Tuesday 20 March 2018

Ski Chants The KVR/Kettle Ridge Ice and Snow Blues: Monday, March 19th!

I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech-tree, or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862) 


Anyone available to play tomorrow? We'll host if no-one else wants to. see you Gill I can play! Jos Hi, I can play and I can host as well. Hugs to all, Olly Hi Giliana et al! Thank you for offering to host. We can play tomorrow but if game is on we will bring along our good friend, Ski, (aka Rhoda), visiting from Cape Breton. One of us will coach her, if that is fine with everyone. She would love to learn a bit of bridge and meet some of our friends and I know you would enjoy her personality. So count us in for two seats tomorrow evening. We will have room for two hitch-hikers should anyone want to car pool. If Tuesday is not on, Lady Dar cannot play on Wednesday but I can as Ski leaves that morning.

[What is the preference for Tuesday or Wednesday??? I'm busy all day Tuesday during the day but okay evening. Phil and I could do Wednesday too??  I'll do which ever day is best for majority. thanks, Olly Both days work for me. Jos
I can play either nite šŸ˜Šwud be happy to hitch hike a ride Patrick! Judy] 
We are just back from a gorgeous ride on the KVR, only as far as Arawana as still a fair bit of snow on trail beyond the picnic area. We took a ride around the Kettle Ridge development, there, and Ski took a bit of tumble as she veered off into a crust of snow by the side of the road and fell over. Fortunately, not hurt as snow, though but a thin layer, actually cushioned her fall, to a certain extent. I think it was an excuse to have me pour her a couple of snorts of malt when we were back home! Let gang know about game and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Pics: Dinner last night! KVR here we come! Arawana and then stunning view from Kettle Ridge. Which way is up? Not a single ripple on the mirrored surface of the lake. Ski and Patrizzio in front of Terravista's vineyards.

Lady Dar was up and away to volunteer at Soupateria before 8:30 am this morning, leaving Ski and I to  fend for ourselves. We did just fine with java and boiled eggs and visited for the entire morning, having so much to catch up on. With one thing and another we weren't suited up and ready to ride until just before 1:00 pm. Sun was shining but I told Ski to dress warmly as I knew when cloud cover hit and/or sun started to go down, things would cool off considerably. Anyway, I started off ride taking her down Ellis to PTC and then along Lakeshore to Riverside. 
 
Once there we rode by the Community Centre and SOEC just to give her a better idea of the town. Then we made for the start of the KVR off Pickering. She had walked this part as far as Vancouver Ave with Chloƫ and Lady Dar on Sunday evening, shortly after she arrived. However, once we were beyond this intersection she was dazzled by the views, across the lake, from near the cemetery, and then, again, when we rode through the vineyards below Naramata Road. She kept exclaiming, "I feel like I'm in France!"

Crossing Naramata Road the climb is slightly more uphill and by the time trial had leveled off, somewhere above Laughing stock, she stopped to takeoff both her outer jacket and gloves as she was toasty and starting to overheat. We continued on and I pointed out the various sights, wineries and such on our side of the lake, Trout Creek and Giant's Head on the west. Too much snow on trail past Arawana and the picnic area there so I suggested we not risk it. Glad I did as instead we took a ride around the Kettle Ridge development, on the access road right there, and Ski took a bit of tumble as she veered off into a crust of snow on the shoulder and fell over. Fortunately, not hurt as snow, though but a thin layer, actually cushioned her fall, to a certain extent. [In truth, Dear Reader, I think it was an excuse to have me pour her a couple of snorts of malt when we were back home!] Back on her bike, unscathed, we rode to the end of the development and we stopped to allow her to enjoy the stunning views. Then we rode back towards Arawana but took another, higher service road I'd not been on before, part of the Phase Three development. No construction here yet, other than infrastructure, but still interesting to see what is going on. Before we started back down I suggested she put her shell back on along with double gloves. The sun had disappeared behind thick cloud cover and I knew the wind, generated by the speed of our descent, would be chilling. It was but since we were prepared it wasn't terribly uncomfortable. Stopped for a few snaps below Terravista's vineyards and then downhill almost all the way home.


I deserted Ski on Pickering as I wanted to log another 10 km or so as we'd only done about 40 km by then. She was happy to go back and do some yoga so we waved goodbye. I dipsy-doodled down Pickering to Abbott and did a few hill runs there before making for Government. Wanted to see how the shoulders were and was pleased to find they had been swept, so pretty clean for most of the way right up to Dawson where I turned around and returned home. When I was back inside Ski told me that she had just gained access herself. 

We both thought Lady Dar would be home but she had left a little bit before Ski was back on Burns, having had to take Duke to the SPCA to make sure his eyes were fine. Chloƫ insisted he had a film of some sort over them and was worried he was going blind. Vet assured Lady Dar he was in more than fine fettle, although he gripped the edges of the examination table with his claws when a rectal thermometer was inserted! Even then he never fussed so Lady Dar was quite impressed with his behaviour and demeanour! Plucky Lad! Grand inaugural cycling outing for Ski, in spite of slight mishap! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2566521687#.WrBb2qVALLM.email

Hello All! With Judy Blue in we have seven players. Olga Polga and Gilliana decide, between the two of you, who will host tomorrow and we'll plan accordingly. Either way, Judy Blue can hitch with us! Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Patrick, As always you and Corinne never have a dull moment. That is exciting to be doing renovations/additions to your home. We will have to come and visit again and check it out. When is Chloe’s place ready? Not much new here. Had a friend over for dinner tonight and he actually provided the meat - marinated venison that Gerry said was delicious. I find meat hard to eat and could only do a couple of bites.
 

We went skiing again today but the light was so flat which makes it hard to see what you are skiing on so we only did one run. Yesterday we drove about 70 km towards Rupert as the oolichans are coming up the Skeena. There are seals and sea lions diving for them plus thousands of sea gulls. I will try and send you a few pictures tomorrow. It is quite a sight to see. And that dear Patrick is about it. Thank you for the St. Patrick’s Day card - always a treat to receive those cards. Cheers, Dawn 

Hello Ski Bums!! Glad you enjoyed the slopes and the card! Venison is one of our favourite wild meats, along with Elk. The running of the oolichans up the Skeena with the seals, sea lions and gulls must have been quite a spectacular sight indeed! With respect to proposed renovation, contractor has not been in touch yet. Hope it will be soon as I'm off to Europe for three months, on April 16th, and would like to finalize cost, etc., before I leave, otherwise who knows what Lady Dar's cost-overruns will be!.

All the best to you, Donna Maria and Heraldo. Please be in touch about a visit as we'd love to see you both, especially in your Fancy Smancy Airstream. Our property value goes up with it parked in front! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Patrick, Last Saturday, I went to Savannah, Georgia to see the St. Patrick’s Day’s event. The name of this event reminds me of you. Attached are the pictures I took. Midori( my wife) and Yuzuki(my daughter ) was so exited to see all of the people were in green. After all, I’ve decided the schedule of visit to Vancouver. That is from 5/14 to 5/18. It’s a shame that we can’t see you and Corrine. However, I want to go every place I enjoyed 20 years ago. Do you know if ‘Hotel Kits’ still remains? If you come up with any places to see in Vancouver or Victoria, please let me know.


And I was truly reassured to know you can plan the visit to Japan. I’ll be totally welcome your visit!!! I’ll be in Tokyo next year. I’ll take you to any place in Japan you’re interested in. Please let me know when the detail has been decided. I’m looking forward to seeing you soon. Please send best regards to Corrine. Best, Nobu Hi Nobi-Wan! Trust you, Yuzuki and Midori are well. Am sincerely delighted you will visit Vancouver, even though we will not be there to welcome you. I understand how much you wish to share the city with your family and feel pleased that your experience, as a Host Son, had something to do with your fond memories and experiences in Vancouver. 

Thank you for the snaps of Savannah and the St Patrick's Day Parade. Yuzuki is an absolutely delightful Leprechaun and I'm sure you are a doting father. Thank you for your generous offer of tour guide in Japan. Be careful what you promise as I'm sure, the Fates willing, we will visit Japan next year! Perhaps we can even arrange to have you meet some of our other Japanese Host Students, in Osaka and Sapporo, depending on everyone's schedules, of course. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Nobi-Wan, Midori and Yuzuki.  Cheers, Patrizzio, Host Father Extraordinaire, Philosopher Inscrutable and Single Malt Connoisseur, not to mention Cyclist Incroyable, sometime stooping to Bon VivantHi Patrick, Thank you so much,
I will send a photo reply form Spain next week. I am going on vacation to Andalusia with my wonderful boyfriend Hans :-) No teenagers ;-) XO
Hi Andalusian Woman!mLovely to hear from you and know you are well! Your travel plans sound fabulous! Bravo!! Onward!!! Not sure if you know of mine. I'm flying to Paris on Monday, April 16th, returning July 10th! On May 28th the second guided bike trip begins in Krakow, ending on June 10th. After that I'd like to take train to Aarhus to visit with you and The Teenagers, and meet your "wonderful boyfriend" Hans, if you will be around, after June 10th or so. Anyway, let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Trust you will enjoy the Easter weekend, wherever you are! Regards to Hans and much affection and Cheers to you, my Darling Danish Dynamite, Patrizzio! 

Loved the ecard! Thank you, Papa. The Northridge leprechauns send our love ♡
Hello My Darling, Beautiful Samantha and Assorted Northridge/Glen Valley Leprechauns! Lovely to hear from you and know you enjoyed the card. Very busy here. Trust you will enjoy the coming Easter weekend! Fond regards to you both and everyone else, of course. Much affection and Cheers, Poppa Patrizzio! 

Hi Pat Thx for the St Pattys day card. Would love to get out your way some day.
This summer, we will be in Wpg July 23 through August 10th FYI an update on our recent and planned adventures: Our 7 week vacation last fall to visit our son and daughterinlaw in OZ is in only 267 pictures! https://photos.app.goo.gl/gCTkGKk94uPvBabt1 If you click on each picture there is often a description.

After that excellent experience, was inspired to expand and try new things, joined a big local choir, MFChoir.com Getting together with David Barlow at his choir's upcoming concert in Toronto. You may remember David as our trumpet Player at Daniel. We took an interesting 7 day trip to Cuba and the warm sunshine at the end of February. Will be visiting Geraldine Graham (Pizey) and Family in May in Ottawa. May have dinner with Bill Singleton at her place at that time as well.
 
 
Hello World Travellers! Lovely to hear from you and know you are both well! Glad you enjoyed the card. Your trip to Oz looked fabulous indeed. Many of the wonderful shots looked somewhat familiar as we were first there in 1991 and then four times, subsequently. We've never been to Cuba but have always wanted to do so. You were there while we were finishing up our month in Costa Rica. Have been busy ever since we returned to Penticton on February 25th. Regards to you, Ron, and to Andrea, and the rest of DMCI gang. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment