Thursday 13 July 2017

Ragin' Hosts The Bayswater B&B Gang While Howlin' The Grand Slam Blues: Thursday, July 13th!

The man dies in all who keep silent in the face of tyranny. -Wole Soyinka, playwright, poet, Nobel laureate (b. 13 Jul 1934)


Hi Al and Colleen, Just looking at calendar now and week of August 21 or 28th looks good. Does that fit into your schedule? We had a great time in LA but glad to be home again. Smoke here seems to be easing off. Look forward to seeing you both, Love Corinne Hello Early Morning Cat Woman! I see from your reply to Big Al and Marilyn that you were up around 7:05 am! I assume your kittens had something to do with that! Soccer at 7!!!

For my part, up at 7:34 am, even before my more than hospitable hosts, if the usual sounds of movement from above are any indication. Fixed myself a pod java and then managed to figure out the bedside clock radio to be able to listen to Stephen Quinn on Radio One so am enjoying digitating while the garden sprinkler, outside my window, douses the impressive array of vegetables that are growing in the raised planters alongside the house. Loads of errands to run this morning before I head out for my ride. Will head out just after 9:00 am to park somewhere on Quebec to then walk to the Enrollment to have my Nexus card updated. Want to go to MEC afterwards and then to Minerva's for some appetizers for tonight.

Ragin' Bull is hosting dinner and bridge this evening, at his place. Originally,  Elaine, Ted and I were to head over there at 6:00 pm but Ted just informed me that Elaine had forgotten that Stephanie had invited them for dinner this evening. I'm going to try and see if The Penguin and Fast Eddy are free and interested in playing. If not, I'll just visit with Branko.

On other matters, had a funny message from Post Canada. I'm wondering if it has something to do with package from Berkeley or a scam. Did my shoes, etc., arrive? Also, please send me a list of anything you would like me pick up at Costco. Must away as MEC opens at 10:00 am so I'm hoping I'll be finished with Nexus by time store opens. Will be in touch again, later today. Hello to my favourite felines and much love to you. Darling! Cheers, Patrizzio!  
 


Hi Pat and Corinne, You're probably just arriving back from the big L.A. Wedding
for Alex. I can't wait to hear all about it. We'll see you soon at Leah and Masen's
Wedding. However, we thought that it would be nice to have a bridge weekend
with you at the cabin on or around the August 12th and 13th. If it suits for you to come for a couple of days between the 9th and 14th that would be great. Ruth


For my part, up at 7:34 am, week ago today, Thursday, July 13th, even before my more than hospitable hosts, if the usual sounds of movement from above are any indication. Fixed myself a pod java and then managed to figure out the bedside clock radio to be able to listen to Stephen Quinn on Radio One so am enjoying digitating while the garden sprinkler, outside my window, douses the impressive array of vegetables that are growing in the raised planters alongside the house. Loads of errands to run that morning before I headed out for my ride. Left house around 9:30 am to park somewhere on 6th and Alberta to then walk to the Enrollment Centre on Main, just north of 1st,to have my Nexus card updated. In and out in a meter of minutes, served by a very friendly, efficient receptionist. Have never, ever, in all my adult life, ever spent so little time dealing with any government bureaucracy so was on a high as I walked back to my car.

Then on to MEC to pick up some Nuun tablets, a bottle of chain oil, (having left mine in Berkeley!), and a lock to replace one I'd left on Sarge's handlebars when I was unloading my Trek. Forgot it was there when I drove to their place, later on, to return his bike and it obviously fell off at some point during the journey. Did look for it on Bayswater and then on 6th, close to where Keatings live but no sign so needed to replace it. Then back home to park and ready myself for my ride. Had decided I'd make my way out to UBC, along Spanish Banks as this was probably my favourite, basic ride, over the years that we'd lived at Harbour Terrace. Was very impressed with the upgrade to Point Grey Road, new tarmac, along with new curbs and sidewalks. Stretch between Waterloo and Alma is still be worked on but I assume it will be finished by the time we might be back in Vancovuer, this October, probably. 

At any rate, ride along Spanish Banks was lovely and even the Foreshore Hill was hardly much of an effort compared to mnay of my usual climbs back in Penticton so I patted myself on the back as I made my way towards campus. Once there, auto-pilot took over and I simply followed my nose, hitting Imperial first, after heading through Wesbrook Villag down to TRIUMF and then looping back along Marine to head east on 16th again. Did a quick run through Little Australia before taking University Blvd almost to campus. Turned off on Allison Road to ride past where Eric Vogt used to live. If I am correct, the original home had been demolished, replace with an ever larger, concrete structure, the mansion to be, still under construction. Then back to University Blvd, via Acadia to reconnect with Alma. 

By then I knew I'd logged the distance I wanted to give me my final goal, once home, so made for Marine and then took Chancellor, as opposed to Spansih Banks, to return to 4th. Not overly happy with my AVG but must admit that my legs felt a tad weary after the jaunt to Steveston te day before. Still very pleased to have had the chance to ride through and around campus, still more than a wonderful route adn one I never tire of. Cheers to Me, Myself and I!
 
Once back I stowed my Trek and then set off, on foot, first to the RBC on Broadway and Macdonaldf, or cold, hard cash and then to Minerva's for some appetizers for the night's dinner with Ragin'. Turned out Minerva's was closed for renovations, (I suspect it has also changed owners but need to verify this.), so headed for the Parthenon. Wasn't overly happy about this as the last time I was here I had not been impressed with the service. This time, however, an extremely freindly, helpful young woman was behind the deli counter and she helped me with my selections, suggesting some spicy olives, from Calabria, I'd not had before, as well as the cheaper Canadian sheep Feta which she said would pair better with salad as it would not overpower ingredients as might the stronger, imported Fetas. Even bumped into the two women, from Portland, I'd chatted with, briefly, on my way to Minerva's, [Shortly before I ran into String Bean Bourne and made plans for Friday's ride.] Over the course of our few minutes together one of them said she referred to Canada as "that civilization north of the US border", obviously referring to the Era of Trump! I accused them of stalking me and they said "Watch Out!" Back home to shower and change and I was ready for whatever the evening would present. Onward! Fight!! Cheers!!! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1852844144#.WWf7YQOhdgM.email

 

No comments:

Post a Comment