Sunday 9 April 2017

100th Anniversary-Battle of Vimy Ridge Bloody Bloody Blues: Sunday, April 9th!

It’s surprising how much memory is built around things unnoticed at the time. -Barbara Kingsolver, novelist, essayist, and poet (b. 8 Apr 1955) 


Up at 6:45 am, turfed out of bed by the feline alarm clock! Not at all unhappy to be up as the coverage of the Vimy, on CBC One, is fascinating, obviously disturbing, but remarkably gripping and ever-so informative.

Hi you saucy man!! Today we motored down to Normanville, close to Victor Harbour, for a good friends 80th birthday, we lowered the average age by at least 15 years! I made a recipe that I have shared on Facebook. Cream, chocolate, butter melted together. Then layered between Oreos. Set overnight in fridge. Very sweet but very delish! Did you know that Trevor has a new car, a Jeep. Better get a bigger van! Cheers Tina

Hi Oreo Woman and Jeep Man! Great to hear about the new vehicle, Trevorino! Did you buy it in order to have a delivery van for Ms Thermomix's take-out orders? Must away as Etta and Duke are demanding breakfast! Fondestos from a lazy Lady Dar, still abed. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Remember our friend Jeff Van Geest who is the Executive Chef at Tin Horn Creek? He owned Aurora Bistro, in  Vancouver.  I met  his wife, Mel, at prenatal yoga when I was pregnant with Declan. Their son, Ronin,  is a month younger than Declan. They moved to OK Falls a few years ago. Mel and her friend Amy, owner of the winery, are having a shared 40th celebration. On my way to Nanaimo for lunch wuth my mom and granny, who is down from Vernon. Big trek for the day but I figure granny drove me to West Hawk all those years😊😊.

Hi again, Maya! Great connection indeed! If I was back, think I'd crash the 40th!!! We had a wonderful lunch at Tin Horn Creek last summer. Paul and Joan Whitney were staying there over a weekend and had invited us to join them for a meal. I cycled down to Oliver and Lady Dar drove so that I could put my bike on the car rack for return. Paul and Joan stayed with us for a few days after visiting his sister in Kelowna. Must away! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Sleepy kittens earlier today!

By the time I'd finished watching the tremendous coverage of the Vimy ceremonies, hosted by Peter Mansbridge and, historian, Tim Cook, I spent a goodly part of the later morning and early afternoon re-arranging our bed linen cabinet. Bottom section had two tubs of cleaning fluids and other like materials, stowed there since we moved in, almost two years ago! By the time I'd sorted and amalgamated and distributed the various containers to other parts of the house it was time for a bite of lunch. Made my self two sandwiches and enjoyed the break. Lady Dar returned from Oasis and an errand run with two attractive, wooden cut-out bunnies, more decorations for the Easter weekend.

Well-fueled, I suited up and after cleaning my bike chain, I set off, just after 3:00 pm. I had planned this outing as but a "stretch" ride after Saturday's 101 km push and I must admit that my legs felt pretty sluggish as I battled against the damnable South wind, 20 kph, gusting to 29 kph, as I made my way along Lakeside. At this point, I knew it was going to be a slog so I just put my head down, not really worrying about achieving a given speed, and settled into Gerbil Cage mode. As it turned out, the wind was so strong that whenever it was behind me I literally shot along and my AVG gradually inched, from 19 kph to 20.5 kph, dropping a tad or holding whenever I faced the blasts, now gusting to 37 kph, by the time I was two-thirds of way to the day's final distance. 

Furthermore, with the exertion, my muscles had had warmed up nicely and I felt more aggressive so that when I had completed the last loop and was heading for PTC I had managed o log an 21 kph AVG. Wasn't naive enough to believe I could hold this on climb up Ellis, gradual though it is, right into the head wind, but was pleased that I was able to log only a slightly lower AVG of 20.8 kph. A fair amount of hard work and not a particularly enjoyable ride, in terms of scenery, but at least I rid myself of a bit of lactic acid build-up and worked up a healthy appetite for Lady Dar's fried pork/lettuce wrap for the night's dinner! Yum Yum! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1668636344#.WOrY5mnKBb4.email

After the wonderful dinner we watched a couple of episodes of Mossad 101! Really enjoying this series, particularly as I didn't think I would after seeing first couple. Plot really thickens, so to speak, and characterization, dialogue, plot is terrific. Then we watched latest Call the Midwife and then Homefires, recording while we watched Mossad. Again, both of these two Masterpiece Theatre series are becoming even more and more engrossing, dealing with all sorts of significant social issues, (dwarfism, worker safety and lesbian love, former, and spousal abuse, adultery, latter), in very perceptive, extremely sensitive ways. As we viewed, kittens were curled up, cosy as all get-out, Etta on her favourite armchair, Duke on the blanket on the couch, fire warming us all. An evening in with our favourite four-legged, silky, cheeky, ever-so adoring and adorable feline family memebers! Hip Hip Hooray for Etta and Curious Duke!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment