Tuesday 18 February 2020

Dipsy Doodle and the New Basic Distance Blues: Tuesday, February 18th!

A word after a word after a word is power~Margaret Atwood




 

Hello Patrick How are you? Tim Gordon mentioned you popped into the branch but I was in a meeting. I tried calling the number on file but it does not seem to be working so I am hoping this email address still is! Let me know if you want to try and set up a time to meet and I would be happy to set up some time.
Take care, Tina Hi Tina!Thanks for being in touch. Here are a few screen shots as well as latest information on account. I trust these will be of some help. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Although I had enjoyed snowshoeing the day before, my legs felt fine and as the weather remained bright and sunny, I knew I wanted to ride. The wind, what there was of it was only out of the SSE 6km/h, gusting to 11 km/h, and the temperature was around 5º C, so I suited up, just after 1:00 pm and set off. Since I've been able to ride, fairly regularly, over last month or so, I decided it was time to "up" the distance, 51 km, I'd set as the bench mark for an outing. Time to start moving towards a 100 km ride so 61 km was new old, so to speak, Dear Reader!

Didn't much feel like hitting 97, during the week, considering truck traffic and toyed with making to OK Falls as an alternative but once I was circling at PTC I decided I'd see what it would be like to discharge the distance, dipsy-doodling my life away. Turned out it was just fine. Set out limiting my first two sets of loops, off Churchill and then Dynes, to three circuits each before heading to Riverside Mall. Followed this pattern, in great good measure, as part of my self-imposed anti-gerbilization strategy, with the back lane, south of Dynes and the Burnaby segments. Changing the circuits, if only slightly, made the process more of a game and I came to relish sling-shoting out of the roundabout, across from The SS Sicamous, onto Lakeshore, as I started yet another hamster-wheel treadmill! 

As I've ridden this route, quite regularly, for almost three years now, I've come to know, and be recognized by, a number of the locals who walk their dogs hereabouts, or simply stroll the sidewalks with their sweethearts! Even mothers with baby-carriages and toddlers in tow, as well as regulars at some of the restaurants along the lake. Even nod to a couple of nicotine fiends who smoke outside a couple of the motels which line both Lakeshore and Riverside and often cheer me on, my loyal fan base! At any rate, plenty of things to observe and keep me entertained as I chipped away at the new distance I'd set and just after 4:00 pm I was back home. Again, pleased with AVG of 18.9 km/h and went easy on myself that it was not higher, blaming shorter distances that didn't allow me to build up a greater head of steam! How easily rationalization comes! Now, all I have to do is keep to this standard! Fight!! Onward!!! Map and Stats for ride:  

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4566141853#.Xkyc0LJm0ww.email

No comments:

Post a Comment