Saturday 31 March 2018

Anarchist and Aeolus Blues: Saturday, March 31st

Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -Flannery O’Connor, writer (25 Mar 1925-1964) 

Without our feline alarm clocks we all slept in until just before 9:00 am. Chloë, in particular, loves being on holiday, as she is often up at 4:00 am, assaulted by El Diablo, pestering her to be let out! Gang went walking into town and after I didgitated and enjoyed a hearty breakfast of overlefts from last night's fabulous dinner, I will suit up, ready to "attack" Anarchist Mountain, just on or doorstep!

Hello Fellow Riders!

Ski, meet Liisa, Liisa meet Ski! Trust you are both well. I'm sending this to you both as you are my favourite riding companions, both plucky and always up for a cycling adventure, never whining, [like so many others!], even if Ski is not as comfortable on roads as is Big City Girl! Missed you at Dram Come True, Liisa, so true you will visit us this summer/fall. I gather you are returning to Cape Breton, Ski, today or tomorrow. Travel safely and regards to the Great Ronaldo. Did enjoy a number of rides after you left and before making for Spirit Ridge yesterday. Have included account of ride for everyone's reading pleasure! Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to you both, and rest of gang.  Chloë and I are off to the hot tub/steam room to cleanse our pores before more wine-tasting this afternoon. Happy Easter to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Arrivederci Duke and Etta; poolside at Spirit Ridge; wine tasting at Adega and Nk'Mip.

Hello Sheep Lovin' Man and Alarmed Donna Florida!

Trust you are both well and enjoying the Easter Weekend. Glad you enjoyed the last card but must say I'm a tad worried about Vinnie's apparent predilection for the dancin' lambkins! Almost a good thing that California is experiencing a drought as I cannot even begin to contemplate what might develop if you owned a pair of Wellingtons! Weather has been improving, warming up, albeit slowly, and have enjoyed a number of rides, of late. Fortunately, for me, yesterday dawned one of the most glorious since Spring officially arrived, just in time for my trek on my Trek, to Osoyoos and Life of the Rich and Famous, (not us, unfortunately), at Spirit Ridge!Spirit Ridge or Bust!

Didn't go to bed until 1:00 am, this morning, by the time I'd sent as many messages as my drooping eyelids would allow. Duke cooperated by not insisting he and Etta be let out until 5:00 am. I opened the cat door at this time and wasn't bothered again, until 7:05 am, when Duke bounded onto the bed, announcing it was time for breakfast. Happy to have had as much uninterrupted sleep as I had enjoyed, I was happy to comply and fed him his ration of pumpkin and he licked his plate clean. Etta did the same when she came inside. Left their crunchies in their bowls and they seemed quite pleased with this arrangement, stopping for a bite whenever they came in over the course of the morning. 

I digitated until about 8:45 am and then zapped tasty overlefts for breakfast. While I munched, I filled my camel pack with the few things I wanted to take down with me and then went next door to chat with Amanda about the care and feeding of our the felines while we were at Spirit Ridge. She and her daughter, Kayla, have often looked after Duke and Etta while we and/or Chloë have been away for  a few days. Was ready to roll by 10:11 and after wishing both Duke and Etta a Happy Easter weekend, I made for Government. AccuWeather forecast suggested that the wind was out of the SSW at 15 kph. Yesterday's prognostication was for the wind to be out of the North but I knew, in my heart of hearts that this prediction would not come true since I was going to be riding South. 

Now, of course, according to Whirlygig's Law, [The cyclist's equivalent of Murphy's Law, "You will always be riding into a head wind whichever direction you choose!",I would be bucking it all, or most of the way, to Osoyoos. Still, I couldn't really complain as last time I rode this route, with Lovely Liisa, last August, it was an ever fiercer head-wind, steady at between 30-40 kph, gusting to over 60 kph! On one stretch, along Skaha Lake, a very exposed section at water level, I had to stand up and could only barely move, on my carbon-fibre Trek! Poor Liisa was riding my twice as heavy Brodie so her struggle was far, far more difficult. Fortunately she was only going as far as Tinhorn Creek, [to stay in Luxury! Sheer Luxury, with Joan and Paul], just outside of Oliver but it took me over six hours to reach Osoyoos, for what should, ordinarily, have been but a 3-3.5 hour ride.

Sun was shining and it was pleasantly warm, at 9º C, so I set off with high hopes. As I made my way along South Main I was pleasantly surprised to find that the wind was more of a cross-wind and I only really felt significant resistance whenever Eastside Road snaked in a westerly direction. Made it to OK Falls and past Tickleberry's by about 11:15 am, almost exactly 20 km, so I knew I was riding at just under 20 kph, something I had certainly not expected at the outset. More surprises awaited as I made my way towards Gallagher Lake and I whizzed along, for much of the time between 25 kph to 33 kph! This filled me with a great deal of hope for the rest of the ride as I knew, from past experience, that if the wind direction remained the same I would most certainly have a true tail-wind on the run from Oliver to Osoyoos.

Was on Main Street in Oliver by about five minutes past noon so I knew I was above my basic 20 kph AVG and climbing! Few moments of doubt as I rode the rolling stretch out of town as the wind was fierce as fierce could be. Even though it was mostly a cross-wind my progress was considerably slowed while roadside hanging signs were flying sideways and I rode through clouds of dust, swirling from the vineyards and orchards along the way. However, once past turnoff for Tinhorn Creek I was swinging the world by the tail and literally raced along at above 30 kph, more or less, all the way to Osoyoos, only dropping below 20 kph on the slight hill before the outskirts to the town. 

I had told Lady Dar that I expected to arrive at Spirit Ridge between 2:00 pm- 3:00 pm but as the resort came into view, on my left, as I traversed the bench leading to Osoyoos it was around 12:40pm so I felt I would be there shortly after 1:00 pm given remaining distance. Only concern I had was how difficult it would be to maintain any speed once I turned of highway to make my way up the slight climb to Spirit Ridge. More importantly, I would then be heading right into the wind and what had been hurtling me along would than be slamming me backwards. Turned out not to be quite as bad as I had feared. Although run to hill was a bit of a battle the grade itself actually shielded me from the worst of the gusts and I reached the outside parking area at 1:10 pm! Hip Hip Hooray!

Pulled up at reception to obtain a key to our unit and then stopped at the pool to say hello to the gang, swimming or sitting on deck chairs, enjoying the sunshine, although the wind made it a tad coolish. Once in the suite I changed into my swimming togs and then plugged in my odometre to see what my AVG had been. Was more than chuffed to see it was 23.1 kph! Had dreamed, hoped it would be above 22 kph so was elated with result, especially after last year's ordeal. Think it might well be the best AVG for any of my rides here and certainly brings home the degree to which wind plays in determining the outcome of a given ride. I've always maintained that climbs, steep or gradual, often pale in comparison to the challenges Aeolus is wont to throw in the faces of his opponents. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: 




Ready to share my ride with the others I skipped over to the pool, high as a kite, to join the gang. After we visited for a bit I plopped into the hot tub to soothe my hard-working leg muscles and then spent more time in the steam room, cleansing my pores for the coming wine-tasting excursion. Decided to drive to Adega, just outside the resort gates as it was past 4:00 pm by the time everyone was ready and winery closes at 5:00 pm. I had never been there before, nor had Chloë. Lady Dar and Clan Sutherland had been there last August when I was battling the hurricane forces. A few weeks ago, now, Sarge had opened their Syrah and I had been msot impressed with it so was anxious to taste more of their offerings. Unfortunately, I really did not like any of their whites, at all, and the Syrah was certainly not the knock-out I'd tasted at Harbour Terrace. The 2015 Cab Franc, 17.2%, (!), was the best for my palette and I ended up buying it and the aforementioned 2013 Syrah, 15.5%, to give it a chance. Back to Spirit Ridge to go into Nk'Mip Cellars, the winery belonging to the resort. I have always liked their product and was not disappointed this time either. The 2016 Riesling, 12.5%, was wonderful, (clean and crisp with just the right amount of acidity), as well as the lower end 2015, Syrah, Talon, 14.5%, with far more fruit and structure than the 2013 Adega Syrah. 


Without our feline alarm clocks we all slept in until just before 9:00 am this morning. Chloë, in particular, loves being on holiday, as she is often up at 4:00 am, assaulted by El Diablo, pestering her to be let out! Gang went walking into town around 9:45 am and after I didgitated for a bit, I enjoyed a hearty breakfast of overlefts from last night's fabulous dinner, ribs and stuffed chicken breasts done on the bbq, with cauliflower/broccoli mash and roasted spudolinos, along with Flamin's tasty mixed salad.

After gang returned from their walk, Chloë and I went to hot tub/steam room to cleanse our pores before more wine-tasting this afternoon. First stop was at Bartier Brothers, off Black Sage Road, a relatively new winery which opened but three years ago. Could not have been more delighted. All of their wines are extremely well-crafted and their reds elegant indeed. Ended up joining their wine club, so impressed were we. Lady Dar bought their 2106 Semillon, (I certainly approved with its appealing forward hint of lemon and bright acidity!), and 2015 Merlot but I opted for the 2015 Obrigado, a flinty Chardonnay with hints of grapefruit and lime, along with the 2015 Cab Franc, sensational fruit and velvety tannins, and 2016 Syrah, wonderful blackberry up-front and and white pepper on the finish.

Next stop at CC Jentsch as Clan Sutherland had never been before. Another "must" as their wines are superb, but higher end ones are pricey. Second wine club of the day for Clan Sutherland so impressed were they. Chloë even bought two bottles, the 2016 Quest and the 2014 Chase, their lower-end, white and red, repsectively, but unbelievable value at under $20. I did the same but added the 2015 Syrah as it is a divine gang-buster! Their Small Lots series are quite remarkable but weigh in at just under $50 so I will drink the Sutherland's as I introduced them to winery!

On to Bordertown, just on the outskirts of Osoyoos, a place none of us had ever visited before. For my taste wines were uninspired, just below mediocre, if that, although they have a surprising, rare varietal, Grüner Veltliner, being one of its few producers in the Okanagan. I took two botttles, being taken with its aromas of pineapple, peach and honey, finished off with a tinge of minerality. Back to our home away from home to unload day's haul. Lady Dar and Chloë are already over at Clan Sutherland's suite as we will have dinner there tonight, busy decorating Easter eggs with the grandchildren. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to you both. Happy Easter and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Poolside at Spirit Ridge; wine tasting at Adega and Nk'Mip yesterday. Today's outing at Bartier,
[Most recent "find"!], and then CC Jentsch!
Happy Easter to all our friends and loved ones! May the marvellous awakening
of Spring bless everyone. Fondestos and Cheers from Lady Dar, Chloë and Patrizzio! Happy Easter, Zircon Grinch! Love and Fondestos, Lady Dar, Chloë and Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment