Sunday 4 March 2018

Oscar Sings The Ballot Blues: Sunday, March 4th!

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward. -Spanish proverb


Up a number of times during the early morning, at Lady Dar's request, to see if the cats would come in, having been released into the wild at 3:30 am! No such luck so I ended up reading a chapter of First Snow, Last Light before dozing off again to finally resurface just before 9:00 am. Forecast calls for a little morning snow but I'm hoping if it falls it won't stick so I'll be fine for another ride. Will have to leave around 11:00 am as I need to be back and ready for our Gala Oscar Party with guests to arrive around 4:00 pm.

When Chloë was back from her yoga class she helped me move the coffee table back into the living room and once that was done I had a couple of slices of pizza, overlefts from Friday's dinner and then it was time to suit up. Snow had held off but sky looked like it might send down some flakes at any time. Nevertheless it was -1º C when I set out at about 12:15 pm, with the wind out of NNE at 14 kph, so it was pretty brisk, snow or not. Felt I'd exhausted the Riverside, Lakeshore, Power, Westminster Loop over last four rides so once I'd hit the mini-mall at the bottom of Riverside I returned to the Tennis Club. 

Wanted to see if the paved section of the KVR was clear of snow and ice, [I imagined/hoped it was, given state of rest of city streets.], so turned off on Westminster East, past Cannery Brewing and dipsy-doodled my way to the bottom of the KVR, off Pickering. Much to my delight, and relief, KVR was clear and bone dry so in spite of the wind, I zipped along, bumping into my friends the Quail, scurrying across the trial and then, closer to Vancouver, the usual suspects, a herd of deer, grazing contentedly on a small patch of level ground. There is a small path that loops around the KVR at this point and when I took it to head back down, I had to ride right through the gathering. A few skittish ones retreated but most just gazed at me with their doleful eyes, their Dumbo ears flickering.
Decided I'd make another jaunt along Lakeshore so I did the quick turn-around at the mall and then it was back up Ellis to criss-cross the streets, up and down, Van Horne and Abbott, until it was time to hit the KVR again. No deer this time so I made a quick about face to retrace my previous steps, all the way back to PTC. Only needed one loop of the marina before I was ready to make for home and with the wind at my back I was home before I knew it, a few minutes after 3;00 pm, in plenty of time to ready myself for coming Oscar bash, to start at 4:00 pm. Go Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2535258573#.WpyC8Vvzxng.email

Anyway, we really enjoyed Oscars as we had scads of snacks, (cheese, dips, crackers, vegetable sticks), plus Lady Dar's fabulous chicken wings, and plenty of wine, of course. [We were all so full, after wings were served, that didn't have room for her squash soup and will have it for dinner tomorrow night!] 




Originally, good friends from the Lower Mainland were to attend. Rebecca was with Avery and Ashlynn, their young daughters, visiting family in Kamloops, on the weekend and drove to Kelowna, on Sunday, to pick up Corey, flying from Calgary. However, by the time they were at their hotel, Summerland Waterfront Resort, they phoned to say that the girls were too tired. Not to mention the parents, I'm sure! So there were just the four of us, Lady Dar, Chloë, myself and Michelle Dunn! I call her my cousin even though we are not related! Chloë printed out ballots and she and her Mom were tied with 13 correct choice, I had 9 while poor Michelle was last with 5. Not bad as she had only seen one of the nominated films!
 
Hello Fartograms, We will be doing Fire Mountain tomorrow with the hope that the snow is not too bad. Please take your cleats/crampons if you have them. Fire Mountain is a relatively easy hike with beautiful views. As usual we will gather at Home Hardware in Penticton at 9:00AM. Those coming from Summerland should come together at the IGA parking lot at 8:40AM then make their way to Penticton HH. Hope to see you there! Cheers, Grandpa Aart (... still young at heart) and Uncle Tony (... the mountain goat) See you tomorrow morning. Thanks Aart and Tony Timgood morning! I have an appointment tomorow morning, but you are all welcome to come here for coffee after your hike, I will be home by 11:30..it's snowing big fat flakes here right now, enjoy Fire Mountain! Hanneke

No comments:

Post a Comment