Sunday 23 April 2017

Frost on the Windshield Early Bus Depot Blues: Sunday, April 23rd!

Nothing contributes so much to tranquilizing the mind as a steady purpose - a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye. -Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, author (1797-1851) 



Hi Leslie! Trust you are well. Pamela forwarded your email address to me, [Patrick, Here is Leslie's contact info. Pam. Thanks, Naramata Goil!], as you had mentioned you might be interested in playing bridge when we met on the Easter weekend. You are more than welcome to join us and please don't worry about your level. A number of people in the group feel they are beginners, as well, and, group, as a whole, is more interested in having fun, (and drinking wine!), and helping people learn the game, not that either Lady Dar and I are experts, by any stretch of the imagination.

The Wounded Amazon
Roman copy of the original by Kresilas (c. 430 BCE), Vatican, Rome
Photo: Nick Thompson
At any rate, I gather we will have two tables next week so you could simply watch, if that might be your preference, or have someone play with you/help with bidding, etc., until you feel a tad more comfortable. However, I suggest you just jump in and play to the best of your ability. If you can run a very successful winery, I'm sure it won't take you long to master the rudiments of the game and from then on, like so many other things in life, it is but a matter of time and practice.

In the past, group doesn't usually play on Fridays but this coming week is an exception, due to various conflicting schedules. We try to accommodate everyone's busy lives but there are always people away or committed to other engagements. Hence, the larger the "pool" of potential players, the easier it is to mount a game on a given date.Thus far, we have oscillated between Tuesdays and Wednesdays and it looks like Tuesdays might be the choice over the coming summer months. That isn't fixed in stone, however, as we try to determine, at the end of another rollicking evening, best time for next gathering.

 


At any rate, please think about coming whenever time and interest allow/suit. I'm happy, if you'd like, to add you to the group list so that you will be aware of arrangements for weekly game and then you can let me know if you wish to play, if only so that the host, (So far, we have  rotated between Summerland and Penticton but are more than happy to go further afield to both Naramata, [Hint! Hint!], and the far reaches of OK Falls!), will know the number of people to expect.

On another matter, Dame Judy is hosting the Book Club Lady Dar and I have stitched together, on May 1st, and she will be serving Noble Ridge wines! Not to overwhelm you with invitations but you are also welcome to join this group if you have any interest in so doing. Again, very informal, and, some would say, just another excuse to drink more wine and socialize, to hell with the book! I just returned from taking Cora Lee to the bus depot as she is travelling into Vancouver, for the next three days, to participate in the Book Club, (on Monday), she started there, about twenty-four years ago now!

Must away as I have an almost endless list of chores, prioritized by Lady Dar, I'm to have finished by the time she returns on Tuesday. Let me know what you think about bridge, books and life in general, [Your Visa card number would be great!!!], and we'll plan accordingly! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Nor sure if Naramata Goil, (as a good friend!), forwarded these snaps to you or not but just in case: Saturday, April 15th, moving day for some! Il Palazzo di Webster!


Hello Jurassic Park! I gather climate change has had a significant effect on Wildwood Park! Great snapola of T-Rex! Also enjoyed the shot of contented hands! [In this vein, not one of the earlier snaps you sent along in two messages, following Kellan's birth, were attached. If you could resend, when you have a momnet, that would be much appreciated as the two, mentioned above, arrived without problem.]

Sorry it has taken me a bit to reply but seem to have been on the run ever since Easter weekend. Weather is finally warming up and conditions allowed me to go on two of my longest rides of the year. On Good Friday I went to Oliver and back.
Map and Stats for ride:
 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1677690288#.WPFWxM2XZyk.email


Week later, this past Friday, I did much the same route but instead of going all the way to Oliver I climbed Seacrest Hill, (a very good climb in itself!), to loop back through Willowbrook and Green Lake, past See Ya Later Ranch Winery and then into OK Falls and home again, along Eastside Road into Penticton. Wind was really blowing out of the North so it was hard work on return leg, although you didn't hear me complaining on way south! Longest ride, this year, to date, so pleased at how well my legs and lungs are responding. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1690868878#.WPqokxpBsMs.email
 
Yesterday was the first Farmers' Market, on Main Street, here in Penticton. Lady Dar, however, was at Oasis United, at their Artisan Fair, with a table, [Her home-made pickled beets, ripe-tomatoe pickle and wax/wood chip fire-starters, the Martha Stewart of Penticton! She sold everything. Most of the proceeds, as you can well imagine, went to the church!], from 9 am-3 pm, so I was charged with scoping bedding plants and any other offerings that caught my fancy. 

At 5:50 am this chilly, somewhat frosty morn, I dropped Cora Lee at the bus depot, but a few blocks away, as she is travelling into Vancouver, for the next three days, to participate in the Book Club, (on Monday), she started there, about twenty-four years ago now! She will be driving back with friend there, Ragin' Bull, who is coming up, for a week or so, to help with more shelving and assorted projects! Must away now as I have an almost endless list of chores, prioritized by Lady Dar, I'm to have finished by the time she returns on Tuesday. Fondestos to you and Sally, and to T-Rex, from Etta and Duke! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics:  Martha Stewart! Start of Farmers' Market. Main Street is blocked off for three blocks, then six as summer progresses! Miss Etta guarding my riding gloves!


By the time I was home again it was just after 6:00 am so I zapped my morning java and then spent the next three hours catching up on the email that I've not been able to reply to for last few days. Took a break for breakfast at 9:00 am and then did a few household chores, playing soccer with Rambunctious Boy while I made the bed. The day before I had arranged to pick up some firewood, (Red Maple!), from friends of a hiking friend so I called them at 10:00 am to let them know I was on my way. Only about 10 minutes away, just off the intersection of Main and Skaha Lake Road. 

Ed had cut back the tree, quite heavily, last summer so the wood already had almost a year's worth of drying. The largest limbs were about as thick as my leg, from just above the knee to just above the calf and roughly 4'-5'-6' in length. The cuttings had been piled in their back yard and both Ed and Donna, his wife, very kindly helped carry the wood to the front street where I loaded it into our car. Had put the passenger seats down so have a fair bit of carrying capacity. Nevertheless, it took three trips to haul everything away. Not all the branches were the size noted above but even the smaller ones will make terrific kindling.

On my second trip the neighbour across the back lane commented on the large pile that was accumulating beside the garage. Told him that I'd just finished chopping and cutting up the relatively small branches from the oak tree, taken down next door, as well as the scrap lumber I'd salvaged from neighbour, Amanda, on other side. Told him what I couldn't use for the storage lockers Ragin Bull will help me construct next week, I'll burn so he asked me if I wanted any more! He and his son are rebuilding their front steps so he helped me carry what was beside their garage to ours. Then he showed me the work in progress at the front of the house and said any lumber they didn't want they'd leave beside their garage. Thanking him, I returned for the final load of maple.

Once that was loaded, I snapped a few pictures of Joan and Ed in front of the large maple that had donated its limbs to me and then thanked them for wonderful wood and all their help. Back home I noticed another large pile of scrap lumber beside the garage so that will be my first task tomorrow, Dear Reader! I suppose I could have carted it across the back lane but I really wanted to take advantage of the lovely day as I had decided to ride the KVR to the Little Tunnel. Haven't done this for almost a year and I wanted to scope it out again as Ragin' will be bringing his bike along as he wants to ride the KVR when here.

Had a quick sandwich and then suited up. Cleaned and oiled the chain on my Brodie as it is a far better bike for the hard-pack gravel surface of the KVR than is my Trek road bike. Left about 2:40 pm and since I knew that it was about 18 km, from our place to the LT, and I wanted to log at least 51 km for the day's outing, I made for PTC to complete one Lakeshore/Riverside Loop before catching the start of the KVR, off Pickering Street so that I could clock most of the extra, needed distance. Wind was fairly strong, out of the S at 19kph, and while it certainly helped, since the uphill grade is only between 2%-4%, for most of the way to the LT, the climb is constant but not exhausting, headwind or tail wind notwithstanding.

The views of Okanagan Lake and the surrounding hills always takes my breath away so this sort of ride is very, very enjoyable, especially since I never really fuss about my AVG, given the almost 20 km uphill pull. Trail was not especially busy but I did see a number of dog walkers and families with tykes on bikes so a most pleasant late afternoon. Almost exactly 17 km to one of the uniform, yet quite attractive, "dedication" benches dotted along the trail, just past Hillside so I calculated I probably needed to acquire approximately 4 km more, somewhere between here and the LT, to achieve my goal. Of course I could dipsy-doodle anywhere when back in town but options are much more limited off the KVR.

Wasn't really or overly concerned but just before I reached Arawana Forestry Road I took Workman Place to sneak a look at the fairly new housing development, Kettle Ridge, being constructed there. Some quite interesting, modern homes with simply spectacular views, as you can well imagine, given the situation. According to one of the signs, Stage Three is currently underway. Then back to the KVR and on towards the LT, approximately 6-7 km from AFR. At certain points, when not riding through one rail-bed cut or another or a tree tunnel, one can see the KVR curving ahead, right up to the dark, slightly menacing opening of the LT itself, carved or chiselled or blasted out of the very mountainside itself.

Found a couple, on the north side of the tunnel, cyclists as well, taking a few pictures and drinking in the spectacular views. I said hello and rode past, but only went to where the short stretch of tarmac here, ends. Propped my Brodie against a solitary pine and took a number of snaps myself. Had determined I'd stop at various points, on return leg, so as to minimize contact with The Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Reader. Few drops of rain just as I reached the LT but nothing serious and now, riding almost into the head wind, what little water had managed to wet my jacket had soon evaporated.

Must say it is rather a glorious delight to know that the rest of the ride would be all downhill so I chortled to myself as I sped along, almost effortlessly, although one needs to pay careful attention to the road surface as patches of loose gravel can easily spell disaster, especially if careening along at 25-26 kph. Furthermore, some of the drops are so precipitous that they don't bear thinking about! Not really nail-biting or nerve-fraying but it pays to keep one's wit's on high alert.

Took a quick run, on the nicely paved surface, back to Kettle Ridge, to capture a few shots from that location as I'd not been there until today and then it was full tilt boogie until I was across Naramata Road where I stopped opposite Square One, a new hops farm. By chance we met owners last year at a wine-tasting at Black Widow so I have been watching the endeavour with some interest. Looks to me, as if a number of new rows have been added, (Support poles look almost three stories high and a worker, stringing what looked like thin rope  between them was atop a fairly large cherry-picker!], so pleased to believe that the business is going well. Cannot imagine it wouldn't, given the plethora of micro-breweries around, at least four or five in Penticton alone!

Then on between vineyards which the trail runs through, at this point, soon across the small trestle and then more vineyards until one reaches the cemetery. Just about past this most serene spot when what should I see but what I took to be a fairly large pheasant, crossing the trail in front of me, about 25 m away. [I later learned that "the Ring-Necked Pheasant is the only pheasant species resident in BC, a chicken-sized game bird introduced from England and China between 1880 and 1920. The male is striking in appearance with mottled plumage, long straight tail, white neck ring and bright red wattles. The female is dull brown."] I obviously saw a male as at first I thought I'd seen a peacock, so bright was the plummage. [There are three or four of these marvellous creatures , wandering hither and yon, in Naramata Village.] At any rate, not long afterwards, I rode past another dog walker and mentioned what I'd seen and she said she had seen the pheasant as well so at least I knew I wasn't dreaming! Neither of us had seen one here before and we both commented on how lovely it was.

Not long afterward I was back at our place with precisely the distance I'd estimated, though my AVG was pretty slow. However, didn't bother me one iota as the views were too, too stunning and the pheasant sighting such a rare treat. Until then I'd been happy to see a fat little marmot scampering over some small boulders at Kettle Ridge. Life on the KVR, Dear Reader, Life on the KVR, indeed! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1695289390#.WP1dPqGCuLs.email



Had a great walk with Chloe and Robbie around Trout creek lake. At Robyn's now will watch some Netflix, have an omelette and early to bed. Meeting Kathleen for lunch tomorrow Love you, Lady Dar

Hi there to you and Lady Dar now residing in PenTEEKtawn, B.C. You must feel very fortunate to be living near the town of Nevermatters, B.C., where fine wine never ceases to flow. By the way, Jim Benzelock, who you may remember from your Isaac Brock playing days, and Ross Parke, who coached our River Heights team, have recently been inducted into Manitoba's Hockey Hall of Fame. Anyway I hope these are some of the missing "snaps" you wish to view. P.S. I'd be untrue to myself if I didn't leave you with some upbeat, +ve music. https://youtu.be/oiG-4-V7Xd0


Hi Old Farts, In the absence of Jim French, I have volunteered to organize the OF hike for this coming Thursday. The area which I have selected is the south facing grassy hillside above Findlay Creek (north end of Garnett Lake north of Summerland) where we hiked last fall. There is a secret lake at the top of the hill which will be our destination. I would like to try to drive as far as possible toward the north end of Garnett Lake before starting to hike, therefore high clearance vehicles will be required for transport to the starting point. Meet at the IGA parking lot in Summerland at 9:00 AM or for those carpooling from Penticton meet at HH at 8:40. Please let me know if you are coming. Peter 

Hello OFologists, Tomorrow we are going to explore the SW flank of Cartwright in Summerland. Tony & I will lead the hike. So, as usual, meet at the IGA in Summerland at 9:00AM, or 8:40AM at HH in Penticton then make your way to the IGA in Summerland. The usual relaxation afterwards. Look forward seeing you there! Cheers :-), Aart

No comments:

Post a Comment