Thursday 16 November 2017

PAG Kitchen Sink Loving Vincent Starry Night Blues: Thursday, November 16th!

One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised. -Chinua Achebe, writer and professor (16 Nov 1930-2013)


Loving Vincent is a 2017 biographical animated drama film about the life of painter Vincent van Gogh, and in particular, the circumstances of his death. It is the first fully painted animated feature film.

Hello friends and friends of my friends, I am back with another bicycling trip in summer 2018. Our destination will be Moravia, the greatest bicycling destination of the Czech Republic. Moravia (May 13 – May 26, 2018) Region of famous wine, chateaux and friendly people. Comfortable bicycling along the rivers and in wavy landscape.

At home we say "Better than to hear hundred times is to see once". So please, see the videos which links I am sharing with you. They are from the places we are going to visit – Brno, Znojmo, Mikulov, Lednice-Valtice chateaux complex, Hodonin. The trip is based on staying in 4 hotels during two weeks. We will be bicycling between the towns where the hotels are plus doing daily trips from there. Youtube videos: Mikulovsko – The South Moravian Region – great video about one of the destinations we will bicycle in. You must see this one! 

https://youtu.be/KQtXt4SSn8Y

South Moravia, Lednice–Valtice area – about Lednice-Valtice chateaux complex: https://youtu.be/s_Uf0keZs0Y

South Moravia – amateur video about food, wine and chateaux. https://youtu.be/abIAZmjg0-k

South Moravia – amateur video about wine cellars and vineyards. https://youtu.be/T-xdjcL2hK0

Castles and Chateaux of South Moravia – nice views of the castles in the area. https://youtu.be/iNycN74c6F8

This is the first information about the trip. In a short time I will come with more details. For those who can have holiday only in summer I can offer one more date July 2 – July 15, 2018. Katarina 


Hi again, Katarina! Trust all is well with you. Thanks for the latest information on Moravia. Wonderful news indeed! I'm keen to participate in the bicycling trip in Moravia, the Czech Republic, between May 13 – May 26, [Please consider me "confirmed",], before Poland, May 28 - June 10. Is it possible to take the train from Brno, at the end of trip in Moravia, to Krakow to be there in time for start of trip in Poland? Please advise. Any suggestions much appreciated. 

As well, is cost for trip in Poland same as what is listed in outline? What about Moravia?  Must away, for now, as I want to go for a ride while the sun is still shining. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, doing the downward facing feline, [Etta and Duke, our two cats, insisted she not perform Downward Facing Dog!], at yoga. All the best, Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Kelownites! Just a quick note to say how much we enjoyed your visit. Trust all is well, wherever you are. Managed to go for two rides, on Monday, shortly after you left, and then again on Tuesday. Yesterday was pretty wet so I took a rest. One of the things I did was book my flight to Europe, ($946.73, AC), from Vancouver to Paris on April 16th, returning from Paris on July 10th, just in time for Folk Fest in Vancouver!

Furthermore, I'm hoping to participate in another bicycling trip in Moravia, the Czech Republic, between May 13 – May 26, before Poland, May 28 - June 10. This being the case I will have about a month before I need to be in Brno, I assume, although, at this point, I don't actually know where tour is to start. Looking at the map, I think I'd like to spend some time in Chabeuill, if possible, and then make my way to Berne, Zurich, Vienna, Prague, Bratislava and then Brno. Think train is best option for these legs but will seek advice from Katerina. Have yet to figure out if I have time for a junket to Denmark and/or Norway but will see once I have a better sense of earlier travel and length of stops.

If you could remind me of the dates you will be in Chabeuill that will help me concretize my itinerary. With respect to the bike itself, I'd appreciate it if you could find out about a general tune-up, (brakes, tires/inner tubes, chain, etc.), and what that might cost. I've taken a quick look at pannier racks, online, but will do a bit more investigating, both at MEC, probably in Kelowna, when next there, as well as talking to some of the chaps I know here at Freedom Bikes in town.
Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Some of the snaps taken over the course of your visit as well as a few of Paul and Kimberley.


We had tickets to the The Kitchen Stove Series at 4:00 pm today so I knew I would need to be back, if I was to go for a ride, by 3:00 pm, or else face the considerable wrath of Lady Dar. Not wishing to feel the lash of her acerbic tongue I suited up and headed out just after 12:00 pm. Wind velocity was not quite as fierce as it had been over last two outings, but 26 kph to 21 kph, out of the S, only gusting to between 36 kph to 34 kph, but still a consideration in terms of my route. Once I'd completed the PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside loop I knew I still wasn't prepared to hit Eastside so opted, instead to use the initial stretch of the KVR, off Pickering, for the remainder of the ride. The grade to Vancouver is relatively easy but even more so with the wind at my back and upon return leg, downhill grade ameliorated the effects of the powerful gusts.

Not the most interesting ride although the vista, north, of Okanagan and Giant's Head, is always spectacular. With all the repeated climbs and walls of wind on descent, my AVG was pretty dismal, 17.1 kph, but the workout was good for my legs and I was greatly pleased to be out at this time of year. Back home in plenty of time to shower and change, even if I was constantly chided by Lady Dar! Cheers. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2335781804#.Wg5TBAWN3Ls.email

Hi Patrick I can play on Friday 😊 Judy Thank you Patrick. Not available either day this week. Good luck Patrick, I am not available to play Bridge this week. Next week isn’t good for me in the evenings but I am available Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. Pamela

Hello Busy Bridge Folk! Unfortunately, it seems as if most people are otherwise engaged so No game this evening, unless Olga Polga, magically appears, from the misty hills of Summerland. I suspect this will not be the case so Judy Blue, you are released from bridge duty!

With respect to next week, Naramata Goal can only play on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons so that is a distinct possibility. Lady Dar and I can both play on Monday or Tuesday evening, while I can play on Wednesday evening as well. Consequently, consult your calendars and interest scales and let me know what you might like to do and we'll plan accordingly. 

On another, far more important matter, The Burns Street Gang would like to invite everyone to our Open House, (See attached invitation. I apologize for cross-posting but wanted to include those on larger Bridge List as well.), Saturday, December 9th, anytime after 4:00 pm. Perhaps we can have ten tables! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, Hope all is well. I apologize for the delay in getting you this quote. Attached is the bid to do the whiteface in your crawl space. Gimme a shout we'll talk about it. Take care Patrick, I look forward to hearing from you. Hi Nick! Thanks for your call yesterday. I took a look at the attic this morning and I don't think that the space above the garage was insualated as there is a wall at the end of the house, separating the garage from the rest of the attic. I didn't go into the attic itself as I was concerned about disturbing the insulation, already put down. I presume, if your company goes ahead with crawl space work, one of your people would be able to confirm insulation, or lack thereof, in space above garage.

With the measurements I took for Rumpus Room, 19' x 12.6', (no crawl space below), I deducted 239.4 sq' from attic total, 1,690 sq', to arrive at 1,450.6 sq' for a cost of $4,917.53, based on initial estimate figures. If garage was insulated, a further 211.5 sq' would need to be deducted leaving a total of 1,239.1 sq', for a cost of $4,200.55. 

Please let me know, at your earliest convenience, what you think and when work might be accomplished. I assume you, or someone else, may well wish to come by to corroborate figures and provide a final estimate. Unless this estimate varies wildly from what I have outlined, we do wish to have crawl space insulated. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Good afternoon Patrick, We are now on Salt Spring after travelling down yesterday - took just over 5 hours from Kelowna to the ferry and then we completed the entire journey in less than 10 hours. Today we are enjoying a restful day gearing up for our friends plus her sister (plus her dog) arrival tomorrow afternoon. Already written to Corinne and told her how much we too enjoyed our time together. Taken three days for me to recover from the cat dander and my sexy voice plus coughing is definitely on the mend. Sorry to hear about Chloe - these things happen and sometimes they are for the better - I am sure she will pass with flying colours in February.

Regarding your visit to Europe. Andre is flying back to Vancouver on Wednesday April 4th. He usually stays for around a month but I do know he will want to get back to his garden in Chabeuil. I am planning to go down on or shortly after Saturday May 12th when my May work commitments are over. He may go down earlier but leave him to decide nearer the time. His return journey from BC will not be booked until he arrives here in April. After mid-May we will most probably be in residence until you leave on July 10th and would be delighted to host you during this time. I will leave Andre to discuss your bike retuning - we will be back in France during February/March so can easily organise this during this visit. We can talk about how you pick it up nearer the time or you can always contact us until we fly to London in the evening of Saturday 25th. Cheers, Rosemary XXX


Dear Corinne and Patrick, Just managed to establish that Andre has told everyone the wrong number so thought I would correct the error. It ends in a 5 not 7. This should work until we fly to London on the evening of Saturday 25th. Take care my friends, Rosemary XXX Hi again, Rosemary, et al! Thanks for update on phone number, as well as your home schedule in Chabeuill. As I think you mentioned, I might well have to gain access to your "gorgeous, Million, (USD) Star Pad" via the next door neighbour, to retrieve my bike, but we'll cross that thresh-hold when Andre knows more about his return to France. I am probably going to spend about a week in Paris, once I arrive, as I quite enjoy just strolling the streets and boulevards, taking the Metro to different parts of the city, etc., visiting museums and galleries. I have never been to Versailles so I might well take this opportunity to do so. Perhaps a trip to Vimy and/or Normandy. Who knows? Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment