Saturday 29 July 2017

Going To The All Seasons Chapel SIngin'The Marriage Officiant Blues: Saturday, July 29th!

There was never a genius without a tincture of madness. -Aristotle, philosopher (384-322 BCE) 


Up at just after 8:00 am to find Lady Dar reading on the deck. I made her a cup of tea and brewed myself a small pot of java, using both the decaf and regulare pre-packs to give me a bit more strength for the road. I am planning to go for a fairly long ride, (distance to be determined once I'm on my way), but hope to do at least 71 km. Know the roads hereabouts, reasonably well, from past visits so looking forward to a bit more exploring as well.

By the time I'd managed to edit some of the snaps I'd taken the night before, and sent along a few messagios, it was close to 10:30 am. Then, I needed to suit and lube up so it was just after 11:00 am when I pushed my Trek out of the entrance-way to Quaaout Lodge and I was away. Started off by riding towards the point where The Squamoids have their lovely cabin but only went about one km in that direction before turning around to make for Squilax/Anglemont Rd. Just a quick run over the bridge over the narrows, which join Little Shuswap and Shuswap, and the Trans-Canada Hwy. Then a quick turnaround, once over the bridge, and back onto S/A Rd to ride towards Scotch Creek. Shoulders are not particularly wide for first five or six km and there is usually quite a bit of traffic, large pick-ups, on their own, or pulling huge campers or mile long boats, the odd dump-truck or two, and certainly many gargantuan RV's, so I always paid particular attention to rising the straight and narrow, as much as it was possible to do, until just after Roderick Haig-Brown Provincial Park, [I circled here, a number of times to get my water-bottle open as I didn't want to try this tricky manoeuvre with vehicles whizzing past, but inches away, at times!], where the shoulders widen quite nicely.

Ride, from then on, includes a number of gradual climbs, but nothing that even necessitates shifting out of highest gear, and I love the stretches which run around various bays, watching families picnicing on the lake-shore, kids splashing each other in the shallow water. Temperature was around 25º C but there was always a cooling breeze so I never felt the considerable heat. Just before Scotch Creek one encounters a narrow bridge and must sometimes have to wait, yielding to on-coming traffic if vehicles are there ahead of you. Bit of a line-up as I descended the small hill just before the bridge but by the time I was ready to cross, eastbound traffic had started to move so I didn't ahve to touch The Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Reader!

Short while later I was in Scotch Creek itself and knew, from previous junkets there, exactly what my route would be. Spent a very pleasant thirty or forty minutes criss-crossing the various streets which make up this tiny village, admiring some of the incredible log-cabin style mansions, and I mean mansions, adjacent to the Captain's Village Marina where Famiglia Toews winter their boat. By the time I was back on S/A Rd I had logged a little better than 42 km so I felt I was in pretty good shape to hit my 71 km goal by the time I was back. I planned to turn off on Holding Road, (roughly 12 km from SC), about 6 km from where I started out, and thought the round trip to Interfor's Adams Lake Lumber Division, the end line for me, was about 10 km. As it turned out it is slightly more than 10 km, one way!

At any rate, once on Holding, there is very, very little traffic and I was reminded of my rides on Green Mountain Road to Apex, although Holding is not nearly as much of a long, gradual, uphill climb as the former. At times I would catch glimpses of the Adams River below and noted the significant number of kayaks dotting its surface. Obviously, this is an extremely popular recreational activity, hereabouts, especially on this waterway, given its manageable rapids, at this time of year, I assume. In fact, just east of the second large concrete bridge on S/A Rd there is a short side road leading to a raft launch ramp into the Adams.

Close to the turn-off for the Adams Lake Ferry and the delightful general store, [Liquor and Video advertised!], I passed a number of houses and noticed the wonderful garden plots nearbye, about 6 feet below the right side of the road, the rows and rows of vegetables, lovingly tended, sending healthy growth skyward, many of the branches dripping with tomatoes and sweet peppers, from what I could see and tell. A short while later, I reached the rather impressive Interfor plant and I could smell the bark from all the logs collected there, both in the water and on the land. Huge piles of massive, massive trunks so it seems logging is still alive and well in these parts, although I don't know where these trees were harvested.  

Turned around here and then made my way back. Even though I was bucking the wind now, progress was far easier than before. Always surprises me that although one drops a goodly amount from the top of Holding to being fairly close to the water at Interfor, the return climb seems almost negligible. Why this should be so I have no idea whatsoever. I still shake my head when I think about it. At any rate, about halfway back, one passes the Roderick Haig-Brown Flume Trails Park and just a bit further along is Laokin Bear-Creek Rd. About half a km before latter what should I see but a gorgeous, fairly decent sized, black bear, crossing the road ahead of me! I rang my bell, furiously, when I first saw the creature, hoping the sound would make it scamper into the bush more quickly. In fact, the bear stopped to look right at me and I was just about to make a quick about-face when it ambled off, into the bush. My heart beating, I stood up on my pedals and "raced" past as quickly as I could! Guess I better stick to The Seawall! 

Once back on S/A Rd the traffic had died down so ride back to Little Shuswap Lake Rd was most pleasant and by the time I reached Quaaout Lodge I only needed to ride but another half km to beat my goal by 10 km! Couldn't have been happier with both the distance and the AVG so was pleased as punch, especially after my encounter with Ursus americanus, although I must admit that Regentibus Traderent Canadienses are probably more of a threat to cyclists! Just time enought o hop inthe shower and ready myself for wedding ceremony. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1883710349#.WX32HB3cST4.email

Hi Stretchoids, et al! Sorry to report that I have yet to start stretching, what with drive yesterday and then start of wedding festivities but do plan to do a few basics before going for my ride today! Started to run into smoke yesterday when we were near the top of The Connector and it worsened as we approached Kamloops. Anyway, we are very, very fortunate as it was almost completely clear at Little Shuswap and same today, so far. Lodge has a pool and a hot tub so I plan to use both when back from my ride to the amusement of the other guests as I stretch, brazenly nekkid! Lady Dar has already left to go lake swimming and then reading in the shade. What a life these Wedding Officiants lead! All the best for now. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Arlo, late July!
Hi dear friends, Just to let you know, we are home, after a rewarding but exhausting trip. We had a few lovely camping days before and after Calgary, but the rest was spent helping Bodil & Vince with everything they needed. Some of that time I was tucked away in Kananaskis without phone & internet to give Jos the chance to hands-on help Bodil, then I would drive in/out to help set up logistics, build shelves, assemble chairs, etc. 

It was an incredible experience to see Arlo change from a "baby elephant with too much skin", more comfortable in the womb than the outside world to a healthy, rosy and handsome looking baby boy with big eyes (see the photos attached)! He is gaining weight quickly. He still keeps Bodil awake all night, then when she has an hour to rest during the day he wakes her up again. All he wants if buckets of breast milk! All in good spirit.TMD I know, but being an Oma & Opa is exciting! Hope to see, hug you soon! your Aart & Jos 

Hello Newly Minted Grandparents! Thanks for the lovely, lovely snaps of Arlo. Sorry I will miss you on Monday's hike. I'm sure it will be a wonderful outing and I would dearly love to join you, but I simply have too, too much to do before the next Tsunami of Freeloaders washes over Burns Street, a week this coming Thursday! At any rate, look forward to seeing my Darling Josinta Tuesday evening and hope to see you both at some time in the not too, too distant future. 

If you are around this long weekend, perhaps we can arrange to have a drink. We think Chloë will be up to look at houses, (Though not confirmed as of this writing.), as we are to sign the necessary papers to put the Loft up for sale, when we see her in Vernon, on Sunday, at the home of her very close friends who just moved there, on way back from Little Shuswap where Lady Dar just performed the wedding ceremony for the eldest daughter, Leah, of our close friends, Ruthless and Ricardo, who lived in our basement suite, in house in Kits, for seven years!! [Whew! Are you out of breath too?] Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, Party time for both of us by the look of things. We've had lots of guests for Jenn and Sean's Canadian wedding reception. They married in June in London and wanted to have a gathering for the Canadian friends and relatives which took place last night at the UBC Golf Club. Friends and neighbors have been very helpful with accommodation for some of those from overseas and others from the US and outlying parts of BC. 

Did a bit of riding with 2 of Sylvia's cousins out to Jericho Beach and UBC to see the blue whale and the recently erected totem pole. Looking at the fireworks tonight from a friend's home at the top of the hill at 16th and Collingwood along with numerous relatives. Hope that you and Corinne are doing well. Ray

Hi Raymondo! Yes, indeed, party time for everyone it seems! Glad you were able to get in a bit of riding over course of the wedding festivities. [Congratulations to Jenny and Sean, of course.] I took a ride out to UBC the day after we went to Steveston and I happened to see the recently erected totem pole as well, the end of Main Mall, near Forestry Building, I take it. I assume you may have seen the one by the UBC Bookstore as it has been there for some time now. I've often admired the Blue Whale skeleton every time I've ridden past. What a creature! I bumped into Peter Bourne, on Broadway, after I was back from my outing to UBC. He invited me to join Lee and two other friends. He thought that ride would be to Seymour Demo Forest but turned out to be to HB. I was happy to do latter as time, (not to mention fitness!), was a bit of an issue with Folk Fest starting that afternoon.

At any rate, enjoyed a simply wonderful outing this past Saturday, morning and early afternoon, before wedding ceremony. [Account included, if interested.]  All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Steveston Peloton! Ragin' Bull pretending he is Ferdinand, smelling the flowers! Piston Man, String-Bean Bourne and mates, just below Lions Gate! Laura and son, Riley. Elaine and Ted in their new, to be, kitchen! Ragin' Bull over for bridge!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment