Monday 24 February 2020

Molly's Moose Hut Blues: Monday, February 24th!

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen. -Samuel Lover, songwriter, composer, novelist, and artist (24 Feb 1797-1868)


I was up at just before 7:00 am to feed the felines and then make for the lab on Ellis to have some blood work done. Dr Paolo wanted to take another look at my hemoglobin count which was low on my last annual, a few months ago. He suspected it had to do with my shoulder replacement surgery but wanted to be sure. Anyway, I thought place opened at 7:00 am and I was there at 7:45 am to find I'd have to wait until 8:00 am. 

 
Not a big deal and shortly after I sat down an older gentleman walked in and I happened to mention my mistake about opening time. He replied that he had been coming for years so knew, full well, when doors were flung open. We chatted and I happened to ask him if he was from Penticton. "Naramata", he replied, "all 85 years of my life!" He went on to say, [after a few leading questions, Dear Reader!], that his father came from England and purchased 60 acres on the Naramata Bench, close to where the KVR crosses Naramata Road, and grew apples. He still lives in the family home although only on one acre, rest having been sold off as orchards went into decline. 
 
The KVR was still a working railroad as he grew up so I shared my fascination with steam locomotives when I was a child, visiting my grandparents in Rivers. My grandfather often took me to the roundhouse there and on the turntable used to move the locomotives into the maintenance bays of the roundhouse. My Uncle Walter also took me to Melville in the caboose of the freight train he was assigned to work on, as a brakeman, quite few times, a real adventure for a seven year old. At any rate, the office opened and we both proceeded to our separate cubicles. Back home to have time to enjoy my yogurt and fruit before gang arrived for the coming snowshoe. 
 
Luigi was the first to arrive and both Etta and Duke stood watch, from our bedroom window, over Bruno, as he explored our front yard. With Lou and I there were only six of us, [The Cousins, Murielle and Tony], so we took two cars to Apex and just before 10:00 am we all had our snowshoes on and proceeded to follow the well-used logging road at the end of the parking lot, along the east side of the creek. The wind was fierce in the open of the parking lot but as soon as we started to descend we were more comfortable as the wind was directly behind us. Plenty of fresh snow, but not overly deep so the snowshoeing was wonderful.

While the rest of the gang had been over much of the route we were taking, before, none of them could remember actually following the trail to Moose Hut, itself, having taken alternate routes to other destinations in the surrounding area. I had been to what I knew as Molly's Hut, [Neighbour, Bill, had taken me there two years ago and he referred to it by that name.], so I directed the group to the delightful trail which winds through the woods near the top of the ridge one climbs up from, leaving the creek behind. The trail had obviously been well-maintained since I was last there as on the first outing I remembered having to clamber under or around a number of large trunks which had fallen across the trial. This time the trunks had been chain-sawed and the trail was completely free of dead-fall.

Took us about 90 minutes to reach the comfortable A-frame and we enjoyed our sandwiches there. After our break we retraced our footsteps back to the logging road but instead of following it all the way to the parking lot we left it to follow the narrow trail which runs along the creek. Picturesque beyond belief! Climbing steadily, but gradually and easily, we left the woods to connect with the run which leads to the chairlift and made our way on it, through the village, back to the cars. We often enjoy a coffee at the Edge but gang decided that they'd rather find a place in Penticton so I invited them back to our place for java. Hadn't done so earlier as I assumed that most people would want to patronize the Edge. Anyway, we enjoyed de-briefing at The Burns Street Bistro and Lady Dar's "snowballs" were a huge hit! Tony The Tiger will do some reconnoitering this coming week and, depending on snow conditions, will suggest a destination for next Monday's outing.
 
Hello Secret Six, et al! Thanks again to Bruno for doing another masterful job of breaking the trail, in spite of chest deep snow! Good Boy! Quite different weather from last week's outing, with hardly a touch of wind. Blizzard like conditions as we left the parking lot and then more of the same as we climbed up from the creek to the exposed hill top. Once in the woods, however, the trees sheltered us all the way to Moose Hut. On the return, thanks to Luigi and Tony The Tiger, we were guided along the creek, through a virtual winter wonderland, back to village. Simply magical! 



T³ has generously agreed to do some reconnoitering this coming week and, depending on snow conditions, will suggest a destination for next Monday's outing. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi again Snow People! I forgot to include the AllTails, [Bruno's version of AllTrails!], recording of the outing to Moose Hut. Thought it might be of interest, particularly for those of you who have not been to this destination before. Cheers, Patrizzio! Map and Stats for outing:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-feb-24-1-31-pm-79a9887?p=-1

Thank you Patrick for suggesting this awesome trail...It was a very picturesque day and so much fun shared by all in the beautiful white fluffy stuff Now we know where is but not all about Moose, (Molly's)Hut...🙏😂☃ Cheers,...Elle Hi Murielle! Glad you enjoyed the hike. It really was a wonderful outing. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi All, As it turns out, we will be here for the Monday hike on March 2/20. We had a change in plans. We might be away the following Monday. Great snowshoe today! I was surprised by how much the wind and snow had erased our tracks. Thanks for the coffee and cookies Patrick! Cheers, Tim Thanks Patrick. Cheers, Tim 
 
Hi Tim! Glad you enjoyed the hike and the snapolas. I've attached some of the pictures I took of The Wardens to give you some idea of their marvellous performance. Also heard back from Jim, [Patrick, Certainly they are welcome! I will put them on the list for that evening. Let me know if there are changes. Cheers, Jim], so you are on for next Wednesday. Cheers, Patrizzio! Thanks Patrick. Great photos. Looking forward to The Green Book. Cheers, Tim               Hi Tina! Trust you are well. Had a fabulous snowshoe trek out of Apex while you were helping the economy in Summerland! Anyway, I was wondering if you had a time for our meeting on Wednesday? When you have a moment, let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Apex to Moose Hut!

Hi Patrick Pictures were fabulous… jealous of your day! I can meet on Wednesday but it would have to be 11am or later. Would that work? Take care,
Tina Hi Tina! Glad you enjoyed snaps. Wednesday at 11:00 am is just fine with me so see you then. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
Great – I look forward to seeing you! Tina

Are we playing at Carol's? Susan Hi ladies Just talked to Patrick Turns out it will be a girls' night tonight. He has opted to bow out to allow me to play....very generous. See you at Carol's at 6:30. What is your # on Windsor , Carol? AEB 4 rounds of cards completed! Good evening at Carols, thanks. Not even sure who got the big win....Susan was our tally upper. 

Checked my calendar and yes I can host next Monday, Mar.2. 1 or 2 tables is fine with me. After that I will be unavailable for the next 2 weeks, appointments and March break visitors from Halifax. Patrick, if you want please include my address in the email. Have a great day. Ann AEB 

Hello Windsor Women, et al! Pleased to hear that the evening went so well. Ann has very kindly offered to host next Monday, March 2nd, at Quebec Street, any time after 6:30 pm. She can accommodate two tables so let me know if you will be playing so that Ted can tear down a wall if needs be! No snapolas, that I have, as I was banished from the gathering. Ended up playing Solitaire, with a deck of 51, sippin' rot-gut, while The Sisterhood were hootin' and hollerin'! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

I can play. Dianne. ps. We did miss you, Patrick. I concur with Dianne , it was very quiet with Patrick missing 😉. AEB Count me in! Carol I can play if we get 2 tables. If not I will bow out (my turn). Susan

The Vancouver Writers Fest is proud to present the Books & Ideas Audio series, a diverse, powerful selection of some of our most compelling conversations, from the greatest literary minds to ever grace our stages. As one of Canada’s premiere literary festivals, which welcomes over 27,000 attendees annually, the Vancouver Writers Fest is known for its intimate cultural programming and evocative guests. 
From Malcolm Gladwell, Salman Rushdie, Margaret Atwood, Lindy West and Zadie Smith to a score of other Canadian and international talent—featured in over 80 events annually—the Vancouver Writers Fest has provided exceptional spaces for ideas to be cultivated and shared since 1988.

Books & Ideas Audio provides unprecedented access to conversations which have transcended their season: featuring world-renowned authors speaking to their work, philosophy, politics and more, and led by the incredibly talented moderators our audiences have come to know and anticipate. Previous moderators have included Ian Williams, Jael Richardson, Marsha Lederman and Shelagh Rogers.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment