Monday 26 March 2018

One Table or Two Blues: Monday, March 26th!

Evidence is the only good reason to believe anything. -Richard Dawkins, biologist and author (b. 26 Mar 1941) 

Up to a cloudy morning but at least rain isn't forecast until much later in the day so I should be able to fit in a ride this morning. Bridge tonight but only one table, as a number of people are otherwise engaged or indisposed. 
 
Hi Patrick Wishing you and Corinne Easter Greetings. Thank you for your many cards Colleen (Klink) Hi Colonel! Thanks for the Easter wishes. Hope your weekend goes well in spite of the disturbing news about your tick bite and subsequent nasty infection. Lady Dar informed me of the disturbing development. We both hope the course of antibiotics is doing what needs to be done for a full recovery. On a lighter note, I'm pleased you enjoy the cards. Loved the snap of Ernie  feeding deer! Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë and all the best to you on your recovery, Colonel! Take care of yourself Colleen. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Patrick I hope this finds you doing well!  I was chatting with Chloe last week and she mentioned you were back from your trip and will be heading out again sometime in April – very exciting!  I just thought I would touch base and see if you want or need to set up some time before you go away to review accounts etc..? Let me know your thoughts and I will go from there. Warmest Regards, Tina

Hi Tina! Yes, Lady Dar and I are well, thanks. I've been enjoying riding since being back, although there is still a fair bit of grit on the shoulders. Chloë did mention you would be in touch and so thanks for doing so. I have a dental appointment, this  Wednesday, at 10:00 am so it would be convenient for me to pop by the bank , afterwards, probably sometime between 11:30 am and noon, it that suits you. Aside from review of accounts, I would like to top up my Tax Free account with maximum allowable amount. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Yes I assume they will start cleaning the streets now that the snow is more or less gone! Wednesday works great for me – I will put you in for 11:30am but not to worry if it is closer to Noon.  See you then Warmest Regards, Tina Hi again, Tina! Terrific! See you then. Since I'm having a cleaning maybe I can convince my hygienist to work on the streets as well! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Mill Hill Mob! Trust you and your real Leprechaun friend are well well. Glad you enjoyed the card. Can hardly believe how time is flying by. Ever since returning to Penticton I'm trying to log as much distance as I can before leaving, in preparation for riding in Europe. Yes, I might well be knocking on your door sooner than you think or might like! I'm off on April 16th. Lady Dar will stay as she has more and more weddings!
 
You might remember that I left the folding bike I bought in York with friends who live about two hours from Lyon. [They actually visited this past November.] Since they just confirmed that they won't be back in Chabeuil before the end of April, I've decided I'd like to visit you and your favourite, Jamie, beforehand, if either or both of you will have me! As part of my Grand Freeloading Scheme I'm also hoping to see Gayle and Derek in Cornwall. Again all of this depends on everyone's schedules, etc. I booked my flight from Vancouver to Paris as, at the time, Rosemary and Andre expected to be in Chabeuil in mid-April. 

This would have allowed me to collect my bike, have it serviced, etc., and then make my way to Berne to visit friends there and in Zurich, before making my way to Brno, [stopping in Vienna and Prague], where bike tour starts in the Czech Republic. After Poland I plan to visit Margareta, initially Chloë's nanny in the mid-'80's, in Denmark. From there I would fly to Oslo to visit friend, Patrizzio The Younger, a chef there. We met as volunteers at the Vancouver International Film Festival about eight years ago and he has been and working and studying in Norway for last six years or so. Initially, I had thought I'd then make my way to England but have now had, obviously, to re-think my itinerary. Since I will be flying home from Paris this revised trip probably makes more sense, especially as I will probably leave my bike in Chabeuil again. At any rate, given the fact that you and Madcap seem ever on the move, please let me know what your time looks like for the last two weeks in April. If possible, given train/bus connections, I think I'll try to go to Cornwall from Paris and then work my way north. When I hear back from Derek I'll know more, of course.

Quite cloudy this morning and with wind out of the south I plan to ride to OK Falls later on as it will be at my back, I hope, when I'm making my way home. Let me know what you think, Dearest Penelope, and I'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Duhlink, and Madcap. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Just a quick reply before I turn out the lights! First of all it must be cold in Penticton as you were actually wearing trousers for your bike ride!! We have several trips planned for April: 5th to 7th - surprise trip to Barcelona for mikes sons 50th; 13th to 15th - girlie weekend with Jane in Dorset 19th to 21st - trip to Kerry with Joan so both the O’Deas can revisit their old stomping ground.
Then free til 24th May when we go to Dubrovnik for mikes birthday. So......let me know if late April/early May any good. Love to all Pxx 

Hello Lights Out/Never In One Spot Girl! Just a "short' message before dinner! Thanks for speedy reply. Just heard from Derek and he and Gayle are travelling as much as you and Madcap! That being said, they will be home from Tuesday, April 17th, (day I land In Paris), until Sunday, April 22nd, so it looks like I will be able to fit in with your travel schedule, if that is still fine with you. I'm currently looking at train/bus connections but assume I'd leave Truro on the 22nd, leaving you enough time to do your laundry and stock your wine cellar and malt cabinet before I swan in the door! I haven't yet sent anything to Jamie as I wanted to see what your schedule was like before so doing. If he is around, (not travelling with Bach Choir, per esempio), I will probably stay with them for a bit so I won't outstay my welcome with you. 

Furthermore, in Costa Rica, we met a lovely young couple, Nicky and Paddy Woodrow, and spent most of our evenings with them when we were in Monteverde, having drinks in our rooms and then walking to a fabulous Italian restaurant just around the corner. Food was so wonderful we ate there every night we were in Monteverde. Our hotel was a taxi ride away from the centre of town, such as it was, and we felt we couldn't do better elsewhere. Staff knew us by the time we left so it was fun on many fronts. Even had gluten-free pasta on menu for Lady Dar. Last night I had gnocchi and it was divine. They live in Stanwick and I see it is only about two and a half hours from Mill Hill. If they are around I might pop up for a visit but will have to wait until I hear from them. 

Rosemary and Andre will be back in London towards the end of April and I might stay with them, [Yet to be arranged/confirmed.], for a night or two before Andre and I head back to France. Rosemary won't go to Chabeuil at this time as I believe she has some business trips planned. She is a Director on the board of a number of banks, one in Brussels, one in Dublin. Along with the huge, and I do mean HUGE, farmhouse, [Three stories, six bedrooms, a 
gîte on the ground floor, (Where we usually stay.), not quite an Olympic pool but close enough!], she owns an apartment near Marble Arch so isn't suffering!

Anyway, that is how my UK itinerary is shaping up. If you have any advice regarding trains/buses from Dover to Truro I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm looking at Brit Rail website and I'm sure I can find something but just thought I'd ask in case you might have local knowledge. Must away as I've to prepare a beet and Feta salad. Boiled the beets earlier this afternoon so only need to slice them. Fondestos from Lady Dar, sipping a 2017 8th Generation Pinot Meunier Rosé, 12.3%, to you and Madcap. The sun was shining most gloriously from about 3:00 pm and it was really one of the first days that you could be out with but a light top so she celebrated the coming of the warm weather. [You were right about my riding attire, although I wasn't wearing trousers as you mentioned but rather Lady Dar's Stansfield's, long underwear from the mid-80's, only about 32 years old! We both bought a pair as we needed them when we went back to Winnipeg for Christmas. She and Chloë have apoplectic fits when I ride in them, especially my black ones as they look a bit like Swiss cheese! Even I have to admit that this is probably the last season for both. Time to turn them into bike cleaning rags! Love and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Nicky and Paddy in our room, before dinner; at restaurant, Tramonti, and then with one of the owners, Isabella, making fresh pasta; gnocchi; waiter knew which wine to bring and I now need spectaculars to read menu! Lady Dar's new old, (2003) VW convertible! It has a cassette player! I'm chuffed as I've kept all my tapes in spite of the fact that Lady Dar wanted me throw them away!

Hi Patrizio Just checked dates and your plan looks good. We are back from Ireland on 21st April so will be home from 22nd to 2nd May - going to see a play with Beryl on 25th but Madcap will be around. We go to Grantham on 3rd May then to Derby on 4th and back on 5th May. Too early in day for chatting! See you soon xx  
Hi Dears, How sad is that. Jos & I ended up in the PH emergency room, and we're still there. Jos is still quit sick (affluenza), it was so bad last night that we thought it was pneumonia. I am here for severe lower abdominal pains probably related to my diverticulisis. So, no Kelowna tomorrow night, very disappointing but force majeur. Of course you can still go together. We were looking forward doing this with you. Sorry, 💕Aart & Jos Dear Dutch Patients! Terribly, terribly sorry to learn of your disturbing ailments. Please don't worry about concert. All we want is a speedy return to full health for you both. Of course, we were looking forward to evening's outing but there is so much going on that a "free" night in not at all unwelcome. It has just struck me that I fly to Paris three weeks from today!

Not to make less of your illnesses, I'm sure you were both as shocked as we were to learn of Jud's untimely death. Hard to believe that I was sitting right beside him at the wonderful breakfast only a few weeks ago now. I must say, however, that on reviewing the snaps I took, he did look a tad drawn. Perhaps his health was more fragile than anyone knew. Cannot even begin to imagine the nightmare of grief Louise is undergoing, always a shock but especially difficult when travelling, although having her son there will be everything at such a time. Our hearts go out to her. To end on a positive note, and to give you something to laugh about as you endure the hospital, a few snaps from this weekend. Fondestos to you both from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Gayle and Derek! Trust you are both well. Can hardly believe how time is flying by. Just yesterday it seems we bumped into Krissy at the airport in Costa Rica! I might well be knocking on your door sooner than you think or might like as I fly to Paris, from Vancouver, three weeks today! Anyway, given the fact that you and two seem ever on the move, please let me know what your time looks like for the last two weeks in April. If possible, given train/bus connections, I'd tlike to go to Cornwall from Paris and then work my way north but that is flexible as well. When I hear back from Penny and Jamie, in London, I'll know more, of course. Anyway, let me know what you think about a visit and I'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Must away as we are hosting bridge this evening and I need to shower and change and have dinner before gang arrive. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Krissy in Costa Rica!

Quite cloudy this morning and with wind out of the south I planned to ride to OK Falls later on as it would be at my back when making my way home. However, when I left the house at around 11:30 am wind was blowing so fiercely at 24 kph, [However, it did drop, gradually, towards 17 kph over the last third of the ride and shifted to the SSE.], that I simply couldn't face the blasts along Eastside Road and kept to the more sheltered streets and roads on my standard city ride. Was peppered, on and off, with tiny ice pellets. Forecast was for rain later in afternoon but I think it was too cold for heavens to open. Hills were shrouded in mist, however, and Lady Dar was calling for a fire when I returned.

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2581471259#.WrlqKIR-wIc.email

Wind out of the S at 24 kph but dropping towards 17 kph over the last third of the ride and shifting to the SSE.

hi Patrick, So nice to hear from you but I really don't know or understand how you can find the time or energy to write such long, but wonderful emails out to your huge gang of friends. It is truly remarkable to me. I would just pick up the phone and call.. My life here off the island of Montreal sounds very boring compared to you and lady Dar...We are pretty well settled in the house now, eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring and a BABY! Three more weeks to go till due date but both of mind were over a week late.
 
Glad to hear that Chloe's house will finally be ready. It is quite late, isn't it?
Sounds like a great Easter weekend you have planned. and bike ride to Osoyoos, WOW! Our sons coming in for the weekend from Calgary so looking forward to it and Samantha and Derick will join us for Easter dinner too. Did I tell you that D proposed to Sam at the baby shower in front of a lot of ladies he had never met! Very touching. So now they are talking about a wedding next spring before baby number 2.
 
All is well here. John is playing hockey x2 per week so I have some free time to myself. Missing everyone I was fortunate enough to meet in Penticton.
Good luck with the shoulder. My Penticton friend Lynda Allen has had both of hers replaced and is happily back playing golf as often as possible She is actually bionic as she has had both shoulders, both hips and one knee replaced!!!! If you have any questions and you would like to chat, let me know and I shall give you her number. thanks for keeping me in the loop.....really enjoy it....hi to all the bridge gang I met and Corrine and Chloe too....big hug to you !!!! xoxox b
Hello Montreal! You sound quite busy to me! Yes, I did pick up on proposal during baby shower! I might well call Lynda once I'm back from Europe, so thank you for offering her number. All the best to you and John from Lady Dar and Chloë. Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment