Sunday 16 July 2017

Morning Glory Jim Byrnes Blues: Sunday, July 16th!






Not up until 7:40 am as I'd made my snacks for today last night. Few showers predicted, for the morning, so I will take along a small umbrella, just in case. Skies to clear this afternoon so I hope weather forecasters are right! 

Hi Patrizzia II and Cantankerous Coffaro! Thanks for the good wishes. I'm more than well but not the same for many communities here in the province, as close as Kamloops and Vernon. Yesterday, had this message from a good friend in Kamloops:

[Dermot Shirley Coquihalla River at Othello Tunnels]


Unfortunately the wind did pick up this afternoon in the interior. It is quite a shock to hear that Williams lake has been ordered to evacuate. Wally and I drove to the Halston to check the traffic coming South on Highway 5 at 10:00 this evening It has been just over four hours since the evacuation notices were posted and the traffic is pretty steady already. Williams lake has a population of about 12,000 but there is another 25,000 in the surrounding area. This will probably mean that Kamloops' resources will be stretched to the limit so most likely a lot of the evacuees will be directed further south. You may even see some of them. 

There is another fire reported north of Kelowna so I don't know whether that passage is clear. Have you heard anything? The Coq is still open. We can see the orange smoke in the distance from the Little Fort fires. I guess the Cache Creek fire has really taken off now too. Being so close to the airport we can see so many aircraft of all types passing over us continually and well past twilight when they usually return to base.

Coincidentally, and I wish it was not the case, I'm listening to various special reports on fire activity, on CBC, as I scribe. I feel guilty as I've been attending the Folk Fest ever since Friday and have seen some wonderful, wonderful artists. Last day today and then I will drive back to Penticton so I'm crossing my fingers that the Coquihalla will remain open, as Brenda suggests it is, as of the writing of her message. Life has been a whirlwind ever since I left LA this past Monday so I owe countless friends thanks for their more than generous hospitality, along the way, going and coming, if not simply replies to the many messages I've not been able to keep up with! Folk Fest is a terrific festival but can become exhausting as first performances start at 10:00 am and finish at 11:00 pm. Yesterday morning I was up at 7:34 am after a pretty sound sleep. Ride to Horseshoe Bay, (71 km), with Doug and the Slugs, Carmanito Miranda, String Bean Bourne and Piston Man, on Friday morning, plus the walk to and from first afternoon/evening at the Folk Fest at Jericho, (about twenty minutes to half an hour), left me well rewarded but weary.


Left the site at around 8:00 pm Saturday evening as I had seen all of the acts I wanted to take in and hoped I'd be able to send a few messages before I conked out. Fortunately, for me, I was able to sit in the shade all day with simply marvellous views of the various stages. Today may well be a slightly different story as Stage 4 has no tree shade at all but sometimes one can sit in the shadow of some of the tents housing sound control and one for disabled access. Of course, I wear plenty of sunscreen, have a hat and long sleeves, etc., so think I'll be okay even if it is baking, although a few light showers are predicted for the morning.

Must away as I need to pack my knapsack and head out shortly. Going to be a tough time for next little while so our hearts go out to all the evacuees and those fighting such dangerous, destructive fires. Fondestos to you, Patrizzia II and our Favourite Grumpster. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Pics: Doug and The Slugs just below Lions Gate; Will Varley, (I want to see more of him.); C.R. Avery, (I didn't know him for his singing and playing and I was very impressed.); Rhiannon and her group were fabulous, fabuloso; Billy Bragg and Joe Henry, (Didn't know latter and am sorry that this was his last act at Fest.) La Santa Cecilia, from LA, an incredible group indeed. One of the few acts, I've seen over the years, that the audience refused to let leave the stage without an encore! On a telling Trump note, many of the performers from the US, when interacting with the audience, "claim" they intend to seeking political asylum or else threaten to defect!

Just checking to be sure you're back safe and sound! Hope the rest of your trip went well and was uneventful. Sounds like what's left of the month is going to be busy for you at Burns Street - have fun and *try* to stay out of trouble.
Patrizzia#2
 

Games photos of medal presentations! Hi all Rachael did 5 events at the Ontario Provincial Special Olympics Games. 5 events , 5 medals silver in 100m, silver in shot put, gold in 200m, gold in standing long jump and gold in javelin! Pat She must be very proud of her accomplishments. Give her a victory hug from me. Corinne Oh wow! The wins continued.... give her a high five from us:) xoxo great job It must have been those burgers she ate on her last day that fueled her up so well to go and literally sweep the competition!! Go Rach!!! At least we have one female athlete in the family! Way to Go!! George


I hope she took a big suitcase to carry them all home. You must be tired after the wedding and all the weekend activity. Smokey here today, fires in the area not under control yet. Even the cats don't want to go out. Take care, Corinne

Costco list! Get pure pumpkin if available! Hi, hope you had a great time a folk fest. Here is costco list: Toilet paper Butter 2 Milk Pizza shells Salmon wild Off to see movie with Judy Pratt tonight. Went to Bench 1775 with Judy and her daughter Vanessa for a few hours yesterday afternoon to see Sandy and her group perform. See you tomorrow afternoon. Serena Ryder is at the Cleland. Just heard that there is a fire near Lake Country. North of Kelowna. No smoke here today. Love Lady Dar/Mom

Hi Everyone, Let's do bridge on Tuesday. We are willing to host. How many of you can come? Cheers Corinne Phil and I are a no as leaving tomorrow for a camping/biking on KVR trip. We'll be back Wed or thurs so good for next week and can host then too - with all my junk food!! Have fun and see you soon Gill Great! I can play Judy Corinne, I am free ti play on Tuesday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment