Thursday 13 February 2020

Wifi Help, Kitchen Sink and The Book Club Blues: Thursday, January 13th!

It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -Thomas Paine, philosopher and writer (9 Feb 1737-1809)  






Hi team, we are starting to think about 2021 travel options re Spain and Portugal 1 Arrive in Madrid hire a car and travel about for three days ex Madrid 2 then move to say Lisbon hire a car and repeat and then travel down the coast 3 then find a nice place for a few days and repeat step 1 4 move to Barcelona for a few days and repeat step one and then perhaps off to Gibraltar for a few days and repeat step 1 OR 5 Do a bike and hotel trip down the silver coasts 7 day trip Portugal and then repeat step 1 thru 4 


All up about three weeks in Spain and Portugal in either April May or August September you choose the months. We intend to do two trips in 2021 to Europe so your choice will determine the months of our other trip to Italy and Provence for two bike trips. Let us know your thoughts so we can start gearing up for flights etc. I still can’t email Patrick so of course could you let him know so if he wants to join in he can make decisions. Cheers Greg and Claire from down here

Hi Greg Thanks this looks good - I put pat and Corinne on email as they have expressed interest in Spain and Portugal as well . We will start to chat about it and get back to you soonest . I think of the top of my head that the August - September itinerary may work best . What is cost of the cruise/ itinerary sounds interesting Michele Sounds like fun. My choice would be Sept. I have included Pat's email to this message. Wayne We are interested. Prefer aug/sept Corinne

Hello Patrice, Thanks for all the great photos and blow by vlow of your hob knobbing with the who’s who of the wine industry not to mention music industry stars!. I have listened to Laila Biali many times on CBC and enjoy her music and hosting of her segments. Sounds like a great time enjoying some wonderful entertainment.

Thanks also for thoughts re Sue and I think it would be easiest all around if you just wanted to write something and I would be very happy to print and deliver on your behalf. She is taking it pretty well and of course had some emotional moments as one would expect but facing it bravely. I am going down today to check on the installation of a stairlift, I am sure you’ll remember that they do have a steep set of stairs which Colleen and I knew would be a problem eventually and even well before Sue got sick. Last August, as Sue and Gerry had agreed that it would probably be a good idea to get one. I found a free one on Craigslist and went out to have a look. It was a very good one and worked fine as I tested it a few times up and down. I went back with Colleen and carefully uninstalled it and it was very cumbersome and ridiculously heavy and hard on the back!

Anyway, we took it to Gerry and Sue’s and Gerry decided they didn’t want to put it in!. We were somewhat miffed having gone through a lot of pain and suffering to get it there. We said we would just leave it at there place in case they changed their minds which they very recently did with Sue’s worsening condition. Lisa’s husband Mark visiting from Ireland offered to help me so we started to work on putting the carriage back on the track as the first step. I had run it off the track intentionally as it would have been simply impossible to move it otherwise even though the track was in 4 sections.

This is where the problems started and we could not get power to the motor to drive the unit back on to the track. We cranked it on manually with the provided hand key but still didn’t understand why we could not get it to do anything. Unfortunately there was no manual to be had so I was looking on the internet to find some info. I hadn’t realized it but the unit has two 12 volt batteries hidden under the covers and this is what drives it. There was a charger which at first I thought was simply a transformer to provide the necessary power to run it. After pulling the covers off we determined that the batteries were shot having sat for the 6 months or so off we went to get new ones at Boundary and first on a Saturday just before closing. Thinking this was going to solve the problem we went back and installed them but still nothing so frustration really started setting in especially with the urgent need to get it installed as Sue had already had a number of falls and the thought of her negotiating the stairs was stressful for all concerned.

I decided I had had enough and decided to take a break and come back with more diagnostic tools to try and figure out what was going on. I went back down last Sunday and took all the covers off and started tracing the wiring to try and see anything that would indicate a fault. I could not see anything anywhere that looked awry yet as soon as you turned on the main power it would blow the main 20 amp fuse. I spent a couple hours going through it and finally had to give up on it but decided I would pack the thing back to my shop and try again. 


Needless to say more strain and difficulty ensued but got it out of the vehicle and into my shop hanging on my shop crane with some come alongs and straps. I spent another hour or so but to no avail, I then made some calls and was referred by a guy I had met through Craigslist to a fellow who dealt in these things for a living. I was going to have him come by and loom at it but he told me he could provide a used unit with a warranty and install it today for $1500. I consulted with Gerry and he said to go for it thankfully. I will go down and look at removing the railing to the other side and hopefully the saga will come to a close re the stairlift anyway.

Thanks for the great pictures and kind thoughts once again and do look forward to seeing you guys soon. Take care and talk soon, Al Hi We're gonna vent our frustration/If we don't we're gonna blow a fifty-amp fuse-Man! Wow! Talk about You can't always get what you want! I had to take a mouthful of Robaxacet Extra Strength after reading you tale of ever-increasing woe! It's not as if you don't already have anything to worry about! If you can't fix something it must really be unfix-able! Furthermore, I do hope you have not hurt your back! Trust installation goes well. How horrible for Sue to have already had a number of falls.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion about writing out our thoughts for Sue. Will begin trying to craft something today. Told Lady Dar what you had said so she knows and can start thinking about what she might like to say. She just left to attend her yoga class and then will head over to Chloë's to take care of Rowan James while Mom goes for a haircut. I'm waiting for a call from friend, Derek, who will come over to see if he can configure our two printers to work with WiFi. At present, we need to attach them directly to a computer. I had the one I gave to Lady Dar, for Christmas, two years ago, working remotely but somehow it stopped doing so when she was back from Mexico! Even Ragin' Bull could not configure one in my "office" when we set it up last time he was up. Not a big deal but it would be far more convenient if we could take advantage of the technology.

Must away to lay the fire so that it is ready for Lady Dar upon her return! Fondestos to you and Marilyn. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Dinner with Rita and Bill. She brought a fabulous gluten-free chocolate cake for dessert. Bill presented me with a bottle of his "brandy" distilled from wine made from grapes grown by good friend, Fritz. He and his wife, Clare, own Teas & Weaves, here in town. She spends more time running the store, although I know they both take buying trips together to select both rugs and various teas. He takes care of the vineyards, somewhere in Naramata, on the property where they live. We, along with Chloë, have a number of rugs from their store. Well worth a visit next time you are here, although you may have been there on one of your earlier visits.

Hi Ron! Trust you are well. You might remember I bought a quail sculpture, [female, and you included chick], at the last Winter Market before Christmas. My wife was delighted with it, so thanks. This being the case, I'm wondering if you might still have the male as I'd like to buy it as a Valentine's present. If not it, then perhaps something else. When you have a moment, please let me know what is available. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi there Patrick, hope all is well with you also. Yes I have two males at this time. There are 180 each. I live on Ellis Street if you would like to come buy at 4 o'clock to look at them. Come around the back to the shop. Cheers Ron Hi again, Ron! Thanks for the speedy reply. Much appreciated. However, would it be possible to drop by sooner as we are attending a film at 4:00 pm this afternoon? If today doesn't suit, then perhaps tomorrow morning. Anyway, let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Hey Patrick, I am here now if it suits you. Cheers Ron Hi, yet again, Ron! I'll be over as soon as my daughter returns the car. She said it would be in five minutes or so. See you shortly. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio! Cheers
 
Hi everyone, a very big thank you for all the replies you sent with your encouragements and good to hear all your updates It's makes a big difference when you have such a great group of friends especially in times like these. Good here too and although it's early days I am not bored yet. Everything I do takes up so much time and have had friends coming round. Only thing is they tell me all about the plans for trips I would normally have gone on! But I'm so grateful though that things are not worse.

We're driving down now to Tucson for a post-op check to be followed up with other visits to assess the weight bearing I can do. Tomorrow now and I was told yesterday that no weight bearing until end of April so in the wheelchair and using walker, hopping till then!! However things could be worse and I'm pleased that the surgery went well and I just have to wait for recovery.


Phil still having to do most things around the house and help me along. He's still very patient and putting in a lot of effort. I do a few things though it takes about five times as long as normal to do those but when Phil is out hiking for the day I have to. Keep having fun in the snow Will probably come back to Penticton early April earlier than originally planned which was May 1st Will say bye for now and hope to see you sometime in April Take care all and hugs from Gill 


Hi The Sisterhood! I had a call from Hildegard Von Bingen this morning and she will be driving to Book Club but would like to follow someone. Given there will only be the four of us now, I'm wondering if we can impose on you, Dianne, to be the chauffeur as there is very little room in our car, with Rowan James' car seat in the back. It would be a Squeeze Louise! If this is fine, we'll see everyone at The Burns Street Bistro at 6:30 pm! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment