Saturday 22 April 2017

Oasis Artisan Fair & First Farmers Market Blues: Saturday, April 22nd!

It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them. -J. Robert Oppenheimer, theoretical physicist (22 Apr 1904-1967) 




Hi Naramata Goil! I will be heading to The Shatford to the Market. Lady Dar, however, will be at Oasis, with a table, [Her home-made pickled beets, ripe-tomatoe pickle and wax/wood chip fire-starters, the Martha Stewart of Penticton!], at their Artisan Fair, 9-3 pm, 2964 Skaha Lake Road, so I'm charged with scoping bedding plants and any other offerings that catch my fancy. I'm dropping her off at Oasis at 8:30 am and then have a few errands to run so I assume i"ll be there around 10:00 am, or so. Home after that so you and Change the World Meggster are welcome to pop by for a java if you'd like. Cheers, Patrizzio! My apologies Patrick. I haven't checked my email until just now. Happily we ran into each other at the market👍😊 Pam

 

Sylvana's Flowers!
Hi all, Jos are you playing tennis on Wednesday night? If so, everyone is welcome at my house for Bridge this Tuesday. Let me know if this works and we'll see you soon. Hugs, Olly Hi Olly, Tuesday night would be great, yes, tennis has started on Wednesday nights, and I hope we can stick to Tuesdays for the Summer. Patrick, our only true coordinator will decide wisely I trust. I hope to see all at Olly's on Tuesday. Jos

Hello Summeria, et al! Thanks for offering to host, Olga Polga, but Lady Dar and I are unable to play this coming Tuesday so that is why I "declared" that bridge, at least for us, would be on Friday. If there is enough interest for Tuesday, please go ahead, obviously. However, should anyone wish to join us for another game on Friday, at our place, you are more than welcome. As far as I know, Jack Rabbit, Phillipo, Justicia and Ragin' Bull, our friend from Vancouver, will be playing, so it would be grand if we had at least one more player. [In this vein, Naramata Goil, could you ask Leslie if she might be interested. Thanks!] Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Olly, I thought Patrick had sent out an email to do bridge on Friday of this coming week? Phi Ohhh you are right; so sorry. Patrizzio, we'll see you at your place Friday then. Thanks Phil for the heads up. Hugs, Olly fyi...My bad cos I didn't click 'reply to all' so only Olly saw my response (ie as per the email string below). Hope this helps clarify?? Phil Hi Friday Evening Card Sharps! Thanks for clarification, Phillipo. With Olga Polga now joining the bridge fray, we have seven for sure so two tables are on. Jos and/or Michaelo, will you be joining us? Any time after 6:30 pm, the bridge weekend begins. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Patrick, Thank you for the invitation, but Friday is my last day before the trip, so I will be quite busy. However, if there is room available at the table I could join the players on Tuesday. Regards. Mike Sorry my dear Bridge folks, I can no longer do Bridge on Tuesday night so we will see you on Friday night at Patrizzio's. Hugs, Olly Hi Michaelo and Pretty Polga! Sorry you cannot join us on Friday, Peru-Bound Boy! Have a wonderful time and travel safely. Great that you will join us, Rolly Polly. Bon Voyage, Michaelo and see you on Friday, for two tables, Olga Polga. Cheers, Patrizzio!




Hi, Patrick and Corinne: I hope this finds you well. It is almost May, and I am percolating the idea of a summer visit. With your indulgence, I am hoping that such a summer trip can be an annual event! It would seem to be a good idea to start by comparing calendars. From my part, starting from about mid-June: Canada Day weekend unlikely. I have a house guest from August 3-9. Sandy and her family are visiting sometime in mid-late August. I have a firm departure date for Berlin/Poland (leaving September 3, returning September 22)

I would be planning to travel to Kelowna using Aeroplan points again, which constrains the possibilities a bit as well. Last summer, I was off work for quite awhile and it wasn't difficult to find dates. This year, if I try to align a trip to Penticton with my regular days off, the availability is somewhat limited. But we'll see! I do have a few stat days-in-lieu that I might be able to apply.

If your summer plans and Aeroplan availability seem to preclude the possibility of a summer visit, then perhaps I can pop up sometime in the late Fall / early Winter (early Christmas visit?) which has its own appeal.

One other possibility that might open up the prospects a bit is that Greg and his family often travel to the Okanagan (Kelowna) in the summer and I might be able to hitch a ride with them one or both ways. Though I have no idea when they might be making such a trip or how close their route goes to Penticton (my conceptual geography of the area and its road connections being quite non-existent!)

Meanwhile, I believe that I heard something about a prospective visit by you to the Lower Mainland in May, and indeed, that Patrick might drop by to scope my Fluid Alu Trainer. I hope to see you then, and if we can have a full visit, so much the better, although I appreciate that you usually have quite a few commitments when you are in town.

As for my news . . . the pilot is off on his new career trajectory, currently training in the simulator in Toronto, and in due course to be based in THOMPSON, MANITOBA, with uncertain prospects of when his next visit will be. But he was out here five times between the New Year and mid-March, so I'm trying to take a cup-half-full view of the whole situation.

I'm also quite excited to -- at long last -- have embarked on renovations. The first stage (new kitchen countertops and sink) was recently completed and I'm very happy with the results. Next up: customized kitchen and bathroom cabinet inserts and new kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors. And then: rip out the bathtub and replace with a walk-in shower.

This all comes following a realization that there is no way that I could afford to upgrade to a two-bedroom apartment, especially in this crazy market. I pretty much like everything about my little condo (especially the location) -- except the limited space. Even that isn't generally an issue, except when I have house guests, which isn't so often. Bottom line: I have decided to invest in improvements and upgrades, which will include maximizing storage, and which at the end of the day -- even if I really blow the wad -- will be much less expensive than spending a vast sum (minimum $150,000 and probably more like $250,000) while incurring a new mortgage simply to add a second bedroom which I don't actually need most of the time.

Speaking of house guests, I recently had Dan here for 8 nights. He was supposed to stay for 2, before going up to his recreational property on Nelson Island. But when he got up to Madeira Park, there was a water-taxi problem and he couldn't get there. So back he came. I must say that in some respects he is a low-maintenance house guest (camps in a sleeping bag on the living-room floor) and also that he was helpful in some practical ways, particularly in the aftermath of my first-stage renovations. However, Dan is also eccentric and it wasn't a "smooth glass table" having him here, in my small space, for all that time. In fact, we had a huge fight at one point, and he was actually carrying his stuff out and planning to sleep in the truck for the night. But we patched it up and he left on good terms the following morning.

And work . . . it continues to be a struggle. The same enduring issues! However, I have recently had enormous success introducing genealogy programming at Dunbar. As well, I recently contacted the B.C. Muslim Association and arranged for an imam to present a program on "Islam at a Glance." I was worried that no-one would come, but I am pretty sure that it was actually a record-breaker for adult programs at Dunbar. There were 69 people wedged into the children's area (well beyond fire code). One of the imam's associates from the mosque donated cash for refreshments (it was over the dinner hour) and altogether, it was a very successful event, notwithstanding some highly animated discussion during the Q+A. ("Animated" is fine, but rudeness is another thing, as far as I'm concerned.)

Well, that's about the extent of my news for now, but I look forward to hearing back from you and to planning a visit sometime (relatively) soon. Love, Janet
 

No comments:

Post a Comment