Saturday 4 November 2017

Winter Market Christmas Craft Fair Blues: Saturday, November 4th!

A nation, like a tree, does not thrive well till it is engrafted with a foreign stock. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)


Hi, all, I have some of my abstract pictures hanging at the Jericho Arts Centre until November 26 during the run of the play 'Taken at Midnight' http://www.jerichoartscentre.com/ . They are a subset of the portfolio at https://lynncopeland.smugmug.com/Abstracts/. Unfortunately, they can only be seen if you go to the play, BUT I have two free tix to the first person who responds; they need to be used by November 12. All best. Please let me know if you want to be removed from this list...Lynn Hi Lynn! Sorry we didn't connect at VWF. Only saw Joan and Paul, very briefly, at the Opening Reception. Enjoyed ourselves immensely. Back home we've been busy, Lady Dar involved with a number of Grandmothers For Africa fund raisers, me with hauling firewood. 

I'm back into Vancouver for a medical appointment next Wednesday. Whirlwind tour so I won't be able to see your exhibition. Certainly did enjoy your photographs, on-line, immensely. Must say I am very taken with them and am sorry not to be able see them on display. Find that since they are based on natural forms, (at least it seems/appears to me that they are), they are doubly compelling. Much "abstract" work seems "unhinged" to me, too, too removed from any point of reference I am able to discern. Your strikingly vibrant colours and sinuous curves capture the imagination, almost effortlessly. Bravo indeed!  All the best. I trust our paths will cross in the not too, too distant future. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi everyone, thought I would pass on this sad news about Susan Mathew. Nadine.
 
On a gloriously warm day in October our beloved mother gracefully passed away in peace. We shared her last days together, honoured to mark the end of a remarkable life. We love you Ma, our little energizer bunny.

Susan Mathew (nee Joseph) is survived by daughters Liz (Adam), Mariam (Mathew), Suleka, and granddaughters Alysha, Nikki, and Maddy. She leaves behind sister Elizabeth Joseph, CGA (MacKenzie, BC), brothers Dr Thomas Joseph, (Bengaluru, India), and Dr Abraham Joseph (Vellore, India) and many close family members around the world.

Visitation at Richmond Funeral Home 8420 Cambie Road, Richmond, BC on Friday, November 10 from 7-9pm. Funeral service will be held on Saturday, November 11 at 2pm at St. Philip’s Anglican Church 3737 West 27th Ave, Vancouver, BC. Reception to follow. In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Alzheimer Society would be warmly welcomed. “Count your blessings, count them one by one”.


Hi Patrick Just wanted to let you know about Susan Mathew. I remember that her daughter came and worked with us in the Education Library. Sadly I will not be able to attend the service Hope you are well. Cheers for now  Jo-Anne Hi Jo-Anne! Trust you are well. I did know about Susan Andrews and do remember her daughter, as well. UBC Library Emeritii Association is very good about keeping those of us, now retired, informed, about such things. Soon, my Darling, you will be on the list! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Do you remember this hike? Hi Patrizio, Found this as I was organizing my pictures Not sure if you have many of yourself! Take care Buona Sera, Signora Luigi! How lovely to hear from you! I've just finished the dishes and have cleaned up the kitchen and am relaxing, near the fire, sipping a 14 year old Scapa, Orkney, 40%, while Chloë and her very close friend, Katie, (down for the night, from Vernon), are watching some silly TV program in the Rumpus Room. Sad to report, Lady Dar started feeling poorly at the Christmas Fair today, during her shift at the Grandmothers For Africa booth, so almost immediately after dinner she went to bed and is snoring softly now so I trust she'll sleep through the night!


Otherwise, we had a most enjoyable day, hitting the Shatford for the first Winter Market. Quite small but we bumped into many friends and vendors we've come to know so it was fun. Bought two heads of lettuce, (last of season and simply delish as we had one in dinner salad!), and some radishes, with a telling kick, so I was pleased as I like a bit of heat. Then on to The Blue Church for their Christmas Fair. Lady Dar bought some lovely wooden tree ornaments for our grandsons in LA. [We will stay here for Christmas, to be with Chloë, and then drive to Tinsel Town for New Year's with Ayn and Los Horridos/Lost Burritos, aka, our grandsons! Alejandro, youngest, is to graduate from the LA Fire Department Academy on January 6th, (Proud Nana bought him a fire-truck tree ornament!), so we'd like to attend ceremony. 
 
Next day we will fly to Costa Rico for a month. Have you been there? If so, any suggestions? Once back, intend to drive to Palm Desert, Sun City and then Dallas, to stay with good friends along the way. Then, all going well, north to Manitoba, (Hope to make a side-trip to taste bourbon in Kentucky and/or Tennessee but have yet to think that far ahead!), to collect Lady Dar's Mom, Rosie-the-Riveter, in Winnipeg and drive her back to Penticton for a month or so. At least that is the plan! Looks like no snow-shoeing for me this coming season. 


On to the Trade and Convention Centre to take in Christmas Fair. Had loads of fun, strolling around and even managed to buy a few stocking stuffers. Bumped into Marian Dunn who is also a GFA volunteer. Chloë and Katie arrived shortly before I left and they agreed to collect Lady Dar after her shift was over. I returned home and once changed, started to cut up most of the firewood that I had picked up earlier in the week, from the neighbour of a friend of Eduardo's, (He of the long white beard!), who offered me three carloads last year. Depending on the weather, I hope to return to Spiller to collect a couple more carloads of firewood from Robson's place. In fact, I've chatted with Jack Rabbit Slims twice, this past week, as we are trying to stitch together a guided bike tour, in Poland, at the end of May.



Well, must away but before I go, I think the snap was taken last Easter Monday, (Or the year before! Memory, wherefore art thou gone?), when group met at Tinhorn Creek and went on some of the Golden Trail. The shot was taken in front of the wall of part of the Stamp Mill structure, if I remember correctly. Anyway, thanks muchly for sending it along. I'm quite enjoying The Sellout. I think, at least as far as I've read, it is more than a necessary tale, given the current state of affairs, not only of the US, but also in the world. 
 
We happened to watch a riveting documentary on Joan Didion, Friday night, The Centre Will Not Hold, and I wonder if her keen, critically insightful, incisively discomforting observations of the 60's are not just as prescient for the here and now, with Trump and Weinstein and the latest government report on Harassment and sexual violence in the workplace! And here I thought, nay, believed, that life would be nothing but smooth sailing once we moved to Penticton! Say it ain't so, Luigi! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Lady Dar and volunteers at GFA booth; Lady Dar with Leigh from Balsamic Bliss; Stephano with his cheese. His wife, Brigitte, is the Administrator at the PAG; Chloë, with Duke, and Katie, in the Rumpus Room!

Hi OF hikers This Monday Uncle Martin is leading a hike around and over Conkle Mtn. Approximately 3 hours estimated time, depending on conditions, but the forecast for Monday is reasonably good. Meet to carpool at HH Penticton at 0840 and IGA Summerland at 0900. I hope by then we will have adjusted to this weekend’s TIME CHANGE. See you then. Cheers Tony

A wee expensive dram indeed!🥃cheers!https://globalnews.ca/news/3844089/32k-bottle-of-whiskey-sold-at-b-c-liquor-store-premium-spirit-sale/ Colin
Hi Colin! Trust you are well! I trust you note was to invite me to taste the 32K bottle of malt you recently acquired! Life here is busy but unceasingly rewarding. Cheers, Patrizzio!



No comments:

Post a Comment