Monday 17 April 2017

Lazy Day Post-Chocolate Egg Blues: Easter Monday, April 17th!

Everybody's talking about people breaking into houses but there are more people in the world who want to break out of houses. -Thornton Wilder, writer (17 Apr 1897-1975) 



 
Hi Patrick, Thanks for your card and we hope you have both had a peaceful and enjoyable Easter break. We are still in recovery mode after catching up with Wayne, Michele, Gregg and Fran in Vietnam and Cambodia. A great trip with, I have to say some drinking involved, the food was great, the scenery and the people were amazing. Oh and we had a great time catching up with everyone from Canada.

The boat cruise was our first and lived up to our expectations both in terms of comfort and service highly recommended. The various tours were both fascinating and informative about the trials and tribulations that both Vietnam and Cambodia have been through over the past thirty or forty years.

From our perspective we were the only two Aussie’s on the boat so we were slightly outnumbered by 39 Canadians and 52 Americans and it seems that there was not one American on board that actually voted for Donald Trump!!!!. Anyhow we are now probably not coming in July as we have a wedding to go to on 8 July and we invited a young English girl to visit us in July, we met her in the pool at our hotel and she was struggling financially so we thought we might help her out.

 

However we are still focussed on getting over your way in the not too distant future as part of a plan to see the inside passage. Cheers from Greg and Claire
Thank you so much for your inspiring card! Here, we have no rain, but flurries of snow, mixed with sun. We call it "April weather". Otherwise, I have just about settled in. Apart from the terror attack, an important reservation, nothing dramatic. Seeing friends and family, watching soccer, reading, tidying my place up (long overdue), waiting to play tennis. Tonight, Easter dinner at my sister and brother-in-law's.

Have tickets for the return to the Pacific. Arrival 4 July, back 2 October. Hope to see you two on the island. All the best to you and Corinne, Kjell Thank you Pat and Corinne for your lovely card and thoughts. Hope you had a good Easter - we were in Rugby. Lauren has just had a baby boy 9lbs 3oz with no drugs! Ouch! Love to all Penny and Mike xx 
Dear Patrick and Corinne, Hope you have had a restful Easter with just the right amount of Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs? Much love Tina  

Quite a glorious sleep-in until just before 9:00 am, this morning, when I crawled out of bed to zap my java. Lady Dar was reading on the couch, the felines having abandoned her to explore outside. While sun wasn't shining and sky looked a bit threatening, forecast suggested showers would hold off until 5:00 pm. This being the case I did a few kitchen chores and then around 12:30 pm I fueled up on some of the delish double-baked cauliflower, suited up and took off just after 1:00 pm. Once again, wind was out of the N but blowing a bit more, than yesterday, at 13 kph. This being the case I decided it was going to be the Merry-Go-Round Gerbil Cage Loop. Since I've started using this as a basic ride I've increased the mini-Hamster loop off Power, to 12 rounds for one complete GCL. By the time I'd completed three of these I had logged close to 52 km so I added a couple of dipsy-doodles off Westminster to Burnaby so that I would have exactly 56 km on the clock when I hit Riverside for the last time. I simply didn't have enough time to log 61 km yesterday so I wanted do that distance today.

Felt great to be steaming home, up Ellis, with wind at my back and was able to hold the AVG I'd achieved along Lakeshore until I was at the garage door. No rest for the wicked once there as I was immediately seconded by Lady Dar. Had to help her put the cover back on the gazebo. We'd had it off, over the winter, and it had been decided, by She Who Must Be Obeyed, that it was time to put it back. Loads of help from both Etta and Duke. Rambunctious Boy, in particular, was up on the fence, directing my moves while I balanced on the step-ladder!   
Cheers!
Map and Stats for ride:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1683611074#.WPVZD2vadLk.email

Patriçio, It appears all involved are operating on all thrusters, so if you pass on Lady Dar’s temporary lower mainland emporium address, I will arrive there at noon on the 25th, dressed in my finest chauffeur's costume. I might even have time to vacuum the car this week!  ==================== Now to business. ==================== The “smaller/lighter” worktable afore mentioned is a piece of cake. Plans are in my head. I only need the surface dimensions and height off the ground. The entertainment centre. Bit more challenging. Here is an option. I built this unit for digitizing my vinyl some time ago. Turntable on the top; compartments for components underneath. Mine even had room for the printer.
A second unit … as you see I am proposing two, yes two, independent units.

As you insist on easy access to your vinyl, I propose a shelf unit, just like at the old record stores, where you can stand up (not bend over and a wreck your back) and browse your collection.

These two units would fit in the corner, next to your malt cabinet and under the shelves, leaving room for the lamp in the corner. The advantage of two units is flexibility. Corner units suck, they just have dead // hard to access space in the corner. Top down, it would look like this.
=================================== Your mission =====
You may recall, I highly recommend glue-lam pine planking for this sort of endeavor. If you are even thinking plywood, take a cold shower, run head first into a brick wall and no sex for a month. 

The glue-lam - that is laminated pine planking, comes in two flavors. i) shrink wrapped, beautifully finished, in various lengths and widths. ii) The “lower grade” stuff I have only seen in 12” x 8’ - but it is still very nice, smooth and if you plan to stain it or paint it to match your existing furniture, this is it.

We will also need some nicely finished. not more than 1/4” thick, (preferably thinner) strips to cover the screws and match the style of your existing cabinets (which are really nice). Then, it’s just a matter of the right stain to blend it all in.
I can find the stripping here, but I can’t haul the planks over, so you will have to find a source for the glue-lam. Probably Home Depot in Kelowna, if nowhere in Penticton. (I get mine at the Home Depot here) If we have to go to Kelowna for supplies, that might be a great chance for Lady Dar to play driver and leave us to cycle back along the KVR after shopping. If the timing is realistic. SOOOoo Looking forward to building, bridging, cycling, … and of course the amusements offered by a Penticton night club of dubious virtue. ttfn//bjp  Branko Peric No habrá paz para los malvados Hi NASCAR Chauffeur and Shelf Designer Extraordinaire!!! Thanks so very much for all the wonderful sketches and endless list of things I must needs attend to before your roaring into town arrival! Most certainly appreciated BUT Lady Dar has had a change of heart, (not with respect to hitch-hiking with you!), but with location of aforementioned shelving! It has now been decreed that unit will be in the Rumpus Room, as opposed to the Living Room as we had discussed on your last visit. In fact, I think this will make things "easier" inasmuch as there will not be a corner involved, just straight shelving along the inside wall, from the steps towards the door.

That being said, I do like your suggestion regarding Vinyl storage. At Hotel Kits I simply had a strip of edging along two bottom shelves so that records sloped towards the back and it was possible to browse through them quite readily. However, having them at a higher level will make for even easier rifling. Furthermore, there are a number of electrical outlets on this wall which are about three feet off the floor so perfect for stereo components. 

With respect to glue-lam, both types are available at Rona, at least last time you were in town. I will check on stripping but I cannot imagine it will not be available here. There is also a Windsor Plywood in town for more specialty items, should they be required and not available at either Home Hardware or Rona. Second work table/bench can be the same as one you designed and built on your first visit. I would like as and outdoor work surface for both gardening and bike maintenance, as well as for using it with chop saw and other power tools when necessary. I imagine I will leave it outside all year round, beneath large window at the end of the Rumpus Room or around the side of the house where it is even more protected from the elements. Will depend on how much room there remains there after the storage cabinets, for bikes, I hope we have time to construct after shelving. 
In the next few days I will be "decanting" the large storage units on the other side of the house and dismantling them. If any of the lumber is re-usable, I would like to build the "new" storage lockers from whatever can be salvaged but will purchase more material as required. These units will be locked to keep my two Brodies and Lady Dar's "chariot" out of sight and protected from the elements. I hope to so arrange them that such things as my large aluminum ladder and other assorted garden tools can be stored above, perhaps by extending back posts of lockers above roof level of units so that a cross piece can be affixed, with hooks for hanging "stuff" on. 

I will attach a number of snaps of Rumpus Room wall and outside wall so you will have a better idea of spaces involved. Given your expertise, I don't think you need worry about coming up with any more drawings as these projects are pretty simple and straightforward, (For you, not me!), and we can refine some of the details, on site. Lady Dar and I will take some measurements for the shelving and before you arrive I will collect my second Brodie from Peter's garage, where it has been for last two years, so that we can measure exact height storage unit needs to be to accept easy handling for storage purposes.
Thanks again. Chat soon. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Rumpus Room; Outside wall; garlic and rhubarb!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment