Thursday 2 November 2017

Upper Bench Apple Pickin' Blues: Thursday, November 2nd!

We have probed the earth, excavated it, burned it, ripped things from it, buried things in it, chopped down its forests, leveled its hills, muddied its waters, and dirtied its air. That does not fit my definition of a good tenant. If we were here on a month-to-month basis, we would have been evicted long ago. -Rose Bird, Chief Justice of California Supreme Court (2 Nov 1936-1999)



Hi Katarina! Trust you are well. I haven't been in touch earlier as I am/was part of the group involving Carol Hoenisch, who, as I understand, has been in contact with you. Yesterday, another friend, Mary Lee, also interested in tour, let me know that, for various reasons, the group of seven, from Penticton, (number interested at that point), has now dwindled, considerably. I don't know if Carol has been in touch since these developments became apparent but I wanted to approach you directly, anyway, as I am still interested in Poland but am not sure what the options might be, given that this group seems to have disintegrated. Will you still be offering this tour, as originally outlined in your message to Carol, for others who might be so inclined. Could I, and perhaps another couple, (Gill and Phil Robson), join such a group?

For their part, G/P, prefer to book their own accommodation so I don't know how you feel about that. On this matter, I'm easy either way, to have you book or book myself, following some suggestions you might have. Perhaps the most important question I have is whether we would carry all of our luggage in panniers or would there be a vehicle to ferry bags from one stop to next. For my part,
I still have a bike in France and will fly to Europe, well in advance, to collect it and make my way to Cracow where tour, if it goes ahead, is to start. Since I plan to be in Europe for a few months, I will have clothing for such a stay but would prefer, obviously, not to carry the full compliment, with me, if panniers are only means of transport between overnight stops. I'm happy to leave the bulk of my possessions with friends and travel with light-weight cycling gear, and a few changes of clothes, toiletries, etc., for bike trip itself so am pretty flexible on this matter. 

Furthermore, I'm also still interested in a bike trip in Slovakia
so would appreciate hearing from you about the possibility of such a tour. Depending on what dates are available I would adjust the rest of my time in Europe accordingly. I a
lso understand that if full amount is paid by the end of November there is an additional 10% discount. I will pay full amount(s) by this deadline, if one or both tours can be arranged. Again, I am able to travel from April though June, and perhaps July. At any rate, please let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Well, nights are indeed brutal!! It takes me a while to find a comfie position. When I got my surgery date, much earlier than expected, I figured I should read the handbook which the Surgeon gave me at the end of May. I had glanced at it before but not well. I made the mistake of sharing this info with Frank. Oh well, I haven't had a glass of wine since Monday evening. Lol, I'm almost 3 days sober!👏��😜 & I'll be fine!!!! It is difficult though to enjoy a gourmet meal without wine!! I'm hoping it might make a difference to my waistline & area which has increased since I couldn't participate in active living. The foot problem, collapsed falling arch has caused the ankle pain which keeps me from long walks, etc. I'm using a cane for stairs, curbs & unstable ground. I do have some good days.

Thx for the update on your dtrs. Our middle, dtr, might be looking? Stephanie will be 40 next May & has recently joined a group of 21 women who are working towards losing the largest % of body fat!! Steph has always struggled with her weight. She is a very curvaceous, beautiful woman. Hopefully, she's being super cautious about seeking out a future partner. Her boys are Elijah, 13 & Griffin, 4 1/2. Griffin's Dad, Adam, is in the picture in that he gets Griff Tues overnight from & back to Daycare Wed am, as well as one weekend a month. She & Adam found each other online. He suffers from bouts of depression & paranoia when he goes off his meds. They were together 4 1/2 years. I'm not sure he'd be ready for Steph to have a beau since he'd like to be back in the picture. It is a huge worry for her Dad & I!

Steph is a Master Hair Stylist & owns her own Salon, 'Behind the Purple Door'!! She leases space in a house called 'Streakers' on 106th St, a block off the very trendy Whyte Ave in the University area. Stephanie is very entrepreneurial. She is one of the top 10 reps for a relatively new & highly successful skincare line, Rodan & Fields, rivalling Estée Lauder. As well, she shows the works of relatively unknown artists/photographers in her Salon, rotating the art about every 4 months. We are so proud of the strong woman she's become!!👍��👏��

Thank you for the suggestion of a locale in Mx. Frank is an obsessed Pickleball player. That would factor into our choice. I like Zumba, line dancing & dancing in general. I hate the gym, although I have a personal trainer helping me get stronger for surgery. Cheers!!�� Maggie


Hi Steel Magnolia! Didn't realize you were in such constant agony. I suffered from something like you describe but it was transferred pain to my right knee. I would wake in the middle of each night, unable, as you describe, to find a comfortable position. I could not believe that the moment the anaesthetic wore off and I could feel my legs again, I never experienced this terrible discomfort again. I do hope that your hip pain will be completely alleviated after you undergo the hip replacement. Your foot problem must be very frustrating, as well, obviously preventing you from partaking in many activities you enjoy.

Don't think parents ever really stop worrying about their children. Always seems to be something as life can be difficult, very difficult, as I'm sure I need not tell you. Still, we do our best to help and trust that they will somehow find their own way to satisfaction and an enjoyable, happy life, in terms of what they want for themselves. Usually, never easy, of course.

There were a few flakes when Chloë came home after work, around 6:00 pm. Both Etta and Duke were quite wet when they had come inside, half an hour earlier. Around 9:00 pm Lady Dar was back from Oasis, United Church she attends. She went to a community recycling meeting there and came in shivering as it was almost blizzard-like by then. According to our neighbour, out clearing snow from her car, this is not the weather she is used to. Last year it snowed in early December and that was atypical as well. Please tell Trump that climate change is real! Hope this early snowfall won't make driving, even locally, too difficult or treacherous tomorrow. Chloë had snow tires put on her car last Friday, as did we, the day before, so we should be fine. I'll probably need them next week as I'm back into Vancouver for a medical appointment this coming  Wednesday. Must away as now that Lady Dar is back she would like to watch an episode of Wolf Hall we have recorded. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Cheeky, plump California Quail on top of our neighbour's garage, across back lane, and then in lane itself, when I came home from picking apples. Back patio and front yard this evening. Jasper, lovely pooch from next door, came to say hello, while neighbour, Amanda, was cleaning her windshield, when I was taking snaps. Oh wow, u got snow too. Snowed all day today. Was 3C about 1:45! Seems early for snow but then seems strange to get snow here at all. Apparently lots of snow & cold last winter. Same expected this winter. Brrr!!
Hi Shivering in Your Boots Goil! With snowflakes falling, we will be starting to prepare for Christmas! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Sir James and Lady Patrizzia! What a lovely surprise to hear your voice, Sir James. Thanks for calling as it was terrific to catch-up. Today I was planning to collect more firewood from Spiller when Chloë called to say that there was an opportunity to pick apples, if I wanted to do so. Through work she met a chap, Bill Sliva, who owns a large number of acres planted with fruit trees: cherry, peach and apple. His orchards are quite close to where we live, across Upper Bench Road, not far from two of our favourite wineries, Roche, (Owner, Dylan Roche used to be the wine-maker at Intersection Winery, near Oliver, about an hour south of us. Owner, Bruce Schmidt, is married to Ginnette Bertrand, Andy Sredzki's first wife! Her paintings hang on the Tasting Room walls so perhaps your water-colours could join them instead of being shown at Tintagel!), and Upper Bench Winery and Creamery, (Shana, wife of wine-maker, Gavin, makes fabulous cheese!), so we'll be sure to take you there when you next visit. You'll need to stay for two months as there are so many wineries!!!

At any rate, Bill is also from Winnipeg so we had a grand time chatting about city and environs, as he knows Beausejour and Falcon Lake quite well. Together we picked a wheel barrow full of Gala apples, most within reach, from the ground. Towards the end, I used a ladder to reach some beauties higher up. There are about four deer on his property that have remained on his fenced acreage for past two or three month. They don't leave even when he leaves the gate open. Bill even puts out buckets of water for them.
They are fatter and sleeker than most as there is plenty of grass and fruit on the ground. The two bucks are making a mess out of some of his trees, with their racks, but he still doesn't want anyone to shoot them. One of the does was eyeing, from the far end of the apple orchard, us as we made our way down the rows of trees. 

Must away as I'm to make a salad for dinner, once Lady Dar is back from Oasis, church she attends. She is going to a community recycling meeting there.  Cheers to you, Sir James, and Lady Patrizzia! Fondestos from Chloë to you both, and from Lady Dar, in absentia! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Picking apples with Bill! Lady Dar's MarriageMobile in last snap! 

Hello Bridge Folk, Near and Far! Thanks to Olga Polga and Naramata Woman for coming over yesterday evening. [I bet you are glad it wasn't tonight, with the "blizzard" to contend with! Thanks as well, Spamela, for the lovely bottle of dessert wine. Since we didn't open it, I'll save it for another bridge gathering. Speaking of which, Lady Dar can play any night, next week, except Monday evening. I can only play on Thursday or Friday as I'll be back in Vancouver from Tuesday to Thursday, returning that afternoon. Let me know who might be interested and when and I'll try to set something up, whether I can play or not. All the best, to those readying their snowshoes or to those already in or going to sunnier climes. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Pics: Bridge Babes last night! Drinking rum! No bridge prizes as Rolly Polly and Spam ate most of our leftover Halloween candy! Past Lady Dar's bedtime! Tonight: Let is snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!  
 
Hi Patrice, Thanks for the Halloween greetings! Very glad you could join us for the wonderful visit on such a gorgeous day. Quite a contrast as I sit in Colleens car on a very rainy Thursday morning waiting for her to finish teaching her choose to move class at Century House in New Westminster. I dropped her off and continued on to Surrey to look at some Freezer panels to construct a make shift shop addition and arrived back here about 20 minutes before she finishes. Of course it took me 19 minutes to read your email so will be replying in several sessions.

Congratulations on your anniversary! that is quite a milestone and I can picture you guys from the photos I have seen as this wild young adventurous couple embarking on your wonderful life together. So glad we met you both a long the way and still with a great lust for life and adventure intact!.
 

I love the fact that you could meet a couple new people and have them over for drinks within hours lol. what a whirlwind new friendship :). Glad you are getting your wood stocked up for winter and enjoying the process as well. So nice to have a wood burning fireplace to get cozy by. We have decided to put off installing a new one in the new cabin as it just got too late in the year and will opt for one of those plug in units to give a bit of heat and ambience. Must away myself as need to do some design work for Lemony Snicketts as well as doing a sketch of this addition. Take care for now and talk soon. xoxo Al

Hi Busy, Busy Folk! Thanks again for delish brunch. Didn't realize you were such a Speed Reader, Stanchion Man!con! Will have to make my missives even longer otherwise you'll lose interest!! Be pleased that you are dealing with rain as we've had our first snowfall, started earlier this evening. Really a whirlwind trip so probably won't be able to connect, even if you are free, unfortunately.
Fondestos from Chloë and Lady Dar, both abed, already. Lady Dar has her volunteer shift at PGH tomorrow, from 8 am to noon and then is to be interviewed, at 2:00 pm, by The Penticton Herald, about Caroling for a Cause, the GFA fund-raising project she has spearheaded. All the best to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!







No comments:

Post a Comment