Monday 10 April 2017

Rain, Rain Go Away Blues: Monday, April 10th!

Joy is the best makeup. -Anne Lamott, writer (b. 10 Apr 1954)

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. If you believe that, you haven’t been hit by the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary

Master Duke was the perfect alarm clock again this foggy morn so I was out of bed at 7:15 am. Once I'd let the early cats out the front door, I zapped my java and readied their crunchies and pumpkin, to await their return and then went to check the weather report. 

Just as I suspected, it was going to be a soggy day, (Not to mention the rest of the week, Dear Reader!), so I decided I would not go hiking today. Quite disappointed, I might say, as this was to be my first hike since having my hip replaced last September. Aside from the fact that it looked like it would be a fairly miserable outing, I didn't want to be slip-sliding away on the probably slippery footing, given how wet the hills were likely to be. 

At any rate, plenty of tasks to attack so think I'll start working on sorting out the garage in preparation for Ragin' Bull's visit, in a few weeks. He will be driving up on April 25th, for a week or so, to help with a number of shelf building projects we have planned. As well, need to decant and then dismantle the storage cupboards on the south side of the house as I intend use some of the lumber from them to construct a number of bike storage sheds on the opposite side of the house which is far more sheltered from the elements.

Hey Patrick. Haven't seen you at the Sowts whiskey tastings. Have you been
to the tastings at all? Sounds like you enjoy the odd dram or two. We know Kevin also.
Hi SOWTS Man! Yes, in fact, Lady Dar and I attended the St Patrick's Day tasting and had a blast. When I picked up the malt, on Saturday, Dame Judith and Kevinator treated me to two snorts of malt, one a Scapa Skiren and and the other a Glenmorangie, an 18 year old, both absolutely delightful and lip-smacking delish! Give me a shout when weather cooperates and let's talk about a ride. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Dame Judith and Kevin! Just a quick note to thank you both for the wonderful, wonderful drams, both absolutely delightful and lip-smacking delish!Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Your future charges! You are so welcome. A pretty lousy day. We attended Ian's funeral this morning. Over 120 people in the little Anglican Church. It was quite a send off. heading over there for dinner. The charges look like they are behaving. Dame Judith

Hi Old Farts, This Thursday, let’s scale Mount Keogan. We will: -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware north parking lot in P’ton (0840 at IGA in S’land) -carpool and drive to the trailhead at Mahoney Lake -hike from Mahoney Lake to the summit area of Mount Keogan and return -meet afterward for debriefing and coffee



This should be a fairly gentle hike.  I have no plans to lengthen the hike by going beyond the summit area.  If anyone wishes to, that is entirely up to them.

I would appreciate a reply  from you if you are intending to join us.  We may have to limit numbers! Please plan on a full day’s hike.  I cannot guarantee what time we will return. The weather forecast for Thursday is for clouds and showers.  Make sure you dress appropriately! I will likely be missing the next 3 Thursdays after this week.  If anyone wishes to take the reins, I would appreciate it.  I will gladly supply you with a copy of the contact list. Cheers, Jim

Orpheus and Euridice
Art: Joseph Paelinck (1781-1839)
Safe travels Jos and Aart. You'll be missed Jos. Patrizzio and Corrine, thank you for the dinner invite. You both are very kind and the meals always are most delicious but I will not be able to join you two on Wednesday as I am meeting up with a girlfriend for a quick bite before I go to Bridge. I'll see you all Wednesday! Hugs, Olly Hi Olga Polga! Thanks for letting us know. Glad you are meeting a friend. However, you are always welcome, in future, if circumstances allow. See you domani. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Wow! 100+ what a ride! I did only 40+ on Sunday, and my rear end is still screaming. Cheers Mike Hi Michaelo! I'll make sure to have plenty of cushions on the chairs, at both tables, tomorrow! If sun cooperates and shines tomorrow, I'm hoping/planning to ride to Oliver as I've not done this particular route so far this year. Cheers, Patrizzio! This will make you laugh. :)) R. Hi Robert! If you had been the first out of the café you would have been able to afford to make the trip to Fest! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, The bike is squeaking. Did you have it parked outside at all? Please advise, Thanks! Jos & Aart Hi Aarturo! I did call as soon as I read your message. No, the bike was never outside but in our Rumpus Room for the entire duration of the time I had it here. 

I'm sorry that you didn't realize we were coming to return the bike. As I mentioned, I did phone beforehand. Nevertheless, to be quite frank, you seemed so upset with our arrival that I did not wish to add to your stress, with coming trip, etc., I assume, that I did not want to tell you, at that very moment, that I had taken the bike to Freedom, before returning it.
 
Towards the end of February it started to squeak so I asked my neighbour across the back lane what he thought might be wrong. [He is a very handy chap.] After he took a cursory look at it he looked at it he thought the housing would need to come off in order to see what was causing the noise. That being the case, since I was back riding outside by then, I talked to Freedom if they could take a look at it. Chap I spoke to said they could but it would not be a priority. 

Once I was able to coordinate with Guillermo, who had been away, on hols, when I first called, he very kindly came by and we delivered it to Freedom. Shop called yesterday to say they had done what they could to address squeaking. Since this is not their area of expertise they were reluctant to "tear" it down completely, worried about damaging  some of the plastic clips, etc., so limited inspection to greasing/oiling, as I was told. Nick, chap I dealt with, said that the technicians thought that perhaps a belt might need to be replaced. Norm, in his cursory look, thought that perhaps a bearing, somewhere.
 
Anyway, they didn't really have the space to store it for next few weeks so that is why I decided it would be best to return it yesterday. I'm terribly sorry that things turned out as they did and apologize again for not letting you know what had transpired, yesterday. I can only reiterate that it was never my intention not to relate the history of these events. Since having access to the bike helped my rehabilitation, immeasurably, I am more than grateful for the extended use of the machine and am certainly prepared to pay for any further repairs that you deem necessary.


When you are back, or earlier, via email, if you have access, please get in touch and we can discuss how you would like to proceed. Until then I trust your trip goes well. Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment