Saturday 8 February 2020

Snow Melt and Skating Rink Road Blues: Saturday. February 8th!

When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -R. Buckminster Fuller, engineer, designer, and architect (1895-1983) 


The Lantern Festival or the Spring Lantern Festival is a Chinese festival celebrated on the fifteenth day of the first month in the lunisolar Chinese calendar. Usually falling in February or early March on the Gregorian calendar, it marks the final day of the traditional Chinese New Year celebrations.

Hi Sunshine Valley Socialites! Trust you both well. In fact, had been meaning to send along greetings for a week now. Last Saturday I heard an interesting interview, on CBC's NXNW, with an indigenous weaver who is the Artist-in-Residence at the Blue Cabin so I felt very, very proud to know that Al had been instrumental in making that whole project happen. Bravo! Hip Hip Hooray! For many, many reasons, I believe we, [as well as our Canadian society at large, of course], in BC, need to have such exciting art installations and working studios put in place to foster not only a sense of history but also to stimulate both aesthetic and critical thinking. I think it is simply wonderful that you, Big Molly, have been part of quite a few public art endeavours. What an incredible legacy you have bequeathed! This being the case, I cannot possible grumble about the fact that our simple firewood holder has been put on indefinite hold and that Lady Dar must shiver and shake for want of easily accessible kindling!

We are off to hear the Okanagan Symphony this evening, here at the Cleland Theatre, next to the Community Recreation Centre. Looking forward to it as the husband of one of my hiking friends will have one of his compositions preformed. Sunday we will host Chloƫ and Rowan James for The Oscars with another hike on Monday so the circle continues! Fondestos from the Penticton Patient. Stay well. Travel safely between home and your home away from home! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Kid! Trust your time in Ottawa was a blast! I bumped into Derek at the pool this past week and he told me you were away. I also asked if he might have time to pop over to our place and take a look at our two printers as we don't seem to be able to configure them to print remotely. He suggested I give you a shout the better able to arrange a time. He is off this coming week. Anyway, if there is really no reason for you to have to come over could you pass along his phone number and/or email address. Thanks. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hey Pat, Ottawa is COLD!!! But having a great time. Here is Derek's number: I’m not good with that kind of stuff. Corey

Patrizzio, I certainly did read your response and would love to come Wednesday. I think I must have been waiting to communicate to my social convenor, and got caught up in the whirlwind life of retirement. I remembered the lovely description of being kindly greeted by McLean Creek Road wanderers! The concert was fabulous. Rita and I agreed the best part was the piece composed by Salieri, and recomposed by the young fellow playing the base cello. Have a great day tomorrow and we will join you and Lady Dar on Wednesday. What shall we bring to complement the meal?

Hi Procrastinating Quillster! Nice dodge, blaming an other for your failure to respond! Do you happen to be related to The Trumpster? Nevertheless, both Lady Dar and I are delighted that you will be able to join us on Wednesday. Thank you for the offer to contribute but your scintillating company will be more than enough.

We absolutely concur with your characterization of the OSO Diamond performance. Sitting, as we were, in the second row, almost close enough to touch the individual guest artists, it was a wonderful treat to see the expressions on their faces and their body language as they played or waited for their particular entrances. I happened to bump into Kira Shiner on my way out and told her how much I had appreciated her performance on the oboe. 

I quite liked Three Views of the Okanagan and Ernst's, [Please note we are on first names basis! I know Colleen from hiking group and called her Colonel Klink after she lead a number of our outings!], Piano Concerto No.2 and thought it was quite a brilliant touch to pair the two works which celebrated the region and then one of its remarkable composers. Quite a pool of extraordinary composition talent, both young and mature. Tchaikovsky was a crowd-pleaser, of course, but having the Youth Orchestra playing with the OSO was marvellous to see and hear.
 
We missed you back at The Burns Street Bistro. Didn't think Josinta and Aarturos would stay for long, as I knew they were both tired from skiing, etc., but it was just after midnight when we pushed them out the door!  At any rate, a lovely, lovely ending to a remarkable night. You can let me know if you plan to "shadow" me at the Dream or simply show up. See you on Wednesday if not before. Cheers, Patrizzio!              Dears, Great little get together last night after the concert. Glad you are feeling better again Corinne, and Patrick still going strong and being the best host ever. Thank you. Jos and Aart. Hello Skiers/Concert Goers/Late Night Freeloaders! We both really enjoyed our evening with you so thanks for coming over! Didn't realize that it was just after midnight when we "pushed" you out the door! Stay well and enjoy bridge on Monday. I'll say hello to Laila for you! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Fartograms, Please be advise that Chuck and Tim are going to snowshoe above the Summerland KVR trestle on Monday, February 10th. 
 
They will meet at the Summmerland IGA at 9:00am. Pentictonites will need to meet at 8:40am in Penticton to carpool to Summerland, (see attached map). Everyone is welcome to join them for a three hour outing followed by coffee. Josinta and I will be skiing at Apex so won't be along to tread the light fantastic.
You might wish consider wearing a waterproof shell as melting snow drips from the trees. Cheers, from The Quillster, aka Aarturos Dronkos, Personal Secretary and General Factotum to Tiny Tim and Chuckle, Fearless Leaders, pro tem/Pro tempore





No comments:

Post a Comment