Thursday 17 October 2019

Dr Troy and the Shouldare Blues: Thursday, October 17th!

Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value. -Arthur Miller, playwright and essayist (17 Oct 1915-2005) 


Dear Patrick, My what a great time we have had in Liverpool!! The Liner Hotel has been excellent and we just finished our last breakfast. The sun is shining and we are packing to get ready to take the train to Manchester.

Yesterday our day started with a visit to Liverpool's Central Library--what a lovely library--many floors and tourist information part of their main floor. The library is conveniently located about a block and a half from our hotel. Then we went for the last part of our Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour as the pass was for 24 hours and ours started at 2:00 p.m. the day before. We hopped off at the Liverpool Cathedral--what a magnificent structure--so tall and impressive inside. There was a modern art crucifix inside made of wood that was very moving--I think it was called something like Christ's Rage. I loved the cathedral's gift shop as they were selling Christmas cards that support various causes--right up my alley. The cards in the UK are amazing so of course I really have funr. We spent a good hour at the Cathedral.

We then boarded the bus for our final tour around the city. The day was sunny but there was a cold wind so I opted not to sit upstairs outside. Felt cozier sitting down below. We got off at Liverpool's World Museum which is right beside the Central Library and close to our hotel. This museum is located in a great building and has five floors--the bottom one houses an aquarium and the top floor is dedicated to Outer Space and has a planetarium. It is really an excellent museum well laid and as a teaching museum it is wonderful designed for kids with clear descriptions and labels. There were several school groups at the museum when we arrived. We enjoyed a lovely lunch at the museum before exploring all the collections.

A real highlight for me was the Egyptian collection which had the "Mummy Place" which was the best Mummy exhibit I have ever seen. Actual mummies--human remains--quite shocking and as an adolescent boy commented these can't be real--but they were. Many of the mummies were acquired from a wealthy Liverpool fellow Joseph Mayer who had established a mummy museum that ended up being closed in order to protect it during the war because of the blitz. Anyways the Egyptian collection really was quite something and one which I think should be touted far and wide.

We left the museum just before closing and took a different walking route to the hotel stopping at a eclectic used book store. It was one of those special bookstores with an older owner operator who is well known to his clientele chatting with them about various books, histories etc. The store had a large collection of political, military history and literature books. I did buy one and now have to contend with hauling it about.

One of the defining characteristics of Liverpool is the screaming caws of the seagulls-that start and end your day. We loved the magnificent Georgian buildings--Empire Theatre, George Hall etc. etc. I learned last night from a program entitled Children of the Blitz aired on the Liverpool TV channel that the city had been the first in Britain bombed by the Germans in 1940. Really interesting and the to see shots of the destruction around the Victoria statue right in the city centre was meaningful as we had bused pass this area earlier in the day. However, somehow some of the buildings had been spared and the Germans deliberately did not destroy them. Far different era for war fare than what seems to be happening in Syria.

Anyways we certainly have had three days that have been filled with many interesting sights. Liverpool is definitely a place worthy of a visit. It has been well worth it. We hope you are enjoying a good Wednesday. Off to Manchester we go. Lots of love Jo-Anne and Colin


Hello Ecyclistii! Thanks for the welcome home but we wish to welcome you both home as well, given your recent junkets to Calgary, [Arlo?], and Portland, [Rotary?], to stay for a bit, in Summerlandia, I trust! Knew you had been by, Aarturos, as my malt cabinet had quite a dent in it by the time we returned, last Saturday. Great, Judi emptied our wine fridge and you did your part with the whisky collection. What are friends for anyway!!! Just a note about bridge on Monday, Josinta. Michaelo is playing so perhaps you might wish to carpool. Gather Olga Polga will not be back from Edmonton until following week.

We are off to Spirit Ridge tomorrow for the AGM, until Sunday. Flamin' and Sarge will be there as well so will be great to see them. We waved goodbye in Dubrovnik on September 20th when they flew to Rome, en route home.

Must away as I want to start on my shoulder exercises. Saw my physio yesterday and she was pleased that I had retained the degrees of flexibility, [for different stretches], that she had recorded before we left for Europe. [Whenever possible, I did as many as I could while travelling.] Still more stretching to go but at least I'm making progress and not having any of the considerable discomfort I experienced pre-op. 

Saw my orthopaedic surgeon this morning and he was very pleased with X-rays and gave me a few more stretching exercises. See him next March so trust I'll be waving my right arm above my head by then. Would have joined hike today but for this appointment, although I know I'll be struggling to keep up with you gazelles! Unfortunately, for me, next week is out as well: Soupateria all morning on Monday and massage therapy at 9:30 am on Thursday. Heard from St Kilian and he very kindly invited me to join some of the shorter hikes he does. Might well take him up to ease back into hiking form. Fondestos from Lady Dar, out in the garden doing some winter clean-up, to you both. Stay well until next we see each other. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi On The Road People! Trust all continues to go well. I had a call from Easy Lock in OK Falls yesterday. Don't know if you have called them yet but lady told me that they don't have any covered spots left and ones with plugs are apt to go quickly so if this is of interest I suggest you call to reserve. I would do it for you but I assume place will want a credit card #. If you send your Visa #, expiry date and CCV code, I'll rent what you want, plus my booking fee: We have a number of wine club releases to pay for! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Stay well until next we see each other. We trust you'll have time to enjoy a meal when you leave your Traveling Chateau somewhere hereabouts. [I didn't look in Osoyoos or Oliver. Would you like me to do so?] Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks for the invite to see you guys. You'll have to come here also for afternoon tea and cake sometime. Good to hear your recovery Patrick is almost 100%, no discomfort and you're even biking. Hope my recovery isn't as long as yours but they say hips are quite good. Phil hiking with OF's today so will confirm with him but likely Tuesday would be good. I have to go to the hospital at 10.30 am and could come over after that. What time would be good for you??
Bye for now hugs Gill


Hi Gilliana! Coincidentally, I have my annual check-up at 10:30 am on Tuesday, while you are at the hospital! Why don't you and Phillipo come over to our place after your appointment and Lady Dar will be here, even if I'm not yet back. Doctor's office is only a few blocks away, down Ellis, and I assume I won't be all that long anyway. Depending on what your appointment involves, I'll most likely be here as well. Anyway, will look forward to seeing you both some time around noon, +/-, on Tuesday. We are off to Osoyoos/Spirit Ridge, later Friday afternoon, for the weekend, but will be home, until then, so let us know if this works. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
Yes that works for us and thanks again. Please let me know if we can bring something?? I shouldn't be more than an hour at the hospital so noon looks fine. bye for now Gill  Hi again, Gilliana! Great! Thanks for offering to bring something but we only want you to bring your bridge cheat sheet and Phillipo a cord of firewood! See you on Tuesday! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Dame Judith! Trust you are enjoying California. Wanted to send along a quick note as I found your thingamajig. [Looks like it goes on a spiked high heel!] I found it under our bed, towards the back of Lady Dar's side. If you haven't already replaced it, didn't want you to do so. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you. Stay well until next we see each other. [Are you still out of bridge group? I know you won't be back but we are playing this coming Monday at our place.] Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: El Diablo and Thingamajig!

Thank you for finding my heel protector. No I didn't get a new one. Also thanks for the photos of my sweetie bird teaser and killer. I am almost ready to fly out tomorrow. Feels like I am missing something, but I can't figure out what it is. Oh well, I will remember when I am on the plane. Glad to hear that you are recovering. A slow, consistent recovery is best. I too had a good report from my doctor. My neck is feeling much better and I too will keep up my exercises. Re Bridge, just not sure. I have 2 choirs that I sing with plus my volunteer work and now I am in the Sound Stage production. I think I will still hold off for a bit until some of these things are over. Take care, and we are looking forward to getting together with you both when I get back. Judi

Hi Aero Woman! Glad you didn't buy another heel protector. Duke will hold it ransom until you bring over a case of wine! Understand about bridge so we'll just play it by ear, [I'll leave you on list but simply disregard any messages unless you are interested in playing on a particular evening. I'll assume you can't make it if I don't hear from you.] Fondestos from Lady Dar. Travel safely. [Pleased to learn that your neck is better!] See you soon. Bon Voyage and Cheers, Patrizzio! That is perfect as I would like to play at least once a month to keep learning. Judi 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment