Thursday 27 February 2020

Blow The Winds Southerly, Southerly Blues: Thursday, February 27th!

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. -Ralph Nader, activist, author, speaker, and attorney (b. 27 Feb 1934) 


Leave your inhibitions at the door! Vancouver Writers Fest’s Incite series will be hosting an elevating evening with Dr. Jen Gunter, author of The Vagina Bibleand the internet’s favourite OB/GYN. From debunking junk science around anatomy and function to calling out celebrities and ‘health gurus’ for blatant misinformation, if you’ve got a question (or a pet peeve) Dr. Gunter has you covered! With an interview conducted by Saleema Noon, Vancouver’s resident sex and empowerment educator, this Incite is certain to stimulate some raucous discussions and laughs. Wednesday, March 4, Alice MacKay Room, Vancouver Public Library 350 West Georgia Street, 7:30 pm


Nana and Pierre out at the club❤️
Hello Deanna! I was unable to open the authorization form as an interactive pdf document so I have scanned the printed, completed form and attached it with our credit card information, etc. Please confirm that such a submission will enable you to discharge the amount owed. Thanks, Patrick Dunn/Corinne Durston. Outstanding Balance for Unit 120A Hi Patrick, I have opened the file and it works fine, so I have given it to our accounting team to process. Please let me know if you need anything else at all. With care, DEANNA Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Tinsel Towners! Wonderful Snapolas of The Boy and Los Horridos, Olivia Rose, etc. In one of his "Three Months" he looks as if he is dancing in Swan Lake! In others, an LA rapper! Does he have an agent yet? I've already arranged with Hazel to book a gig at The Dream when you are back!

On another matter you will see that I have attached a shot of the Oro Mezcal I tried at Pam Webster's place. You might ask Los Burritos if they know of any specialty stores that might stock it as I'd really like you to pick one up, if possible. Not a big deal if you can't find it but see what you can do. Thanks. 


I know you are all pretty busy but I think you should try to phone Wole, or reach him via email, to see if you can get together. I know he would be delighted to introduce you to his wife and child and meet Rowan James.

I paid the daily limit, via E-Transfer, to Mike for latest invoice. [
Hi Chloe, Please find attached the invoice for work completed. Thanks, Mike] Told him I'd make similar payments over following days until total is discharged. While I was so doing, I noticed amount that had been deposited in Joint Account. [Hi I've put money in joint acct. So put half on credit line from joint once you have put in your share. Spending day at home. Will go for a long walk. Had a nice time visiting with Alex yesterday at lunch. Need down time this eating and shopping is tiring. Love you Corinne Hi Moneybags! What is exact amount to stay in Joint Account. Please advise during your "down"time! Tough life indeed! Wish I had such a hardship posting! Love and Cheers, Patrizzio The Poor!]

Is this what I need to put in as well? [The idea is that $500 would go into line of credit. C] Please advise so that I can put cats up for sale! Great that you are spending like drunken sailors while I'm here eating spoiled fruit and rotten avocados. Even have to spread cat's rejected venison on my sandwiches. Doesn't taste too bad, actually, especially after it has marinated on their dishes for most of the day! At least I won't have to return the cans to pet store!

On a far more difficult note, I forgot to mention that when I dropped rum and empty Soda-stream containers off at Sendero, a few days ago, Kid Chelene told me that his mom had had a very disturbing scan result. Apparently her brain has shrunk, [Clinical opinion is that this is probably due to concussion!], and that she has the brain of a 70 year old. Could be that she is at risk for early onset of Alzheimer's/dementia. Not sure if you had been in touch after this diagnosis. I'll ask him if he knows anything more when I see him this weekend. If doctors are right, a pretty tough hand to have been dealt, of course.

At any rate, must away as I have to make sure Etta isn't in the closet in spare bedroom. She and Duke were investigating it earlier and I want to make sure I don't lock her in when I'm out riding. As well, found one of Lady Dar's earrings on the runner in the kitchen this morning! Think next time we take them to SPCA will have one of his ears pierced. He'll look great as Pirate Cat! Fondestos to one and all. Love and Cheers, Dad/Poppa/Patrizzio! Pics: Mezcal; Movie for Rowan James! He can do Boss Baby version!!!

The movie is fabulous! There is a specialty liquor store nearby that may have your tequila so I'll swing by and inquire! Xoxo Ayn Hi Movie Lover! Glad you enjoyed the clip. It would really be great if you could feature Rowan James doing his version in next Hallmark blockbuster! If women can kiss on-screen why can't infants break wind? However, hope you don't get fired for making this elevator pitch! Thanks for scoping out Mezcal. Must away to apply for a job as Greeter at Wallmart to help pay for basement suite! Love to you and rest of Exhausted Tourists! Cheers, Dad/Poppa/Patrizzio! Pics: Rowan James call home!

Hi Janet and Laird (and Elle and Patrick), Janet and Laird, it’s great that you can join us for Jazz Night! You might want to pick up your tickets ahead of time in case they sell out. It’s usually a pretty popular event. I bought ours ages ago.
Tim and I can pick you two up around 6:00. Elle, we can also pick you up around that time as well, if you wish. We will need your address, Elle. Patrick can meet us there and we can have a leisurely dinner before the music starts at 7:30. I’ll phone The Barking Parrot and make dinner reservations for six people at 6:30 on March 5th. Does this plan sound okay for everyone? Cheers, Marian Hi Social Coordinator! Thanks for doing all the hard work. I'll see everyone at The Barking Parrot at just before 6:30 pm, on Thursday, March 5th! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Barrel Tasters! Would love to join you in March but will have to wait until May! [Pleased you enjoyed Valentine, Patrizzia!] Coincidentally, had been thinking of you both last Saturday, for another reason: Banff and The Wardens. Don't miss seeing them when you are back in Canada, although you could catch them, closer to home, in Montana. They will be doing a two week tour of the state, shortly, with twelve gigs booked. Next day they held a benefit concert for a local charity at Roche Wines, almost next door to Upper Bench. Have also included a few snaps of Tinsel Towners as they have been there since last Thursday. Fondestos to you both. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Rugby 7's: Are you planning to come into the city next weekend? Sarge Hi Sarge! Trust you are well. No, I'm not going to 7's this year. The Tinsel Towners return on Saturday, the 7th of March, so I need to be here to collect them, as well, I'm hoping to paint the basement suite next week, if drywall is put up and filled, before then. Will you be up earlier than the Easter weekend? Cheers, Patrizzio! That's too bad. As of now I have no plans to be up that way before April. W Say it 'ain't so, Sarge! I need help, from a tall person, painting Chloë's suite, so come on up for a few days, [over a Monday so that you can join our bridge evening!], and perhaps you can even come snowshoeing with gang, if interested. Life in Paradise!!! Or bring your bike and we can cycle KVR. 
 
By the time I was ready to roll it was almost 2:00 pm. [Wind was out of the SSE at 22 km/h, dropping to 18 km/h by ride's end, temperature 11º C when I left but dropping to 9º C by the time I was back home.] In spite of the strong head wind on way south, it was a wonderful ride. Since I've now upped my basic minimum to 61 km, in order to do this distance today I dipsy-doodled my way around Skaha Lake Park and surrounding streets so that I had just over 42 km under my belt by the time I hit 97, making first for large parking lot near a sketchy trailer park on the banks of the Channel, before the turn-off to the airport. Then on to Airport Road on which I rode past the airport to the Penticton Air tanker Base to turn around, [It's as far north as you can go.], to retrace my steps back to 97, poking my nose, just before highway, into what can only be described as a derelict trailer park with most of the lots empty and overgrown with weeds. All of the few buildings, RVs or mobile homes looked to be in need of much repair, some showing signs of fire dm. However, didn't seem to bother three deer feeding on the grass near the entrance!
 
Then for a short distance on 97 to turn off on road which leads to either Play Winery or Skaha Meadows Golf Course. I stayed right to cycle past the golf course on Old Airport Road, [Private Road announced a sign as I know it belongs to Penticton Band!], all the way to Green Mountain Road, passing some of the housing, a school and a church of Penticton Indian Reserve 1, where I turned left to head towards Apex. However, I was only going as far as Westhill Road where I turned around and zipped downhill most of the way back to Channel Parkway. Caught the light there and then dipsy-doodled off Industrial to then follow Atkinson, Okanagan and Cherry back to Government, really whizzing along here as wind was pushing me along. 

Was just opening the door to garage when Amanda, my neighbour, said hello over the fence. She had passed me on Government, on her own way home, and we had a pleasant chat. Haven't seen her for almost two weeks as she is just back from Maui. She wondered if we were missing a cat toy as she found one on her porch. When she showed it to me I didn't recognize it so Roman, her feline, must have purloined it from some other neighbour. Had a good ride yesterday, 61 km, [Which is, I think, second or third ride after  setting this distance as minimum for basic ride.], although my Garmin did not record it. Not sure why. Damnation! Oops, Tarnation, Dear Reader!!! 
  

Weather was simply wonderful with a bit of wind out of the SSE at 22 km/h, gusting to 30 km/h, and temperature rising from C to 11º C over course of ride, almost like being in Tinsel Town! Since I was worried that something might be wrong with my Edge Touring I dug up my older Edge 200, charged it, and took it along as well. For backup, to my backup, I also invoked AllTrails on my iPhone so I now have three different records of ride!

Edge Touring, Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4598503533#.XlhxmxQod5o.email
 
Edge 200, Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4598503533#.XliQqosfYAo.email   
 
AllTrails, Map and Stats for ride:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-feb-27-5-23-pm-09a69de?p=-1 


What is really interesting is the difference in the stats for the two Garmin recorded rides. The distance is trivial but the 200 has the ride almost 10 minutes faster than the Touring, hence almost 18 km/h AVG even with more elevation gain! The Hamster Cage Blues, [Round and round and round on the streets off Power and Westminster, day before.], ride was added manually, as best I could remember distance over 61 km and time out so those stats are a bit fuzzy! AllTrails results are closer to the 200 but this app shows an elevation gain of 878 m! Lies, damned lies, and statistics!

I'm selling 50/50 tickets at The Dream on Friday when The Naramata Choir, Small Groups, will perform. Looking forward to hearing them as I've not heard them before. Quite highly regarded, I understand. Kid Chelene will help me collect the vanity, being held at Rona, for Chloë's basement bathroom, on Sunday morning. Going snowshoeing on Monday, to Mount Riordan, near Apex. Which reminds me, you really should try skiing at Apex. Apparently the conditions are terrific and have been for some time. Have I convinced you yet, not to wait until April! Fondestos to Flamin'. Take care of each other. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Guys I checked out the bald range this afternoon and it is getting much too slushy there now. I suspect the upper Carmi area is getting similar. And there seems to be still a lot of snow lower down to make boot hiking great. I was thinking of higher up again – has anyone done Riordan recently? Do you think that would be OK and would either of you like to lead it? Cheers Tony Hi Tony, The Riordan is a good snowshoe and not too brutal. Between us we should be able to find our way to the top. Patrick, are you good with the Riordan? Cheers, Tim Hi TTT and TT! I'm fine with Riordan although I don't think I've been before. How is the terrain relative to Moose Hut? Cheers, Patrizzio!

 
It's a bit more elevation but as Tim says not brutal. If you are OK with it, I will send out a notice. Tony
Hi Tony! Thanks for all your work. Yes, Riordan sounds terrific. Looking forward to it. Cheers, Patrizzio!





No comments:

Post a Comment