Tuesday 25 February 2020

Drywall and the Pork Hock Blues: Tuesday, February 25th!

In the cellars of the night, when the mind starts moving around old trunks of bad times, the pain of this and the shame of that, the memory of a small boldness is a hand to hold. -John Leonard, critic (25 Feb 1939-2008) 

The Whistlers
Riffing entertainingly on the conventions of the cop thriller, Police, adjective director Corneliu Porumboiu sends corrupt detective Cristi (Vlad Ivanov) from miserable Bucharest to the sunny Canary Islands on a mission to uncover a drug ring - or is he actually just out for himself? There’s a sexy femme fatale, convoluted flashbacks, twists, turns, and an unorthodox whistling code, all in the service of a spry, clever film noir which hides its deconstructionism in plain sight. 

Was pleasantly tired after yesterday's hike so slept soundly and was left to sleep until just before 7:00 am when Duke's murmles started. I'd heard some fussing in the bathroom but it wasn't until I went to the sink to splash some cold water on my face that I discovered a number of Lady Dar's earrings on the floor. The Boy has a habit of flicking them from the holder, knowing such action will likely cause one or the other of us to throw back the covers!

After I'd fed them their designer cat food I enjoyed my java and around 8:00 am received a call from Sir James. I'd chatted with him the night before and suggested he try to change his flight from Vancouver to Penticton as he was worried about having to make a very early morning departure from YVR. For those of you who know Jamie, he is a late, late riser and never, never on time, for anything! At least he has come to realize this about himself. Anyway, he was able to change his flight and will now arrive at 6:30 pm, on March 22nd, in Kelowna, rather than Penticton. I told him it was not a big deal, either way, as I'd probably do a Costco run before collecting him. The change in departure time will allow him to meet with a number of mutual friends in the city so he is pleased to be able to do that.

Spent the rest of the morning catching up on correspondence as well as putting a pork hock into the slow cooker, along with chopped oniones, two cans of black beans and a diced yam. Will add some molasses after concoction has been on for a couple of hours. I think we inherited the meat from Lynne and Peter when they emptied their fridge before leaving for Victoria last year. Package has been in freezer ever since then and I'm desperate trying to empty it before the next Ice Age is upon us! Was looking forward to seeing how it turned out. When it hadn't thicken after three or so hours I added some gluten-free flour and rice. Presto! Nice and thick and yummy indeed. Hip Hip Hooray!


After splitting a goodly amount of firewood I headed over to Winnipeg Street to check ChloĆ«'s mail, [Nothing!], and to talk to Mike about when drywall might be finished as I will need to be ready to paint once that job is completed. Nobody there so I went to have a haircut. Took my book, Ken Follett's Column of Fire, the third book in the Kingsbridge Series, and serves as a sequel to The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, [Have not read these two.], in case I had to wait. Didn't have to so I was home close to 2:30 pm.


Hi James! Trust you are well. I know Lady Dar mentioned that I would be attending the showing on, Wednesday, March 4th, so just confirming that. In addition, I happened to mention the film to Marian and Tim Dunn and they would like to join us as well. I assume this will be fine but just to be sure please let me know when you have a moment. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Patrick,

Certainly they are welcome! I will put them on the list for that evening. Let me know if there are changes. Cheers, Jim I've let them know. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Greg throw some dates at us that work for you. I can’t look at booking accommodations until probably January. We have our place in spirit ridge and can do an exchange but they usually aren’t available until the new year. But if we have our dates it’s easier to find something. Wayne and I are going to book our flights in September as we will fly Aeroplan and so you get your dates down and we will follow it M

We would like to go in Sept. and October of 2021. It's a lovely time of year and not so busy. Corinne We are thinking 3 weeks as well. I think the retirees may be looking at longer. I would ideally like mid September now that I think of it last 2 weeks of Sept, even first week of October?? Barcelona connection seems really fine to me! Hi Guys, We are happy with that so let’s say arrive Barcelona on Saturday 18 September 2021 as a start date and we can then manage the other stuff from there. We are thinking three weeks tho could be longer as we are thinking of trying to go to Tangiers before we fly home depending on how we manage our time not quite sure yet. Ok let’s firm that date and go from there . Sounds good for us Michele Done Greg Sept. 18/2021 works for us. Corinne

Hi Tinsel Town! Lovely to chat earlier. Glad all goes well.  I called Kid Chelene and he will let me know when he is free on weekend and we'll collect vanity. Must way as I want to read Column of Fire! Love to one and all. Stay well. Love, Dad/Poppa/Patrizzio! Pics: Duke napping this afternoon!

Hi Pat, Could I trouble you for Ryan's address? I've just written a sympathy card, but don't want to bother Chloƫ for it while she is away. Thanks. MayaHi Maya! Trust you and family are well. Ryan lives in East St Paul. Love to one and all. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Thanks, Pat! Maya


Hi Patrice, Not sure if Colleen got in touch yet but wanted to let you know I printed off your not and Colleen gave it to her. She was very touched and happy to receive it and thanks for doing that. She somehow feels some guilt about not reaching out to people but we have told her she doesn’t have to feel the need to do that and she should just be looking after and concerned with herself.

We had most of the Teahan family over here on Sunday afternoon and it was very nice. Everyone was able to get a little one on one time with Sue and she was in pretty good spirits. Having said that she is quite frail and needs support to walk and is also affected cognitively and slow and somewhat confused in conversation which is probably a good thing, having her head somewhat in the clouds so to speak.

Hope you and the feline’s have been making out o.k. with your bachelorhood this week!. We really look forward to getting up there to see the extended family when things settle down here.

For now I am dividing my time between family stuff, dog walks and play, gardening (trying to get all my pruning etc done) and working sporadically on the still flowing project for Germaine. I have had a couple calls to go work on shows but so far holding off on those. One guy called and asked me to come be his shop foreman on Nancy Drew but I have already verbally committed to Lost in space as I have probably mentioned. I am really losing steam on the idea of fulltime film work I have to say and the Germaine stuff has been very nice in allowing me enough to pay the bills and have a life. We will see how things pan out but I am sure L,I,S. will be a pretty laid back gig and should still be able to get enough time off to make it bearable.

I must get ready to head out as I am to meet Germaine at her studio at 9 near Boundary and 1st Ave. and have to stop by metal supermarkets to pick up some sheet aluminum beforehand. I then have a meeting at My Mom’s care home along with my sister to discuss her overall condition etc. . She has also had a significant decline in the last while mentally and physically which we were told would happen by her doctors but doesn’t make it any easier to see. Alas it is what it is and just a reminder to live every moment to it’s absolute fullest, look after ourselves and those around us. Take care my friend and ttys. Cheers, Al


Hi Big Al and Marilyn! Pleased our note was given to Sue. Had not heard from Colleen but certainly not a big deal. Only important that she knows we are holding her dear. Sorry to learn that you have on-going issues with your own mother even though we know that this is not a recent development. As you know both Corinne and I were extremely fortunate with Annie and Dusty, in terms of elder care, but often this is simply not the case with many families, for one reason or another.

On a brighter note, am pleased that the project(s) with Germaine are to your liking and satisfying both financial and aesthetic needs. For my part, seems I've been so busy, since The Sisterhood/Rowan James, left for Tinsel Town I've really not had a chance to miss them! Fondestos to one and all. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: The Wardens and a bag of their Cowboy coffee. Have never seen java sold at the merchandise table before! Looking forward to brewing up a batch. Bradley told me that, on the trail, they would put beans in a sock and slam it into a tree trunk to "grind" them. I was reminded of one of Mr Bean's skits in which he is having lunch on a park bench, and to the horror of chap sitting beside him, takes off one of his socks to "spin" lettuce for his sandwich as well as "bonk" a sardine, I think, to ready it for filling!
Hi all, Looks like I goofed and most folk did not get the email for this week’s snowshoe.  My apologies! Below is the announcement…..Here is what Rick wrote after last Thursday’ hike….Plan for next week is to start again from Snowflake lot, go out the Vista Trail to a point where we can descend into the missing Rock Garden, pick up the trail that led us astray, go to the new cabin, and exit via Keremeos Creek, where we will have left a vehicle (at a place to be determined) 


Sounds so good that I think we will do it!  We will: -meet at Cherry Lane north parking lot at 0900 (0840 at IGA parking lot in Summerland) -carpool and drive to Snowflake parking lot (while leaving at least one vehicle at the pullout near Keremeos Creek) -snowshoe as above -debrief and refresh at The Edge at Apex.

-return to Penticton. Are you interested?  If so, drop me a note, and we will eagerly await Thursday. Cheers, Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment