Saturday 8 July 2017

Post-Wedding Overhang Blues: Saturday, July 8th!

The most perfect technique is that which is not noticed at all. -Pablo Casals, cellist, conductor, and composer (29 Dec 1876-1973) 




Not up until 8:00 am although Lady Dar, who stayed with The Bright Young Things until the Reception was over at midnight, (Rosita and I went home with Patrizzia at 10:30 pm.), rose before me, complaining vociferously about the Hip-Hop music the DJ played! The Nuclear Family will explode in many different directions today but I plan to enjoy my time going for another ride, hoping to explore more of the surrounding countryside.   

Hello Old Oakians, Naramatatians, Peachlanders, other Freeloaders and Their Generous Hosts, et al! Trust everyone is well. I know Lady Dar replied, earlier, about newly minted grandparents staying with us, and that invitation still stands. However, she failed to mention that Flamin'/Sarge, and another couple, their friends, will also be staying over the course of your visit to the Okanagan. We have enough room for everyone and certainly welcome your company BUT if you think you might be more comfortable elsewhere, given the other lovely invitations on offer, our Burns Street feelings will not be hurt. With all the travel and wedding palaver, we had meant to pass this along sooner but this morning, with the simply wonderful wedding over last night, we have had a chance to catch our collective breath. Let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

As already mentioned, the wedding was a Tinsel Town dream come true and the wedding rehearsal dinner, the night before, a wonderful gathering of family and friends we'd not seen for some time. The Bright Young Things are off to Santa Monica and Venice Beach for the day. Ayn is taking Lady Dar and Rosie-the-Riveter for lunch to celebrate Cora Lee's 70th and her 50th, Great-Grand-Mama will pay! Patti and Rachel will go to a movie, Despicable Me III, (Poor Patrizzia is shaking her head!) For my part, I will head out for a ride, shortly. Went for a grand outing yesterday, [Your shoes and gloves are fabulous, Sarge, so thanks! {I forgot mine in Berkeley on way down!}], and hope to explore further afield today. Ayn is cooking tonight's meal so there will be plenty of post-wedding analysis, I'm sure. Fondestos to one and all. Look forward to seeing everyone, in and around Penticton, in a week or so. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Wedding rehearsal dinner, Thursday evening; Pierre's girlfriend, Ida, and Chloë's cousin, Cody; Samantha and Alex with Ayn and
Chloë; Wedding afternoon, shortly after arriving at venue, Spanish Hills Country Club, in Camarillo: Rosita with Alejandro and Xavierino; Three generations! Ceremony itself: Verneen walks Sam, Ayn does the same for Alex; Newlyweds! Pierre guarding cake; Jumping the Broom and Second Dance with Moms!


Thanks for the wedding photos - what a lovely family and venue - I'm glad all turned out well. I'm confused, which two sons are Ayn's - Pierre, Cody, Alex? Alex is the groom - I got that :). Who are Alejandro (Alex?) and Xavierino?
PatAnd what makes you think I'd be shaking my head about Despicable Me III?....(well, maybe I was). Hello Patrizzia II and Grumpster Extraordinaire! Glad you enjoyed the snaps. It really was a terrific wedding. Patti/Patrizzia is Rachel's mother. Rachel is a very highly functioning Down syndrome young woman and her taste in movies is not always what the family would necessarily choose.

In fact, I wasn't casting aspersions on your snobbishness, Patrizzia, as you assumed I was, but was referring to poor Patti having to spend the afternoon watching "the mischievous Minions"! When I was back from my ride, shortly after they returned from the theatre I asked Rachel if she was going to see the movie again, when they were back in Ottawa. Indeed she was she assured both me and her Mom, as she often sees films she likes, over and over and over again! [She and her sister, Rebekah, will be enjoying VIP treatment at Universal Studios. Patti will Ubered them into LA at just before 6:00 am, tomorrow, (returning to bed as soon as she waves goodbye, I'm sure!), for the day. Rachel has a trust fund and Patti can claim such expenses against it for both Rachel and any adult, (family member or other), accompanying her on such outings. Most often this is used to attend Special Olympics and the like. 


At the wedding rehearsal dinner, this past Thursday, we were ready to leave but Rachel had barely started eating her dinner. Patti told her that the waiter would put it in a take-away and she could finish it at home. Rachel replied: "Oh bummer! Mom, you're ruining my life!" Of course this had us all in stitches and now, with eleven of us all in one place most of the time, whenever someone tells someone to do something, (load dishwasher, do up a seat-belt or fetch another bottle of Coffaro), this is the standard reply! Never a dull moment, on the road, with Clan Durston!

Pierre Xavier, (hence Xavierino), is Ayn's eldest while Alexander, (hence Alejandro), Nelson, (for Mandala), is the groom. Cody is a cousin to Ayn and Chloë, Pamela, Lady Dar's youngest sister, being his mother. Marlo and Carly, other two cousins along, belong to George, (Giorgio), Lady Dar's brother, second in line, after her, then Patti, then Pamela/(Spammer/Spumoni)! Rosie-the-Riveter is Lady Dar's Mother and since Clara riveted fighter plane struts in Fort William, [Now Thunder Bay, Ontario, then known as The Lakehead as it is on Lake Superior, not all that far from Duluth.], during WW II that is what I call her! Please keep this family tree for future reference!!!

Thanks again for the lovely visit and wonderful, wonderful hospitality. Will crack the Sparkling Pinot tomorrow evening, watching the sunset, toasting the newlyweds. All the best to you both. Fondestos from Winston. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Sunset on top deck yesterday: Cody, Carly, Chloë; Patti and Rebekah; Marlo, Lady Dar and Cody; Rosita and Ayn; sunset with palms and power lines!


Hello Casa Vicente, Madroña Manor, Kenton's House of Three Bears and Wild and Woolly Wildwood Park! Trust everyone is well. With all the travel and wedding palaver, I hadn't really had time to think about Cactus' earlier comment about the "Plastic Thingy"! Initially, I simply assumed that he was referring to the opened bag of Vegetable Straws but last night, just before I dropped off, I realized that he was actually alluding to the medical assist sock-puller-on device, I have been using since my second-hip repalcement! Yesterday, for the life of me, I couldn't find it anywhere, here in the house in Oxnard. I assumed it was in the car but The Bright Young Things had taken it to have their toes and nails done by the time I was ready to ride so couldn't check. However, if you didn't mail it, please keep it until next visit as I still use it whenever I need to put on socks for hiking or riding. Lady Dar was quite upset that she had put on dress socks for me last night for my new wedding shoes! I told her I was happy to wear Crocs!!! Cheers, Patrizzio! Thanks. Plastic thing is in package! Hello Mail Order People! Thanks again for your on-going dedication to picking up after me! Thanks again for the lovely visit and wonderful, wonderful hospitality. All the best to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

What a happy occasion. Thank you. Hi Glasgow, et al! Glad you enjoyed the snapolas. I'm staying in Vancouver for Folk Fest, (14th-16th), before driving back to the Okanagan to ready house for next round of Freeloaders! Are you going to FF, Glasgow? Perhaps we could arrange a ride, sometime on Wednesday through Friday, if around and interested. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hello Digitale and Fingare! Trust you are both well. Just a quick note to say that I plan to drive to Portland on Monday, July 10th, the day we vacate our house here in Oxnard. Since some of the gang will be leaving for LAX around 5:00 am I will be up to say goodbye and then hit the road myself. All going well, it is about a 15 hour drive so if it is still fine with you, I should arrive around 9:00 pm. If not, perhaps you can give me The Girls' phone number and I'll risk leaving my wine with them! Anyway, let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Had an outing to Ojai this past Thursday. Lady Dar with Rachael, her niece; Cody, Chloë's cousin; Patti, Rachael's Mom; Marlo, another cousin, Rosita and Lady Dar; new earrings! More cousins, Cody, Carly and Rebekah, Rachael's younger sister; my vanilla shake with maraschino cherry and red straw!


By the time everyone had left to go sightseeing or movie-going, and I'd done a bit of packing and laundry, to ready myself for loading The MarriageMobile, Sunday evening, in preparation for my 15 hour drive to Portland on Monday, it was close to 2:00 pm. Had been thinking about where i would head ever since Friday's ride so knew pretty well where I was going. In general, I wanted to ride the very long arterial streets connecting the various housing developments in the area, as opposed to criss-crossing and gerbalizing within the enclaves themselves.

This being the case I rode as far as Gonzales Road, the first major, east-west connector I'd not ridden before but knew about from earlier drives. Once heading east along it, I formulated the plan for the rest of the outing, as I had a fairly good idea of how I could spend the next two or three hours. When heading west on Gonzales, after I'd dipsy-doodled my way to that side of the road without having to stop to touch The Dreaded Burning California Ground, Dear Reader, I did make an exploratory number of forays into Windsor North River Ridge to enjoy the lovely homes, beautiful landscaping and shady, tree-lined streets. Even here, however, I limited my route to those avenues and trails which took one around, rather than deeper into, the development. At one point, I rode past a golf course on Arcadian Shores Trail, and the houses here were situated in one of the most lovely enclaves I'd encountered. 

Did a bit more retrcing of my earlier steps to hit Gonzales again and then headed west across Victoria to scope out the what I knew would be agricultural land almost all the way to the ocean. Sure enough, I was soon passing many Mexican field workers coming off shift, [It was now about 3:30 pm], making for their vehicles, parked along both sides of the road. All were heavily garbed and  hatted, many with full kerchiefs still covering most of their faces. I saw a number of individuals removing what I took to be boot coverings of some sort or another, from their footwear, so as not to bring the rich soil dust into their cars. Proceeding about a mile past I could see the beginnings of sand dunes and a road which paralleled the ocean but felt I'd not time to explore further so I turned around in a Dole warehouse driveway, [I assume the company owns the surrounding fields.], and made my way back towards Victoria. 

Most of the workers I'd seen earlier had departed and I was able to have a better view of the fields they'd been working in, comprised of long, long rows of slightly raised, plastic covered beds which I could now see had been punctured and planted with seedlings of some sort. This was the closest I've ever been to seeing the actual faces of such workers one encounters most everywhere in California where such crops are grown, and indeed, in Richmond or Oliver, back in Canada, per esempio. A far, far cry from the privileged dwellers of Arcadian Shores whose kitchens are supplied by the hard, hard labour of these people, people who Trump and his ilk want to banish from America. 

Back across Victoria, I made my way to North Ventura Road as I wanted to see if I could use it to ride south to reconnect with Hemlock, a street I knew would allow me to put myself back on Ketch Avenue. There is a light there, activated by any vehicles on either side of Victoria wishing to cross said street so I knew I could piggy-back to cross this busy thoroughfare. However, since I'd never ridden this far east before I wasn't familiar with the streets I came across so had to do a bit of dipsy-doodling before I hit Wooley Road and then I knew where I was. Bit of circling on Ketch until I caught a light and then I was homeward bound. With the earlier backing and forthing, to find Hemlock, I had logged about 53 km when I hit Victoria so I knew, from past calibrations that I'd have roughly 57 km on the clock when back at Silverstrand. Almost to the dot when I reached Santa Monica Ave so I did one more large loop of the small community to pull up in our beach house driveway with a reading of 61.72 km and an AVG of 20.3 kph. Pleased as punch, Dear Reader! Hip Hip Hooray for Oxnard and environs!! Great riding indeed!!! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1843217225#.WWF-S2VkBHE.email
 
 

Hey Patrick, Your pics are great. Looks like the wedding and all celebrations were wonderful. Monday night here will be fine. I will be at my sister's house that night because I'm taking her to the cardiologist on Tuesday morning. However, Mike will be home and hopefully awake. Your bedroom is as you left it. The little towel has been washed and is on the sink.

I will be leaving lasagna, salad and bread for Mike's dinner on Monday, so there will be left overs for you when you arrive. If you get tired (15 hours is a long drive) let him know. For the record, here is the home phone (not the one you called on the way south, which was discontinued about 12 years ago) Sorry to miss you, but leave your wine in the cellar . . you know we don't touch it. Have a safe trip. Fondestos (as you say . . but not sure how you spell it) Marilyn


Hi Lasagna Woman and Early-to-Bed Michaelo! Thank you for thinking of my dinner needs even in absentia! Michaelo, please don't wait up if sleepy as I'll creep into the house whenever I arrive. If I feel drive is too, too long, at some point, I'll certainly call but plan to be a good boy tomorrow night so think I'll be fine, especially with nobody to tell me what to do, every moment!

Ayn prepared a fabulous Mexican meal that evening and there was still plenty of Coffaro hootch so a good time was had by all, as I'm sure you can imagine! Fondestos to you both, from Lady Dar. Stay well and hope to see you soon, Digitale. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: On top deck, watching sunset, this evening!


Hi Patrick Great wedding pics. Our best to the beautiful bride & handsome groom. Not to mention the gorgeous Mothers, Grandmother, Great-Grandmother, Aunt, Brother & extended family. Noticed you are missing from the pics. Look forward to hearing all about the event when you arrive. Cheers
Elaine
Hello Bayswater B&B! Glad you enjoyed the snapolas. I took most of the pictures but there are a few of me, from others and a "selfie" or two! Will give you a blow by blow account when I check-in, probably late afternoon on Tuesday, July 11th, if that is still fine with you. If not, I'm sure I can insist myself on some other unlucky household! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Selfie with Ida, Pierre's girlfriend!



No comments:

Post a Comment