Tuesday 11 February 2020

Sunny Skies but Lazy, Sleepy Cat Blues: Tuesday, February 11th!

To kill time is not murder, it's suicide. -William James, psychologist and philosopher (1842-1910)

 
Jason is my uncle Darryl's middle son. Tavis's brother. Note the last paragraph:)

this is 37 years after my grandpa Lloyd won:) 





Hi Sunshine Coast Curling Supporter! Wonderful that Jason is going to The Briar! I first met him in 2009, in Edmonton, when his team was trying to qualify for the Olympics. Terrific that he is following in your grandfather's large footsteps! Please pass along my congratulations to him when next you are in touch. Bravo! Onward!!


Lady Dar and Chloë/Rowan James just left for Kelowna to collect the Little Chap's passport for his first trip to Tinsel Town. Trust you and family are well. Fondestos to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Rowan James taking a break from watching Oscars this past Sunday! Yes! I remember you were a big fan!🥌
I wish it wasn't in Ontario, or I'd try to go with Declan. Love to you all, have a wonderful LA visit with Rowan James! Hi again, Maya! Just a point of clarification: I'm not heading to Tinsel Town with RJ and The Sisterhood. Lady Dar and I will drive down in May to attend Pierre's graduation but until then I'm under "house arrest" so that The Goils can play while I stay home and manage the felines and construction of basement suite!!!! Cheers, Patrizzio! AHHH. Girls Trip! Well, I'm glad you are taking care of things;) And WOW, Pierre's graduation!


What is the name of the Korean series you were recommending? Aarturos Dronkos Yasou Aarturos Dronkeros! I didn't forget I just wanted you to send me a message!  The series is called Saimdang: Memoir in Colours. One of the things that I like about it is that it really gives one an idea about Korean culture, not only historically but also in the present. What is particularly interesting, for me at least, are the "comedic" responses and slap-stick behaviour of the secondary, stock characters. 

I really know nothing about the history of Korean theatre or drama but it seems to me as if their current TV programs & productions are based on the historical treatment of characters known to the audience, similar to Italy's Commedia dell'arte or Shakespeare's comic- relief characters.  Anyway, I'll be curious to hear what you thinkMust away to have a quick shower before Lady Dar returns from her meeting and then we will watch Saimdang! Fondestos to Josinta. Cheers, Patrizzio! See ... you forgot :)! No I didn’t I was busy going to Kelowna so not high on my list. Understand that Patrick sent it to you. And I'm not as such of a fan as he is of the show. Corinne

Hi Patrizzio, Some great pics of your snowshoe trek above the Trout Creek trestle. The views look fantastic. We stayed in last night... Ran the still till 3, then hosted our upcoming month-to-month guests for a bit. Followed that with a late supper, and looked to the clock... We're looking forward to tomorrow. What can we bring in addition to beverages? Today while it was sunny I swam and ran errands in town. By the time we took our daily walk the clouds had blanketed the sky. Lovely stroll regardless. Bill 

Hi Still 'Till 3:00 pm Man! I''m sure product will be well worth your attention! I split wood for exercises and then did my full shouldares. Lady Dar is just back from her meeting at the church and she suggested, if you really wish to contribute, then a gluten-free dessert, of any sort, would be de-loverly. If this is not possible, I'd, selfishly, love some of those biscotti fabuloso! But not to worry, we can have malt for dessert! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Last Thursday, I flew from Bhuj (my last stop in Gujarat) to Mumbai. Bhuj airport is small, but there were quite a few military personnel around and I was surprised to be given the once-over by a sniffer dog on the way in. Overall, security in India is of a very high standard (and there is sometimes screening at places that one wouldn’t expect) but it seemed especially rigorous in Bhuj. 


Later, I found out the reason: it’s a military airport that now also handles some civilian air traffic. The airport is in a sensitive geographical position, being one of the closest to Pakistan. In fact, it was raided 35 times in 14 days during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. So I guess there are good reasons for security to be taken very seriously.

The flight was delayed but we did eventually get to Mumbai, an hour or so behind schedule, and I reached my hotel — the Fort Residency — about an hour after that. It was my second time in Mumbai. My first visit in 2009 was with an organized group and we were taken on a bus tour of the highlights, which was fine . . . but on this trip I was able to dig a little deeper, mostly walking. I’m amazed in retrospect by how much I was able to explore in 2.5 days. And for the most part I saw few or no other tourists at all. Here are selected highlights:
 

Colonial Heritage Walking Tour: On the afternoon that I arrived, I went on a colonial heritage walking tour with my Mumbai guide. (Unusually, it was a woman, Parvin, and she was outstanding. Her surname is Mistry, and I correctly guessed — as readers of Rohinton Mistry’s novels might also surmise — that she is Parsee).

As it happens, my hotel was located within easy walking distance of many of Mumbai’s historic buildings, including 300-year-old St. Thomas’ Cathedral, the cathedral church of the Diocese of Mumbai of the Church of North India. The two chairs in the photo below are associated with a visit in 1911 by King George V and Queen Mary. The brass plate on the first one says: “Bombay Cathedral. This chair was occupied by HIM. KING GEORGE V at Evensong on Sunday November 3rd 1911” (emphasis original). There’s a similar plate on the chair occupied by Queen Mary, while another plate on a nearby pew records that “Mother Teresa used this pew on 8-1-1983.”

Mumbai’s colonial heritage was also evident when we visited the nearby Oval Maiden, where there were several cricket games underway on Thursday afternoon. Apparently it’s PACKED with cricketers on weekends.

Crawford Market: Mumbai has many markets, one of the best-known of which is the Crawford Market, which specializes in fresh produce and pets. The pet area is huge, with thousands of birds as well as puppies, kittens, fish, rabbits, and turtles. There were many signs forbidding photography, though not everywhere, and I did manage to get some images. I suspect that the reason for the photo ban is to prevent animal rights activists from documenting the conditions.Also in the Crawford Market area, I saw this sign which I found amusing, though not for the usual reason of spelling and grammatical errors. (In Gujarat, I was momentarily baffled by a “Bamp Ahed” sign until I noticed that it included a graphic aide indicating that it was warning of a bump in the road).

Leopold Cafe: I had lunch at the large and popular Leopold Cafe & Bar, a Mumbai icon dating back to 1871. More recently, it’s famous (or perhaps infamous) as having been one of the first sites targeted in the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks, in which at least 174 people died, mainly at the nearby Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. 10 were killed at the Leopold Cafe, which defiantly re-opened four days later, only to be closed down again after two hours as a safety measure on the recommendation of police as the crowds were so huge. Quite a few bullet holes can still be seen, as in the second image below.
Lalbagh Market:This was another interesting market (they’re all interesting!). 

The Lalbagh Market specializes in spices and in the photo you can see a machine in which piston-like pounders (I’m not sure what to call them) are used to grind a dry mixture of chilies, onions and other ingredients into a fine powder. 

The mixture in the first tray in the picture is at the beginning of this process. The second tray is further along.That’s my start on selected Mumbai highlights. More to come in the next post!  





No comments:

Post a Comment