Sunday 18 March 2018

Ski Brings Cape Breton to the Burns Street Blues: Sunday, March 18th!

There is no doubt that I have lots of words inside me; but at moments, like rush-hour traffic at the mouth of a tunnel, they jam. -John Updike, writer (18 Mar 1932-2009)




Hi, Patrick and Corinne: I had hoped to visit you in Penticton again before now -- but time seems to rush by so quickly. I have recently been dogged by low-level but persistent seasonal illness too, though I am cautiously optimistic that
I have now turned the proverbial corner.

In any event, thank you for the charming St. Patrick's Day e-card.  Though I am not Irish, I was working yesterday and marked the occasion by presenting a "Researching Your Irish Family History" workshop. This brought the leprechauns to Dunbar yesterday morning, notwithstanding the brilliantly sunny weather. It was probably my last genealogy workshop at VPL, as I have been specifically instructed not to offer them any longer (which is rather baffling, in view of their popularity).

Well, there is another reason too, as I am now in the run-up to retirement, with my final day of going-to-work expected to be May 23. Then I'll go into "quota run-off," ending on July 31, with August 1 being the first day that I qualify for un-reduced pension. Between May 23 and August 1, I'll be hitting my 60th chronological milestone, on Canada Day. Since the last year or so at work has been extremely challenging, with some considerable disappointments, I am endeavouring to plan a special retirement/60th birthday celebration that will tip the balance back so that I launch into the retirement phase (and my 7th decade) on a celebratory note. The evolving plan is to hire a local historian (John Atkin) for a guided walk, starting late afternoon, leaving from Library Square (symbolically) and ending at an Italian restaurant in Gastown for dinner in a private dining room. I've checked the date and availability of the guide and the restaurant -- Canada Day does work, so the date is set.

As I have to confirm and pay a deposit, I am sending out "SAVE THE DATE"
messages now. I'm pretty sure that you can't be there, Patrick, as a looming 3-month trip to Europe, beginning in April, was mentioned when we spoke briefly on the telephone during your recent visit to Vancouver. And I know that it's a long way for you, Corinne -- however, it would be really lovely if you could manage it (maybe in combination with some other Lower-Mainland plans). You have both been in since pretty much the beginning of my library journey, after all! There will be a few other VPLers there, including Andrew Martin, Tim Firth, Stephanie Kripps, and perhaps Guy Cribdon.

Please let me know about that, and in any event, I hope to get to Penticton in the summer. One of the things I am most looking forward to about retirement is the much-increased flexibility for scheduling . . . everything, from appointments to travel. Hope this finds both of you well, and your loved ones too. All the best,
Janet


Hi Janet! Sorry to hear about your "persistent seasonal illness" and hope you are well on the mend now. Even sorrier that I will not be able to attend your terrific guided walk and retirement/60th birthday celebration! Thanks for the invitation but as you mention, I'll still be in Europe on July 1st. I know Lady Dar would love to join you but I also know her wedding commitments are coming in fast and furious so not sure what her schedule will allow. She will be in touch as soon as she has a better idea of "things". Glad you enjoyed the  the card! All the best to you, Janet. Please be in touch about a visit as we'd love to see you when timing works! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, Thanks for the photographs from Ted's celebration of life. I recognized Liz Neal who I used to teach with at Kits and who was one of the speakers. Saw Branco also. One of our friends, Margaret O'Brien, was in attendance. Busy digging the turf off the front boulevard the last few days. It has been savaged by crows and raccoons and I'm fed up of re-seeding. Almost ready for Sylvia to start planting and no grass to cut at the front any more. Ray
Hi Raymondo! Trust you are well and not suffering from a sore back as a result of your turf removal project. We only have a small patch of grass, on the front boulevard, so I'm delighted not to have to continuously water and cut our xeriscape landscaping! For much of the spring and early summer, the rain cisterns take care of our raised garden beds. Garlic shoots are already pushing through so very pleased about that! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Sylvia. We'll connect, at some point, I trust, one way or tother! Cheers, Patrizzio!
PS: Liz delivered an extremely moving election on Ted's life. Not sure if I know Margaret. Was she the one who suffered the terrible accident in Peru?
Shor and begorrah Patrick, it was a green day yesterday (now why don't they make it earth day instead of later in the month?) Missed you at the scotch tasting, just didn't seem the same. Hope to see you and Corinne sometime soon. Lynn Hi Patrick, thank you and a happy St Patrick's Day to you too. I hope everything is going well well for you. Greetings from me, here in sunny Brisbane. I am having a break from the the Darwin weather for a few months.
Best wishes, Jenne
Hi Jenne! Lovely to hear from you. Trust you are well. Glad you enjoyed the card and trust life in sunny Brisbane is providing needed respite from Darwin's weather. Have you been in touch with Claire? Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Jenne. We'll connect, at some point, in the not too, too distant future, I trust, one way or tother! Cheers, Patrizzio!Pics: Friend Whirlygig. We were squash/cycling mates before he moved to Galiano, one of Gulf Islands off Vancouver Island, and we moved to the Okanagan! He happened to be in Vancouver a number of weeks ago when I was also in city.
 
Didn't leave for my ride until just after 3:00 pm, today, as I wanted to wash all three of my bikes and oil the chains and gears, as well. Good friend, Ski, (aka Rhoda MacCormick), will be visiting, from Cape Breton, for next few days and she wants to ride. This being the case I wanted to make sure tires were inflated to correct pressure as I've not ridden my Brodies since last Fall and when I did it was quite dusty on the KVR, hence the wash. My Trek was in pretty good nick as last few rides have been on bone-dry streets. Still a good cleaning never hurts. Once finished I locked the Brodies together, around one of the gazebo posts, in the back yard as it will be  easier for Ski to decide which bike suits her before we hit the KVR tomorrow morning.

While sun was shining gloriously when I was washing and oiling, cloud cover increased by the time I was ready to roll so I wore my clear riding glasses and set off. Wind was out of the North at 13 kph so I thought I would set off for Summerland but once I was on Riverside I realized that the bike path at the north end of Trout Creek was still closed so I decided I'd head for OK Falls once I'd clocked first third, (17 km), of the proposed distance, around the Power Street/Westminster Loop. However, by the time I'd logged this I convinced myself that I wasn't ready to battle the steady wind along Skaha and then up South Main and Government so took the line of least resistance and used the loop around SOEC instead.

I'd didn't ride there this past Thursday as there was a hockey tournament on and place was crawling with cars, buses and people. However, today, place was almost completely deserted so I had unobstructed access to the large parking lots which surround the complex. As well, large buildings  provide some shelter from the wind to I was pleased to whiz around and around and around until I had about 48 km on the clock and then made my way back home, along Wade, a route I've not taken before, to Winnipeg, with a slight jog to Main and then onto White and I was laughing, in large part, because I knew I had probably broken the 20 kph AVG barrier which all my rides, since returning from California, have been below. No climbs on today's route, of course, but still I was delighted to have managed to have "shattered" the glass ceiling! Furthermore, just as I passed Burns I saw Ski alighting from her car so my timing was perfect!

After I stowed my Trek, we greeted one another and had a short visit before Lady Dar and ChloĆ« took her for a walk on the KVR. She wanted a bit of exercise after her drive and it gave me a chance to shower and change and tend the fire. Must away to open some wine, ready for the return of The Sisterhood! Cheers! 

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2564749252#.Wq8cn10im9E.email 

Finally realized that I have on my phone an inbuilt app that can do all of these and more! Also, I finally made it to Santa Susana Pass to the very top, non stop and in fact, under 30 mins from the base of the school down hill. Thanks for your encouragement. I have not gotten my special riding shoes etc. Just not into those gears yet but perhaps in future. Please don't surprise me with such, knowing you lol...Got new tire for my back wheel, as the old one I had during your visit was deflating incessantly. Changed my sitting gear with a gel cushioned one now as well. 

 
Life, health, job, Barakat are all great. Her papers got approved and we are both excited. Hope you are doing incredibly well and all your loved ones? Best regards to all. Are you in Europe or where in the world? Best wishes! WAD  Hi Santa Susana Pass Super-cyclist! Congratulations, indeed, on your wonderful accomplishment! Unfortunately, for me, I won't be able to keep up with you now! Great that you have had your bike upgraded and shoes are next. Terrific about phone app for bike, as well! Onward!!!! Wonderful news about Barakat so I'm sure that is a considerable relief.

Sorry for the delay in my response but life seems to have been extremely busy ever since we arrived back in Penticton on February 25th. We will spend Easter weekend at Spirit Ridge, along with good friends, Famiglia Sutherland, our first stay in the recreational property, (Fractional Condo!), we purchased this past November. Hoping weather will cooperate as I usually ride to Osoyoos from here, only about 60 km but I often try to make it a 100 km outing by doing about 40 km, here in town, before heading south.Take care of yourself, Cyclist Extraordinaire, and all the best to you, Wole! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Old Farts, Last week…great weather, great snow, great company! This week, we are planning to snowshoe in the area to the west of Nickel Plate Nordic Centre. We will: -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland) -carpool and drive to an area near the old cemetery west of Nickel Plate. -snowshoe (I plan on keeping it very gentle. If others wish, they may find something challenging.) -gather afterwards for coffee and debriefing (possibly The Edge at Apex) -return. If you wish to join In, give me a nod. Looking forward to seeing you. Cheers, Jim 

Hi Fartograms, This week Chuck is leading a hike on Cartwright Mtn which should be relatively gentle (or not, you will just have to come and see!) Same info as usual- meet at HH Penticton at 0840 and IGA Summerland at 0900. Cheers Tony the mountain goat & Aart the messenger 

No comments:

Post a Comment