Friday 7 February 2020

Early Morning Cat Invader Blues: Friday, February 7th!

The closing years of life are like the end of a masquerade party, when the masks are dropped. -Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (22 Feb 1788-1860)


Up at 3:30 am when I heard a prolonged set of yowls! Wasn't sure just what was causing the ruckus but imagined it might have been a feline interloper. Was worried Duke was in a fight with a neigbourhood tough but I found him on his "platter" atop the cabinet bed. As I was walking towards him I heard the outside garage door cat door flap so I presumed there had been a cat in the garage. Still don't know if it was Duke who yowled or the intruder. In the past he has uttered a set of low growls when, sitting on either our bedroom window ledge or the living room picture window ledge, he spies a dog on the sidewalk. As a precaution, I latched the cat door leading to the garage so if the cat returned it couldn't get into the Rumpus Room but more importantly, prevented Duke from gaining access to the garage and attempting to defend his territory! Went back to bed and no further disturbances so I was able to sleep until 6:30 am before agitation for breakfast began!

Hi Cross-Country Ski-er! Trust you are well and not running out of wax! No riding for the foreseeable future, given current snowfalls! However, was back at the pool yesterday, doing a little more than two hours of deep-water-walking. Plan to swim today. Must away to lay the fire, to keep Her Imperiousness cosy, and then clear off the light dusting of snow which fell last night! Stay well. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick: ok my big question is when do you have time to read for your book club? You are so busy with biking, cleaning, nursing, babysitting, drinking, entertaining, volunteering and much more!
 

You do have a full life! I just got in from a cross country ski in rainy weather that will soon turn to freezing rain. Everything here is cancelled which means I do not have to drive an hour to Baddeck to do a yoga class. I like the class, but if only 2 people attend then it is a lot of effort and a little disappointing therefore it is not worth risking my life driving over a mountain and through rainy icy conditions.

I am in the midst of applying for Indian visa and it is has been a bit of a nightmare. I first applied and gave all my info to an Indian e-visa agency instead of the Indian e-visa government agency. Their sites look identical except the agency charges double. I am hoping my information doesn't go elsewhere, who knows. There may be Rhoda MacCormick passports and visas all over India by now. 

 
Next issue: on the gov't website a passport photo is required to specific specifications, so this required trips to Japan Cameras and $16.00. I started my passport, but then I thought I would do Ron’s since he was bugging me about getting it done. I did Ron's application and I had no problems. However, each time I do an application I may have to go out to get info, well when you sign back in you need to put in a 12-digit number and then decipher a code. It doesn’t always work so usually it do this 2-5 times. So, Ron’s is done and back to mine. When the application site will not take my passport photo. Hours later, Dinao arrives so I think, “maybe it's my computer”. I send my documents to her and we attempt to complete my application. Every time I leave the site, I have to fix different items and I think one of these times I changed my birth-date by mistake. Back to the photo, well it still won't take and we try to figure it out. I call Japan Cameras, they say maybe if I get rid of cookies and cache it might make a difference. Yikes!!!
 
Photo: Missouri Historical Society
To make a long frustrating story shorter, Dinao resized the crop within the passport application and it gets accepted. I had cropped it to fit their borders, but Dinao thinks it must have been a bit too large for their screen. Anyways it is accepted. Then I go to pay and the bank won't take my credit card. I print out my application so I don't have to figure out what wrote when I am probably going to have to go back in to do some sort of fix up and I notice my birth-date6y6 is incorrect. Now I can't go in to fix the date because I said all info is true and I tried to pay. Now I have to start all over again. I am killing to write you. Lol

[Scott Joplin in June 1903. This picture also appears on the cover of "The Cascades" from 1904.] Then I checked Ron's visa and it expires March 5th, now I am confused, does the 30 days start from your arrival date and go for 30 days? I hope so. I just sent that query to the support line. They probably think I am a moron since it is about my 4th question and each time I think I sound desperate.

To put icing on the cake, I am wondering with the Corono virus and if travel will come to a standstill in a few weeks. We are booked for St Maartens Feb 20th to the 29th and then India March 2nd to the 20th. Hard to know, but I will make a 3rd attempt to do my visa now. Other than that all is great!!! Take care Love Rhoda Hi Technology Challenged Visa Goil! Great snap of Benson and his dad, as well as Oscar nominated Short! With respect to reading I usually do a fair bit each night, before turning off my bedside lamp. If I have a timetable, such as finishing selection for book club, I can finish off a book, depending on number of pages and density of text, of course, in a day or so if I devote a number of hours, for three or four such sessions, over the day(s) in question.


Carmel White Snow
With respect to your visa application I just saw a listing for your passport on Kijiji and it was extremely well priced! Too, too bad about your yoga class. I'm just back from the pool where I logged a mile and a half. Haven't been swimming for a couple of weeks so decided I'd work up, gradually, to three miles, per session, which is my goal for this month. Another reason was that I had a time constraint as Chloë needed the car by 12:30 pm as she had a doctor's appointment. 

Pleased to report that the work on the basement suite at her place has finally started. Yesterday, she and Lady Dar rejigged the design for kitchen that was prepared by someone our contractor, Mike, works with, as well as finding a fridge and washer/dryer at Home Hardware, both on sale. Still need to find fixtures for bathroom but have enough time for that before they leave for Tinsel Town. We have set up an account there so that Mike can buy materials and will receive a 10% discount. Every little bit counts!

 
Wish we could join you in St Maarten. Coincidentally, date you leave, for there, The Sisterhood fly to LA. And, Janet is in India at the moment. Here is her blog: Janet’s India Blog: <janettomkins.wordpress.com> I was just outside, splitting a bit of firewood and kindling and when I returned I noticed the message from Janet! At any rate, must away to do a mini-set of shouldares. Buona Fortuna with rest of visa process. Fondestos from Lady Dar, napping in front of fire with Duke! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: The Royals! Duke scoping out Rowan James when Chloë returned car after her appointment this afternoon.

Hi pat: Saw this, thought of you. Maybe they have some of your cash? Chris Hi Chris! Thanks for thinking of us! Nothing for me but one hit for Lady Darjeeling so I submitted a claim, on her behalf, but will charge her 50% of any sum she receives!

Hope it is a large amount as the work on the basement suite at Chloë's place has finally started. Last few days it has been reasonably warm. More snow forecast!  Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Lady Dar: Here is the website Chris sent. Remember, I receive 50% of any amount you are owed! Cheers, Patrizzio! <unclaimedpropertybc.ca>

Hi, Rhoda: I am not sure if you remember me from way back in Lesotho! Anyhow, Patrick forwarded me your message about India visa woes . . . . Maybe because I am in India right now. The visa process is indeed very complicated and taxing and in my view, unnecessarily so. It would be much improved by a better web interface. Anyhow, I didn’t have the difficulties that you’ve been having, but I still found it very stressful and when I was actually at the visa office (a long wait) I was in considerable doubt that it was worth it. I’ve been through it before, as this is my 4th trip to India, and it is always pretty challenging. 

I don’t have any helpful advice, unfortunately. My visa did arrive (by courier) a week or so after I applied. And even though I had only indicated that I needed a single entry, I was given multiple entries and it was (is) good for a full year from the date of issue (or maybe application, I’m not sue) and you can stay for up to six months. I am actually thinking of coming back again for a short visit in the fall to take advantage of the fact that I wouldn’t have to re-apply.
 

I met an Indian friend for lunch in Delhi and mentioned the difficult visa process and he blithely said that you can now easily get an e-visa. I don’t think so! All the best and I hope you have a great time in India. Janet (Janet Tomkins, presently in Mumbai) Hi Mumbai Memsahib! Funnily enough I had just mentioned your blog to Ski when your message popped up! Just came in from splitting a bit of firewood and kindling and stoked fire to keep Lady Dar warm. She is still suffering from the flu and experiences horrible chills no matter how swaddled in blankets she happens to be. She's been napping in front of fire, with Duke, for most of the afternoon! Fondestos from the Penticton Patient. Stay well. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!







No comments:

Post a Comment