Friday 21 February 2020

Duke and Etta and The Lonely Boy Blues: Friday, February 21st!

I and the public know / What all schoolchildren learn, / Those to whom evil is done / Do evil in return. -W.H. Auden, poet (21 Feb 1907-1973)

Cali Vibes!
Hi Pamela! Great night at PAG last night! On another matter, are you interested in playing bridge this coming Monday? We could use you to make up two tables. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Thank Leslie and Jim for stunning red wine!

Paddington ❤️
Great shots Patrick. Thanks for sharing. I have yet to dine at Bogner’s in all the time that I have lived here. My sister in Halifax recommended a bourbon yesterday…”Longbranch”. Have you tried it? I got lucky and found a copy of our next bookclub book “American Dirt” at the Book Shop last week. Monday nights don’t work for me. I have a full day on Tuesdays so I try to spend Monday night at home. Retirement is a tough gig. A retiree needs the energy of a 30 year old to keep up with all the wonderful activities available. Pamela Hi Bourbon Babe!

Yes, I like Longbranch very much. In fact it was one of a number we tasted at SOWTS for American Thanksgiving and I was able to identify it as I had picked up a bottle to see what it was like after hearing about Matthew McConaughey's involvement in its production. Didn't last long so I had to buy another bottle a few months ago! 
 
Paddington ❤️🥰
Darin Paterson, Chef/Owner of Bognar's is in SOWTS so we bump into each other fairly regularly, at the various tastings. It was the first restaurant, then called Granny Bognar's, we ate at in Penticton back in the mid '80's, when we first visited area to winetaste. However, we haven't been there for a couple of years, since moving here in 2015, now. Last night I was chatting with Kevin, President of SOWTS, and had suggested to him, on Wednesday evening, when he and Dame Judith were over for a drink, before Lady Dar and I headed to Dream, that SOWTS might consider holding some of their tastings at Cannery Brewery. Darin has already catered a Rotary-sponsored malt tasting which Kevin attended and was quite impressed with appetizers. SOWTS might well ask him to cater some of the future events if not held at the Days Inn. Earlier on Thursday, Kevin had talked to Patt Dyck, owner of CB, along with her husband, Ron, about possibility of holding events there and she thought it would work well for both parties!

Interdigitate

Photo: Hethr Reynolds
Pleased to hear you were able to find a copy of American Dirt. With respect to bridge, you're not much older than 30 so you should be able to stay up until 9:00 pm on Monday evening, even with a busy Tuesday ahead! Anyway, you'll be missed. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Patrick, Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we have other plans for Saturday night. Enjoy, On the other hand, still on the music front, hope you’ll join Tim and me for Jazz Night on the 12th. Cheers, Marian Hi Cousine! Too, too bad but everyone has busy lives. Yes, we're on for the Jazz Night. That's in March, on Thursday, the 12th, isn't it? If so, Lady Dar will be back from Tinsel Town by then so she'll be able to join us. What time does event begin. We have tickets for the Kitchen Stove, [
And The Birds Rained Down, (French: Il pleuvait des oiseaux), is a Canadian drama film, directed by Louise Archambault, an adaptation of the novel by Jocelyne Saucier, the film centres on a group of senior citizens living off-the-grid in a wilderness setting, whose orderly and quiet lives are threatened by a nearby forest fire as well as by changes in their personal group dynamics after the death of the group leader and the arrival of a new outsider.], at 4:00 pm. I assume GFA event starts after 6:00 pm.


On yet another matter, I noticed that Aarturos included you in a message about the Kiwanis Quiz Night. Are you going to be part of the Super Trivia Group! We had loads of fun two years ago, [We were away last year.], so looking forward to doing better this time around. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Dame Judith! Are you interested in playing bridge this coming Monday? We need you to make up two tables. If Annabelle is interested that would be great. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! I have a meeting on Monday night for the Kiwanis Music Festival. Not sure how long it will last so I think I will have to pass. Judi Thanks for speedy reply. Too, too bad. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Everyone, Tim and I are not used to being so popular! We have been asked by more than one couple to join their teams for the Kiwanis Quiz Night. Of course it’s all just for fun. Therefore, a suggestion ( credit goes to Patrick ) - we put our eight names ( Aart, Jos, Tony, Michelle, Patrick, Corinne, Tim, Marian ) into a hat and draw random teams.
 

Also, a reminder that Jazz Night on Thursday March 5th is coming up. Patrick, Corinne, Tim and I will definitely be there. Hopefully, the rest of you can join us. We could draw names for the Quiz Night then. Hope this meets with everyone’s approval. Cheers, Marian Hi Patrick, Oops! I just realized that we were mixing up our dates. March 5th is Jazz Night. March 12th is the Kitchen Stove film. See attached poster. Cheers, Marian Hi again, Marian! Thanks for clarifying date on March 5th. This being the case, Lady Dar won't be back from LA by then but I'll be there! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Snowshoe People! At last week's debriefing it was agreed that we would head to Apex this coming Monday, February 24th, to snowshoe to what is known as Molly's Hut. I happened to speak to my neighbour this afternoon and he and his wife had just returned from this very outing. He said conditions were excellent and trail easy to follow. I've been there a couple of times and have enjoyed each outing immensely. It should be about three hours from parking lot at Apex and back. It was also decided we'd meet at 611 Burns, at 9:00 am, to carpool from there. I assume we might have lunch at the hut and perhaps coffee in the village but that can be decided on the fly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Cockloft in red
Photo: Larry Smith
Hi Patrizzio, We are in Calgary & Vernon for a week, helping out Bodil who is alone for that time (Vince is in Ottawa). See soon.

Hi Stacey! Trust you are well. Am wondering if you are still planning on snowshoeing on Saturday? I'm keen. You will notice I've included friend, Colin, in message, as he might like to join us as well. Anyway, let me know what you think and if it's on we can make arrangements for time and where to meet, etc. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Dream on Wednesday! Lady Dar with Anna and Janine, fellow 50/50 volunteer; Samantha and Delta Sugar!

 


Photo: pxfuel

Cuntline or Contline or Cantline 


MEANING: noun: 1. The spiraling groove between two strands of a rope. 2. The space between bilges (the widest part) of two casks stowed side by side.

ETYMOLOGY: From cant (slope), from French from Latin cantus (corner), from canthus (rim). Earliest documented use: 1848.


Hi Patrick, Good to hear from you! I don’t think I can go this weekend snowshoeing as my health isn’t the best right now. Hoping I will be better soon!! Thank you for the invite though, and have fun. Great pictures too! StaceyHi Stacey! Glad to hear you enjoyed the snaps. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Take care of yourself and give me a shout when you feel you are ready to snowshoe. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Photo: corinna-kr/Pixabay
Hello Jet-Setters! Trust all goes well on Sunset Blvd! As Lady Dar knows, last night it was Chili Cook-Off at PAG. Wonderful evening.  Picked up two picture books for The Boy: The Girl and the Wolf by Katherena Vermette, author of The Break as well, and Zoe and the Fawn by Catherine Jameson, both illustrated by Julie Flett.



Am hoping to ride today, although it is pretty breezy with wind out of the SSE at 30 km/h, gusting to 40 km/h, although warm enough at 7º C, but have to wait until I hear from Curtis, the electrician who is working on Chloë's basement as he said he would pop by our place an hour ago but has not yet appeared! He will do a number of small re-wiring jobs that Lady Dar insists need changing! Your very sleepy kittens are in our bedroom, Miss Etta on the blanket on the bed, Duke on the chair. Stay well. Cheers, Dad/Poppa/Patrizzio! Pics: Chili Mugs!
 
Image: Amazon
Dear Friends, All is well with Joan following her second hip surgery. She had the operation yesterday (Thursday) morning. Although she was held in Recovery longer than expected while the anesthetic wore off, she was getting herself up and taking tentative steps with a walker by the end of the day. Despite assuring me this morning at 10am that "I'm not going to be released today", I was driving her home two hours later after she demonstrated to the physio that she could indeed climb the nine steps required to get through our front door. To date her recovery seems a lot quicker than last time when she was in hospital for three days. All good.

For no other reason that it made Joan laugh in hospital, I'm forwarding the attached brief video in the hope it will make you laugh as well. Apologies to those few of you (I'm guessing) who will have already seen this. TRIGGER WARNING - do not open this file if you are offended by fart jokes. Hope to see you all soon. Cheers.....Paul



Image: Amazon
[A mineral, otherwise known as magnesium iron silicate hydroxide. Named after Cummington, Massachusetts, where it was discovered. Earliest documented use: 1824.]
 
Hi Paolo and Hip-replacement Goil! Congratulations to you, Joan, on your successful recovery! At the rate you are climbing stairs you'll be off to Machu Pichu shortly! Funnily enough, I was at the PAG ChiliCook-Off last night and ran into Layton, Hazel and Hal. When I was chatting with Layton he asked about you two and I reported that I thought Joan was going to have her surgery shortly. Anyway, very pleased that all went so well. Hip Hip Hooray!


Was hoping to ride today but had to wait until I heard from the electrician who is working on Chloë's basement as he said he would pop by to do a number of small re-wiring jobs. However, by the time he was here and completed the work, [He did electrical work in our kitchen so we knew he was very, very efficient and competent and that is why we are delighted he is working on Chloë's place.], it was close to 4:00 pm so I decided to do my shouldares. Forecast suggests I should be able to ride tomorrow. Stay well. Cheers,

Patrizzio! Pics: Sleeping on the job! Tinsel Town bound; Chili Mugs: Layton, Hazel, Kevin and Paul Crawford, Director PAG, winners and my Penguin!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment