Friday 30 March 2018

Spirit Ridge Long Haul Blues: Good Friday, March 30th!

We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. -Anna Sewell, writer (30 Mar 1820-1878)




Hi Patrick. Thought I would get this email off since for the next three days we are at Trelissick organising Easter Egg hunts for all the visiting kiddies! Wether I can resist eating one or two myself is unlikely! We then have to drive to Hampshire on Monday to pick up the grandson for half term and bring him back here.

You can purchase a return train ticket from Dover (Dover Priory station) to Truro. No direct trains so on the way down you will most likely have to change a couple of times. I think it will be Dover to St Pancras then tube to Paddington for onward travel to Truro. Probably take about 6 or so hours.

If you are leaving Truro on Sunday 22nd your return journey will be the same in reverse. The only difference is they are presently doing some upgrading works on the Truro to London part of the track so at St Austell they will transfer you to a coach to Plymouth where you will join a different train to Paddington. This will increase your travel time by about an hour so you will need to take this into account if you have a ferry booking that day. I would suggest you go to the UK Trainline website for tickets: <www.the trainline.com> You can normally pick up discounted fares if you book in advance.

Please let us know your travel itinerary when you have it. Sorry to have to push you out by the 22nd but Gayle will need to get bedding done etc before our cat sitter arrives in the evening. Must dash Gayle is on the warpath! Best wishes
Derek Forgot to say you are welcome to use my bike while you are here. I have still maintained it so it’s in good condition. Will try to do a few coastal hikes while you are here as well to keep your fitness levels up for the cycle section if your trip! 


Hi Easter Egg Hunt Organizers! Thanks for very helpful, quick reply. Appreciate knowing what I'm likely to face. However, when I leave Truro, on Sunday, April 22nd, I'm making for London, not Dover. I realize, from what you have outlined, there are no direct trains but when I leave for France will most certainly take Eurostar so won't have to worry about ferry connections. Thanks for the website address as well. Please don't worry about pushing me out as leaving then works exceedingly well for me, in terms of friends in London. They will be in Dublin until Saturday, April 21st, so I'm on the revolving door plan! Appreciate your offer of your bike and I might take you up on it but I'd also be keen on some coastal hikes, given, if nothing else, how stunning the landscape is.

Must away as I just took a look at the forecast. Yesterday wind was predicated to be out of the North but now from the South West at 15 kph so I'll be bucking it all, or most of the way, to Osoyoos. Still, I can't complain as last time I rode this route, last August, it was an ever fiercer head-wind, steady at between 30-40 kph, gusting to over 60 kph! On one stretch, along Skaha Lake, a very exposed section at water level, I had to stand up and could only barely move! Took over six hours for what should, ordinarily, have been 3.5 hours. Will certainly let you know my itinerary as soon as it is concretized. Thanks again. Happy Easter to you and Gayle. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Lady Patrizzia and Sir James! Trust you are both well. Will you be singing over the Easter weekend, Sir James? I have arranged to stay with Penny, upon arrival in London, April 22nd, but I hope to see you both, if you are around. Let me know your plans for time I'll be in London and I'll plan accordingly. Happy Easter Egg Hunting to The Amersham Royalty! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Didn't go to bed until 1:00 am, this morning, by the time I'd sent as many messages as my drooping eyelids would allow. Duke cooperated by not insisting he and Etta be let out until 5:00 am. I opened the cat door at this time and wasn't bothered again, until 7:05 am, when Duke bounded onto the bed, announcing it was time for breakfast. Happy to have had as much uninterrupted sleep as I had enjoyed, I was happy to comply and fed him his ration of pumpkin and he licked his plate clean. Etta did the same when she came inside. Left their crunchies in their bowls and they seemed quite pleased with this arrangement, stopping for a bite whenever they came in over the course of the morning. 

I digitated until about 8:45 am and then zapped tasty overlefts for breakfast. While I munched, I filled my camel pack with the few things I wanted to take down with me and then went next door to chat with Amanda about the care and feeding of our the felines while we were at Spirit Ridge. She and her daughter, Kayla, have often looked after Duke and Etta while we and/or Chloë have been away for  a few days. Was ready to roll by 10:11 and after wishing both Duke and Etta a Happy Easter weekend, I made for Government. AccuWeather forecast suggested that the wind was out of the SSW at 15 kph. Yesterday's prognostication was for the wind to be out of the North but I knew, in my heart of hearts that this prediction would not come true since I was going to be riding South. 

Now, of course, according to Whirlygig's Law, [The cyclist's equivalent of Murphy's Law, "You will always be riding into a head wind whichever direction you choose!", I would be bucking it all, or most of the way, to Osoyoos. Still, I couldn't really complain as last time I rode this route, with Lovely Liisa, last August, it was an ever fiercer head-wind, steady at between 30-40 kph, gusting to over 60 kph! On one stretch, along Skaha Lake, a very exposed section at water level, I had to stand up and could only barely move, on my carbon-fibre Trek! Poor Liisa was riding my twice as heavy Brodie so her struggle was far, far more difficult. Fortunately she was only going as far as Tinhorn Creek, [to stay in Luxury! Sheer Luxury, with Joan and Paul], just outside of Oliver but it took me over six hours to reach Osoyoos, for what should, ordinarily, have been but a 3-3.5 hour ride.

Sun was shining and it was pleasantly warm, at 9º C, so I set off with high hopes. As I made my way along South Main I was pleasantly surprised to find that the wind was more of a cross-wind and I only really felt significant resistance whenever Eastside Road snaked in a westerly direction. Made it to OK Falls and past Tickleberry's by about 11:15 am, almost exactly 20 km, so I knew I was riding at just under 20 kph, something I had certainly not expected at the outset. More surprises awaited as I made my way towards Gallagher Lake and I whizzed along, for much of the time between 25 kph to 33 kph! This filled me with a great deal of hope for the rest of the ride as I knew, from past experience, that if the wind direction remained the same I would most certainly have a true tail-wind on the run from Oliver to Osoyoos.

Was on Main Street in Oliver by about five minutes past noon so I knew I was above my basic 20 kph AVG and climbing! Few moments of doubt as I rode the rolling stretch out of town as the wind was fierce as fierce could be. Even though it was mostly a cross-wind my progress was considerably slowed while roadside hanging signs were flying sideways and I rode through clouds of dust, swirling from the vineyards and orchards along the way. However, once past turnoff for Tinhorn Creek I was swinging the world by the tail and literally raced along at above 30 kph, more or less, all the way to Osoyoos, only dropping below 20 kph on the slight hill before the outskirts to the town. 

I had told Lady Dar that I expected to arrive at Spirit Ridge between 2:00 pm- 3:00 pm but as the resort came into view, on my left, as I traversed the bench leading to Osoyoos it was around 12:40 pm so I felt I would be there shortly after 1:00 pm given remaining distance. Only concern I had was how difficult it would be to maintain any speed once I turned of highway to make my way up the slight climb to Spirit Ridge. More importantly, I would then be heading right into the wind and what had been hurtling me along would than be slamming me backwards. Turned out not to be quite as bad as I had feared. Although run to hill was a bit of a battle the grade itself actually shielded me from the worst of the gusts and I reached the outside parking area at 1:10 pm! Hip Hip Hooray!

Pulled up at reception to obtain a key to our unit and then stopped at the pool to say hello to the gang, swimming or sitting on deck chairs, enjoying the sunshine, although the wind made it a tad coolish. Once in the suite I changed into my swimming togs and then plugged in my odometre to see what my AVG had been. Was more than chuffed to see it was 23.1 kph! Had dreamed, hoped it would be above 22 kph so was elated with result, especially after last year's ordeal. Think it might well be the best AVG for any of my rides here and certainly brings home the degree to which wind plays in determining the outcome of a given ride. I've always maintained that climbs, steep or gradual, often pale in comparison to the challenges Aeolus is wont to throw in the faces of his opponents. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2589916211#.Wr6oUL0_A_c.email

Excellent news and pictures! Congratulation.....you made great time to Oso........in such a wind....amazing endurance.....Your description and details of the ride are very special. So perfect that you are able to experience such an ordeal....We are fine here, but do miss the wine tasting.....you guys are so lucky to live there.

We had to leave two weeks early due to some health problems with close friends here, who had an exam....turned out to be a growth in his cranium....so awaiting a surgeon to possibly investigate if cancer....or what. Guess these things never do end....although he suffers from almost blindness and is a diabetic....so it goes.We loved hearing from you folks; and hope you all stay well......lots of love, a Happy Easter and the best to you both.....and your feline friends which we enjoy hearing about too......xxxxxx


Patrick, How exciting to be off to Europe for 3 months. If you do emails keep us in the loop. My word you are going to be the bionic man with another replacement part. You certainly do well despite your failing joints. Sounds like you are keeping very busy as usual. It was nice to see a couple of pictures of you for a change. I trust you are enjoying your luxurious weekend at Spirit Ridge - it is a beautiful spot.

We are off to Vancouver tomorrow am. and back on the 11th of April. We will have the kids for Easter dinner and then Cliff and Ashley are coming to stay for a week. We have lots planned including a golf game for everyone except me but I do get to join them for dinner. We were given tickets to see Rod Stewart so that should be a good show. We asked friends from Kitimat to join us as he had a heart transplant and is in Vancouver for his check up. He is amazing as Gerry played pickle ball with him last week. It is astounding what medicine can do. Got lots to do to get ready for the plane tomorrow. Hugs to you and your good wife and daughter. Cheers, Dawn PS We had another snow storm yesterday but fortunately today it melted as it was sunny - when will winter end?
 

Hi, Patrick: Thanks for this and I am replying quickly and briefly . . . just to let you know that I will be sending Easter greetings to my Polish contacts (Easter being a very HUGE thing in Poland) and  will mention that I will be sharing their email addresses with you.  They will be fine with that, I'm sure. I'll send you a proper message next week, which may include much rambling about Poland.  I've been twice, most recently last fall, as I think you know. Happy Easter and love to everyone at Burns Street / Spirit Ridge. Janet
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment