Saturday 15 July 2017

Hardly Strictly Blues Blues: Saturday, July 15th!

Up at 7:34 am after a pretty sound sleep. Ride to Horseshoe Bay with Doug and the Slugs, Carmanito Miranda, String Bean Bourne and Piston Man plus the walk to and from first afternoon/evening at the Folk Fest at Jericho, left me well rewarded but weary. Will have a quick shower and a bite of breakfast before I put together my snacks for today's lunch and dinner. Want to be at Stage 3 to see Corey Harris & Alvin Youngblood Hart, et al, at 10:00 am. Didn't hook up with Flamin' and Sarge yesterday. Had a message from Sarge and he said they would have their blanket near the Wheelchair section. I did look there but saw no sign. Was even on that side for the last few acts on the Main Stage. They will be there, off and on as it goes at the Fest, today so I should connect, especially in the daylight or at the Beer Tent. Really looking forward to seeing some of the performers I've already targeted at the smaller stages.

Hi Sarge! Up at 7:34 am after a pretty sound sleep. Ride to Horseshoe Bay, (71 km), with Doug and the Slugs, Carmanito Miranda, String Bean Bourne and Piston Man plus the walk to and from first afternoon/evening at the Folk Fest at Jericho, left me well rewarded but weary. Sorry I didn't hook up with you yesterday. Before the Main Stage started I did look around the area near the Wheelchair section but saw no sign of you folks. Was even on that side for the last few acts on the Main Stage.

Since you mentioned that you will spread your blanket thereabouts, today, I'll scope you out as someone will probably be there, off and on as it goes at the Fest, today so we should connect, especially in the daylight or at the Beer Tent! Really looking forward to seeing some of the performers I've already targeted at the smaller stages.
Want to be at Stage 3 to see Corey Harris & Alvin Youngblood Hart, et al, at 10:00 am. Will probably stay there for next session and then my wanderings will begin.

 
We need to chat about how to get your wine and gear to you. I probably won't be staying until the end tonight or tomorrow evening so I could pop by to drop things off unless you will have parked a car reasonably close to site. I'll give you a call just before I leave Bayswater B&B, Must away as I want to have a quick shower and a bite of breakfast before I put together my snacks for today's lunch and dinner. See you soon, I trust. Cheers, Patrizzio! [
Searched for you today but no luck. Will be by the handicap area tomorrow. Wayne] Pics: Doug and The Slugs just below Lions Gate; Will Varley, (I want to see more of him.); C.R. Avery, (I didn't know him for his singing and playing and I was very impressed.);Rhiannon and her group were fabulous, fabuloso; Billy Bragg and Joe Henry, (Didn't know latter and am sorry that this was his last act at Fest.)

Hope I didn't scare you off with the description of our diet these days. Unfortunately the wind did pick up this afternoon in the interior. It is quite a shock to hear that Williams lake has been ordered to evacuate. Wally and I drove to the Halston to check the traffic coming South on Highway 5 at 10:00 this evening It has been just over four hours since the evacuation notices were posted and the traffic is pretty steady already. Williams lake has a population of about 12,000 but there is another 25,000 in the surrounding area. This will probably mean that Kamloops' resources will be stretched to the limit so most likely a lot of the evacuees will be directed further south. You may even see some of them. 

There is another fire reported north of Kelowna so I don't know whether that passage is clear. Have you heard anything? The Coq is still open. We can see the orange smoke in the distance from the Little Fort fires. I guess the Cache Creek fire has really taken off now too. Being so close to the airport we can see so many aircraft of all types passing over us continually and well past twilight when they usually return to base. I hope your grandson is OK fighting those California fires B 

Hi Brenda Louise! Thanks for the update on the fires from your close perspective. Coincidentally, and I wish it was not the case, I'm listening to the special report on fire activity on CBC, as I scribe. I feel guilty as I've been attending the Folk Fest ever since Friday and have seen some wonderful, wonderful artists. Last day tomorrow and then I will drive back to Penticton so I'm crossing my fingers that the Coquihalla will remain open, as you suggest it is, as of the writing of your message.

Life has been a whirlwind ever since I left LA this past Monday and was much the same when I left Penticton, on June 28th, to drive to LA, so I owe countless friends thanks for more than generous hospitality, along the way, going and coming, if not simply replies to the many messages I've not been able to keep up with!

Thought of you people and Picasso, last Sunday, when we went to the Farmers' Market in Oxnard, not all that far from where we were staying, as I bumped into a chap who had Charlie on his arm. Told him about Picasso. I think his parrot was from Central America.

Folk Fest is a terrific festival but can become exhausting as first performances start at 10:00 am and finish at 11:00 pm. This morning I was up at 7:34 am after a pretty sound sleep. Ride to Horseshoe Bay, (71 km), with Doug and the Slugs, Carmanito Miranda, String Bean Bourne and Piston Man, on Friday morning, plus the walk to and from first afternoon/evening at the Folk Fest at Jericho, (about twenty minutes to half an hour), left me well rewarded but weary.


Left the site at around 8:00 pm this evening as I had seen all of the acts I wanted to take in and hoped I'd be able to send a few messages before I conked out. Fortunately, for me, I was able to sit in the shade all day with simply marvellous views of the various stages. Tomorrow may well be a slightly different story as Stage 4 has no tree shade at all but sometimes one can sit in the shadow of some of the tents housing sound control and one for disabled access. Of course, I wear plenty of sunscreen, have a hat and long sleeves, etc., so think I'll be okay even if it is baking.

 
Must away as my lids are starting to droop! Going to be a tough time for next little while so our hearts go out to all the evacuees and those fighting such dangerous, destructive fires. Fondestos to you and Wally. Cheers, Patrizzio!


2018 TRAVEL PLAN BIKE RIDES EUROPE! Hi Gals and Guys,

We had to book our flights for next year at the earliest time otherwise we would not be able to get preferred dates and Premium Economy. So we have booked to be in Munich on 3 June 2018 with a departure date ex Munich of 3 July. Our plan is to spend three to four days in Munich (do the drinking and eating thing oh and some sightseeing) then bike ride to Vienna 10 days downhill all the way pretty much, following to tow path along the Danube to Vienna then about four days in Vienna do the opera etc. Then off to Innsbruck for a day or two, then down the Dolomites again pretty much downhill, to Verona or Venice fly back to Munich and home. The bike rides are the ones I sent earlier, those that don’t want to peddle all the way can get E bikes. Would be thrilled if you want to join us as we are now committed to dates. Cheers Greg and Claire

We haven't gotten around to planning this one yet but now that we have target dates will let you know how we are working through it . Like the downhill biking but I think Patrick will look for road less travelled up hill on cow paths . Keep in touch Michele Wayne still working on the Vietnamese scene or boat in wire. To send to you.

Hi All, thought we should talk about this soon. We had talked about going to Eastern Europe and Michele had mentioned that she was interested in Spain and Portugal as am I. I'm interested in any of the above. Also Claire and Greg sent an email about a bike trip from Vienna to Venice. Had you given that any thought? I would like to go in March, April, October, or November which would be fine for Spain and Portugal but for Eastern Europe April or October would be better weather. Let me know what you all think? See you Thursday Wayne and Michele. What time will you arrive? Hugs Corinne 

Hello! Friends: Hope all of you are enjoying a nice summer.   It sure is a hot & dry one here.
My Mom went to Emergency 2 weeks ago with a GI bleed and after an Endoscopy, cat scan, 2 pints of blood & finally a Colonoscopy. She was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease - condition where small bulges or pockets stick out of side of colon & causes the colon to bleed.  The bleeding usually stops on its own.

Mom was admitted to hospital after being in Emerg for 2 days.  The bleeding has stopped and she is off IV.  She is very weak & tired and unable to stand or get out of bed.  My Dad has decided that he is no longer able to take care of Mom at home and we will be transitioning her to a nursing home.  My sister will be talking to the Social Worker on Monday to start the process & get the ball rolling.

We are busy with 3 sets of company coming for visits the next 3 weeks.  I have booked my flight and will be flying back to ON on August 24th.  Paul will fly in on Sept. 28th & will spend Thanksgiving with friends before we fly back together on Sat. Oct. 14th. Dad is still recovering from his kidney surgery which he had in March and I will be helping my Mom with the transition to nursing home. Keep Cool Mary Lee :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment