Wednesday 30 October 2019

Dr Kunimoto and The Skin Clinic Blues: Wednesday, October 30th!

Great literature is simply language charged with meaning to the utmost possible degree. -Ezra Pound, poet (30 Oct 1885-1972) 






Hi to all Well, we finished the trek and my knees are ever so grateful that there are no more stairs, slippery rocks or hills to climb and descend. Trek was amazing and luckily for us the monsoon rains washed away parts of the trail on our last day adding an hour & 40 minutes to the detour. So instead of a gruelling 8 hour hike we ended up taking a taxi for $200 to our last stop and spent the day hiking around the temples & waterfall. A few who did walk the trail said several trees had fallen plus it was extremely muddy & slippery and no views like the other 4 days. At least that is what they told us and we are happy to believe them.

We began our trip in Osaka and spent 4 days trying to figure out the transit system, money & food, not quite successfully but at least we are more comfortable. We’ve been eating our way through Japan with meals far surpassing what we were fed in Nepal and Bhutan. We’ve not had any spam but lots of sashimi, grilled fish for breakfast along with miso soup, chicken, pork, tofu, eggs, rice, etc, etc.

I must say I really miss my bed and pillow. The mattresses are quite thin and firm (not to mention being on the floor) and the pillows are filled with plastic beads that hurt my head. We have just spent the last 2 days visiting my relatives in Tottori, an area famous for the sand dunes. This exhibit at the sand museum is based on the eastern world.

For 2 days we had been treated like royalty. My cousin arranged for a photographer & interpreter to come everywhere with us on our ”Fujii Family” bus. His scheduled itinerary kept us going from 8:45 am to 9 pm. The 2nd morning we were greeted by a reporter from the local newspaper who followed us around taking pictures and even interviewing me. Dinners last 3 hours as you are supposed to slowly digest your food, drinking beer & sake. Problem is the moment you put your chopsticks down, another dish magically appears!

I’m totally exhausted from being entertained and trying to entertain. My face hurts from smiling but I am so very honoured to have met such wonderful generous caring relatives. My biggest regrets are that I could not communicate directly and that I did not get to know them years earlier. I look forward to hosting them in Vancouver although it will be a very tough act to follow.

We have just arrived in Naoshima where there is an art exhibit taking place all over the island. We spend a couple of days here, tben to Hiroshima and lastly Kyoto. Everyone has been so gracious and friendly, even excusing me for my ignorance with the language. I’m so happy to be here. Love Elaine
 







Hello Plastic Beads in My Pillow Woman!

Thank you for the wonderful pictures but sorry to learn that you are not sleeping well! We can sympathize with you on that account as we experienced much the same, as far as mattresses on the floor and almost nowhere to put any clothes. Still, you relatives sound like incredible people and I'm sure they have more than appreciated your visit, completely exhausting though it be! Travel ain't easy, that's for sure!

On the home, [yours!], front, thank you for allowing us the luxury, sheer luxury of staying. we certainly appreciate it and have more than enjoyed our time here. On a more worrisome note not sure if you have been following what has been happening in California under such devastating attack from the ferocious winds and the terrible wildfires these howling demons have fed and fueled. David and Nancy, in Berkeley, had a large oak tree fall on their roof a week or so ago, now, but apparently, [unbelievably], the damage to was minor. Have not had any word from the Coffaros and assumed they might well have had much graver issues to contend with of late, let alone probably being without power, although their winery, etc., is running on solar panels. Last we heard, Healdsburg had been evacuated and, by chance, I heard an employee from Robert Young Estate Winery interviewed by Laura Lynch on CBC's Radio One, The Current, this morning and she said the Kincaid fire had threatened the winery but staff and firefighters, with the considerable help of the vineyards as firebreaks, managed to save the buildings and homes on the property. As this winery is about 5 miles southeast of Geyserville I assume Coffaro Winery has not been threatened but wonder if this is the case if Heladsburg has been evacuated. I plan to send Pat a short message to see how they are, praying for the fact that they and winery are safe.

We arrived on Sunday after stopping in Sunshine Valley to have lunch with friends, Colleen and Al, and then on into Vancouver to stay at your place. That evening we walked over to near Kits Pool to have dinner with Matt and Catherine, just back from a month in Japan as Matt wanted to attend about four World Cup Rugby matches! [Did you bump into them!] Lovely dinner and actually watched the to-semi final games, [recorded], with Glasgow while The Sisterhood discussed plans Catherine has for their new condo. They've only been in possession for two months, one of which was in Japan, so loads Catherine wishes to change. She will start without Matt as he was off to The Canary Islands, next morning, for ten days to go hiking with fellow classmates from medical school!

Next day we ran errands, collecting baby gear, [folding bassinet, car seats, clothes, etc.,], from a number of Chloë's friends, both in East Vancouver. Had hoped to see Flash but a last minute job came up and he had to cancel to go to a shoot. This being the case, I then dropped Lady Dar off at Granville Island as she was to meet Joanne, former neighbour at Harbour Terrace, for a walk and then lunch. I plugged car in at a charging station near Edibles and then popped in to GI Market to buy a couple of buns and some sliced meat for lunch. Took my purchases to Harbour Terrace to see if either Flamin' or Sarge were home. Flamin' was there so I made my sandwiches and we chatted until she took a nap. Unfortunately, she is still "struggling" with the effects of accident this past December. She is now seeing a neurologist specializing in concussion but do not know more than that or what prognosis is or will be. Very difficult and troubling of course.

After a couple of hours I collected car and drove back to Bayswater to start readying house for two tables of bridge. Had to set up one table, [From basement. Will showed me where legs were stored and took out one insert in dining room table and then found tablecloths, cards, etc. Took a bit of time as I wasn't sure where any of these items were kept. [Did find $2,000 US so I kept that as I know you won't miss it!] Anyway, managed to find everything I needed and shortly after I had finished Lady Dar came home. She'd had a great visit with Jo-Anne and we will see her again when we have dinner with F/S on Wednesday evening. Since she was being collected, by friend Robyn, for book club, at 5:30 pm I opened a bottle of red for her and we toasted our home away from home. Gang started arriving right on the dot of 5:00 pm so Lady Dar had a chance to visit with everyone before she left.

Was great to see many whom I'd not seen since I'd organized a similar gathering earlier this past spring, [or even further back in time than that], although we had seen Polly/Mick Carter in Naramata, this June, and Janet in July, in Penticton, when she came for dinner. Anyway loads of fun with plenty to eat, [pot-luck], and drink! Gang left just before 10:00 pm and I was almost finished tidying up by the time Lady Dar was back. She helped dry a few dishes and then we both turned in around 11:00 pm.

Lazy sleep-in until 8:30 am and after I zapped my java, [I "stole" a travel mug from Flamin' and filled it with last of the coffee she'd made when I was over.] Couldn't find any beans even thogh I emptied every drawer in the house!], I looked for more charging stations. Found one at Jericho Village, about ten minutes walk away, as you know, so planned to use it and then hoof it home. Unfortunately, both plugs were in use so I headed for station near Kits Pool but discovered I needed a Flo app on my iPhone. I thought it was a ChargePoint station, [That is how it was registered on map I used but I may have misread something.], and wasn't worried as we have a card. Knew I'd have to return to Bayswater to sign up as I hadn't brought along my phone, of course!

Had a call from Alastair while I was away and we arranged to meet at Kits when he was finished his day's shoot, around 1:00 pm, so that was great for both of us. Lady Dar went out to do a bit of grocery shopping than and when she came back she said she'd had her flu shop at Shopper's just around the corner. We'd wanted to get ours in Penticton but drugstore didn't have any vaccine on the day we could go. Decided I'd strike while the iron was hot and was able to get the Tdap shot, [tetanus, diptheria and pertussis, aka whooping cough], as well, because of the coming baby. As soon as I'd been "stabbed" I drove to Kits and was fumbling with the Flo app as Flash drove up in his jaunty Miata!

Thought I'd need him to help me initiate process but I managed to invoke right commands and plug released itself and car was merrily charging itself as we drove  back to Bayswater and after more "scouring" of your Elainecupboards, I found some coffee beans in the upstairs suite and we made some Industriale and enjoyed it while I showed him the snapolas I'd taken of Museum Fotoateliér Seidel, in Český Krumlov, as I knew he would be quite taken with it, given his own profession and interest in all things photographic. Had a grand time chatting while we viewed, about their lives and ours, and time was up all too quickly as he had to head back to his studio, around 3:00 pm as he'd promised a number of clients to have some things ready by end of today. Hope we might see him and his hareem before Christmas as they might stop by on the way to Christina Lake, [roughly two or three hours east of us], where they often spend Christmas at Kirsten's mother's cabin.

Waved goodbye and Lady Dar was back shortly thereafter. I headed off to send messages, [Of late, I've been sitting at your desk as I think the WiFi works better here as it kept kicking out upstairs and it was almost like living with dial-up!] until  Calamity Jane, [Whirlygig's amore. He lives on Galiano could not make it into Vancouver this week.], arrived for dinner. Lady Dar prepared garlic shrimp to have with gluten-free gnocchi, along with yellow, cherry tomatoes in Feta so it was a feast almost to compare to your wonderful meals, Elaine! After dessert, poached pear with drizzled chocolate sauce. Had a grand FaceTime chat with The Hermit of Galiano, [Whirlygig], and then I walked Calamity home as I had to collect our Kona, charging its little electric heart, at nearby Kits Beach! Back home to help dry last of dishes and then bed for both of us as it had been a long day.

Lazy sleep-in and then up to make java, using French Press I purloined from upstairs and bag of ground coffee from one of cupboards in basement. As I mentioned, we are having dinner with F/S this evening and they have said we should stay overnight. We've accepted as this way we can do bed linen and such, before we leave. I'm dropping Lady Dar at Van Dusen Gardens to have lunch with Nancy Halpern and then I'll head back to Kits Beach as I want to charge our car again. From there I'll walk over to Harbour Terrace until it's time for my appointment with my dermatologist, near VGH. Lady Dar will take bus back to GI in plenty of time to visit with Clan Sutherland. 

Anyway, must away as I need to have a quick shower before we set out. Fondestos fromLady Dar to you, Elaine, and to Liz and Doug. Stay well. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Flash yesterday afternoon! Calamity Jane that evening! Pumpkin not far from you place!









Lady Macbeth would have done well to have listened to this advice! A bubbling cauldron of magical wishes from Lady Dar and Patrizzio!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment