Friday 28 February 2020

To Swim or Not Swim, or to Bike, that is the Question Blues: Friday, February 28th!

He who establishes his argument by noise and command, shows that his reason is weak. -Michel De Montaigne, essayist (28 Feb 1533-1592)

Celebrated pop culture icon and American artist, Bob Ross
The Joy of Painting Brown Bag Lecture @ Penticton Museum Speaker: Paul Crawford, Curator, Penticton Art Gallery Location: Penticton Museum + Archives (785 Main Street)*

Paul Crawford’s journey into the world of art has been anything but a traditional one, one that has built the belief that a work of art is a piece of social history and its cultural and commercial value lies in the stories it tells with each piece serving as a bookmark in time, documenting the life of its creator and the world in which they lived and worked. Growing up in a household with little interest and engagement in the arts, Paul’s education came through firsthand experience starting with a string of inspiring teachers, public art installations, community public art projects, stamp collecting and the connection between an object and its story. It’s been a non-conventional journey and one that when I started reached back to the foundations of our western tradition of art here in British Columbia right up to the present day.


Hi Ariane! Your lovely package arrived a day or so ago! Thank you so much for your generosity, as well as sending along gift form TNT! I haven't really looked at the items other than to have taken out the note to us. I chatted with the Tinsel Towners the day of the delivery and they were both most appreciative of your gifts. I took over the package to ChloΓ«'s place yesterday, to check mailbox and put out garbage and recycling bin for collection today, so it will be there for Rowan James when they are back on March 7th. Thanks again for thinking of Rowan James. Fondestos to you and your Three Lads! Take care of each other. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Latest from Tinsel Town! Rowan was three months old on February 26th.

Hi Patrick It certainly is a joy to see how happy your family is with Rowan! What a blessing. Looking forward to more FB posts as he grows up. It will be fun to watch his journey. We are starting our home renovation on March 7. I have been busy for 2 months already with the bedrooms and bathrooms. Tonight I am painting the foyer. Have the linen closet to paint too. After that I spend next week moving the kitchen and living room into the garage. April 1st we should be done- no joke πŸ˜‚

Fingers crossed all goes well. My contractor seems to be very organized. Designer is awesome and kitchen company is fantastic. Looking forward to our new home. Keeping the wall you wanted gone but getting rid of the small one. Additional windows. Moving the door. Vinyl plank flooring. New stair rail. Painting the brick. New mantle. I think it is going to look so nice. All started because our dishwasher broke last April 🀣 Take care, Ariane πŸƒπŸπŸ‚πŸƒ
Hi Paint Brush Woman! What wonderful news about the plans for your kitchen and living room. Exciting indeed! Buona Fortuna!!! Maybe I should hire you to help me paint Chloe's basement suite when drywall is finished! The day you start your home renovation, March 7th, is the day The Tinsel Towners are back.
Happy prep! Stay well all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Another morning taking care of the patient felines and enjoying my java while I digitated. Had to pick up a few groceries so headed out around 10:00 am to pick up what I needed at Wholesale Club. Back home I split firewood and kindling for about an hour or so and by the time I'd had some lunch it was close to 2:00 pm. Since I was selling 50/50 tickets at The Dream that evening, I knew that I couldn't do other than my "new" basic route, limited as I was by needing to be back at the Burns Street Bistro in time to ready myself for my shift. As well, the wind was pretty strong, if not fierce, out of the SSE at 29 km/h, gusting to 41 km/h, but the temperature was a toasty 9° C.

Given all these facts it didn't take much thinking to choose to put my Trek in hamster mode and then I just sat back and enjoyed the ride over my route regulare! By the time I'd finished all my gerbil wheel loops off Power and the surrounding streets I felt like I was one of the rides at LocoLanding Adventure Park adjacent to the SS Sicamous. Still, it was probably the best way to discharge the distance I wanted and avoid the worst of the fierce headwind, battling it up White, to the very last as I made for home. Had invoked the AllTrails app on my iPhone when I set off just for fun, now that I know my Garmin is recording, to compare stats:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-feb-28-5-20-pm-1ba922a?p=-1

Garmin Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4601625954#.XlnCO15hI-8.email

As mentioned, I was selling 50/50 tickets at The Dream, that evening, with the Naramata Choir, Small Groups, preforming. I assumed that this would entail mini-versions of the full choir but in fact it entailed performances by individual choir members. Was quite a range of talent, [akin to The Tuneagers, in terms of strong and weak voices], but overall it was really a very, very entertaining with some simply remarkable performances. I thought I might well leave after a few numbers but ended up staying for entire evening so compelling were the acts.

Started out selling tickets, of course, and Luigi was there, along with a group of her fellow Narmatian hiking/skiing friends so it was fun to meet them as I've heard about them for some time now. As well, Bonita, from our hiking group was there. She's not been out, of late, as apparently her husband has not been well. [Some spouses actually stay at home to care for a loved one!]. In the same area, at the back, opposite the bar, Lynn, with two other GFA, were seated. They asked about you, Lady Dar. Had a great visit with them as they were having loads of fun. Was pleased to see Lynn enjoying herself, in the aftermath of her husband's death.

Sold almost all the tickets Hazel had put in the 50/50 purse and didn't realize, at the time, that many of the people who bought tickets were actually performing. Last year there was only one evening and Hazel mentioned that quite a few friends and relatives could not get in so group asked for two nights this year. Truly wonderful to hear such a deep pool of local talent. Margo, [from Oasis], was one of the performers and she did a very moving rendition of a Jan Arden number. Another young woman, [her first year with the choir], did a hilarious, hilarious number from a Leonard Bernstein opera, [I'd never even heard of it before.], dressed appropriately and adorning herself with glitzy costume jewellery as the aria proceeded. Bedecking herself with yet another and another bauble had the house roaring! [At one point she twirled a long string of pearls like a lasso!] Her voice was probably the strongest of the night, [I assume she may well have had, or is still undergoing, training for singing opera.], and her number was perfectly acted. Her striking voice and expressive gestures created a magical, side-splitting tableau.

Another performer, a middle-aged  woman, sang Volare, (one of my Italian pop favourites), which I enjoyed muchly, reminding me of when I first heard it, in 1958, sung by Dean Martin, and then in 1960, by Bobby Rydell and others. While her pronunciation and enunciation of the original lyrics was masterful I found it rather amusing that she performed number as if it was a Flamenco dance. Didn't really detract from her polished delivery but disconnect, for me,  was a tad funny. Another woman, of similar age, performed two numbers, one in each set. First was with a male partner and they did a JoΓ£o Gilberto, [The Girl From Ipanema, made famous by his wife, Astrud], song which was most enjoyable. However, after the break she did a solo of a Cuban torch-song which was steamy sultry and really showed off her voice. Furthermore, she had the dress and the figure to pull it off!

Justin Glibbery, who is the Artistic Director of The Naramata Community Choir, was the keyboardist and was wonderful in his own right. I chatted with him during the break and learned he runs the music programs at Penticton Secondary. This being the case, he knows many in the hiking group, although he had never heard Jake called Jake! All in all, an extremely entertaining evening although I had my doubts, after the first two acts, by older men, with voices probably past their prime. To give you some idea of their age, Justin had to run after one of them to keep him from walking off the stage with the hand-held microphone. Don't know what might have happened once he reached the end of the cord. He might have been yanked back into the limelight, reeled in like a fish! Still, everyone was genuinely supportive/congratulatory throughout the evening as both audience and performers were just having great good fun.

Home to find the kittens asleep in our bedroom, Duke on the blanket, Etta on the chair. They both roused themselves, once I was preparing a bite to eat, and went outside. I watched a couple of episodes of Longmire and when I went to brush and floss both were sound asleep, having changed spots! Duke didn't even join me while I brushed, waiting to play with floss, but as soon as I had pulled the covers over myself, Etta settled on top of my legs! Fortunately, I had planned ahead and had my feet outside the sheets. Woke up at 5:00 am and she was still there! With such a busy, full day, no time to miss The Tinsel Towners as they live the glitzy life in La La Land! Cheers!

Hi Dreamers! Lovely to see you and friends there last night. If you are joining hike on Monday, Luigi, would you be able to pop by to collect me, en route to Cherry Lane? Don't worry if you will be doing something else with your Naramata Sisterhood as I can drive myself! Just like riding in Luxury! Sheer Luxury!! In a Cadillac, avec Bruno! Stay well all. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: The Dream!






 









No comments:

Post a Comment