marine Drive, just past the lights at Dundarave Village, I waved goodbye to the rest as they raced off. I didn't mind as I usually ride alone anyway and it was good to be back on one of my favourite routes. Day was glorious and I plugged along, each approaching hill remembered for its grade and downswoop. On one of the last climbs before the long haul, past the marina and up to Glenaagles Golf Course, I was past by two other riders, a man and a woman. The latter was a very strong cyclist and was always ahead of her friend, leading him up the last long climb. I was quite surprised to catch up to him about halfway up and once behind him I noticed he was wearing a snazzy 2017 GranFondo jersey.

I presumed he had ridden in the event last Sunday and turned out I was right, although he only did the 120 km event.  Day before he had ridden out to UBC and then on to Steveston, a combo of the two rides I'd done on Wednesday and Thursday. On Wednesday, Robo Man, Ragin' and I had ridden to Steveston, via the Arbutus Corridor, and on Thursday I'd dipsy-doodled my way around campus and environs. He is from the Netherlands, living in Haarlem, working as a financial advisor for start-up companies. He has ridden in the last three Penticton GFs and has many friends here so it is a holiday for him. 

As we approached the relative flat near the fire hall we said goodbye and I noticed Piston Man just ahead. The gang had already made the descent into Horseshoe Bay and were on the return leg. Since I wanted to do the same myself, I circled back to chat with Lee and thank the lads, before proceeding to HB itself, to see my Dutch friend sitting on a bench, in the shade. I guess his legs were starting to weary after all the previous, lengthy rides. Anyway, I swooped down the glorious run into HB and then started back up. Climb wasn't as grueling as I had imagined it might be so was pleased that my cycling fitness wasn't too, too bad, given all the traveling and carousing I'd done since being away from home.

Enjoyed the ride back and the gorgeous views of the city from a number of open spots on Marine Drive and then the breathtaking vista of English Bay from the deck of the Lions Gate. Took Burrard Bridge back as I wanted to scope out the latest changes to the bike lane approach and the upgrades to the bridge railings. Looked terrific but it is a nightmare for drivers as with work in progress on eastside it is down to one lane heading north. Still, I was riding so no traffic jam for me and I was soon at Kits Beach, ogling the svelte babes sunning themselves. Back at Bayswater by just after 1:00 pm and knew I'd have to be sharpish about showering and changing as first stage at Folk Fest was on at 2:00 pm. Nevertheless, felt quite exhilarated as I had not expected to ride to Horseshoe Bay or connect with former squash mates. Hip Hip Hooray! Cheers!!!

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1862838492#.WXDLSyZR_Fc.email
 

No comments:

Post a Comment