Monday 6 November 2017

Time for the Paradise Papers Tax Shelter Dodge to come to Burns Street: Monday, November 6th!

I don't think that combat has ever been written about truthfully; it has always been described in terms of bravery and cowardice. I won't even accept these words as terms of human reference any more. And anyway, hell, they don't even apply to what, in actual fact, modern warfare has become. -James Jones, novelist (6 Nov 1921-1977)

Cartoon: Hagen/Jantoo

Good Morning Patrick, I will process your cc info today. If you can come by between 1pm and 5pm that would be wonderful. Thank you again and chat soon, Sonya Hi Sonya! Thanks! I'll be there, after 1:00 pm. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Sounds like you are well on the way to getting ready for Christmas, Pat. Still hoping we might be able to travel to AB. So, I haven't got too much planned for here, other than rehab that is!! Did start on my Christmas cards though & have already addressed the first 40. Well, all of Frank's family are in the UK. I try to get all the international cards done first, plus remembering our 80+ friends who aren't on the net. Yes, I still like to send real snail mail cards!! Have found a few decs & will definitely put up the mini 'fake' tree we use in Yuma plus a few seasonal touches here & there. I'm still in fall mode. I guess that will change with the arrival of December which seems to be fast approaching. The arrival of the early snowfall here last week did make me think I should be doing more. Cheers! Maggie Hi Christmas Card Woman! Bravo! I applaud you, most heartily!!! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Elaine and Ragin' Bull! Ragin' is on for tomorrow so I will ask him to bring either his fabulous burgers or his even more delectable chicken satay. I'll contribute the salad and probably the spuds for Ragin's super-duper garlic mashed potatoes, or other vegetable, depending on the ever-mercurial chef's disposition! I assume gathering time somewhere around 5:00 - 6:00 pm, if that suits everyone. I'm off to collect more firewood at Spiller Road, stopping at Roche Winery, en route, for their first release, so I must away. I'll send out another message, once back if we need to make any adjustments to time/menu, etc. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrizzio, The chicken dish-that-I-spell-incorrectly is usually served over rice, but I can do garlic mashed potatoes in lieu of.  In that case I will pick up the spuds myself - I trust no one! Let’s touch bases during the day.  I will do the chicken here, and probably the spuds, so a warm-up // microwave will be all that is needed.  But let’s talk details. Branko Hi Ragin' Satay and Elaine! The Bull has decided upon chicken with garlic mashed, unless you and Theodorakis would rather rice. Let us know your preference and he'll plan accordingly. I was going to concoct a Greek salad, if that suits everyone. Again, let me know if you Bayswater Upper Crusts would like something else, Waldorf, per esempio! [All sounds great to us. Will make a veggie & dessert. Thx Elaine]

Ragin', I'll pop by once I hit town, en route to Il Palazzo di Keating, and we can chat about all and sundry. The Sisterhood have decided that they can live with the current configuration of their new computers so I'll only need you to berate me about mine! You never mentioned anything about the connections on the monitor so I'll bring it along, unless you tell me otherwise. I plan to leave around 9:00 am so you will need to have a java earlier than is your usual wont if you are to reach me before I hit the road.

Must away as I feel a tad sleepy. Spent a couple of hours on Spiller Road, muling up about ten wheelbarrows worth of firewood. Path was covered with about six inches of snow so even though I "wore" a rut into it, after one or two runs, the purchase, even with my trusty hiking boots, was difficult, especially on any of the two or three steeper grades. However, I overcame the "traction" problem by pulling the wheelbarrow, walking backwards. I was able to jerk it a few feet, at a time, to get past any slippery spots, and found that although it was slower than when path was but earth and grass, this method was actually easier on my aging frame. Made a decent dent in the stack remaining so hope to make another visit this coming weekend, unless there is more snow by then.


Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. Thanks to one and all, for both hosting and contributing food. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Spiller Road Logging Company! Gorgeous day when I arrived, close to 3:00 pm; wheelbarrow track; left end of row, behind stumps, was what I was working on; end of the shift, without flash and then with flash, as light was fading just after 5:00 pm, with Daylight Saving! Much easier climb without barrow! Just caught the last of the sunset!

Hi Patrice, Sorry for the late reply but have been thinking about your bike trip and as much as I would like to join you I don't think it is feasible with the short timeline to pay as we just put a deposit on a trip to Mexico for next year and along with chomping quite heavily on the old credit line with the cabin reno I think I had better stand down. It does sound fantastic however and if circumstances change in the next while..ie. lotto or inheritance I would gladly join you!. Just wanted to send a quick note regarding that and will catch up again soon.


Hi Stanchion Man and Marilyn! Thanks for letting me know about bike ride. I thought it might be a long-shot but perhaps another time. As I think you know, I'm heading in to Vancouver tomorrow. I had hoped to see Champagne Charlie and was going to swing by hospice once I hit town but we had word today that he died on Monday. Glad we were able to see him when at VWF. Live every day, I guess is the lesson. Lady Dar is already abed, smothered in cats! Cheers, Patrizzio! Very beautiful snow pics Poppa!! Thank you!! Beautiful pics Pat - had no idea there would be so much snow at this time of year! Xx Hi Penelopé! Glad you enjoyed early snow! Funnily enough, both you and Ayn said almost the same thing. Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply but I was away in Vancouver when I received your last message and don't seem to have stopped ever since! Stayed with Elaine and Ted and had a wonderful visit with them. Hope you and Madcap can come to our Open House! Fondestos and Cheers to you, Duhlink. Patrizzio!


 
Thank you for the very colourful and interesting letter Patrick You write with such ease and fluency...like a story teller poet!! Well I can tell you are going to be a very busy traveler in the next while So good you can still do the cycling and visit friends as you do so You sure keep Lady Dar amused I'm sure ...I can't think of that many men to be have such a busy agenda!!...such fun I hope she is feeling well again!,...I think Art & Jos are away to Australia..or New Zealand
I enjoyed my hike with them Thanksgiving day Unfortunately I missed the hiking groups gathering to celebrate Jud & Louise's wedding Hope they have many years together 


MONDAY HIKE November 6, 2017Photos from gorgeous hike. Dorothy must have wanted to send them to Aart and Jos, as they were all upside down!

I will be going to Costa Rica for the 1 st 2 weeks of December...a 9 day G adventure tour I could use a good hike prior to get me in form for this tour
I will have to settle chasing after 2 grandchildren as my get fit program😂
P.S ...glad to hear you are a fan of Chris Hedges Now I m watching a 7 episode series of the Sacred Plant...The wonders of cannabis sativa and how and why all the knowledge and research has been denied from the public for 80 years I could share some of the episodes ..still have to watch episode 4 I will forward it to you Episode 2 was so informative!! Take care and continue enjoying this beautiful world we live in Elle🙏😎The Sacred Plant in case you are interested Elle 🙏


Hi Murielle! Appreciate your kind comments on my writing but I think you are too, too generous. I do wish I had a richer, deeper style and wider vocabulary but I plug away. Anyway, thank you. Thanks, as well, for forwarding links to Sacred Plant. Sounds fascinating and I've made note of it as I simply don't have the time, at the moment to watch series.I trust it might be available, somewhere/somehow. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Perhaps you can send along any suggestions you might have for travel in Costa Rica, once you've been. (Chasing grandchildren is probably harder than any hike!!!) Would certainly be much appreciated. Yes, Josinta and Aarturo are in Australia. I could be wrong but I don't think they are going to NZ as well. Unfortunately, I missed breakfast with Louise and Jud. I thought, for some reason, it was two days later!
 
Patrick! I am planning to play Bridge on Weds night with Judy et al. Thank you for organizing the group. I hope Corinne isn’t feeling under the weather for too long. We had a fun trip to Van to watch the Argos play. The right football team won👍 I pick up my copy if the Sellout on Thursday from the Naramata library. Looking forward to reading it. I have the Jian Didion dic on my Netflix watchlist. With your recommendation I’ll move it up the list😊 At the moment I am watching a TV show on Netflix...”Peaky Blinders”. I am really enjoying it. Stay warm. Pam

Patrick and Corinne, We stayed at the Conchal Hotel in Brasilito (see link below) when we visited Costa Rica in 2012. It is a small hotel with 9 rooms surrounding a pool. At the time we were there it was run by a very nice younger couple. She was from Argentina and he was British. The food in the dining room (open air, upstairs) was delicious. The hotel was just a short walk (down a road) to the beach. Check it out at the link below: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g1013693-d626112-Reviews-Conchal_Hotel-Brasilito_Province_of_Guanacaste.html


Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pics! And now I will share from Barbados!!! Murray and me. Hi Barbados Girl! What a life you lead! Great snapolas! Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply but I was away in Vancouver when I received your last message and don't seem to have stopped ever since! Hope you and Murray can come to our Open House! Fondestos and Cheers to you Sharon, Patrizzio!


Hi Pamela, et al! Trust everyone is well. Unfortunately, Lady Dar seems to have suffered a relapse so will bow out of bridge on Wednesday since there will be four without her. She is, however, obviously, sorry that she won't be joining you, especially since I won't be present! Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Pamela, thanks muchly for link to hotel. If possible, at some point, we'd like to to chat a bit about Costa Rica. Glad Argos won and contributed to putting Lions out of their misery. Have to ask Chloë about Peaky Blinders as she mentioned something about it. I'm taking Tatiana, by Martin Cruz Smth, with my as Lady Dar hasn't finished The Sellout yet. Thanks again for info on CR.

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us Corinne. I was looking forward to s visit! Once again Patrick I enjoyed your dialogue and pics. What a winter wonderland! Drive safely and enjoy your visit. I hope visit to dermatologist goes well. Hopefully see you both soon😘 Judy Xo

Hi Old Farts, Great hike last week into the South Slope!  We made it before Thursday night’s big snow. This week will feature snowshoeing!!! The plan is to:

-meet at Home hardware north parking lot in Penticton at 0900 (0840 at IGA parking lot in Summerland).  Yes, the time is correct.  Have an extra sleep!

-carpool and head for the upper parking lot at Apex -snowshoe and explore Mount Riordan -return for refreshments and debriefing.



A couple of reminders: -Check your snowshoes and be sure that they are in working order.  There is nothing quite like snowshoe problems on the first chilly outing. -Make sure that you have suitable baskets on your poles. -Dress warmly, and in layers. I (that is Jim) am not certain yet whether I will be able to join in.  So, Rick will be leading the troops.  So, if you are intending to participate, send Rick a brief email so that he will have a sense of numbers. Cheers, Jim


Dear Pat & Corrine Sadly, Charlie peacefully passed away in the morning of Nov 6th. Do know, your support and friendships over these last many years meant a lot to Charlie and continues to be very important to me. I will be in touch very shortly for an over the phone toast and some good conversation. Much love and hugs, Susan 


Looks like winter! Be careful out there Pat...no falling on your new hips (or was it knees?)...either way, BE CAREFUL. Thank you for letting me know about Charlie...so very very sad. He around the age that my dad was when he died...way to young. And yes, live every moment to the fullest! Enjoy your trip to the city. I am sorry to miss you this time around, but hopefully on your next visit, I will be able to partake in a rowdy bridge game and maybe even host it! However, this week has not started well...work is a bit crazy and I have patients and medical staff complaining...arg! I'm taking Friday off this week and so am looking forward to a nice long long weekend. Safe travels. Hugs, Janet
Hi Corinne and Patrick, I have just spoken to Andre and it is still our intention to drive up to the Okanagan on Friday 10th November. I hope it is still convenient for us to come and stay with you all for the weekend - if not, please say so. I would imagine we would arrive in the afternoon. Perhaps you could let me know when would be a convenient time since I know only too well how busy your schedules are. Looking forward to seeing you both and catching up with all your news. Hard to believe it is a year ago we last met up - how time flies the older we get.

I have just returned from Brussels and now have to unpack and start packing for Canada - never a dull moment. Not sure I will even have a chance to have a glass of wine this evening but no doubt we will make up for it once we are together! Much love, Rosemary XXX
Hi Rosemary, Nov. 10th is great. We look forward to seeing you both. Hope your flight is relaxing. Hugs Corinne
Will look later; Brent and Krista are here, and Peter & Wendy are due for dinner in a few minutes. Simmered lamb with basmati and cauliflower after salad.We had some excellent Patagonian rose earlier. We are big Chris Hedges fans.
The state of our nation & the world are utterly depressing. Cactus Go Chris!! We had not seen this, so thanks for sending. Powerful and frightening. We continue to soldier on as best we can, and pray daily for the safety and surety of Mueller and the investigation of those involved in the Russian cabal. But alas all that is only the beginning of the major changes needed. Save some closet space up there for us should exile be necessary! Nancy


Hi Chris Hedges Fan Club Members! Glad you appreciated the clip. I must say that I have been taken with him ever since I heard him interviewed on CBC a few years ago. Hard not to see anything but through the political lens he uses to analyze the political landscapes he casts his critically perceptive eye upon. What articulate, incisive dissections, biting, condemnatory mini-essays which harken back to earlier eras when tweets and twitterings were but bird calls rather than the dangerous dribblings of a toxic, infinitely circumscribed mind, at best, malignant, megalomaniacal, neo-fascistic outpourings of a modern monster/beast, slouching towards Pyongyang, at worst. Probably both and everything in between! Hope you, Donna Florida, and Cactus can come to our Open House! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment