Wednesday 22 November 2017

Philosophers' Cafe & The Attraction of Jane Austen in Our Times Blues: Wednesday, November 22nd!

Oh, would that my mind could let fall its dead ideas, as the tree does its withered leaves! -Andre Gide, author, Nobel laureate (22 Nov 1869-1951)


Hi René! Just a quick note to thank you for the terrific gathering and discussion at The Philosophers' Café. I have been meaning to send along these snaps ever since! As well, Lady Dar and I would like to invite you and Terry to our Open House on Saturday, December 9th, at our place, anytime after 4:00 pm. Hope you can join us. All the best, Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, Corinne and Sara :) Well the photos are lovely and I am so glad I am finally looking at them on the large screen of my iMac ;) I think you may have sent them awhile ago but I honestly have been so busy I think the email was set for “another day”. So here it is almost 1am and I have just finished the monthly accounting and paying bills. So wonderful to have had a FB request from Sara after your visit and reconnect after so many years. It is fun to see the children having fun and doing neat things. Sun Peaks is now open and I am itching to get to the mountain and get into the alpine. I can hardly wait!! Might get there this weekend. Corben and Doug are in Revelstoke for hockey so Damian and I can go and enjoy the snow :) Just have to make sure I have all my shopping done and am ready to go for Monday before we head up. 

Anyway, must get to bed and YES… we need to have a visit in the beautiful Okanagan. Doug has a trip to Kenya planned with Developing World Connections in July so who knows what August will look like. If you know anyone who wants to travel to Africa, put them in touch with Doug :) He is recruiting!! Can’t believe it but Santa will wake up on Saturday… is it too early to say Happy Holidays? My neighbours already have their Christmas tree up! Love to you all, Ariane Hello Fellow Aquasizers! Glad you enjoyed the snaps, the second time around! I know exactly how you feel, Ariane, as I'm just now managing to get around to trying to catch up on correspondence! With respect to travel, Lady Dar would love to join Doug in Kenya but her Marriage Officiant role requires she be here in July. Fondestos from her to you both. Well, must away as I need to think about putting up our Christmas lights. Still hoping we will have to collect everyone at Penticton Airport for our Open House! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Cornelius Pass People! Trust all goes well. Sorry I've not been in touch for aeons, it seems. No excuses, but plenty of reasons. High on the list is the fact that Chloë moved to Penticton at the end of September. She is now working for a property management company, Pacific Quorum. She will live with us until April/May when townhouse, in Sendero Canyon development, about ten minutes from us, is to be finished. Built-in cat sitter so we are off to Costa Rico, for a month in early January. Will spend Christmas with her and then on 27th plan to drive to LA to spend New Year's with Ayn and Los Horridos. Alejandro is to graduate from the LAFD on January 6th and we will attend the ceremony. Next day we will fly to Costa Rica. Once back we plan to head east to spend time with friends in Palm Desert, Phoenix and Dallas.

This being the case, wondering if it might be convenient to stay on the evening of the 27th? Don't worry if you will have a houseful or won't even be home, as we'll simply keep heading south. If we won't see you then, you could fly to Penticton for our Open House on Saturday, December 9th! Please find two First Class return tickets attached! Must away as I've to drop Lady Dar at her Flatlanders meeting place and then I have to take in a form to gas contractor for a rebate from Fortis. We had an on-demand hot water system installed at the end of October. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Bobolino! Pleased to see you, if only briefly, yesterday. Thanks for receipt for hootch. Just back from a bracing ride, fighting with the wind, gusting between 39 kph and 46 kph out of the S. At least the gales dried out the streets so riding surface was dry and free of grit, for the most part. Hello to Albariña. Cheers, Patrizzio!

By the time I'd run a few errands it was 12:45 pm when I was suited up. Wasn't all that unhappy about not going earlier as the strong winds were drying out the city streets, wet from the rather steady rain soaking most of the morning. Once again, I was still without an odometre so that, and the fact that the wind was gusting between 39 kph and 46 kph out of the S, I knew I was going to become Hamster Man, using the known distance, gerbil route, off Lakeshore/Power, to clock most of my distance. This route also provides reasonable shelter from the blasts even if a tad tedious, after the umpteenth repeat. Still, I beavered away and consoled myself with the thought that at least I was outside and riding, with toasty toes, (I was wearing socks for the first time this Fall, Dear Reader!), and a few glimpses of blue sky. Back home by 3:35 pm so I estimate that my AVG was somewhere between 18 kph and 19 kph. Am hoping to buy another Garmin odometre at MEC, in Kelowna, when we will be there on Friday. If I do pick one up, then I'll have incontrovertible proof of my outings!


Hello Famiglia Coffaro! Will spend Christmas here, with Chloë, and then drive to LA to spend New Year's with Ayn and Los Horridos. This being the case, we were planning to pop by, probably on Saturday morning, December 30th, before pushing on to Tinsel Town, as I think I have some wine to collect. I seem to have misplaced my code so I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if, indeed, I do have some fab Coffaro waiting to scooped up! Alternatively, you could Tesla to Penticton for our Open House on Saturday, December 9th! Fondestos from Lady Dar, readying herself for her book club this evening. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patricio! What a thrill to receive your thrilling missive! Limited vocabulary, you know, science training it was. Regrettably I no longer have a bike so will not be able to wheel over to Pen city. Imagine leaving the fascinating lower mainland for the dusty dry Okanagan! Of course, I guess there must be some consolations for you there. Like many visitors from the rainy coast. Yes it is doing it agin, soggy and damp and cold!

And son John is coming in from Cranbrook to refresh his dehydrated core. This weekend as a matter of fact. So you see what your absence here is resulting in..... Have to consort with Relatives!,, have a great party...without me... Give a call when you are in town...need some humour. Love to you both, Mary V
 

Dearest Limited Vocabulary Vickers! Thank you for your latest science report! Sorry to learn that you are Bikeless in Gaza, so to speak! Please pass along regards to Cranberry Man as I believe we met Jonathon at one of our gatherings at Harbour Terrace. Bash won't be the same without you, of course! Unfortunately, we probably won't be back in Vancouver for some time now. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Mary Queen of Scotch. Still hoping we will have to collect you at Penticton Airport for our Open House! Cheers, Patrizzio! Err, Umm, Soggy foggy here! Glad to hear that you are not too too desole about my non appearance at yer bash. Maybe when I am on my annual road trip to the east, I will be able to drop in! Happy Holiday to you both etc Mary LLV

Hi Err Umm Speechless in Foggy, Soggy Vancouver Town Woman! You are always welcome here, Your Royal Highness, Mary Queen of Scotch. However, Lady Dar, Your Lady in Waiting will put you in a room with Miss Etta and El Diablo Duke, to tutor you and help improve your vocabulary. They have a keen mastery of human-speak and I'm sure you will have words, descriptive and vituperative, dripping off your tongue after but a few hours with them. Until then, they are both resting up! Cheers, Patrizzio, Headmaster, Burns Street School for the Semi-Literate. Motto: Non Omnia Possunt Adquirere!
Pics: El Diablo in one of our bathroom sinks! Miss Etta on living room chair!

[Rae Tanner is with Kathleen Crawford and Rick Livingstone.
Simi Valley, CA, United States 25 years ago Kathleen Crawford! Happy Birthday!]


Hello Simi Valley Folk! Trust everyone is well. Had occasion to think of you people today. I was listening to CBC, Q with Tom Power, and he interviewed Bryan Cranston. If you are Twitter followers you may well have heard about this as he posted his experience in the aftermath of Manson’s death. He explained how he had briefly seen the notorious criminal while horse riding as a 12-year-old, only a year before the 1969 murders. Aside from the fact that I am a fan of Breaking Bad, I was surprised to learn that this chance encounter had taken place near, or on, the Santa Susannah Pass, a route I rode most recently, as you might remember, to your place for such a fabulous Christmas dinner last year!
 
Some of what he said, pieced together from other sources: “Hearing Charles Manson is dead, I shuddered. I was within his grasp just one year before he committed brutal murder in 1969”. “Luck was with me when a cousin and I went horseback riding at the Spahn Ranch, and saw the little man with crazy eyes whom the other hippies called Charlie.” He and a cousin heard desperate shouts of “Charlie’s on the hill!” “Everybody looked around, and there was this frantic nervous energy going on, and they all jumped on horses and away they went”, he said.

“We asked the old guy [Spahn] what was going on, and he said, ‘Oh, it’s nothing. It’s happened before.’ We thought, ‘Well, Charlie must be someone important.’ He also described his shock a year later upon realising that Manson was the cult leader of the murderous Manson Family.
At any rate, I hope I'm able to ride this route again at the very beginning of 2018 so perhaps I'll see Charlie's evil ghost! With Chloë now relocated to Penticton, we have a built-in cat sitter, and are off to Costa Rico, for a month, in early January. Will spend Christmas with her and then on 27th plan to drive to LA, (crossing into US at Osoyoos so will miss both Vancouver and Seattle traffic!), to spend New Year's with Ayn and Los Horridos. AS you probably know, Alejandro is to graduate from the LAFD on January 6th and we will attend the ceremony. Next day we will fly to Costa Rica. Once back we plan, (Details not yet fully confirmed, as of this writing.), to head east to spend time with friends in Palm Desert, Phoenix and Dallas. Trust we'll have a chance to visit, at some point, over the course of our stay.

Lady Dar's Grandmothers For Africa Caroling for a Cause takes place this evening, downtown, so we will be busy setting up around 4:00 pm. Was raining quite heavily this morning but forecast suggests it will be dry for the event so we give US Thanksgiving Day thanks for this. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you three, just off to perform the downward facing feline! Hoping we will have to collect you at Penticton Airport for our Open House! Cheers, Patrizzio!
Poppa, forwarding your email below to Rick with his new email so you have it xoxo Hi Ayn! Thanks very much! Love and Cheers to The Lost Burritos, you and Winstonian! Poppa!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment